Good Neighbor Community Services Employee Reviews

Poor manager
DSP (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJuly 23, 2019
Management sucks. No one cares for the client. have seen house manager abuse clients and district manager ignore it. Staff always running out of needed supplies to complete tasks. Managers more worried about house appearance that health and well being of clients.
Behavioral Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 9, 2019
I learned a great deal about working with clients with severe mental illnesses. My company provided awesome trainings every week. I had several supportive coworkers and managers. My managers provided me with valuable feedback during my evaluations. I even learned how to write better treatment plans. This company is passionate about helping individuals in the community.
Good Training
Residential Group Home Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Northern VAJune 17, 2019
Good Neighbor offers the best training in residential living. You are trained on every aspect of the job and the federal and state laws that apply. The company is 100% for the safety and wellbeing of the residents and take great care and providing the best living environments possible.
Good place to work. At the beginni g, the hours were ok, but as time progressed, and people were left, the hours fell to all the remaining staff.
Direct Support Professional, Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 3, 2019
We were a group home for individuals with ID. We would help them with their daily living skills, take them into the community for inclusion purposes, and help them deal with the stress of being away from their families.Taking them out was always the best part of the job, seeing how they reacted to things around them. Toughest part was handling the physical part of it. If one of the residents began to have issues, we sometimes would have to put them into therapeutic holds.
Pros
going into the community
Cons
Dealing with behaviors
Terrible company to work for.
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Wytheville, VAJanuary 12, 2019
Management is terrible. Unorganized company. Dishonesty from upper management. Very unstable and unbalanced. I wouldn't recommend this company. Long hours, no leadership, poor communication skills. No structure.
Pros
The individuals
Cons
To many to even mention
Get in and get out
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 12, 2018
Management is very lazy and petty. Co-workers are irresponsible. Everyone is only looking out for themselves. Management does not want you to call out because they will have to fill in for you if they can't find a replacement so they lie about your job security. you are very much unappreciated for the work you put in.
Pros
Indoors
Cons
Low compensation, no extra holiday pay. Unreliable co-workers, lazy management.
Family oriented
Medical Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, NEDecember 5, 2018
Love what I do, I'm looking for closer job at home. Love the way patients get treated, the nurses are really good help even with helping out the front desk.
Pros
Love this job
Cons
Its about 30mls from home
Productive, fun, caring enviroment
Creative (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 14, 2018
Good Neighbor is a place for service. We are here to help people in need through the benefits we offer. I personally feel that this company provides employees with a safe, caring environment for employees and that our main focus is to get things done, and have fun! I love it here so far.
Pros
Benefits Package, 401K, Everyone is friendly
Cons
Small company trying to grow.
Best company I've ever worked for!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 14, 2018
It's rare to be a part of a company and a culture that's as unique, authentic and committed as Good Neighbor! So proud of the work we do day in and day out. Never feels like a day at work when you love what you do and the people you work with!
Corporate office (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 14, 2018
I've found this to be a great company to work for. In the office, it is very collaborative and the CEO advocates to find what you are a best fit for, and to grow within that area. I have seen many promotions since I have started, which is very encouraging. Overall, I would promote working for this company.
Great place
House Manager (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, VANovember 13, 2018
Enjoyed my time while there. Learned a lot from the company. Although stressful at times , but what job isn't, it's still a good company to work for. Plus the pay is pretty good.
Nice place to work.
Behavior Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 13, 2018
Overall GNCS is a decent place to work. A typical day can be eventful or uneventful depending on the needs of clients. I have learned to become more productive with my time and organized with paperwork, due to the unforeseen needs of clients.
Pros
Benefits, flexible schedule, supportive Clinical Supervisor.
Cons
Daily submission of Paperwork.
Great Place to work if you can afford it
Behavioral Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAOctober 17, 2018
The supervisors are some of the best people I have ever worked with and my coworkers are great. However, due to the fact we work in a smaller office, we don't have as many clients. Your workload is never consistent, which is par for the course but the longer you go without a full caseload, the harder it is to make a living in this area. Hampton Roads can be an expensive area to live in. You add family, animals, how much you are driving and it really begins to add up. I feel like we should be given more opportunity to find ways to fill the gaps when we have no clients. I would be willing to do office work if it meant I would get my hours. I feel like there is no incentive to stay and not go to a different company.
Pros
Great Pay, Flexible Schedule, Support from Managers
Cons
inconsistent hours
neh
DSP (Current Employee) –  Warrenton, VAAugust 16, 2018
stay away if you can, but if you don't have a choice, it's a temporary job at best. Company doesn't care about their employees, poor management, they will hire anyone.
Pros
Three days off in a row
Cons
a lot, to much to list. Underpaid, Not good benefits, poor management, don't care about their employees
Average, stable workplace
Mental Health Community Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 30, 2018
Average workplace, stable employment, good benefits and job security, average management and work culture. Centered around Medicaid regulations and compliance more than evidence-based treatment and training.
A good place to work.
Residential Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 14, 2018
Its a good place to work overall. Every job has its draw backs. What makes this job hard is the employees you manage. Upper management is very supportive.
Incompetent Management and Unrealistic Expectations
Behavioral Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 18, 2018
Good Neighbor is poorly managed and places highly unrealistic expectations on its employees. I have been told to drive 2 hours away from home in inclement conditions, flooded highways and icy roads, just to meet some arbitrary bottom line. Yes there is schedule flexibility and you will do what you love- provide mental health services. However, there’s a reason so many people leave GN and there are so many job openings always. There needs to be some cultural changes and training for management and direct supervisors at this organization. Goodbye to your weekends, evenings, and the normal time that everyone else is off. They should call this place Good Luck not Good Neighbor.
Pros
Flexibility to an extent, building relationships with clients, make a difference
Cons
Overly critical management, unrealistic expectations, Training is not intentional, poor pay if you have an advanced degree, schedule is subject to when clients are available so you will be working weekends and nights, horrible network coverage for healthcare
Taking Patients on outtings
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAApril 29, 2018
Making sure residents have their daily needs met. Cooking with residents helping with hygiene. Residents may be going through anxiety and having to use redirection or TOVA. Mostly daily is giving medications, Preparing for day programs, showers, dinner, and any appointments that may be scheduled.
Pros
having four days off
Cons
No breaks and 14 hour weekend shifts and not able to take off
Unorganized company and high turn over rate
Residential supervisor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 15, 2018
Staffing is horrible and they hire anyone as a DSP, TL, HS. Very unorganized company. They're a rather new company thats growing too fast, in turn, they are unable to deliver the best quality services.
Overworked, under paid and not adequately staffed
Team Leader of Direct Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 11, 2018
Good idea for a company but hard to run without staff. Overworked, under paid and not adequately staffed. So as a supervisor you are always on call and never can have a life outside of the company. Also the pay rate is 40% lower then similar jobs in the state of Virginia.
Cons
Not enough staff to fill shifts

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Good Neighbor Community Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Good Neighbor Community Services Reviews by Location