Gold's Gym Employee Reviews

Found 1,855 reviews matching the search See all 2,161 reviews
General Manager in NC
General Manager (Current Employee) –  NCDecember 16, 2018
There is new management in the Carolinas and at the District Level that is phenomenal. I came on to the team a few months back. Gold’s Gym has provided me a career that allows me to wake up every morning feeling super excited to go to work. I am confident that everyone in the company stands behind the Golds Motto which is to Help people achieve their potential through fitness! I’ll also say that there is amazing on-boarding support, great benefits, pay is great/every 2 weeks, and the company is constantly evolving for the better. Corporate partners are all the time available for your support and extremely supportive. I really don’t understand the other negative reviews on here as this company really has it together and does provide an awesome Work/Life balance.
Pros
Pay, freedom, trust from corporate, resources, benefits, family/work balance
Cons
N/a
Good beginning job
Receptionist & Member Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDDecember 14, 2018
This is a good place to work for someone working balancing school, another job, or with a busy schedule. Working there you become like a small family with your coworkers. The environment is very friendly and welcoming. However, I would not recommend this as a career. There is no room for advancement and the pay would never be enough to support a family or to make a mortgage payment.
Fun Work Place, promised a lot but when time came never delivered
personal trainer (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CADecember 12, 2018
Gold's Gym was a great learning experience for a new trainer. They teach you everything on how to approach club member, access them in complementary workouts and showing them how to achieve their goals. One of the downsides was during the hiring process they promised us we would be given our clients and that they had a list they were ready to give us when they gym was ready for the grand opening. Upon the grand opening they gave us no clients and we spent the first 2 weeks working 6 days 10 hour shifts doing tours and trying to sell training packages. No time during the hiring process or pre opening training did they inform us that we would be having to working for our own clients. If they would have informed us about that they there would have been no problem, other than that it was a fun gym to be apart of and the training team was amazing.
Pros
Fun Environment, Great learning experience, great coworkers, great to network
Cons
Long Hours, Min Wage, Lied about clientele
Poor Management
Custodian, Janitorial Services (Former Employee) –  Florissant, MODecember 11, 2018
There is no organizational structure. Poor communication and no chain of command. There is no delegation of duty as if everyone is just doing whatever is to be done.
Good place for side money if training is your passion.
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Waxahachie, TXDecember 10, 2018
spend time cleaning up the gym floor, meeting prospective clients, making new plans for current clients or catching up on education. It is a place to work if you want to help people improve themselves.
Pros
healthy environment, positive, friendly.
Cons
high corporate demands.
Good environment, difficult market
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXDecember 9, 2018
The field is difficult everywhere but particularly in the local culture, it's an uphill battle to communicate to potential clients the importance of investing in their own health and wellness. In addition, the company sits in a strange place as being higher priced than competitors, who offer lower rates but a lower quality service in general as well. The culture here is wonderful, and there are many fine people to work with, but the broader culture around the gym makes succeeding a difficult task.
Pros
Great work culture and atmosphere
Cons
Work to life balance can suffer depending on your juggling skills
Gold’s gym Socal employment review
Personal Trainer and nutrition coach (Current Employee) –  Valencia, CADecember 8, 2018
I’ve worked with Gold’s gym Socal for 5.5 years. I’ve been in the fitness industry for 8. Before Gold’s I worked with a variety of well known corporations 24 hour fitness among them. That being said, Gold’s Socal ( those who apply to work with Gold’s need to know that these are FRANCHISES, not corporate, so if you see review look at where it was located, each franchise has a different culture and different style of being run) is the BEST gym i could ever hope to work for in a corporate style environment. I am a personal trainer for them and love the flexibility of my own schedule, the competitive and fun environment. The challenging but realistic goals, for sales and clientele. And the fact that YOU have the control to advance your pay as long as you want to. The team and managers I work with are the best in the industry. Applying to work within the Socal franchise is the best application I’ve pursued in my life as of yet
Pros
You set your schedule
Cons
You have to be driven to find clients, can’t be complacent
Voter friendly work envir
FRONT DESK ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX 78753December 5, 2018
Loved the energy! Everyone was so fun to work with. Especially the customers. Made work not feel like work. Management could have been better towards the end. But overall everything was great!
Fun workplace
Group Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDDecember 4, 2018
Fun workplace. Great environment for work and culture. the most enjoyable part of the jon is working with the members on their fitness goals. Gold's Gym is a good company to work at.
Pros
Free Membership
fast paced and rapid changes
Kid's Care Member (Former Employee) –  Lexington, SCDecember 2, 2018
This job allowed me to bring my children with me and offered an outlet while my husband was deployed. I enjoyed working with moms and children, providing a comfortable space, and being a responsible caregiver.
Great people... and that's about it
Front Desk & Child Care Attendant (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDDecember 2, 2018
Great fitness community but the management is subpar. The communication between the front desk and everything else is nonexistent which causes scheduling conflicts and confusion.
Pros
workplace culture
Cons
lack of communication
N/a
Desk Manager/Child Care Director (Current Employee) –  York, PANovember 30, 2018
A typical work day for me:
I work alone on my shifts and am responsible for the whole gym during my shifts.
I have learned much from Gold's Gym, especially the type of career I wish to poses versus the one I currently have.
My management team is okay. I think there is room for improvement.
The hardest part of my job is being the only person scheduled at one time.
The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing members excel and meet their goals and fitness needs.
Not a high paying job but fun
Front Desk Associate,kids club (Current Employee) –  Saint Charles, MONovember 29, 2018
My current managers are great. Pay is ridiculously low but I knew that when I joined the team. For a part time job, it’s great. I love the members and atmosphere. Plus, of course, free membership for you and a family member helps!
Pros
Fun atmosphere, low stress job
Cons
Pay
Golds gym kids club
Kids club associate (Current Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MD 21061November 29, 2018
Working at Gold’s gym can be frustrating it can be fine they can be hard and it also can be the best job you’ve ever had I mean the hours suck you only get three hours shifts depending on which golds gym you’re at

you can get a four hour shifts if they had longer shifts for the kids club hours I probably make this my full-time job but since they only do three hour shifts it’s basically just a fun extra job to do it or if you’re just getting out of high school or if you’re in high school it’s a really good job for you if you love kid its the job for you!!
Pros
Fun environment to work in
Cons
Management and parents
Petty, high school atmosphere with unclear and undefined expectations
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Magnolia, TXNovember 28, 2018
Management is awful. Poor communication and they want to micromanage everything because they are spineless and couldn’t think for themselves if they had to. Caddy, backstabbing managers who have their cliques and are constantly bad mouthing members behind their backs, and then smile with the same mouth to their face. Sales people are snakes and only care about taking people’s money, even if it includes lying to people or misleading them. They laugh about it and could care less about member well-being, only about making their commission. Personal trainers are inept and intro level. Bottom tier, and can be seen texting away on their phones while their clients are doing everything wrong. It’s a joke and a disgrace.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Everything else
Goldys gym was a fun high school job
Assistant to the manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 27, 2018
The job was great for a kid in high school other than that great gym to work out at. You got to meet a bunch of different people that would give you great advice on workouts and Dailey life choices.
Pros
Free gym time
Cons
Part time
It is strictly business
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Dalton, GANovember 26, 2018
The fact this gym is a corporate ran business limits the level of growth allowed. There is no real room for improvement. Any gym that is not family owned will be much of the same. Expensive!
It was good
Fitness Counselor (Former Employee) –  Kingwood, TXNovember 26, 2018
Golds gym was a good place to work. I only stayed for the summer because I had to return to school. I made good money because I worked my but off to get people in the door and sell memberships.
Pros
Lunch break and break room
Cons
Could be rather busy
Gym with diverse members
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 26, 2018
Management and support staff successfully accomplished their goals of signing up new members and funneling said new members to the personal training staff.
You were warned.
Membership Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fenton, MONovember 20, 2018
Do not work for golds gym unless you are living in your parents basement and only need play money. They only pay you $8.00 an hour with no raise because you make commission. The commission would be good if people wanted to pay 43+ dollars a month for a gym membership. But that shouldn’t be a reason for them to pay their employees terrible money. Walk ins are almost non existent so you are sitting for hours upon hours calling people that you have called over 10 times in a week. The management is TERRIBLE. they are never on site and when they are the GM and AGM are constantly together behind closed doors so if you have any questions about your job... you’re gonna be waiting a while. They won’t work.. they just sit back and expect the place to run itself. If you go to an interview they will tell you that you will “double your check” in commission... DO NOT LISTEN TO THAT. IT IS A LIE!!!
Pros
You get two free memberships
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gold's Gym. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight