Good Samaritan Society Employee Reviews

Productive and Spiritual Place to work.
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Greeley, CONovember 25, 2018
Typical work days are very productive especially at the end of the month. I have learned a lot different accounting functions, including ARC and PCC (Point Click Care) software. Increased my knowledge of Medicare, Medicaid, and private insurance. Management treats us well. On every major holiday (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, Fourth of July, etc.) the CEO sends a nice email to the entire company reminding us of the real meaning of the holiday. The most challenging part is learning PCC as the features change and it is updated. Religion is a big part of the culture as well as the founders effect. I enjoy helping residents and their family members with questions.
Pros
Holiday Potluck lunches
Cons
lack of promotions
Has Potential if Management Were Stronger
NAR (Current Employee) –  Waconia, MNDecember 5, 2018
This place offers decent wages and the residents are wonderful. Staff continuously show heart, commitment, and positivity when they first start working. Unfortunately, that makes them targets and they quickly become as unhappy and detached as everyone else on the front line.

Management is terrible for the most part. There is a lot of favoritism, and suggestions are mostly ignored. They do an annual gallop survey that doesn't address the issues of the facility, and if you speak up, you will face retaliation. The HR rep is amazing, although her hands are tied because she isn't allowed to do much. Dietary manager is somewhat of a sociopath. DON is very nice, but doesn't address nursing issues or have his nurse managers act professional. Housekeeping manager is also nice, but does not understand how to manage staff. The administrator is like a ghost- they say she exists, but only a few have seen her.

The potential is there, and it's sad that no one is tapping into it.
Pros
Residents, co-workers
Cons
management, willful ignorance to issues, benefits are bad
Official response from Good Samaritan Society
December 6, 2018

We appreciate your honest feedback, and are glad you enjoy your co-workers and residents. We strive to provide a positive working experience for all employees who carry out our mission each day. Thank you for your comments, we will work with our leadership team to address them.

Awful experience (RN)
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Golden Valley, MNOctober 16, 2018
This company gives you no guidance. The training was almost non-existent and the management was very gossipy and hard to approach. If you had questions, you were looked down upon and expected to figure it out on your own.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
No work/life balance, no guidance, no ability to improve
was pulled to work the floor insted of rehab frequently.
Restorative nurse aide (Current Employee) –  Arlington, OHNovember 22, 2018
Frequently pulled to floor to work as an aide. Not enough staffing. Management does not help the floor staff enough, Low moral Low pay No regular pay raises.
Pros
lunches are $1.50
Cons
Lots of mandated shifts
Good Environment
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLNovember 5, 2018
I like my job fun atmosphere work with great people under new management in January 2019 hopefully will have pay raises and better benefits other than that it's a great place
Pros
advancement opportunity
Cons
payrates
Nursing Assistant
Nursing Assistant Certified (Former Employee) –  Greenacres, WAFebruary 6, 2019
Enjoyed working with this company a lot. Positive and driven culture. Great management. Patient care and employee satisfaction are a priority. They continuously trained and educated staff on equipment use and dementia care.
Pros
Management, culture, values
Cons
Low pay and staff shortage
Nice offices/ great atmosphere
aministrative assistant (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDNovember 14, 2018
It was a great place to work with great people when we had a good director. Very busy which I liked, learn a lot about the medical field. I like to office work so I pretty much liked everything I did there.
Pros
reasonably priced Healthcare
Cons
very seldom get a raise
elderly care
Registered Nurse/Case Manger (Former Employee) –  Hastings, NEOctober 7, 2018
A typical day starts with setting up my computer. Seeing patients and assessing them. Doing paperwork. I learned a new program for my job. Management is fairly young. Hardest part of my job is losing patients. Enjoyable is some of the staff I work with.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
not getting off work when I need to
Kind of rude management, religious practice, not for me
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Windsor, CONovember 20, 2018
I worked harder/more efficiently than people who had been there for years, but always got passed up for every good opportunity, HR is plain rude to people who aren't openly "praising god". I had an issue with another worker being rude and ordering people around that was very lazy doing the job, but because she had been there a while, her bullying was overlooked. Forced to participate in religious prayers.
Pros
Had a cool manager at first, she got fired for being "too tough"
Cons
No reliability with co-workers
advancement/raises
Inventory control/purchasing (Current Employee) –  Peoria, AZJune 26, 2018
As far as raises are concerned been with company 5 years and have not received a raise every year the same reason we did not profit this year. As far as advancement opportunities there is none. Employee communication within management there is none its more of who can I pass the buck to.
benefits
Cons
no advancement
Fun place to work. Caring environment
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 28, 2018
Management creates a nurturing environment, working towards building a collaborative, team mentality, has already made a difference in the time Ive worked here. The director of nursing displays a rare combination of strength, poise and compassion that's not often seen in positions of leadership. The company is in good hands(DON,ADON, Adminstrator)
I'm excited to see what our location is capable of as we move further past the foundation set forth by our management.
Pros
Great coworkers, great residents
Cons
(None)
Tight knit family-like workplace
RN Case Manager Home Health (Current Employee) –  Golden Valley, MNApril 1, 2018
A typical day at work for RN Case Manager is spent in the field completing 4-8 nursing visits. There are some days one may work 4-5 hours per day and some 12 hour days. There are so many opportunities for knowledge & skill advancement. Management is a pleasure to work with; they are kind and understanding. As noted in the summary the workplace culture is tight knit, I consider my co-workers part of my family. The hardest part of the job is the long days; in home care, you don't leave your work at work as in many other nursing careers. The most enjoyable part of the job is really making a difference in the lives of the clients we serve.
do not work well with others
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Villisca, IAMay 23, 2018
This particular facility does not help any employees go further unless you are good buddies with the management. The employees and CNAs will all gang up on any employee they do not like to get rid of them. they will write you up for everything even if it is an honest mistake and all other employees have done and nothing has been done. The DON is constantly on her phone she does not call she texts when she needs anything like to ask if you will cover a shift or pick up days. not every employee has to follow the policies like no cell phones on the floor and no personal calls at work. just an all around bad place to work.
Pros
benefits and scrub truck
Cons
extremely short staffed due to inability to keep anyone
Hostile and Incompitent
Head Landscaper (Former Employee) –  Hastings, NEJanuary 17, 2019
Upper management was very contradictory to what the society was about. They consistently went back on their word and did everything they could to pass blame when things were not done properly because of their willingness to underbudget the important things and overbudget for things that were not priority in my job field. They had no idea at all what it would take for a large campus to run a self sufficient landscape department.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Management/employees
Loved the residents
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Brainerd, MNAugust 3, 2018
If you were one of managements “favorites” then there was no problems. Manager can be heard talking about other staff in inappropriate manner. A typical day was checking in with staff and residents, checking orders, medications etc. then anything could happen and I loved the excitement and being busy.
Pros
Wonderful residents
Cons
Politics, it’s all about the money to them
Great employees Bad Management
DELAND, - DIR OF FOOD & NUTRITION (Former Employee) –  DeLand, FLJanuary 14, 2019
Great people and residents. Management and Upper corporate management are not very in tune with their employees. The budget for allocation of equipment never cme to fruiton. I walked into ACHA nightmare. The kitchen was violated and i turned it arouond. After correcting the issues, GSS decided to sign a third party vendor to manage this account. Hence, the lost of my poisiton.
Fueled with people with big hearts and good intentions
Cook/Server, Certified Nurse Aid (Current Employee) –  Hays, KSDecember 12, 2018
Running, busy, non-stop, that is a typical day.
Management has the right ideas but no follow threw. There seems to be a lack of commitment and focus.
The hardest part of the job is seeing the inconsistent care given to many residents.
The most enjoyable part of the job, giving a smile to those residents who have few to no visitors.
Official response from Good Samaritan Society
December 13, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with others - we are glad to hear you enjoy your interaction with residents. We find profound meaning in caring for others and strive to provide high quality care to all residents. We appreciate your service and the joy you bring to those you serve.

Certified nursing assistant
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  NebraskaSeptember 22, 2018
Management is terrible, horrible, no good very bad. Have had 5 different director of nursing, 2 different administrators and human resource people. Employees don’t even last a week before they quit. Staff is lazy and rude to residents and nothing is done about it. Completely under staffed, refuse to bring in agency or extra or work the floor to help. Staff burn out and they don’t care. Poor communication, meetings are pointless and don’t accommodate all shifts. You have to find your own replacements. Get denied days off even when you give them time in advance because you didn’t find anyone to work for you. Schedule is always changing. Guilt trips for calling in and told YOU HAVE TO COME IN if you don’t have a replacement.
Lacks in Training they train you on a hall and throw you on another hall to work your first day alone. No teamwork unless your friend is working that night. They want you to come in work sick just take some Tylenol we will have our nurse take a look at you here. Continual call ins.
Pros
The residents are wonderful the facility is beautiful
Cons
Terrible Management
Certified Nurse's Aide (Current Employee) –  Fort Collins, CODecember 16, 2018
Management needs stability. We constantly go through different directors of nursing. The team lead CNA position needs more structure and job requirements/descriptions and that needs to be communicated to all employees, for better understanding and acceptance. Need to work on full staffing of CNAs.
Pros
Clean facility, Eden alternative principles
Cons
unstable management
The Fading of Good Samaritan Society
Quality Assurance/Therapy Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXFebruary 1, 2019
I was hired in 2016 by Good Samaritan Society as Quality Assurance. That position was responsible for reviewing all home health OASIS assessments for policy and procedure errors and making corrections before being submitted to CMS. 6 months into being employed here the owner of the Denton branch was terminated and Good Samaritan Society took overall ownership. by the end of the year, it was decided that Quality Assurance would be handled entirely by and RN as opposed to a non-clinical employee. I would like to stress that even though I don't have a formal degree or license in nursing I am a member of the AAPC and have had education certification in Medical Coding and Billing plus 5 years previous experience in Home Health. There is no law against non-clinical empoyees performing clinical review with respect to medical coding, this was just a company policy. Basically, the position I had that I thought would further my coding career was taken away and I then was moved over to do Therapy Coordination which is honestly a dead-end position as Good Samaritan's focus is nursing-based, not therapy based. I feel like my career goals were taken away thanks to corporate/financial red tape and as of today, my position in total was absorbed and I was let go.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Good Samaritan Society. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight