GLOBALFOUNDRIES Employee Reviews

You only get out what you put in..lots of opportunities
Operations Program Manager (Current Employee) –  E. fishkill NYSeptember 17, 2018
With positive attitude and good work ethics anything is possible. You will need a strong work ethic to grow and develop. many opportunities exist throughout the company across the world.
Pros
great schedules, flexable
Cons
high expectations and workload
No direction
Senior Staff Technology Development Engineer (Former Employee) –  East Fishkill, NYSeptember 16, 2018
It has become a training unversity for semiconductor engineers and technicians.
People come get trained and leave
Company is financed by oil reach country to stay float
No 7nm or beyond plan
14nm in danger as TSMC and Samsung migrating to 7nmNo respect for merit
Whom you know is important for advancement
Too many Indian and Chinese engineers(all waiting for greencard and stuck there for long time)
Pros
good to have company in US
Cons
Need to change culture to make profit.
Silos, silos, silos
Employee (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 13, 2018
All silos. Three different companies and every team and person was working as silos.
Though headquartered at US, still people at charterd, Singapore wants to power center there. The Charted people do not want others and they do not want to collaborate.
Pros
Good compensation benefits, salary
Cons
Silos in team, cross team, geo location.
Poor Training and Poor Management Decisions
Operator (Former Employee) –  Essex Junction, VTSeptember 9, 2018
My first trainer had absolutely no patience at all and was constantly yelling at me all the time. You simply can't learn from a trainer who has no patience and who mistreats his trainees. My manger was a good man with a good heart, but he made poor decisions that put his subordinates into bad situations where they were running way too many tools and because of this, mistakes will happen. He then decided he was going to write me up after making a decision to put me in this situation. This simply was not fair or right. Given that I saw he was going to start a paper trail on me after making a bad decision of putting me in a bad situation, I saw no point in continuing my employment or giving a two weeks notice. I knew their was no reasoning or discussing my point with him that would change his mind and I felt that my manager had no faith in me which was unreasonable. You have to believe in the employees you hire and you have to make decisions that set your employees up for success. You also need good trainers who provide competent training.
Pros
Healthcare benefits, dental benefits, vision benefits
Cons
Poor work conditions, poor management decisions, poor training, 401(k) administrative costs, no long term care insurance
a constant struggle
Engineer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 5, 2018
GF does struggle to get their feet on the ground. There are great people, just not long enough to make a difference. There are great teams (if you are lucky enough to get into one). It is always the fault of the market or economic situation, well - one way to see it. 3 CEO's in 9 years, what does it tell you?
Technicians are in high demand, like anywhere else in the semiconductor market!
Malta, NY isn't really a dream place to be. If you like nature / outdoors - well, with in hour drive - you are there and it is beautiful. Other than that, horse lovers are welcome in Saratoga Springs (May - September), and that's it.
Overall, they try hard, maybe a change in philosophy might help, a reduction in management might help ;-)
Pros
college graduates are welcome
Cons
be ready for plenty of overtime and keep looking for rewards
Decent place to work at with benfits
Technician (Current Employee) –  Malta, NYSeptember 1, 2018
The shift hours make for a great work/life balance. The only down side is the 12 hour days. The benefits included start day one which is a nice bonus and the resources for job training make for an easy transition into a new position.
Culture GF
Principal Engineer (Former Employee) –  Malta, NYSeptember 1, 2018
GF culture is a mixed one and ego is quite high between cultures. No a specified culture in GF. It is real tough environment to walk through every day.
Pros
not a specific comments
Cons
Every day challenging
Layoffs layoffs and more layoffs
14nm FinFET CMOS Device Manager (Former Employee) –  Malta, NYSeptember 1, 2018
Loved the work there. Everyday new action. But the name of the game is competing with the Asian foundries, which is not easy to do. We've seen the results in the news.
good place to work
Design Rule Development Engineer (Current Employee) –  Malta, NYAugust 31, 2018
The people are nice to work with. Lots of experienced engineers you can learn from. But the company is not financial strong. It has reduced workforce for 2 times this year.
Good place to work.
Senior Engineer (Former Employee) –  United StatesAugust 30, 2018
Good place to work with a great technical team.
The most enjoyable part of the job was learning to work effectivley with diverse engineers in different physical locations and time zones.

Want to know more about GLOBALFOUNDRIES?

Ask a question
Too Many Hours
Staff Customer Support (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 29, 2018
Too many hours, no advancement opportunities, layoffs, absolutely no work life balance and all employees know that. Expected to work until job is done and employees resent their coworkers after a while.
Benefits
Cons
Pay and advancement
Difficult to stay
Senior Technician (Current Employee) –  Malta, NYAugust 28, 2018
Good work environment, long work days, and frequent layoffs which made it very hard to have job security if you have a family to consider. Management could use some help with communication.
Routine monotonous work with few chances for advancement.
Failure Analysis Technician (Current Employee) –  Malta, NYAugust 28, 2018
The work is mostly monotonous and routine after becoming proficient at it. As with most jobs, daily fulfillment comes down to having something to show for your day's work and your coworkers. In most cases neither was an issue but coworkers come and go. Biggest down side was the company pretty much refuses to promote from within and will hire people with no experience into roles that experienced people at the company could easily fill.
Pros
Decent benefits.
Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) –  Malta, NYAugust 26, 2018
A good place to work and learn, grow.

A typical day starts with meetings and evaluating the work day plan.

Run experiment simulations and analyse the data.
Unexciting but steady work.
Wafer Fab Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Essex, VTAugust 15, 2018
I worked the Mask House on Overnights. The worst part of working for global is the 12 hour duration, if you can get past that, you will be just fine. It is mostly repetitive work, that is simple to follow and learn quickly.
Pros
Lots of Time off opportunities
Cons
The Employee Rumor Mill
It's okay
Process Technician (Current Employee) –  Malta, NYAugust 15, 2018
I work in the cleanroom. I enjoy my job and think I get paid well for what I do. Unfortunately a lot of the time you see people get paid based on "experience" rather than performance. I understand that to an extent, but it's grossly different salaries.
Not much of a future
Manager, Factory Automation (Current Employee) –  Malta, NYAugust 13, 2018
GF is finally getting serious about poor financials and are pushing out mid-level people to reduce costs. There are a lot of issues this company faces and lots of potential opportunities, but the management team can't seem to effectively engage good employees to really make a difference. They just don't seem to value continuous improvement efforts.
If you have 5+ years in the industry, don't waste your time here
Senior member of technical staff (Current Employee) –  Malta, NYAugust 9, 2018
Horrible management, confusing day, rules/codes keep changing, incredibly high attrition rate, these pretty much sum up the company. Most managers, from 1st line all the way up to SLT, are unfit for their jobs. They only care about their own agenda, not employees' jobs.
Talent coworkers
Design and Automation Internship (Current Employee) –  Malta, NYAugust 9, 2018
There are ton of talent coworkers, how many meetings per day depends on which team you work in, my team is great I don't need to join too many meetings everyday.
Very Flexible Working Culture
Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) –  Malta, NYAugust 8, 2018
The software development engineer role does not have too much pressure at this company. Everybody here is really helpful and you can learn a lot of things from them. However, the management is not so good.
Pros
Do not have too much pressure
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GLOBALFOUNDRIES. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.9InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

1.8Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight