Good Shepherd Services Employee Reviews

No one knew what they were doing
Support Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2018
It was so unorganized. A good place to gain experience with working with kids, but the adults were a different story. They always held my checks back, (weeks) and when I would get the check, only half of my money would be given.
Pros
close to home
Cons
unorganized
Overall great company but poor choice of directors
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 5, 2018
I enjoy my job as a receptionist but there’s a lot of favoritism which I definitely do not respect! Hard work tends to go unnoticed and people tend to look out for themselves.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Poor leadership and no benefits for part timers
A productive and busy work day.
CASE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 11, 2018
I have a very busy work day. and it varies form day to day. I work with girls ages 13-17. The culture at work is fun and excepting. I work with a diverse group of people. I enjoy where I work, and I am always hopeful to advance. The learning process is continuous.
Pros
There is room for advancement
Cons
When you are salaried there is no overtime
taking care of patient
Provider Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Elsa, TXJuly 2, 2018
Had to take care of patient. Clean the house do the duties of taking care of a patient. The hardest part of the job was the clocking in from the phone but then I learned.
A Place with a Future
Assistant Site Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 13, 2018
GSS is the best decision I ever made. This organization is a true force in the non profit sector. With a clear dedication to the service of the youth and the support of their families GSS makes me proud and eager to come to work.
Pros
Vast training, remove for advancement
Excellent
Therapeutic Foster Care Program Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 9, 2018
Wonderful place to work
Team Approach
Career Developing opportunity
Focus on youth and development
Education is highly promoted
Tuition Reimbursement
Very hard work
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
No advancement
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seymour, WIJune 3, 2018
I ended up getting demoted to an activities assistant because management never got me the classes I needed to be an resident assistant. So I ended up not being able to be in the position that I wanted to be in.
Productive and Fun work place
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 9, 2018
A completely focused workforce dedicated to help communities and youth. Great staff that works together to help participants reach their full potential.
Enjoyable place to work
Program Assistant (Paid Internship) (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 26, 2018
A typical day at work was greeting guest and students.
The skill I learned was organizational skills with files and great customers skills. The magnet of this was site was Stick because of the scanning machine and cellphone was not allow in the building while doing work and to be hand over phone keeper until the end of the shift .The work place culture is filled with friend and professional employed. The harder part of this job was understanding death customers but I can not complain because i end up learning a bit of sign langue. The most enjoyable part of this work site was the employed were allow to listen to music while working .
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
no phone Allowed
cook
Cook (Former Employee) –  Jaffrey, NHApril 19, 2018
Fast paced and very stressful. Training not sufficient. No support. Manager not appropriate for management. Not a friendly environment. More training and support needed.
Great Environment
External Relations Internship (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 27, 2018
i love working here, staff is wonderful, quiet but great place to focus, interactive, very understanding, amazing mission plan ( we all want the same thing for the youth)
Pros
Quiet
Great Not for profit organization
Child Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 12, 2018
Organization embraces interns and provides opportunities for growth. I had a great experience. I completed two internships through the Learning to work program. Good Shepherds does care about the people they serve and it reflects through their staff.
Stressful, long hours
Case Planner (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 2, 2018
Management was terrible. I received little to no training in the beginning stages of my hire. It was my first experience in the child welfare setting which would solidify my feelings in the field. I received little training in my knowledge of testifying before a judge, I was provided with completed reports and was told to mimic the style of writing. They did provide training, however, it came after the fact as we were required to complete reports without full training.
Pros
Employees were helpful
Cons
Poor management skills
Productive and Fun Workplace
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 22, 2018
I worked in the summer with there summer camp program every Monday and tuesday we took the kids on trips. It was fun and interesting getting to interact and help the kids.
Community based and giving culture
Benefits Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 7, 2018
As a social service based organization the day can be stressful due to the high needs of the employees interacting with youths from various backgrounds. However it is a learning organization which constantly provides opportunity to develop and grow its staff.
Pros
Collaborative and community based
Cons
Fluctuating staff schedule makes it difficult to track of active employees.
Average day at a secure facility for youth
Youth Developmental Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 1, 2018
An all girl program which house girls from as young as 11 to 17 in a secure locked setting that requires a staff present at all times the girls cannot move to next room without supervision
Laid Back
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 1, 2018
Overall, it is a cool place to work but management sucks the life out of the place, To many unimportant meetings just to check up on the employees, no one trusts anybody.
Pros
Personal Space
Cons
Cut Throat industry
good place
Family Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 7, 2017
Good management. The CEO was very professional and treated us all the same, even though I (am) African American and she was Caucasian and Jewish. I was very comfortable with her. The CEO even made a deal with the workers to take a 30 minute lunch break and work, 9 hours per day. if we do this we could work only 4 days per week
Pros
Good management
Terrible work place
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 7, 2017
This was not a place where I felt comfortable at. There was a lot of favoritism at the site I worked at. Which was located in the Bronx. Management was very poor and unprofessional. My site director was rude and disrespectful and very condescending which caused after school staff to leave as well as admin. The pay here was good but to go through the drama and stress was not worth it. Directors stay in the office then give false evaluations when they are never present and went off of hearsay. Do not waste your time here.
Cons
Poor management, favortism
Create a safe and fun environment for children
Program Aide (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 22, 2017
Good workplace environment, neighborhood is busy. Staff care for each other, staff and parents usually have good communicating relationships about children.
Pros
Scheduling
Cons
No vacation hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Good Shepherd Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight