Go Ape USA Employee Reviews

Great potential - poor execution
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 23, 2019
The leadership at Go Ape makes decisions without fully understanding the consequences and then relies on its employees to clean up the mess without adequate resources. Certain people (usually men) are selected for frequent promotions while others work to add responsibilities to their jobs and are denied promotions and adequate compensation.
Pros
Great benefits, cool concept
Cons
Poor management and prioritization
Looking for Adventure and a massive headache then work for this miss managed company.
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 27, 2018
Go Ape is only concerned about saving their failing company, all the juice they are trying to get people to drink is poisoned by there toxic practices. The Site Manager position is basically 5 different positions all wrapped up into one measly paycheck. I watched this company over 3 seasons become more and more miss managed, they are so far from their mission to Live Life Adventurously. They value profits over anything and are willing to work people well past what they are physically/mentally capable of. My experience was one of manipulation, lies and staying quite so management wouldn't make life hard for me. There is no communication (which they are always trying to fix through pathetic surveys), no work life balance (you're expected to work 60-80hrs a week during peak season because winters give you lots of "down time"), successful sites are bleed dry to make up for failing sites. Managers have no power to fire incompetent/poor staff because HQ wants you open so you better make it work with the staff you have even if safety becomes a concern. My area manager was so manipulative and conniving that I didn't know who to turn to or trust in the company (turns out there really isn't anyone), the worst part is that he wasn't even the first superior I worked for that was completely trash at their job. I had three different Area Managers in the 3 seasons I worked for the company, they laid off the only decent one and promoted two people that had been with the company less then a year and knew nothing about how to manage people. No one knows what they are doing in this company, it  more... feels like being in a high school club and everyone is playing at running a company. When I first started I was blinded by the excitement and adventure of working for a high ropes and zip line company, it was to good to be true. There was one person at the company that I trusted and respected because they were the only honest/straight forward person. I'll never forget them telling me this once I got my first promotion at Go Ape, "You're young, don't make this your forever job it's not a career, take what you can from it but don't stay here long." it felt like such a weird thing to say at the time but now I see why they said it.  less
Pros
Adventurous Carear
Cons
High Stress, Smoke and Mirrors, Unstable Company, Horrible Pay, Overworked/Undervalued, No Raises/Advancement Opportunity, Expected to Work 24/7
Fun place to work.
Zipline Guide (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXAugust 20, 2018
It will keep you in shape, it is a very adventuerous place, although it is not enough money to live on to support a family unless you take on another job.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Low pay for being in charge of human lives.
Slow and long days
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  North Myrtle Beach, SCAugust 7, 2018
Long and tiring
management is needs to improve but is effective
staff gets along good
getting staff motivated
seeing guests happy and having a great time
Pros
paid lunch
Cons
Short breaks
Go ape usa
Course Instructor (Former Employee) –  NebraskaJuly 25, 2018
Hours are long. 10-12 a day in the busy season. You have to work in all kinds of weather, pouring rain, freezing, 100 degrees.
Work start times aren't released until the night before. So you know what days you work but not what time until last minute. (Can be inconvenient for some) You also don't know when you get off work...you're done when you're done. So you have to leave the whole day open, you can't plan ahead.
Pros
Working with people, participating on the course at the beginning and end of each day, and food on staff meetings once a month
Cons
Short breaks, long days, hot temps, wearing a tight harness all day, physically demanding, some times unaware of what time you will get off, shoveling, mulching, consistent up-to-date training, working in the rain
Fun place to work
Zip line instructor (Current Employee) –  Western Springs, ILOctober 19, 2017
Awesome job only big downside is no work from december to February. The managers are all really cool and fun. The coworkers are the same. Over all its a very fun team oriented job.
Pros
Outdoors, fun, good team, great managers, great enviornment
Cons
Short breaks, busy days, seasonal
Fun job, Low pay
Tree Top Adventure Zip Lin Instructor (Current Employee) –  Washington, MIOctober 9, 2017
Best work experience ever, a great summer job. Your co workers become your friends, the management is amazing, and very supportive, and the customers are super cool.
Pros
Funnest job.
Cons
Low Pay
Was a great place to work.
Duty Manager/Course Instructor/Build Team (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 4, 2017
Great company to work for as long as your manager is competent. Very fun to be outside all day and play in the trees. You will talk to a lot of people and learn a lot of technical skills intrinsic to a zip line course as well as communication skills as you will be guiding safety sessions.
Instructor
Instructor, Go Ape Zip Linee (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXSeptember 18, 2017
I work oustide in a nature preserve. I teach and help guests how to manipulate our equipment while being safe. I check the equipment and clean the office. Great, check in and out the guests throughout the day. Work on maintaining the nature trails with the rest of the team.
Pros
work outside, positive environment
Cons
lack of benefits, the hours varies too much
Outside sales job is a brand ambassador position with NO COMMISSION
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  MarylandSeptember 7, 2017
Pros
Work/life balance is fantastic and they do have a very good product to sell. Management is friendly and it's not a hard sell.
Cons
They will promise you everything and never deliver. NO ONE has ever hit commission and more than half of the salary is commission. It's a seasonal job and they are just trying to use you. The company has had massive turnover with management the past couple years and the parks have been in decline. After all is said and done the job is $38,000 a year and you'll never make a cent more. You might as well find a real sales job.

Advice to Management
Come up with a clear path for the company and clearer job descriptions. Stop hiding behind everyone and tell people what they need to do to their face. Horrible communication between everyone.
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
Low pay, many hours of work, lack of leadership, no commission
Very fun environment to work in.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  North Myrtle BeachAugust 29, 2017
Loved the job and the people I worked with. Worked in the summer so the only thing was it was too hot. Working outside in the hot sun was unbearable at times.
Love the People
Zip Line Instructor (Former Employee) –  Little River, SCAugust 4, 2017
Not only were my coworkers fabulous but my superiors were enjoyable and easy to talk to. There were never any problems and everyone was very open with each other with what was going on up in the trees.
Cons
Short Breaks and very strenuous
Outdoor, growing company with value
Site Manager (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOMarch 1, 2017
Working for Go Ape is working for a company while knowing you are making a difference. Helping guests navigate their fears or just enjoying a tree top experience is something unlike anything else. We have the ability to be in an outdoor setting providing adventure while giving back to our park systems. A company that cares about the individuals who work within it with the mindset of a true team.
Pros
No cubicles! Work with diverse groups, enjoy nature
Cons
Dynamic hours
Work with like minded individuals in a casual, fun atmosphere
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDFebruary 21, 2017
Go Ape has a fast paced work environment where there is always something to do. The culture is both hard working and laid back. Lots of room for personal growth as the business expands and you take on new responsibilities.
Pros
At the head office: no dress code, discounted outdoor gear, fun team outings, take off on your birthday
Cons
technical difficulties
Great place to work while having a lot of fun.
Site Manager (Current Employee) –  Mill Stream Run Reservation, Cleveland OHFebruary 21, 2017
Go Ape has the right idea when creating a job that's filled with excitement, challenges, satisfaction and fun. This company has made an impressive impact on my life and brought forth some important values that were hidden within. You work hard from day to day but get a sense that you're doing the right thing and also a feeling of accomplishment almost every day. One of the best parts of this job is getting to see the joy that our instructors can bring to the guests that come to do the course. On both sides the smiles are genuine and both parties (instructors and guests) usually leave feeling like they did something they can be proud of that day. The culture from course to course is usually the same as well; being that safety is first and foremost, then right behind that is to make sure everyone has an experience they will remember their entire lives. Don't get me wrong, this job can be difficult physically and mentally with some longer days possible, but if you can persevere through those times you will look back on your days with this company in a very positive light.
Pros
Working outdoors, Getting guests to push themselves, Occasional catered meetings
Cons
Unhappy guests(very rare), Long days are possible
Very Organized and Growing
Site Manager (Current Employee) –  Stony Creek, MIFebruary 20, 2017
This is a great company to work for. The training is comprehensive and the corporate office provides ample structure to the staff on site. A great opportunity for someone looking to work for a leader in outdoor recreation.
Pros
Lot of time in the outdoors
Cons
Fluctuation in hours
Doing good and feeling good about what you do.
Head of Marketing (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDFebruary 20, 2017
Go Ape offers a fun, challenging and dynamic work environment. Culture with a conscience. We get to make people smile for a living, while helping our community and public park systems grow and thrive.
Pros
Outdoor adventure, casual and flexible work environment, office dog
Cons
Growing pains, but nothing insurmountable
Go Ape is Great!
Zipline Instructor (Former Employee) –  Western Springs, ILNovember 27, 2016
This was the most rewarding job I have ever had. I loved helping people conquer their fear of hights. With my previous experience working in kitchens, I have never been confident in my customer service skills, but working at Go Ape I was really able to connect with customers and interacting with them was my favorite part of the job.
Great pay, horrible company
Outdoor Instructor (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOJanuary 15, 2015
The pay is really good and is really the only reason why the job is worth it. Go Ape runs on a policy of negative reinforcement. Management is severely out of touch with their employees. The manager at the Creve Coeur course only got his job by selling out his previous manager. His own training has been inadequate and the training he provides to his personnel is even worse.

I hope the problem has been fixed by now(1/15/14) but if it hasn't, there is a dead tree that is a part of the course that it is attached to. That can't be too safe!
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management is horrible
Amazingly Fun Job at a Tree Top Adventure Course
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis INJanuary 8, 2013
As a duty manager I would open up the cabin in the morning and prepare for the days bookings. As my employees came in I would direct them to what needing done on the course for opening and set up their schedule for the day as instructors.
When guest started arriving I would explain how their experience and get them checked in and then off when they had finished.
The day was always full of a lot of customer service while at the same time taking and responding to any radio communication with my staff on the course. I was responible for dealing with any situations on the course and directing my staff accordingly.
I was also responsible for making sure all our daily/weekly/and monthly inspection were done and documented.
There was a lot going on all the time but it was always fun and at the end of the day you walked away feeling you'd accomplished something and had a smile on your face.
Pros
working outside in a beautiful park and getting a work out while having fun
Cons
being seasonal

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Go Ape USA. Our community is ready to answer.