Gooch & Housego

Working at Gooch & Housego: 9 Reviews

United States9 reviews

2.6Pay & Benefits

A lot of things to learn

My time at gooch & housego was short but well lived and the work was interesting. a lot of outdated machines at the time I work. people were friendly

Medium size Company with a Garage management style

Joined the company thinking is was growing, and that they had a good management team in place. The GM will squeeze every penny out of operations, including the employees compensation.

Pros

The UK Corporate Management

Cons

The US Senior Management

Gooch & Housego insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Supportive environment
  • Trust in colleagues

High-tech Company managed in a traditional way

Products of G&H are high-tech. In the meantime its culture is more traditional and conservative. Acquired multiple sites and they are run relatively independently.

Pros

Steady growth

Cons

Constant pressure for growth

Upper management completely out of touch

The company headquarters is in the UK, and they are completely out of touch with the actual achievements and problems at the U.S. sites. Good technology, and good lower level personel could lead to much higher success both for the company as a whole as well as individual contributors, yet distant management is too out of touch to optimize.

Pros

Clean building, pleasant co-workers

Cons

Stressful environment.

good benefits

good benefits but no room for advancement. i work 40 hours a week, there is no stress as long as you do your job. flexible schedule. The hardest part of the job is dealing with management

Good company to work overall

Strong and proactive management Aggressive pursuit of technological advancement Good benefits package Market leader in many categories Diversified portfolio

Pros

Broad coverage of technologies

Busy and engaging

A typical day at work consists of performing production tasks, analyzing test data, and performing experiments to optimize production and test procedures.

Overall I only worked for one branch of the company and I am sure this one branch is not indicative of the company as a whole.

A typical day of work was full and had many tasks. I interacted mostly on the electronics side of production and enjoyed the job I performed as well the tasks that were given. My boss felt confident enough to leave me with minimal to no supervision, but I also knew if I needed help with any situations he was there to help. I feel that management as a whole was okay for the exception of one top manager. I feel that this person was in need of some definite people skills and interpersonal communication skills. I don't like to speak ill or negatively about anyone. There wasn't anything hard about the job and my co-workers from electronics were personable and amicable.

Pros

Bonuses, luncheons on the holidays and 401K with company matching.

Cons

Micromanagement and necessity of people skills.

G&H is company in transition.

* Many creative and driven co-workers on both engineering and production levels of operations* Very good exposure to emerging optical technologies* Difficult to get upper-management to be open to change* Lacking team environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gooch & Housego. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss