Global Brands Group Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Don’t bother unless you get a real good salary from the beginning
Senior designer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 14, 2018
This place at this moment is again restructuring, upper management is not communicating or does a good job to make ppl feel better about the uncertainty. They had a townhall for everyone to ask questions, but it was a room full of ppl that just received their reviews - almost everyone did not get any raises or what they were promised (the review period is in July- so you have to wait until then to see if you are getting a raise or not)

This company could be good if you are a manager and were able to negotiate a good salary, Bcs for the past few years no real raises were done or bonuses, and since you have to wait until July to figure it out makes it very hard for you to try to find something new. The people you will work with are great, but they can be the only reason you stay for so long.

Benefits are really good, the HR and upper management helping you to go to the next step of your career with a market competitive salary, they are worth it.
Pros
Coworkers, benefits
Cons
No openness, heavy workload, really long hours, uncertainty, no recognition, no reward for hard work
To relaxed
Processing lead (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAJuly 12, 2018
People took advantage of management. There wasn’t any consequences for laziness. Hard workers weren’t acknowledged or rewarded for their duties except for more work from what the lazy people didn’t finish. Supervisors don’t do much and leave all the work for their leads then take the credit
Cons
No work life balance. Not enough pay. Little to no advancement
Excell
Technical Designer (Former Employee) –  NYC, NYJune 25, 2018
The environment was relaxed easy going, people were very nice. My boss/manager at the time was very supportive, encouraging
knowledgable and was an exceptional nice individual.
Pros
very relaxed environment
Cons
none really
Started out Great, but declined over the years
Director of Accounting (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJune 18, 2018
Working at GBG was a chaotic experience. Change happened constantly and without much communication. No strategic vision or if there was one it was not communicated well.

The people were great and deserved better management than they receive. The former CFO was amazing and after his departure they just got rid of the people who wanted to make a difference and succeed.
Great Oppurtunity to focus skills.
Art Technician (Graphic Designer) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 15, 2018
Loved being able to design apparel featuring popular characters. They allowed a large degree of autonomy, as long as the initial parameters of the assignment were stuck to.
Too much uncertainties
Fabric R&D (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 12, 2018
* Constant restructuring
* Poor management by upper management, for example we would find out about the changes in the brands that we are working on through media and not from our management
Pros
convenient location
Cons
constant restructuring and uncertainties
highly stressful place to work
Production Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PAMay 14, 2018
GBG is not interested in the employee. They are interested in the bottom financial line. I learned about multiple facets of the corporate world because when I started there it was a privately held company that was bought out by a world wide public company.The people I worked with were great. It was the corporate people in NY that didn't seem to care about the employees that weren't in the NY office.
It was a design collection project
Acessories Designer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 10, 2018
The global brands group work, was a group work design collection project carried out by me and my colleagues. We were supposed to design a collection for cold weather accessories and belts for fall winter 2019.
Loved work life balance. Job not secure. Lots of travel.
Mid-Atlantic Regional Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 7, 2018
I was laid off, so job was not secure. They did not understand the impact of having a team out in the field. Work/life balance was great! I was able to make my own schedule and visit stores when it worked for my personal life. Management was not very supportive.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Travel
Weak Management and Strategic Thinking
Vice President (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 25, 2018
GBG is a combo of many M&A companies, so there is no one cohesive, consistent well thought off strategy.
Management are not professional and not prepared for their role, the CFO is not connected to the CEO which creates many points of confusion
Also, HR are super weak, BCBG last acquisition is a group of very difficult people to work with let alone not talented.

I wouldn’t recommend anyone to work here.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Weak management and strategic thinking
Former contractor
Contract -to hire (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCApril 23, 2018
GBG was a very bad experience coming from a professional background. The atmosphere was very unprofessional, People walked around cursing out loud and thought it was fine, the dress code was so unprofessional, The ladies dresses were up to their butts. I get that its a high end fashion company but there should be a professional standard for a corporate office. There was no training, you were passed around and told to watch and was constantly told why you should not be setting with them, by the person you were seated with. Management should be retrained to managed with a purpose and personality. Everyone was so tense not really enjoying their position. I was unfairly treated without care, I was apologized to for not being treated fairly and Human Resource acknowledge their failure but was unwilling to correct it.. Instead I was told I may not be the right fit, I found that funny coming from a bunch of misfits one way or another. I took that as a complement once I thought about it. I just thank God because he knew that I did not need to be in that type of environment for a long period of time. I pray that the company and people do well in the future.They cause me some pain, but all is well, They are forgiven, but to warn others and to be fair....

Words of advice: If you are use to working in a professional atmosphere with professional colleagues who respect one another, willing to help each other for the benefit of the company, and who can also respect you as an individual this may not be the place for you. Give them 10 years in Greensboro and they maybe the best place to
  more... work, Who knows. Wishing the Company well. BTW..I met some very nice people their who did try to fix the wrong they saw but they too was just limited to what they could do.  less
Pros
it was a job
Cons
The company seriously needs to invest in good management and training if they want the best results.
Lack of job security
Assosiate Account Executive (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 20, 2018
In the recent years, there has been a sense of job security as several positions have been relocated out of state. I enjoy the benefits but the hours are long because the tasks are many.
All work no play
Accessory Designer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 18, 2018
You are expected to work late. They will tell you its not expected but if you don't work till atleast 730pm everyday you will get attitude. There work load is for like 3 peoples load but its expected to be done yesterday. You get paid well for your position but make sure to arrange this in the beginning because once you are hired its hard to get pay raises. Expect to travel.
Pros
good discounts, good employees
Cons
no breaks, long hours, cut throught magement
Good Intern Experience
Brand Management Intern - Bob Marley Group (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 1, 2018
I was an intern for Global Brands Group in the Brand Management Division. My manger was rather hands off and even if I asked her for more work I did not often have something to do.
Fragmented Company Trying to Find Itself
CFO (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COMarch 23, 2018
GBG is the collection of many different acquisitions. They need to communicate a central strategy the mirrors the businesses that have been acquired. They have a revenue strategy, as opposed to brand strategy.
Gbg
A MEMBER OF THE FUNG GROUP (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 23, 2018
Work day- 9-6 PM
Learned-Management and problem solving skills
Management- very loose
Culture-Not the best for long term development- you are is always waiting for a shoe to drop
Hardest part of the job- the people
Most enjoyable- the people
packing department
packing department supervisor (Former Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYMarch 20, 2018
Over all Buffalo Jeans wasn't a bad place to work. It was always very busy with a lot of orders to hang, pull, and box. I liked that every day had its own projects and challenges to overcome.
Pros
lots of overtime
Cons
low rate of pay
Great work environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMarch 19, 2018
I interned at Global Brands Group over a summer and had a great experience. The part that stuck out the most to me was how friendly and relaxed the work environment was (however the people also do work very hard).
good place to work, needs better management
Designer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 18, 2018
GBG is a great company, a rarity in the fashion industry that promotes a work-life balance, with a great office culture filled with young creatives and a ton of exciting opportunities.

The downside to this place, is the staid, old guard of management style, with poor leadership, hindering the growth of so many creative employees, and the lack of ingenuity, and risk taking when it comes to the new retail model of the future.
Good company. Inconsistent corporate message.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 9, 2018
Overall good company to work for. Benefits and compensation are competitive. Corporate culture is incredibly inconsistent and varies greatly from brand to brand depending on who is managing.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Global Brands Group. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight