Goodwill Industries of Southeastern Wisconsin & Metropolitan Chicago

Goodwill Industries of Southeastern Wisconsin & Metropolitan Chicago Employee Reviews

Advancement
ASM (Current Employee) –  IllinoisMarch 24, 2019
I received multiple promotions while working for this company. This company helps employees to further their careers by investing their time and training.
Pros
Training
Cons
Insurance, Work life balance
Stressful, understaffed, overwork employees and poor management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lemont, ILFebruary 21, 2019
The management is terrible, they like to stay in the back and slack off, text in the office, and talk to other employees. They barely help with EMR. Expects the employees to meet their goal which is exaggerated. Always understaffed, expect one person to complete a 3 person job. Promises to make things better but it hasn’t. Breaks are 15 mins long (2 breaks if over 7 hrs), 30 min lunch are okay for me (must work for 6 hrs to get lunch). Expect people to donate to the next dollar every time. You get a point every time you call off and if no one can cover your shift. Half a point if you are late or leave early even if it’s one hour left of work or 30 mins. No emergency days off. Can’t use PSL unless you are with the company for 6 months.
Pros
20% Discount, PSL (Paid Sick Leave)
Cons
Poor management, understaffed, overworked, exaggerated goals, drama between employees
Decent first job, but don't squander your loyalty
Donation Attendant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 8, 2019
Enjoyed working as a cashier, but was later moved to working as a donation attendant due to an exodus of workers. I held the position for about 2 years with a perfect attendance. The back room had always lacked sufficient staffing and was very stressful, but kept with the job out of loyalty. I was recently terminated without notice for a correctable policy violation with no other standing corrective action.

Policy>people is the way of life at Goodwill. Ironic, considering their mission is to help people with employment, but they won't acknowledge those doing the heavy lifting.
Pros
Good base pay and flexible scheduling
Cons
Insignificant raises, detached management, understaffed
good work life balance
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orland Park, ILJanuary 26, 2019
I enjoy the good work life balance this company gives to their management staff. It nice to have off every other weekend when working in retail. It is also nice to be off the 4 major holidays a year.
fast paced work environment
Donation Attendant (DA) (Former Employee) –  Round Lake Beach, ILJanuary 20, 2019
Take donations, sort donations, price larger donations such as furniture and large items and ensure they make it out onto the sales floor, keep up with the fast paced work environment, pay attention and multi-task.
Pros
Discounts, interesting donations
Cons
They have zero tolerance when you get sick then fire you.
a grate place to work for the meantime
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  West Hills, CAJanuary 8, 2019
the people you work with is random, this job is meant for people who need a job. However, this doesn't mean that you will work with people who want to work. people get hurt and tho company is understaffed. you work hard and there is no room to move up in the company unless you decide to apply as if you are a new person for the position.
Pros
flexible hours, great manager
Cons
no real room to move
Co Workers were Fantastic
Donation Attendant (Former Employee) –  metropolitan chicagoOctober 30, 2018
I was a donation attendant. Bad Management at the one I worked at. Store Manager had the "do as I say not as I do attitude" . Just sat in the office all day, never helped out even when asked, like when the cars were twelve deep at the donation area. This is a job where you work really, really hard physically. You put away racks and racks and racks of clothing, it never ends. You sort through lots of dirty underwear, dead mice and unspeakably gross things. Lots of pressure put on you to make your numbers, so much that managers often ask you to inflate them, which can get you fired. You can't leave the building during your breaks either. We had several mentally disabled people and the way the managers treated them was heartbreaking. The managers live in fear of "Corporate" visits, and crack the whip on you to get the place clean before they come. Yet we are told that Goodwill is not a Corporation. On the bright side, co workers are fantastic. I would NOT recommend this as a place to work
Pros
Co Workers
Cons
Management here is not good
Good environment, mgmt tough
Donation Attendant (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, IlOctober 12, 2018
This was one of the best experiences I have had as far as the people worked with. Great fun in back room. Customers could be very rough, seem to feel that a thrift store does not deserve the respect that a normal retail store does. Mgrs could be rough but we're relatively fair. Point system a little unfair. Not going to get rich here, but people are great to work with.
Pros
Paid sick leave
Cons
Mgmt
Made me severely depressed
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Arlington Heights, ILAugust 18, 2018
There is never consistent and straightforward training when you are hired. You shadow other employees and sometimes you shadow people who have only been there a couple weeks longer than you have, and each one just kind of teaches you their style. The mystery shopper ordeal and corporate visits are a hassle. They expect you to get multiple clothing racks done during a shift even when theres only two people on the floor the whole day. The customers are so rude and treat you as something less than a human just because it’s a thrift store. There’s a major transaction problem with language barriers between customers and cashiers. The discount is like 15% or something. The pay is $10 which isn’t bad but it’s not great for the tasks they have cashiers do (display case attendant, fitting room attendant, cashier, customer service, getting carts, cleaning up broken glass, cleaning up clothing displays, trying not to lose your sanity). Overtime is also mandatory and sometimes you shift is 3:30-10 but you don’t leave until 11 or 11:30 (pm). I left for these reasons: i found a better place to work, the managers are hard to work with sometimes, scheduling is inconsistent at times, the high turnover rate, getting out late at night, and sky hi expectations for floor people. My co-workers are the one thing that made it kind of ok. You can’t leave the building at all during 15minute breaks. You can leave during 30minute breaks if you work 6+ hours which doesn’t include overtime that you are forced into. I worked there for a pretty long time but I couldn’t handle it anymore
Pros
Coworkers, break room often has free food
Cons
high turnover rate, unrealistic availability demands, customers are ruder than most retail stores, forced overtime, unrealistic expectations, hours are inconsistent
A wonderful employment career
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WIAugust 16, 2018
It was a great job. The management was very supportive. The benefits were substantial. Teamwork was stressed and everyone was supportive of each other.
Unfair
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Plainfield, ILJuly 4, 2018
Been working for goodwill about a year and I don’t receive my yearly raise, even though I work very hard to achieve what needs to be done on my shift.
Pros
Clothing discount
Cons
Pay
Okay place
Floor Associate, Donation Attendent (Current Employee) –  Menomonee Falls, WIMay 15, 2018
It’s a good place but I would really wanna go back cause it was only a temporary job and I didn’t really wanna go any further with it like go be a manager or etc
Not really worth it
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Arlington Heights, ILApril 13, 2018
I went full force and excited to have work at Goodwill.
I've always shopped there and found great bargains, so I figured why NOT work there as well.

Bad idea. The work load is ok. Not bad at all. But it is a little slow paced and at times you finished your task and couldn't find a manager or such to figure out what else was needed.

Management was ok. Friendly, communicative and ready to help...when they were found.

Few things really bothered me:
I was told it wasn't a corporation. But yet I was told that Corporate would stop by at times to make sure everything was being done to their rules.
The breaks....I've NEVER worked in a place where you can't leave the BUILDING (not even to the parking lot to your car to sit and rest, or just outside to get some fresh air) during your break.

It was made clear that during breaks I was to stay inside the building at all times...

Then employee discount. They made it so difficult to obtain the employee discount that I decided to not even use it. It wasn't worth the hassle, seriously.

Job hours...practically non existent. Worked just 2 or 3 days out of the 5 days I could work.

I left my 3rd week there. Was not worth the hassle. And honestly, working there has also pushed me away as a customer.
Pros
None really..
Cons
Cant leave during break. No hours. Hassles everywhere
Stressful and a high turn over rate
Retail Supervisor (Former Employee) –  IllinoisMarch 20, 2018
I've worked for 2 different regions of Goodwill and The Southeastern and Metropolitan Chicago Goodwill doesn't appreciate their employees nearly as much as they should or could. The employees don't receive bonuses like other regions, only the management teams. Yet it's the employees that are doing the dirty work ie., digging through trash on a daily basis. You would be surprised at some of the things that are donated just to avoid a trash bill monthly.. From nasty underwear to dead rodents.

The Management teams really vary. You have the few who work side by side with the employees and you have the ones that have advanced so they now feel like the dirty work is no longer their problem so they've become office managers of sorts to avoid the hard work.

The best thing about Goodwill is that they DO create jobs for people true.. But so did slave owners.
It was a great place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Milwaukee, WIFebruary 19, 2018
Goodwill was actually a great place to work, only problem is they don’t care about your personal life you can never miss work or be late the points adds up quick but overall the employees, Mangenment, and customers all made it a comfortable work place do recommend!
Pros
Mangers
Cons
Attendance points
Management training was no good. Training managment to busy talking to eachother more than me.
Merchandiser Manager (Former Employee) –  Wauwatosa, WIFebruary 7, 2018
I would not have left but the training was not good at Wauwatosa store. Would not train you it would be more take this test, count this, price, receive, Inventory, end of day paperwork shown then walked away. They had meetings about the day and what the day was about I was told not included because I am going to another store.
Good job could be good money if you get the hour,s alternate weekend,s.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Great Lakes, ILJanuary 20, 2018
As a shuttle driver very stressful.Not enough hours.Management,be very careful.On some schedule,s u work every Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday and Monday,s split shifts😌😞😢
Pros
21.43 some of your coworks great!!!!! some want to be the Boss!!
Cons
Working every weekend
A Great PlaceTo Work!!!
CDL Class A Driver/warehouse/postal driver (Former Employee) –  Great Lakes, ILJanuary 4, 2018
Goodwill is a great place to work. They are very fair in there pay and benefits with great care in job placement!!Most of the managers are thoughtful and caring and do work towards helping there employees when called upon. Hours are really good and they work with your schedules.
Pros
Good pay! friendly people to work with.
Cons
Advancement is hard unless you have collage degree.
Productive and not so fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Carpentersville, ILNovember 17, 2017
Not so friendly environment stressful place to be will not recommend any one people who shop complains about the store and it’s policy ,the same people who donate are the same people who come back to shop so. Will get a lot of reports of how. High the price go its suppose to be a nonprofit organization but it does look so
Pros
Discount
Cons
Less hours
Wosrt job i have ever had
Donation Attendant (Former Employee) –  Bartlett, ILNovember 8, 2017
I was over worked beyond belief. Always stayed late or did double to cover for other donation attendants who didn't show up. Was being called in almost all my days off and I was the only donation attendant available for mornings and days because the others either left or are in school and can only work after school. We ran the best store in the area. There were so many donations coming in that I couldn't keep track of it all by myself
Pros
N/a
Cons
Work not worth the pay. Managers font communicate with each other or the other associates.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodwill Industries of Southeastern Wisconsin & Metropolitan Chicago. Our community is ready to answer.