Global LT

Global LT insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction

Really wished there were more opportunities

I felt that this job allowed you to meet a lot of amazing students. The downfall was the fact that I always had to drive more than 40 minutes to get to where the students' lived. Mainly what you're getting paid could be used primarily for gas money and the wear and tear of your car.

Pros

Creating your on schedule, paid on time as long as paperwork is submitted correctly, reimbursement for materials bought for student

Cons

Moments where students aren't available, The closest students always seem to be located at least an hour away.

Was good some 2 years ago, but now a disaster

Global LT seems to have one goal only: increase benefits for investors on the shoulders of their partners! This spring the introduced a new qualification system: gold, silver and bronce partners. The proble; the lowest salary (in Switzerland 30 USD) is gold a reasonable (42 USD) is bronce. This "great news" was introduced by one of the most arrogant persons I have ever met in my more than 40 years of business experience. Secondly they outsoruce all administrational work to teachers and students using a new plattform that creates many errors, i.e. hours and expenses not paid (official reason the system did not reckognize the uploaded file....) Talking to the upper management it was confirmed that money is the only thing that counts for the investors. Local supporters basically are good (UK based) but are hold back by the US managament.

Pros

Meeting interesting people

Cons

lousy payment, too much unpaid administrational work

Not applicable

I enjoy teaching very much. Instructions are clear and easy to follow. Communication is also easy and simple. The company has been very understanding in my personal issues.

Love it!

I would do this full-time, if they had the demand. Unfortunately, their demand has been on the decline recently. This is due to many factors this year, not the quality of the organization or the instructors.

Pros

Great students, autonomy

Cons

few hours

Ambiente laboral bueno, relajado y competitivo

Trabajar para Global LT es una gran experiencia porque aparte de hacer lo que te gusta, te permite un desarrollo social bueno, interacci√≥n con personas de diferentes nacionalidades. Lo que m√°s me gusta es que despu√©s de trabajar y cumplir las horas clases puedes mantener una amistad con las personas que entablaste relaci√≥n maestro-alumno. Hay seriedad dentro de tus horas clase. Terminando el curso, depende de las personas pero en mi caso sigo en contacto con las personas que he ense√Īado.

Would you rate your company five stars?

Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.

Tutor pay is $14.00 an hour in the USA - close to minimum wage!

They offer the lowest pay I have ever seen for this type of professional service. They pay only $14.00 per hour for online and and only slightly more for face to face teaching. Administratively they are also a disaster.  1) Initial scheduling logistics is designed to protect Global LT and make sure students get a teacher but this is done at the expense of the teacher and can easily leave teachers without work that they are available for, requested, and were told they could get. You may or may not get the work you request and that is understandable. What is not understandable is that only 50% of the time do they inform you did not get an assignment. And if they do inform you, it takes 1- 3 days. Thus, you are in limbo. So, if you put in for 2  jobs per week (assuming they were offered) you may get one. For the one you did not get, they will inform you only 50% of the time and that could take 3 days.   2) If you are assigned a student, you are not guaranteed that work. Some students don't follow through, some change their schedules to something you did not accept initially and some travel and miss a lot. In summary, you set aside time but don't get the work or don't get what was assigned to you. 3) If you get a student, they give you access to Global LT's scheduling/tracking system which triggers payments to you. The system is cumbersome and there are frequent errors. These mistakes cause the teacher more work/time. I brought these mistakes to Global LT's attention months ago but it's not fixed yet. Then, you get bombarded with mesages "if you don't do xyz in time you wont -

Pros

None with Global LT

Cons

All of the above (it's the tip of the iceberg)

Chance to travel domestically and to foreign countrries for assignments.

GLT is always clear on duties of the assignment and supervisors were gracious, friendly and very professional. GLT supervisors did everything possible to satisfy the client as well as their employee. A terrific company, especially if you like to travel, to work in different situations and locations. The international assignments were a joy, working with gracious people, and having a sense of accomplishment in helping them acquire new language skills. The salary was quite good, especially in that I was able to travel and teach in foreign countries. GLT is a great company. (I am 2000

No se ofrece mucho

Lo de ensenar esta bien, y no muy complicado. Pero no sube el sueldo cuando uno empieza a lo mas alto por vivir en un lugar (Silicon Valley) muy caro. Ademas es un rollo trasmitir todo para conseguir el sueldo. Hay solo un dia para entregar los 2-3 documentos con firmas de los clientes/estudiantes o si no, dicen que sera dificil conseguir el pago/sueldo

Scamed me with payment

I submitted my payment for 2 clients that I worked with-in the same month. One of the clients had 5 days of Settling in services for $1500. After I submitted my billable hours, I was told it was too many days of service and I need to adjust it to 3 days and submit a second billing for 2 days "as per her supervisor". They never submit a breakdown of payments they work through Qwil for your payments. Bottom line I was not paid for 16 hours of work for a client in Athens, GA. SMH I was done with them.

Cons

Shady company.

Way too many emails, time consuming UNPAID reports, emailing,website checkin etc

That company caters to "high end customers" moving abroad - all paid by their own employers- the "customers" that is...but is cheap as far as compensating their own employees. Way too much time - UNpaid, spent emailing, writing redundant emails etc. Even to getting our timesheet in is so cumbersome, time-consuming and "antiquated". We teachers are supposed to represent the company, with our skills, attire, experience, but we receive rather meager compensation in exchange for being the "visible" high achieving side of the company. The good side is: good and very motivated students.

Pros

Great and motivated students

Cons

Zero benefits. Zero job security

Jobs at Global LT

See more jobs

Autonomous work, but feedback from students great

I enjoyed working as an independent contractor for Global LT. It was a part-time job. You are compensated for time driving to destinations to teach English. As a teacher, I was largely autonomous and chose units and lessons based on students' proficiencies. I would have liked to receive more feedback and connection from coordinator and supervisors. It might have helped me to advance in my teaching career. It was a wonderful experience to meet with students from all over the world. A great opportunity to meet people.

Global LT is a great place to tutor. You set your own schedule and basically work as an independent contractor.

I cannot say enough positives for Global LT. It is truly a wonderful place to work! They provide clients of all ages through adults and it is a rewarding experience.

Interesting remote job.

I mainly just tutored a couple of different people at this company. It was weird because the company was far away from where I working in New York, but we stayed in regular contact.

Pros

Independence

Cons

Needed more structure sometimes in helping students.

Amazing company - Amazing People

Global LT is the most unique company that I have ever worked with. It is the most wonderfully diverse workforce, with some of the most dedicated and amazing people that you will ever meet. What we do is complex and fun, but not easy. You will be surrounded by brilliant people planning for many key employees of our global corporate clientele’s: language training, cross-cultural training, translation, interpretation and relocation needs. As this is a 40 year old company, it has a bit of resistance to change and update, but executive management is committed to updating technologies and developing this for another 40 years as a leader in the marketplace. If you are interested in corporate training and professional development as a business, you will not find a better company in the world. You will learn a lot, you will work hard, you will be challenged.

Pros

The people, the team spirit, the shared mission

Cons

Convulted processes

Great Working Environment

This position allowed me the flexibility needed to adhere to the needs of my family. I was able to aid and assist foreign-born English speakers in an attempt to help them better understand and communicate the English language in the American work environment.

Very nice company to work for, good pay.

My first experience with Global, over a year ago, was teaching a Mexican family of four (mother and three children, 8,11 and 15) basic to advanced English The father was employed by a substantial firm which provides for English instruction to recent immigrant families . Depending on their level, I met with each student 3 to 4 hours a week, in their home, after their school day. This continued for some 12 months. The students made outstanding progress, especially the youngest one, who garnered a "most improved" award at his school.. I understand that the father has recently applied for more English lessons for his family. They and I hope that I will be the instructor again. We became good friends, celebrating holidays and birthdays together. We even had a swimming pool party at my house. The above continued for some 12 months. Then I was offered another position in/near Las Vegas. This is teaching/polishing the English of a recently-immigrated Serbian lady whose English is already good. Her husband, whose English is even better, occasionally participates in this "class." I teach the lady six hours a week, 2 hours, M,W,F.. We have completed a very advanced grammar text and are now working through a novel written for young people. I have received excellent support from Global, despite having met none of them or their other employees face to face. We communicate regularly by email. I submit monthly attendance and progress records. Company employees assisted with their new on-line attendance/payroll program. Although I am a long-time ESL -

Pros

Excellent salary

Cons

Uncertainty about next contract

It was wonderful for many years

Since the owner passed away, the company was sold to some investors, who did not care for his employees. More work less money. No training at all. You need to learn your self.

Pros

Free schedule as long you your hours

Cons

Poor managment

Great Money Making Opportunities

Once you get in with the company, your money making capabilities can be a great or little as you'd like, depending on the amount of classes you want to teach. However, you are contracted so no benefits.

Stressful

no work life balance, no one really cared how you felt. always took work home.not a place i would go back to. Constant nagging on always in a rush to finish to work on others work.

Pros

weekends off

Cons

Company as a whole

Contact Instructor

It is a good company to work with if this isn't your full time work. The management changes constantly without notifying instructors and I don't know who to contact when problems arise or I have questions.

Great company!

Very fair compensation - They assign expatriate students and provide guidance with materials and lesson planning. Always submit monthly paychecks on time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Global LT. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.2Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
4.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight