Gong Cha Employee Reviews

fun work place for high school students
gong cha bubble barista (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJNovember 18, 2018
overall a very good work environment, pay wasn't food enough for a college student. learned how to handle costumers. typical work day involves making a lot of tea and coffee
Very high expectation management
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  century squareSeptember 12, 2018
in this company i have learn how to manage a few stores, how to run the store n manage the staffs. How to solve problems during operation times. How to setup a new store, order stocks and arrange the stocks n equipments and liaise with suppliers.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CASeptember 11, 2018
was training, occasional assessment, lots of workers, not enough hours, am, pm shifts, Nice community, low min wage(compensation) in the city, few benefits(wasn't expecting more), occasional drinks per month, people were friendly, local high school and college student work environment, customers come from the bay area all ages

in a day: boba, tea, bar, cashier, bilingual customer service skills, cleaning, setup,
fun part the social atmosphere and the customers, ,when that one person show their appreciation for wonderful service with an unexpected tip reinforces the desire to provide them with wonderful experience
Pros
occasional drinks, community, experience
Cons
pay
Quick paced
Barista (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 18, 2018
The best part was becoming a family with your other coworkers and just bonding over work related things. Management was somewhat poor due to the fact that they did not give out even amount of hours and only focused on one group to earn the most hours.
Pros
Free Milk Tea
Cons
Very low hours
Poor Management
Full Time Barista (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 5, 2017
Although Gong Cha was a great place to work at for college students and just for fun. However management itself is horrible ! The manager had her favorites and had some that she doesn't like. Basically have to be manager's pet. You are forced to remember everything there from drink SOP to topping SOP. which is good but ridiculous at the same time. Pay was minimum wage and there are tips every month . Have nothing good to really say about this company itself.
Horrible management
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 1, 2017
Extremely poor management
managers treat workers like trash and expect workers to memorize the whole menu within two to four 5 hour shifts of training
Not to mention training was horrible
Pros
discounts
Cons
No ac, Strict and mean managers
Great parttime job as a college student
Barista (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYAugust 30, 2017
This job is more preferred for college students than people who are doing this as a career unless you are in higher positions such as shift leaders or management. I personally enjoyed the time working even though cheap customers have unreason complaints or demands can be stressful at times. The work here is relatively easy and can learn a lot from other co workers.
Management can vary as the company is too structured. Some managers are better while some are lacking in the company.
Crafted teas
Barista (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX 77036July 25, 2017
Each crafted tea is made for different customers. With 40+ tea drinks from the menu, I had to learn each and every one. It was quite easy to memorize what goes into each drink. The staff was very kind and friendly. Once the store was packed, each person had their own customer and their order. It was fast-paced and difficult, but it became easy once I got into my rhythm.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
short breaks, and bad management
Tea
Shift Leader/Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 29, 2017
It is fun when it's constantly busy. Your mind is just in the zone. I enjoy making customers happy and my peers. Management wasn't always there so sometimes you have to be the one thinking on your toes.
Co-workers were fun, nothing else
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 24, 2017
Co-workers were the only good thing about working here. Management is terrible and they hire managers who don't know how to communicate and listen to the concerns of the co-workers and much less know how to be a manager and manage the store. Store can be in a complete mess right after renovations without prior warning to any workers and they would still be forced to open on time when the place was dirty and disoriented. You can tell your concerns about your manager to the boss but nothing will be done even if she says she will look into it. Sold almost 1000 cups on special holiday occasions/summer in a day? Here's a $10 bonus for your valiant hard working efforts only on xmas, thanksgiving and New Years. Pay is decent if you are in a not so busy location that only sells about 200 cups a day.

It doesnt matter how hard you work for the store, it will all go unnoticed because all the higher ups are always only looking for ways to stupidfy the store more even if there is no room for anything.
Pros
Unlimited drinks
Cons
Tea tastes worst than it was a year ago, Poor managing skills from all the higher ups, Customers never know what they ordered even if it was just 10 seconds ago, barely have time to fully enjoy your food
former shift lead
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 6, 2017
It was a great time with my coworkers, but that was all. Poor management in the store I worked at, workers' concerns are heard, but nothing was done unless we kept on reporting it, concerns relate to store environment, and how some requests from upper management could not be done simply because it doesn't really work out. Hardly any communication between management and the workers, this could cause misunderstanding in so many cases, because it should be a store where everyone is able to communicate,since it is a small store. No advancement unless you are in good terms with your own manager, can't share your opinion if it is against them, no room for any type of voice.
Pros
free tea for yourself
Cons
short break, no communication, no one see your efforts
Great overall job
Barista (Current Employee) –  san joseNovember 15, 2016
It is tons of fun and work never gets boring. My coworkers are amazing and they provide the job with so much life. The flexibility is great as well as the management.
A Life with Cha (Tea)
Barista (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJuly 4, 2015
Working as a Barista wasn't really hard there were days that were busy, but it would only last for about 1 hour. Usually, a typical day would be slow. Management and my fellow co-workers were really cool for a small place.
Pros
Management understood our needs
Cons
Not enough work hours
It was comfortable and Productive
Barista (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 15, 2015
I would clean up what needed to be cleaned while waiting for customers to walk in. When one finally comes inside, I'd walk up to the cash register and ask how may I help them. Doing this has helped me to always stay busy especially while the business was running slow. This fast-pace environment has taught me to be Diligent and quick.I enjoyed working with my co-worker, since they were helpful,reliable, and respectful. For me the most enjoyable part of this job was making creative drinks from the menu because it was nice to see how satisfied I made the customer.