Glenwood Autism and Behavioral Health Center

Glenwood Autism and Behavioral Health Center Employee Reviews

Fast pace with amazing co workers
Residential Instructor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 1, 2018
I worked for Glenwood at Daniel House II. I left there in June 2017 after working there for 1.5 Year’s. I had the opportunity to work with individuals that come from horrible circumstances who really just want someone to listen, and treat them with kindness and respect. My co workers were some of the most compassionate, hard working, and committed people I’ve ever met. I didn’t realize it at the time but it was the most rewarding, exciting experience I’ve ever had. The pay isn’t great but what job in health care is. I would work there again for sure if I still lived in the area. Yea, it’s stressful but it’s never boring and everyone that works at Glenwood give every bit of themselves to what they do. If you want a challenge while making a difference in kids lives, and work alongside top notch co workers. Glenwood is it for sure.
Pros
Building connections with kids, amazing co workers, exciting work place.
Cons
At times short staffed
A Day at Glenwood
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 29, 2018
In 2014 I enjoyed working for Glenwood and everything went well each day I enjoy working and Teaching Adults and Children with Autism. One thing I learned is that you must love what you do each day and working with special needs people because some days are more challenging then others. .But each day can be enjoyable and a learning and teachable moment if you as the teach keep and open mine and is always ready for change.
Pros
free lunch and 1 15 min break for person phone calls.
Cons
no pay raises
Great place to work with wonderful individuals
Residential Instructor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 11, 2018
Interacting with the individuals on a day to day was one of the best parts of the job. Being able to meet new people and learn more about Autism and how to help those that have it.
Productive and busy work place
Residential Instructor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 7, 2018
Very busy everyday. I learned how to patiently deal with a large group of clients at once. The hardest part of the job was to see autistic people struggle with following directions sometimes and having to figure out solutions in what where very difficult situations.
Enjoyable experience meet a lot of new friends
Behavioral Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 23, 2017
Working at the day treatment, was very entertaining. I learned how to communicate with individuals who where verbal and non verbal. The management needed some work, but we are all a work in progress. I really leaned a lot from this job.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
weight gain
Rewarding job, great hours, overtime availability
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 9, 2017
A good place to work, great working hours, opportunity to get overtime, staff were friendly, management knowledgeable and helpful, job was stressful at times, benefits were good
Pros
Great working hours, enjoyed working with kids and adolescents, good benefits
Cons
Can be stressful at times
Great experience for someone new in the mental health field
Residential Instructor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 24, 2017
This was my first job in the mental health field after I graduated from college. I enjoyed it immensely, and learned a lot about the practical implementation of behavior analysis principles.
My experience
Domestic Engineer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 28, 2017
i will recommend this employer to a friend because it's a excellent work environment and the employee's are very friendly. I made several friends working their and we still keep in touch to see how each other are doing.
N/a
Lead Residential Instructor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 26, 2017
Glenwood has terrible management. They only set the rules for what works for them as managers. That's unfair, and I say that because that was the only times rules were brought up.
Wonderful clients
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 16, 2017
I had difficulties with my direct manager asking me to do things I felt were unethical. I did not manage to handle the situation on my own and ended up leaving. She left shortly after I did when confronted with the issues I brought up in my exit interview. The clients and families I worked with were amazing and I had some amazing co-workers. If you enjoy working with individuals who have autism spectrum disorders this is a great place to work in many ways.
Great Experience
Residential Instructor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 29, 2017
Working for this company allows its workers to get real life experience with individuals with co-occurring disorders. Additionally, the individuals served are also living with an Autism spectrum disorder. This place allows one the opportunity to move up the ladder but only a after staying within a position for at least 6months
Pros
great experience
Cons
mental health can decline rapidly
Autism
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 19, 2017
Evaluated behavioral and educational progress in classroom setting for designated students.
Provided direct service and fulfilled professional development requirements and followed professional guidelines.
Pros
Teaching children and Adults with Autism
Cons
A lot of injures happen on the job.
Unique workplace
Caretaker DSP (Former Employee) –  Plentywood, MTJuly 17, 2017
Taking care of the residents with everyday activities. Participating in leisures, outdoor/indoor activities, cooking, exercising, physical health, and mental well-being 24/7.
Pros
Relationships with the residents and co-workers
Terrible
Residential Instructor (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, AL 35242June 26, 2017
This company doesn't appreciate their employee's, nor do they respect the staff here. They talk down to the staff, under pay staff, and is a place that allows harsh and meaningless words circulate throughout their facility. They don't give enough raises, their bonus is a fluck because you're taxing money that is suppose to be a bonus. The bonus has a stipulation is only offered every 3 to 6 months then 6 month to a yr before you recieve and annal bonus that you get the next month after your year. The food is horrible that we have to serve and there isn't a way to really communicate how you feel without someone getting smart with you and being rude.
interacting with behavior kids an the autistic kid, there are/were great
Residential Instructor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 10, 2017
Typically a work day consisted of but is not limited to, feed, showering,dressing, and help to reach their daily goals! I have learn to be aware of autistic triggers, and trying to use deescalating methods to neutralize situation. Management was great very understanding, an was always reachable at any time during any shift. The hardest part of my job was learning everybody triggers from each individuals. establishing a relationship with everyone involve with the individual served.
Pros
family environment
Cons
u would have to be relived from ur job duties!
Very Unprofessional Workplace
Intevention Counselor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 19, 2017
This company is not very professional. Hired me knowing medical history. Didn't bother to inform me of agility test, and didn't call to tell me no longer hired.
Laid back and fun work environment
Recreational Therapist/Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 17, 2017
A day at Glenwood can be challenging considering the population being served, however it is very rewarding to see students/clients make progress. As long as there is a passion to serve others then your job will be easy.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Work load
Calm environment with excellent CEO who cared about staff
Senior Therapist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 6, 2017
My day was spent doing assessment, counseling, and documentation.
It was located in a beautiful setting.
Staff had access to a lake and rowboats if they wanted; there was a nice area for walking.
The CEO always distributed gift cards and bonuses around the holidays.
Co-workers were very pleasant to be around.
Glenwood
staff member (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 1, 2017
Glenwood is a good housing facility for people with Autism and other disabilities. It does not provide many opportunities for these people other than a place to live. Management is not involved with people, don't treat staff fairly, and are the only people get raises.
Okay company to have a job, but not enough pay and no room for advancement.

Also, Glenwood hires people from out in the community rather than giving the staff at Glenwood a chance. Also, management has given new staff higher pay than staff that have been there a long time.
Pros
visit with people with autism, learn to complete paperwork
Cons
rude management, low wages, no room for advancement
Good place with flexible hours
Senior Residential Instructor/Acting Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 20, 2017
This is a very fun and secure place to work if you are interested in working with individuals with intellectual disabilities (autism). Pay is good. Job is secure.