Golden 1 Credit Union

Golden 1 Credit Union Employee Reviews in Sacramento, CA

Golden 1 Credit Union insights

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Support from manager

Ok

An okay place to work at, the HQ building is relatively clean and there is a lunchroom with a small section to buy snacks at on the first floor. There's also a little gym in the building. Can be a pain to leave after work hours due to the high traffic congestion.

Pros

Nice office environment

Cons

Work schedules, traffic

Lunches provided for reps whenever overtime is requested. Opportunity to work from home. Excellemt benefits.

Golden 1 is a great place to work. If you've never worked at a call center they will still hire you and train you.There's plenty of opportunities for advancement. Supervisors are wonderful, and definitely hands on, as well as supportive.

Pros

Great Lunches, Advancement.

Cons

The verification process is horrible for reps and members. Failed authentication is HUGE at Golden 1

Lack of respect from management

Grueling work schedules, must conform to management needs. No consideration for family emergencies, no work / life balance.. You work tirelessly on overtime hours, but when you need a day off, it's not available, even when you give several weeks notice. The company makes you sign up for 5 days Vacation the year before, so that they can audit your work. Then if you decide to take your vacation sooner for one reason or another prior to this date, and then when that date comes you don't have enough time on the books, then you are written up for not budgeting your vacation time accordingly- no grace for emergencies or unexpected situations.

Pros

Short commute, decent benefits (had much better with previous employers)

Cons

Horrible computer systems, affects adherence & stats, employees leaving due to lack of support and respect from management, Call center is treated with the most disrespect.

Excellent training

Great company, 401k, drawings for free tickets to events in area, room for advancement. Very sales driven at the time of my employment. Would definitely recommend this company!

Great company to work for, Accommodating and Understanding.

A good company to work for, they believe in promotion from within. If you enjoy banking, you will thrive in that company. At times you can feel a little bit micromanaged. However, at the end of the day really great place to work

Pros

Promotion

Cons

Flexibility

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

It was great. Stable job

It was great. Stable job. The pay was good, could be better. I had great coworkers who support each other and great management. I learned a lot from working at Golden 1.

Pros

Benefits, pay

Cons

Workload short staffed

Flexible

Overall I enjoyed working here, they are flexible with your schedule if you are in school. I just wish management was better. It’s really hard to grow and go to other departments.

Pros

Good pay

Horrible

This is by far the worst company I’ve ever worked for. Systems are always down, supervisors are lazy and rude. You will have no life at this job. They expect you to do all the leg work, while they sit back and do nothing. Since I’ve worked here I’ve been diagnosed with anxiety.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Horrible management and no flexibility in schedule

Best job I have had

Tellers do not have pressure of selling products like most financial institutions, while it is still part of the job, they are more focused on training you to recognize the needs of the member, and items that would benefit them, instead of your numbers. From what i seen, some of the some branches may play favorites but the ones that i worked at did not, everyone was given the same opportunities and chances. Later working in back office, there was less stress, plenty of opportunity to grow, and so much recognition. I never worked somewhere that had such a great team working together. The only reason I resigned is because I moved out of state. Management was always great and easy to talk to.

Managers will only promote family members and HR will condone harassment

There are many other companies who will appreciate you. Myself and a few other friends that have worked for this company have endured issues and Human Resources will tolerate anything reported to them. Everything you see on the outside isn’t what really happens behind closed doors.

Turbulent, in process of change

Recent efforts on Culture good. Inter-Department support inconsistent, some are unprofessional, and rude. Too many policy changes weekly. Updating systems before enough training and practice, end users not involved. Excellent volunteer opportunities. Good intentions but executive management not engaged with lower level staff - feel unsupported.

Pros

Initial Training Classes, Volunteer Opportunities

Cons

Communication, low pay, system changes

Unstable

Golden 1 offers decent pay, higher then the average call center. However for new employees there is not a lot of stability. HR has absolutely no problem at all for letting newer employees go for reasons beyond their control. I know from personal experience that there are politics involved, and if you’re new to the job and HR knows someone personally that needs a job? Be prepared to possibly be let go, they will start to really go out of their way to FIND any reason to do so. Absolutely no security for new employees. HR is not understanding or even mildly sympathetic. Don’t expect them to care too much about you as a new employee. Absolutely no security or promises even upon exceptional performance, and professionalism for new employees. They will let you go regardless if they choose to do so due to politics. It’s 100% about what you can do for the company, not what the company can do for you as far as a long term and stable career. As far as I’m concerned new employees are simply replaceable and not as valuable, and I would recommend keeping other job leads the first six months in case.

Not a bad place to work

Not a bad place to work if you're in the right department. They require you to take a 5 consecutive day vacation to prevent burnout. The department I was in was pretty flexible with taking vacation days. Overtime in my department was not allowed, but I heard some other departments require overtime.

Pros

job security and 5 days consecutive vacation

Cons

lower pay

benefits are great everything else is not

Work-life balanceWork-life balance at Golden 1 Credit Union is okay hard to get time off at times. Also base schedules off of performance not tenure.Pay & benefitsMy pay and benefits at Golden 1 Credit Union are okay, benefits are great however pay increases are not provided for everyone when pay structures change. If you are tenured and make over a certain amount you do not get an increase like the rest of the staff making all your hard earned raises worth nothing. What you’ve worked hard for others get for free. Very unfair.Job security and advancementIn terms of job security at Golden 1 Credit Union, I think there is none. In recent months several employees are being written up without any verbal or written warning. These changes haven’t been discussed with employees and it is evident that they are putting people on these write ups to avoid giving them increases in pay, annual bonuses, and other perks. I no longer feel that my job is safe. It looks as if Golden 1’s new culture is to get rid of tenured employees and bring in new people at a lower pay rate. Advancement is no longer easy at Golden 1, knowledge and experience means nothing anymore. It is all about who you know not about your competence and skill.ManagementIn general, managers at Golden 1 Credit Union are terrible. In empathetic and stern. Same goes for HR. They do not care about their employees.CultureCollaboration with my colleagues at Golden 1 Credit Union is great. I work with a great group of people.OverallMy experience working at Golden 1 Credit Union has been rough and tumultuous. -

Great Benefits however does not value employees

For many years I loved working at Golden 1 when the CEO changed so did the culture, Golden 1’s growth provided a very stressful environment and all growth was done prior to having staff to cover it, causing many overworked, stressed out employees. Golden 1 no longer appreciates their employees causing morale and engagement to drop. With growth you would think there would be more for the employees that work hard every day, instead it is less. Employees are treated like numbers, tenure and knowledge is not valued and when they are ready for you to leave they will make up new policies and procedures to fit their agenda, write you up to push you out or terminate you. There is no support for employees within the organization either. I would not recommend anyone to Golden 1 unless they want to be under tremendous pressure and stress on a daily basis.

Pros

Great Benefits

Cons

Lack of Employee Appreciation

Crooked company

Do not work here. The pay is low for the tasks that are required to be done. I had to deal with a lot of legal documents and I was paid extremely low. If you are not a favorite advancement will never happen. And god forbid you make one mistake and they will fire you without warning. They did me a favor and now I will take my knowledge and skills elsewhere where I am appreciated.

Pros

Nice building to work at

Cons

Healthcare, crooked management, low pay, fired without warning, no advancement

Overall Great Job!

(This review is based on working at the corporate office in the call center) They are very good at explaining what is expected from you. You are expected to learn a lot and be very knowledgeable. It can be a lot dealing with angry members at first but overtime you learn it's not personal. The hardest part of this job to me was the inflexible hours. It is VERY difficult to get time off. Over the 3 years I was there most people who be fired for missing too many hours, which isn't too hard to accomplish. I was very pleased with the diversity not only in general but also management positions too. There is a ladder to climb if you want to keep at this job over a long time. They love potlucks and celebrating holidays. There is room for raises but personally I think considering all the expectations they have on you, it should be paid more. Also in order to advance you have to be good at specific tasks, you can be great to your member but if you don't meet their expectations you can miss out on advancements.

Pros

Diversity, Learn a lot, great community

Cons

Requesting Time Off can be a challenge, Repetitive, parking

Rethink applying

This company is known for firing their tenures to replace with less experienced. This enables them to pay less. It’s like high school but worse dealing with other employees. In addition it’s all about office politics when it comes time to promote.

Management needs work

Management is unwilling to properly train those without a lot of cash handling experience. The training for the company alone is way to broad and short! However management has the power to attack those that do not fit their description of a perfect kiss up and they do not hold everyone accountable fairly, in other words favoritism. I’ve personally seen people get fired for mistakes others get away with. It’s too unstable for entry level. There Are better more established institutions out there

challenging and rewarding

Work is challenging but in a good way because we deal with fraud and dispute claims, our duty is to do the right thing and to save the company money by paying out legitimate fraud and dispute claims and not paying the claims in which our own members are trying to defraud our company. In my current role I have learned many investigative techniques to determine whether claims are legitimate or not. Our management team does a great job of encouraging and guiding us into being the best card investigations specialists possible. The workplace culture is great as we all work together as a team to provide a resolution as quickly and efficient as possible for members dealing with the stressful situation of having a fraud or dispute claim on their accounts. The hardest part of the job is being able to prove when some of our members are trying to defraud us by filing false claims because in some cases we are dealing with seasoned fraud operations that do it as a profession and are quite good at it but at the same time I love the challenge of it. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I get recognition from management and from my colleagues for meeting and exceeding my job expectations.

not good

no work/life balance at all here, no transparency whatsoever, leadership loves instant gratification so nothing is ever fixed permanently but overall

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Golden 1 Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

2.4
InHerSight Score
2.5Personal Development
2.6Career Opportunities
2.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight