Good Samaritan Society Employee Reviews

Miserable work place
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mohall, NDDecember 10, 2018
I enjoyed the work and the residents, the problem is the coworkers. Most of the employees absolutely hate where they work but feel stuck as there isn’t many other options near by. There is a mother/daughter duo working there who are nurses that will do anything to get their way and the DON is known for being their puppet. This place is basically run by the CNAS, nurses, and housekeepers who have been there for 10+ years, not the administration. New help is usually scared off by the ones who have been there for so long.
Horrible place to work
LPN (Former Employee) –  Estherville, IADecember 6, 2018
Management is awful. One nurse manager is a huge bully and harasses staff. Management does nothing to help. You do not see the whites of any managers eyes unless they have a question about a resident. The only time you can get help from a manger is when state is in the building.
Has Potential if Management Were Stronger
NAR (Current Employee) –  Waconia, MNDecember 5, 2018
This place offers decent wages and the residents are wonderful. Staff continuously show heart, commitment, and positivity when they first start working. Unfortunately, that makes them targets and they quickly become as unhappy and detached as everyone else on the front line.

Management is terrible for the most part. There is a lot of favoritism, and suggestions are mostly ignored. They do an annual gallop survey that doesn't address the issues of the facility, and if you speak up, you will face retaliation. The HR rep is amazing, although her hands are tied because she isn't allowed to do much. Dietary manager is somewhat of a sociopath. DON is very nice, but doesn't address nursing issues or have his nurse managers act professional. Housekeeping manager is also nice, but does not understand how to manage staff. The administrator is like a ghost- they say she exists, but only a few have seen her.

The potential is there, and it's sad that no one is tapping into it.
Pros
Residents, co-workers
Cons
management, willful ignorance to issues, benefits are bad
December 6, 2018

We appreciate your honest feedback, and are glad you enjoy your co-workers and residents. We strive to provide a positive working experience for all employees who carry out our mission each day. Thank you for your comments, we will work with our leadership team to address them.

Caring environment
Travel Physical Therapist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liberal and Dodge City, KSDecember 1, 2018
These facilities are typical skilled nursing facilities with rehabilitation options. Due to the remote locations, it was hard to keep staffed and so was often dealing with many and varied unfamiliar or contracted staffing.
this is a non profit
Director of Social Services (Former Employee) –  Kissimmee, FL 34746November 30, 2018
The staff operate like family. They have morals and values that are positive to all man kind. the day started with positive prayer and talking about the better of all who reside there. The team operates interdisciplinary and they try to accommodate everyone's needs.
Pros
great positive atmosphere
Cons
no advancement in social services
Good
Dietary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albion, NENovember 30, 2018
Good place to work at if you are in high school or need a job. I worked in dietary and that area never gets any appreciation from the nursing staff. The nurses treat you badly and think they are so much better than you.
Decent
Cook (Former Employee) –  Lennox, SDNovember 28, 2018
If you need hours, this was a good place that overworked you. My manager was very awesome. But they didnt understand normal people cant work 60-65 hours a week because they were short staffed
Pros
Free Food
Cons
To much pressure to work overt 40 hours
November 29, 2018

Thank you for the hard work you provided during your employment at the Society, and we are glad you enjoyed the people you worked with. We value your opinion and will share this information with others.

Productive and Spiritual Place to work.
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Greeley, CONovember 25, 2018
Typical work days are very productive especially at the end of the month. I have learned a lot different accounting functions, including ARC and PCC (Point Click Care) software. Increased my knowledge of Medicare, Medicaid, and private insurance. Management treats us well. On every major holiday (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, Fourth of July, etc.) the CEO sends a nice email to the entire company reminding us of the real meaning of the holiday. The most challenging part is learning PCC as the features change and it is updated. Religion is a big part of the culture as well as the founders effect. I enjoy helping residents and their family members with questions.
Pros
Holiday Potluck lunches
Cons
lack of promotions
was pulled to work the floor insted of rehab frequently.
Restorative nurse aide (Current Employee) –  Arlington, OHNovember 22, 2018
Frequently pulled to floor to work as an aide. Not enough staffing. Management does not help the floor staff enough, Low moral Low pay No regular pay raises.
Pros
lunches are $1.50
Cons
Lots of mandated shifts
Kind of rude management, religious practice, not for me
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Windsor, CONovember 20, 2018
I worked harder/more efficiently than people who had been there for years, but always got passed up for every good opportunity, HR is plain rude to people who aren't openly "praising god". I had an issue with another worker being rude and ordering people around that was very lazy doing the job, but because she had been there a while, her bullying was overlooked. Forced to participate in religious prayers.
Pros
Had a cool manager at first, she got fired for being "too tough"
Cons
No reliability with co-workers
Decent place to work
LPN/ Clinical Services (Former Employee) –  Brainerd, MNNovember 17, 2018
Typical issues in health care, staffing is often a problem, staff is rewarded for good work with free lunches provided by management, as well as other celebrations thru out the year
Pros
Employee lunches/ celebrations every few months
Cons
short staffed consistently
Great place to work but understaffed
Dietary (Current Employee) –  Bismarck, NDNovember 15, 2018
This is a very good place to work but sometimes the understaffed areas start to slow your work down a lot and then everything goes down hill but if fully staffed everything runs smoothly.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Understaffed
November 19, 2018

Thank you for your feedback and for your service. We really are glad to hear that you find The Good Samaritan Society to be a great place to work.

Nice offices/ great atmosphere
aministrative assistant (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDNovember 14, 2018
It was a great place to work with great people when we had a good director. Very busy which I liked, learn a lot about the medical field. I like to office work so I pretty much liked everything I did there.
Pros
reasonably priced Healthcare
Cons
very seldom get a raise
Productive work environment
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liberal, KSNovember 11, 2018
I worked ar Good Samaritan for 5 months but also doing another job at mosaic. I enjoyed taking hands on care with the elderly and learning something new about them everyday.
Pros
Good team work
Cons
Other stations or office people wouldn’t help out cnas
Horrible management
Maintenance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kaneohe, HINovember 11, 2018
Management is horrible. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Management are too indecisive and condescending.

You’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t.
Good if you want a lot of hours
Nurse (Current Employee) –  NebraskaNovember 7, 2018
Always plenty of hours to pick up. Poor staffing. Unable to keep nurses, probably related to pay and amount of hours worked. Have worked 50+ hours a week for 5 months straight now and staffing isn't getting any better.
Pros
Plenty of hours
Cons
Short on nurses, pay
Don't go there!
LPN Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Peoria ArizonaNovember 5, 2018
Don't go to work at this location. That is all I can say. If you don't click with staff, you will end up in office almost every shift you work. Managers don't want to hear what you have to say, and there is no win situation. One of the CNAs always report to managers whatever you do, especially if you give her task to do. And of course you don't tell her to do nothing that is out of her scope. The sad part is there is no team work, everyone works against everyone. For example, you tell your manager so and so CNA refused to do vitals, and manager tells you , "Oh, you are charge nurse, they have to do it. You delegated task, and CNA has to complete it." But, then that same manager comes to the floor, and tells you in front of very same CNA, "them doing vitals for you, is not their priority". At that point you just turn around, and continue with your work since you have to complete everything before your shift ends because you will get written up for overtime.
Pros
Working with residents
Cons
Everything else
Good Environment
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLNovember 5, 2018
I like my job fun atmosphere work with great people under new management in January 2019 hopefully will have pay raises and better benefits other than that it's a great place
Pros
advancement opportunity
Cons
payrates
Loving/Caring Environment
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tripp, SD 57376November 5, 2018
I enjoyed the work that I did at GSS. It was difficult to leave due to school. I would recommend this work place to anyone looking to get their CNA. I learned a lot from them and and very grateful. Relaxed work environment yet quick paced. Hard work but at the end of the day I wasn't burnt out.
November 19, 2018

We're excited to hear that your employment experience was a positive one, and appreciate your positive feedback about working in Tripp, SD.

Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLNovember 1, 2018
Staff was very friendly. Great management team and wonderful faith-based company. First not-for-profit company that I had ever worked for and it was a wonderful experience.
Pros
Fun team to work with
Cons
Insurance could be better

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Good Samaritan Society. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight