Golder Associates Employee Reviews

passive-agressive culture
Project Administrator - Document Control (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAJune 29, 2018
The culture at Golder is sometimes collaborative, but often switches to passive-aggressive. I always felt it necessary to "watch my back".
There was lots of grousing there about other peoples' performance, and often with good cause.
Pros
The pay was OK
Cons
The environment sucked
Good company
Communications (Former Employee) –  United StatesJune 19, 2018
Was a good job and a good company to work for. Seems like they've gotten back on their feet after a rough few years and it's good to see that things have improved.
Just another brick in the wall
Project Geologist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 1, 2018
Worked in the Anchorage AK office. Was part of a buyout firm that was blended into the larger group. Pigeonholed, us and them culture, not really a place that a remember working with fond memories.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Money
Great Place to Work, Lovely People
Receptionist/ Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMay 18, 2018
Fun and friendly place to work. Great benefits. Wonderful people. Lots of Work In Alaska, Lots of High Level Changes lead to Lay-offs. Best Job I've Ever Had!
Pros
People, Pay, Benefits
Cons
Lay-Offs, Changing of Management
Great place to work.
Geologist/Soil Scientist/Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKApril 30, 2018
Overall the company was very top heavy with a high turn over rate for entry level employees. Many were under paid and overworked. However, if you stick with it the opportunities are endless.
Senior Project Manager
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 16, 2018
Great company to work for as a Project Manager. I was successful in landing new work and completing it on time and under budget. In hindsight, I would really like to work there again. I left ONLY for a great opportunity.
Pros
Interesting, clients and sales were exciting
Cons
Occasionally stressful to make deadlines
Not as good as it was when I first started there
Construction Quality Assurance (CQA) Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COFebruary 6, 2018
The local office was smaller when I started and therefore had more of a "family" feel to it. Later, as that office doubled in employees, it became a lot more corporate.
Pros
Periodic in-office training with lunch provided
Cons
Very corporate
Buen ambiente laboral
External consultant (Former Employee) –  LimaJanuary 23, 2018
En general hay un buen ambiente laboral y el trabajo es muy profesional.
Pros
Buen trabajo
Cons
La gente trabaja hasta muy tarde
Great initiative and opportunity for advancement
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Elko, NVJanuary 22, 2018
Working at Golder was a great experience. The team dynamic and collaboration with multiple Golder offices was outstanding. The level of organization presented by Golder staff was impressive.
Fantastic culture and family-like management
Industrial Hygienist (IH) (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 9, 2018
My experience with GAI was nothing less than amazing. Management strives to train, mentor and support new employees. The day to day tasks are exciting and engaging. Even after moving to another company I am still actively connected to many of my former associates.
Pros
Amazing opportunities for entry level and seasoned professionals, ability to travel and see new places, amazing mentors!
Cons
As a consultant, travel is frequently required and while this can be a Pro, having a young family can be equally challenging and a Con.
Stuck in a downturn cycle
IT Professional (Former Employee) –  Lake Oswego, ORAugust 18, 2017
Golder has been caught in the downturn in the oil industry, and it is struggling as a result. Layoffs and shrinkage have been continual over the last 3 years. This makes morale a challenge.
Poor Management and job Security is not a thing
Environmental (Former Employee) –  AmericaJuly 26, 2017
If you are not able to make others look bad to make yourself look good this place is not for you. Management does not care about your well being only about your billable hours worked.
Happy
MARKETING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COJune 8, 2017
This company is near and dear to my heart as it has always been a part of my life! I learned so many skills and became part of its excellent legacy. It was great.
Lack of Leadership and Guidance
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bristol, PAJune 5, 2017
Golder is a fine company to work for. They care about their employees and genuinely try to help them succeed. With that said, there is a lack of mentoring and structure that can leave some junior employees stranded without direction.
Good co-workers, poor mid-level management
Staff Field Ecologist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 7, 2017
I moved across the country for a supposed "full-time" position. The manager of my group only had about 3-4 months of work for me and when that died out other managers were not prepared to take on an employee they were not asking for. The move potentially ruined my career and I can not believe the company was not trying to be more responsible.

I was also expected to work for free when we ran out of paid work (not exaggerating - the supervisor expected 20+ hours of free work from me on the justification

Co-workers were all great. Nice as could be.
Pros
Nice office, good location
Cons
You're a workaholic or you won't make it.
Old-school management
N/A (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 18, 2017
Company's management is very old school; innovations and modern work practices are not encouraged. The workload is overwhelming, collaboration and cooperation are non-existent and the overall team spirit is very low. The management communication style is top-down and lacks transparency.
Good place to get experience, difficult for career growth
Geologist (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAApril 3, 2017
Good place to get experience, difficult for career growth. Not a good work life balance, they do not seem to value junior staff, and there is a lack of mentorship. Since the reorganization- it has a very corporate feel.
Mixed Bag
Senior Project Accountant (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAMarch 13, 2017
Great people to work with, and is an employee owned company that allows any employee to purchase.

Going through a lot of changes, and haven't really cause up with the times.

Doesn't allow telecommuting even though there is no reason not to.
Pros
Employee Owned
Cons
Growing Pains
Great Group
Sr. Electrical Designer (Current Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAFebruary 23, 2017
Great group of people. They went through a restructuring as far a what types of projects to bid for it seemed either we got priced out or overlooked for quite a few.
Ok Company
PROJECT MANAGER / SENIOR PROJECT ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAFebruary 7, 2017
Typical engineering consulting company. It is struggling to adapt to the modern world and maintain competitive salaries.
The quality of the work environment changes from office to office.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Golder Associates. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight