GNC Employee Reviews

Found 2,922 reviews matching the search See all 3,291 reviews
calm work place, a lot of down time
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Greenbelt, MDJune 13, 2019
Gnc is a nice place to work if you're a student or someone who enjoys one on one situations that help to build strong relationships with your customers.
Part time
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 12, 2019
Decent part-time job with commission. Get to interact with many interesting people to help build networking skills and customer service skills as well. They also do a good job at making sure you know how to handle cash and complete clean and rotation. However, some managers will not work very well with you if you have school or another job. Furthermore, it is difficult to move to a manager position even if sales are very outstanding compared to other people in the company.
Pretty casual salesmanship
GNC Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 12, 2019
Knowledge about supplements is important, the most important. Management was slow. The hardest part of the job was certain technological issues. recommend overall
Great place to work at with a exciting enviornment
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJune 12, 2019
Great job to have. I really enjoyed my boss and coworkers. I learned a lot and it gave me future experience for the work force. I am glad I got the chance to work at GNC.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
short breaks
Gnc
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Homestead, FL 33030June 11, 2019
Good sales experience, and you are able to learn about different products and inform the cx. Not able to grow much in the company as not many opportunity open up.
Do yourself a favor and search else where
Part Time Employee (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJJune 11, 2019
I'll start by saying this place is very unprofessional. They hired me bc they felt I looked pretty jacked. So I got the job on the spot. I was told to come in 2 days later on that Monday. I got my schedule and I only had 7 hours the whole week. Which I get it. I'm new and I'm supposedly going go be in training. I couldn't of been more wrong. The manager who hired me who is never there had me study vocabulary for about 3 weeks with no actual training what so ever. I never even got a name tag. I get all this praise on my physique promising I'll be a manager and all this other squash based on the fact that I have a "great physique" and I studied the vocabulary almost exclusively. But that's all I was taught. Literally only vocabulary for 3 weeks and in those 3 weeks no more than 27 work hours total. Not in 1 week. I mean 9 hours a week for 3 trifling weeks of so called training with absolutely no lessons on supplements or how to sell them. It was absolutely ridiculous. Then I get a text on a Friday to come in and cover a store that I have never worked in before all by myself starting on Saturday. So the manager tells me not to worry about sales bc of the fact I'm not trained and that she will teach me how to work the cash register and all this other squash all within 3 hours Friday night so I'm ready to go on Saturday. Actually less bc she wasnt even there. She had an entirely different manager come in and he was way to worried about getting a good sell rate than to legitimately help me with training. Which was highly important considering I'm being told to 1) I've been told not  more... to talk to a single customer bc I was told I didnt have the proper training and 2) in less than 12 hours I was scheduled for work the next day in a store I have no idea where any of the products are at or even what they do. So pretty much you will be set up for disaster. Not only that the cash register process is a lot harder than normal cashiers bc ppl have memberships and they have returns and squash like that so it ain't as easy as Walmart cashier processes. So it is important you get properly trained. Not only that, you can have the happiest customer ever walk through the door who knows what they want to get and they leave and your manager will still throw a tantrum at you if they do not buy 50 dollars worth of products or more. All they care about is their store rating. I get it's a sales business but I cant control what a customer wants to buy. And I cant persuade a customer to want to buy something I have absolutely no knowledge on due to lack of training, no customer experience, and just the overall unprofessionalism of how gnc is run. Its not right to push the employees to almost force the customer to buy 50 dollars worth of products or more. The customer can obviously see its buy 2 get 1 for free or whatever. I dont need to come off as a pushy sales men. They can see right through it. Most ppl just come in for a protein bar or 2 or an energy drink. Not everybody is going to buy a wheybolic amp or a gnc protein powder of some sort. I had a passion for gnc. Bc health is really my thing. But the manager is so pushy that it makes you scared to even see customers bc if they dont buy a at least 50 dollars worth of products or more you can bet your rear end you are going to hear your manager give you a bunch of heat. And its even worst that I got absolutely lied to and told to not worry about sales bc I was new and then I get discouraging phone calls telling me i will not last in this company if i dont talk to the customers when I clearly was but like i said i cant force someone to buy squash they aren't wanting to buy and I cant give advice on products that I was never trained on. Literally all I learned was vocabulary terms. I was told I would learn products weeks down the line when I finish the computer course. And the computer course takes quite some time. Which I am totally cool with. I am just not cool with being blatantly lied to just to cover another store in which nobody wanted to work at for whatever reason that week and she leaves it to me just to harass me when the average rating is below 50 dollars. It makes no sense. And like I said I never even got a name tag. So after that first day in that foreign store i quit. Do yourself a favor and dont work here unless your an extremely hot sales women and you can persuade the older guys to buy all this squash. Other wise dont even freaking try it. I'm just being honest  less
Pros
Co workers are cool, some customers are really nice
Cons
Low pay, not professional
Good job to learn basic sales.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXJune 10, 2019
I would recommend this job for any young person who would like to acquire basic sales skills or would like an opportunity to learn management skills. This job opens doors to the fitness industry.
Cool discounts for employees, low pay
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 10, 2019
As an employee you get nice discounts on supplements. That said, the base pay is set up hourly and it's minimum wage. You are able to earn commissions on what you sell but it's not a lot. If you're good at that type sales you can expect to earn anywhere from $10-$12 per hour. The challenge is that if you move into management there is high turnover b/c of the low wages and life circumstance of ppl looking for part time work but you'll never attract seasoned sales professionals to drive revenue and grow the business. Expect to work long hours for low pay if you're in a full time roll.
Pros
Great discounts on supplements
Cons
Low pay, long hours, and low pay for management
Productive and fun place to work at.
Sales Associate and Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guaynabo, PRJune 9, 2019
It was a great experience working with GNC because I entered without any knowledge and at the beginning it can be overwhelming but everyone there help out to expand my knowledge in a very short period of time without a struggle. Very organized plan or strategy executed daily without taking you out of the sales floor avoiding not seeing customers and be able to do both task.
good working place
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJune 8, 2019
great product. great customer service. very knowledgeable staff. awesome selection. go see them for all your supplement needs. ask for john say elroy sent you and he will hook you up
It’s mediocre at best
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  ArizonaJune 7, 2019
Upper management is not supportive/doesn’t give you the tools to succeed. Unrealistic sales goals and job is threatened day to day if underperforming. Not much opportunity to move up in the company. It’s only worth the stress to show up if you have a supportive store manager and co-workers, otherwise your effort in the company is not valued. Not much time to take a breath between customers in high volume selling environment. Breaks are in between your customers.
Pros
Commission + hourly wage
Cons
Unrealistic sales goals, minimal hours, can be stressful
Good job to learn about supplements and help people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 7, 2019
I really enjoyed that I was able to help people in buying supplement products that actually work. Based on their needs and goals I help them choose supplements that will supplement their needs for the day.
Pros
Employee's discount
Cons
No healthcare plan, Pushy to sale GNC products
Well my manager decided to threaten me with other applications!
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hialeah, FLJune 6, 2019
I am a high school student that needs to go to school everyday, as i explained to my manager, i can miss one or two days of school to open. After training for a week WITHOUT pay, she asks how the schedule is going to work and wants me to miss more than 2 days of school. I had made myself clear in the beginning and she chose to hire me, and now she’s threatening me with other applications saying that there are people that she can just call and drop me. Then, she discriminates against my age. After this, she asks me if i can work on sunday FOR FREE, no pay, again. i’ve been there for longer than a week and she’s only paid me for 3 hours. This was a complete waste of time and a terrible first job experience.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
no breaks, terrible management
Supplement industry is booming this company is not
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYJune 6, 2019
If you are super competitive, motivated, a solid sales person and have no morals or values toward other people welcome to your new job.

Company has one goal in mind and that is numbers and really not doing to well in that category. There is absolutely no structure at all it’s pretty much the Wild West when it comes to selling techniques just tell people whatever you can to sell them a Pro, add an Auto deliver today and save 10% (you can go home and cancel it that night) still gets me numbers needed. Oh you came in for some herbs but have you thought about taking a multi vitamin, protein, probiotic, and fish oil every person should take those.

Upper management is a complete joke if you are going to bring somebody in to run the area at least pull them from inside the company. It’s all good if they can read numbers off a sheet and give the other managers direction but when it comes down to the real tasks like being able to sell pro themselves or help with auto deliver or even talk about products in the store If you are busy with somebody and they seem to just disappear or stumble through it what does that say. Also in a real company I’m pretty sure you should be able to go to the upper management with any concerns or comments but it seems that a blind eye gets turned every time this happens for some reason.

Once again the supplement industry is a completely booming area right now it’s just a shame that the “world leader” can’t seem to find a way to get on top of the game. Might have something to do with the way you pay your employees and you treat them. Start out part
  more... timers at minimum wage and then take our employee discount down as well. But don’t worry you get it back when it’s employee appreciation week.

Next time you walk into a Gnc look at the employee or people working and say to yourself is that somebody that looks like he takes whatever supplements you are asking about. Example if he is overweight and selling you a fat burner you might want to think twice. If she has no muscle and selling you how to get huge think about it people.

So as stated above if all this sounds amazing to you and is something you could really see yourself doing make sure to go apply online and hurry up and get that resume into the nearest store manager. People are banging down the doors to get a job at this amazing company.
Pros
Dress code
Cons
Pay, Pressure of numbers, upper management, path of company, structure of company
If you have no life and don’t care about mental health this is the job for you
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Arnold , MOJune 6, 2019
Absolutely terrible job. No rest. No breaks. Low pay. Constant turnover. At this point it’s a paycheck with clauses. Managers are constantly harassed at unrealistic expectations for sales goals.
Pros
Cons
Pay is low. No time off. No raise. No advancement
Easy environment it would be a great job for someone just starting to work
Associate (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn Park, MNJune 6, 2019
I loved the job but it didnt have the busy type style that i was looking for . The work was easy . Training went so fast it was amazing . i learned many things about retail i would consider this job to be a great one to first time workers.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Not many coustemers
Absolute Chaos
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  IndianaJune 5, 2019
Horrible pay that depended on customers buying certain products that will make you money. On top of trying to make money by selling products. You then had to meet your sales goals. As well as taking care of the store. All the while making minimum wage. If you move up in the company. You will only get a buck or two of a raise. However, now you are responsible for your employees work as well as your own. Let's not forget all of the paperwork as well. The only thing that made this job enjoyable are the employees that you got to see for maybe an hour because you are working all by yourself the rest of the time. You will get the occasional good customer, but most of the time you are trying to sell them on things that they really don't want. So you just end up annoying them. Oh, and if you fail at these things. You're gone. Oh, and final thing. No breaks for anything. You're by yourself, remember.
Pros
commission
Cons
no breaks, tough sales goals, lots of work, little pay, micro management
Can be fun but also very stressful
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAJune 5, 2019
Everything is numbers , with it being a corporate location they could care less about it's employees . They pay min. Pays and claim you can make more with commission but if it's dead obviously not ...
amazing
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Goldsboro, NCJune 4, 2019
i loved working here it was my first real job and i would do anything to go back and continue if it wasn’t for school. they’re so flexible and you learn so much.
Productive and fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 4, 2019
Exciting place to work at and be a member of their culture. Taught a lot about how to speak to customers correctly and also how to point them in the correct direction.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GNC. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at GNC.

Powered by Comparably