Glu Mobile

Glu Mobile Employee Reviews

Solid though unimaginative place to work.
This is a generally stable company as long as you stick to formulas that produce profit you will be good to go. If you stray so that you imagine too much or are too creative, they will consider it a time waste and you probably aren't a good fit for the company.
Great people, inexperienced management
It's a place that wants to play and plays often. A culture of being busy gets in the way a lot. The leadership is experienced as professionals but still learning how to build a company and create a culture. There are some growing pains but that does not outweigh the passion, skill, and quality of the people you work with at Glu.
Pros
Events, Food, People
Cons
Culture of busy, lots of meetings, not innovative
Great people
Strong teams and strong team relationships. Great culture and people. Very rarely met a slacker. Everyone works hard. Benefits are good, just finally got a 50% 401k match.
Pros
Great benefits and flexible or remote hours
Cons
Career advancement
Life Balance
Life balance was a nice to have thing for the employee's. Employee's were allowed to come and go as needed to attend to their personal matters, and were afforded at descent autonomy.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Lacks direction
Productive workplace; poor management
Great place to work. Good work/life balance. Studios have too much autonomy and central talent can be wasted, but it is a good trending company. Catered lunches and new office downtown.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
poor management, lack of innovation
Your experience matters.
Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.
Quite cut throat.
I was here on a prison work release programme as I had got my degree in accounting in prison. I found it difficult and the atmosphere is negative, bit of work place bullying which needs to be addressed. I sadly was let go, as many were. Upper management have their issues. Overall lots of activities and lots of food, free lunches that were great. Competetive over salaries. Not enough pay.
Pros
Activities, free lunch
Cons
Bullying, cut throat, high pressure, fear of being let go.
A Great Place to work
The people are great. Work environment is fun and exciting. The benefits are pretty good and the perks are awesome (catered lunches, outings). Just know that the video game world is pretty volatile and audiences are fickle so job security depends on a games audience.
Glu - Long Beach studio
The studio in Long Beach was like no other. Other studios owned by Glu will not be the same, that's for sure. Overall, typical corporate structure, benefits were pretty good. No real complaints but maybe they jumped a few sharks.
Pros
Lunches on Wednesdays, great people
Cons
unorganized tight deadlines
Overall OK
My boss was great, but the company as a whole was just OK. The company didn't have any products I knew well or cared much about, and there was either very little work to do, or a lot to do in a short time. I think that it was a better experience for me, however, compared to most of the other employees.
Great people, Poorly managed company
A fun environment to work in with lots of talented and passionate people making awesome stuff!

Unfortunately the company is poorly managed at the top and see its employees as disposable. If your studio doesn't make a "hit" (i.e. doesn't meet exceptions, despite being profitable) be prepare for a closure. Studios have no control over what Titles/Genre they work on, and are given their marching orders by upper management. If the strategy fails, the studios face the consequences for the bad direction. (Pure celebrity focus anyone?)

Good temporary job, but don't get comfortable working there.
Pros
The people you worked with
Cons
The upper management
Review
Pros:
- Fun working environment

- Fun coworkers

- Opportunities to work on multiple teams and learn new pipelines

Cons:

- Upper management has unrealistic expectations of game development timelines

- Releasing updates that are not ready
Productive and fun work place with ping pong table and snackage
One of the best groups of people I have ever had the pleasure to work with. The employees at this company do a great job at having fun and making sure everyone feels apart of the team and gets the job done.
Pros
free lunches, awesome events, great coworkers, overtime
Cons
not much room for advancement in my field.
Great work environment, and fantastic people to work with
Glu Mobile was a fantastic place to work. Everyone was really friendly, and extremely helpful. If there was something that you didn't know, someone would be more than willing to help you.
Pros
Free snacks, lunches (certain days), and great people
Cons
There was no Cons to this position, it was a great location to work out
A Day in the life of a Glu QA Member
My day would start by attending team stand up which allowed me to gauge what work needed to be done over the course of the day. From there I would either create test cases/test plans for upcoming work or I would begin testing the day's content. I would use Jira to track any bugs written against the branch. If bugs were fixed during the day, I would kick off a new build and handle bug regressions for the team. I would attend any and all meetings that the QA Lead was invited to. Towards the end of the day the QA Lead, the Producer, the Lead Engineer and I would do a bug triage to determine what bugs would be fixed during the sprint.
Pros
Free snacks and Beverages
Cons
Contract agency they use is terrible and out of state.
Great people, poor managment
Some great people who are great at their jobs here, unfortunately disorganized management cancels out their hard work.
Pros
Bagels, Free Soda, Pays well
Cons
Stress filled, soul sucking experience not worth the pay
Great place to work!
Great place to work. Free food, nice work life balance, good people.
Cares more about the bottom line than it's games or employees.
The creative teams I worked with at Glu were some of the most talented in the industry. I was constantly amazed at the quality of work they put out.

Sadly, the upper management preferred to simply copy other games rather than take any risks. On top of that, the budget was constantly strangled, making it harder to bring in talent to create the very games the company relied on. I saw several employees quit after simply burning out, and these were people who LOVED making games.

At the cost of one Executive Producer, the company could have hired two designers, artists... people who, you know, make games.

Instead the company became increasingly top heavy and bloated, rather than the small, competitive, game studio it could have been.

Work location and office size were constantly cramped in San Francisco. Noise was a constant distraction with no cube walls. Complaints were often ignored by executives who didn't really seem to care, because they all had offices.

Towards the end, entire departments were being forced to fit into tiny conference rooms due to short sighted planning.

Pros
Free train pass. Benefits were okay. Stable income.
Cons
Terrible office. Execs did not listen to anyone. Bottom line trumps workplace happiness.