Goodwill Industries of Southeastern Wisconsin & Metropolitan Chicago

Goodwill Industries of Southeastern Wisconsin & Metropolitan Chicago Employee Reviews

Made me severely depressed
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Arlington Heights, ILAugust 18, 2018
There is never consistent and straightforward training when you are hired. You shadow other employees and sometimes you shadow people who have only been there a couple weeks longer than you have, and each one just kind of teaches you their style. The mystery shopper ordeal and corporate visits are a hassle. They expect you to get multiple clothing racks done during a shift even when theres only two people on the floor the whole day. The customers are so rude and treat you as something less than a human just because it’s a thrift store. There’s a major transaction problem with language barriers between customers and cashiers. The discount is like 15% or something. The pay is $10 which isn’t bad but it’s not great for the tasks they have cashiers do (display case attendant, fitting room attendant, cashier, customer service, getting carts, cleaning up broken glass, cleaning up clothing displays, trying not to lose your sanity). Overtime is also mandatory and sometimes you shift is 3:30-10 but you don’t leave until 11 or 11:30 (pm). I left for these reasons: i found a better place to work, the managers are hard to work with sometimes, scheduling is inconsistent at times, the high turnover rate, getting out late at night, and sky hi expectations for floor people. My co-workers are the one thing that made it kind of ok. You can’t leave the building at all during 15minute breaks. You can leave during 30minute breaks if you work 6+ hours which doesn’t include overtime that you are forced into. I worked there for a pretty long time but I couldn’t handle it anymore
Pros
Coworkers, break room often has free food
Cons
high turnover rate, unrealistic availability demands, customers are ruder than most retail stores, forced overtime, unrealistic expectations, hours are inconsistent
A wonderful employment career
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WIAugust 16, 2018
It was a great job. The management was very supportive. The benefits were substantial. Teamwork was stressed and everyone was supportive of each other.
Okay place
Floor Associate, Donation Attendent (Current Employee) –  Menomonee Falls, WIMay 15, 2018
It’s a good place but I would really wanna go back cause it was only a temporary job and I didn’t really wanna go any further with it like go be a manager or etc
Not really worth it
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Arlington Heights, ILApril 13, 2018
I went full force and excited to have work at Goodwill.
I've always shopped there and found great bargains, so I figured why NOT work there as well.

Bad idea. The work load is ok. Not bad at all. But it is a little slow paced and at times you finished your task and couldn't find a manager or such to figure out what else was needed.

Management was ok. Friendly, communicative and ready to help...when they were found.

Few things really bothered me:
I was told it wasn't a corporation. But yet I was told that Corporate would stop by at times to make sure everything was being done to their rules.
The breaks....I've NEVER worked in a place where you can't leave the BUILDING (not even to the parking lot to your car to sit and rest, or just outside to get some fresh air) during your break.

It was made clear that during breaks I was to stay inside the building at all times...

Then employee discount. They made it so difficult to obtain the employee discount that I decided to not even use it. It wasn't worth the hassle, seriously.

Job hours...practically non existent. Worked just 2 or 3 days out of the 5 days I could work.

I left my 3rd week there. Was not worth the hassle. And honestly, working there has also pushed me away as a customer.
Pros
None really..
Cons
Cant leave during break. No hours. Hassles everywhere
Stressful and a high turn over rate
Retail Supervisor (Former Employee) –  IllinoisMarch 20, 2018
I've worked for 2 different regions of Goodwill and The Southeastern and Metropolitan Chicago Goodwill doesn't appreciate their employees nearly as much as they should or could. The employees don't receive bonuses like other regions, only the management teams. Yet it's the employees that are doing the dirty work ie., digging through trash on a daily basis. You would be surprised at some of the things that are donated just to avoid a trash bill monthly.. From nasty underwear to dead rodents.

The Management teams really vary. You have the few who work side by side with the employees and you have the ones that have advanced so they now feel like the dirty work is no longer their problem so they've become office managers of sorts to avoid the hard work.

The best thing about Goodwill is that they DO create jobs for people true.. But so did slave owners.
It was a great place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Milwaukee, WIFebruary 19, 2018
Goodwill was actually a great place to work, only problem is they don’t care about your personal life you can never miss work or be late the points adds up quick but overall the employees, Mangenment, and customers all made it a comfortable work place do recommend!
Pros
Mangers
Cons
Attendance points
Management training was no good. Training managment to busy talking to eachother more than me.
Merchandiser Manager (Former Employee) –  Wauwatosa, WIFebruary 7, 2018
I would not have left but the training was not good at Wauwatosa store. Would not train you it would be more take this test, count this, price, receive, Inventory, end of day paperwork shown then walked away. They had meetings about the day and what the day was about I was told not included because I am going to another store.
Good job could be good money if you get the hour,s alternate weekend,s.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Great Lakes, ILJanuary 20, 2018
As a shuttle driver very stressful.Not enough hours.Management,be very careful.On some schedule,s u work every Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday and Monday,s split shifts😌😞😢
Pros
21.43 some of your coworks great!!!!! some want to be the Boss!!
Cons
Working every weekend
A Great PlaceTo Work!!!
CDL Class A Driver/warehouse/postal driver (Former Employee) –  Great Lakes, ILJanuary 4, 2018
Goodwill is a great place to work. They are very fair in there pay and benefits with great care in job placement!!Most of the managers are thoughtful and caring and do work towards helping there employees when called upon. Hours are really good and they work with your schedules.
Pros
Good pay! friendly people to work with.
Cons
Advancement is hard unless you have collage degree.
Productive and not so fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Carpentersville, ILNovember 17, 2017
Not so friendly environment stressful place to be will not recommend any one people who shop complains about the store and it’s policy ,the same people who donate are the same people who come back to shop so. Will get a lot of reports of how. High the price go its suppose to be a nonprofit organization but it does look so
Pros
Discount
Cons
Less hours
Wosrt job i have ever had
Donation Attendant (Former Employee) –  Bartlett, ILNovember 8, 2017
I was over worked beyond belief. Always stayed late or did double to cover for other donation attendants who didn't show up. Was being called in almost all my days off and I was the only donation attendant available for mornings and days because the others either left or are in school and can only work after school. We ran the best store in the area. There were so many donations coming in that I couldn't keep track of it all by myself
Pros
N/a
Cons
Work not worth the pay. Managers font communicate with each other or the other associates.
My Personal Review
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lombard, ILNovember 1, 2017
My experience of Goodwill has been great. Many people have influenced some of the decisions I have mad but also the customers. My typical work day consisted of starting off as a cashier but somedays ending up at the back pricing or helping with donations. I enjoy my experience at Goodwill and hopefully, I will be there long.
Great job fast paced challenging.
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Great Lakes, ILAugust 10, 2017
It is a great job to work for their franchise is challenging everyday . Get a chance time interact with other people who are willing to help you with working task and you help others who are new to the company. Assisted Others in training with sanitation that is required for a job like this so that there are no sickness.
Pros
Great job working with others
Cons
Face challenges fast paced
Low Pay
Donation Attendant (Current Employee) –  Grafton, WIJuly 17, 2017
Goodwill prides itself on training and development but often overlooks the fact that you still need to compensate someone fairly for the work they do. Similar positions in other retail jobs pay relatively the same for less hassle and stress. More importantly, many jobs pay more for similar work.
Great Company
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Woodridge, ILJune 27, 2017
This company has given me many great opportunities. The typical work week I've looked at since working here has been about 19-30 hours and it keeps me busy all day. The hardest part of my job is using my best judgment to price items accurately when they don't have the proper pricing tags on them. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to help customers find items that they may need to furnish their homes or clothe themselves at an affordable price, and knowing that the money goes towards helping make careers for those who have disabilities, which is a part of Goodwill's mission.
Productive work days
Sales Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILJune 20, 2017
A typical day's work at Goodwill Industries was filled with physical labor, but the overall work was satisfying. I learned better organizational skills, safety protocols, and janitorial work. The management was fine, but it definitely needed some work as some managers made things too personal, but overall, they would get the job done. The workplace culture was quite friendly and I made many acquaintances. The hardest part of the job was that sometimes, the work was unstructured, unbalanced, and there wasn't much training for even the newest of employees. However, the most enjoyable part was the satisfaction of helping a customer when they had a problem and helping the company succeed.
Pros
Easy to take time off in advance, coworkers were friendly, work was easy to figure out
Cons
Managers can make things too personal, won't be given the help when necessary, PTO and Bereavement only available to Full Time Employees
Fast paced & and demanding work environment. Being part of a team all the time & growing together.
Donation Attendant (Former Employee) –  Franklin, WIMay 26, 2017
It is definitely a good place to work if you're looking to build character & sharpen your customer service skills. Given proper technique on lifting & backroom safety.
Pros
2 - 15 minute breaks & 1 - 30 minute lunch
Cons
Downtime management
team member
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIApril 18, 2017
I enjoyed the job and learning new things and how to do them the right way.
Meeting the customers and stocking the shelves ,pricing merchandise, inner acting with customers.
Pros
love meet new people
Cons
having to leave the job
Managers Don't Care
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bartlett, ILMarch 15, 2017
So much miscommunication amongst every manager there. Never knew my exact duties. Loved working there, but not with the most recent management team. They do not care about you or your life outside of work.. do not even try to take days off.. even for emergencies.
Pros
Easy job concept
Cons
Miscommunication, pay rate/raises, late hours
Busy but Fun
Retail Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Carpentersville, ILNovember 15, 2016
I enjoyed working at Goodwill. They care about their employees and you feel good because profits go to helping people. If given the chance I would go back and work there again.
Official response from Goodwill Industries of Southeastern Wisconsin & Metropolitan Chicago
December 2, 2016

Thank you so much! We’re so happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodwill Industries of Southeastern Wisconsin & Metropolitan Chicago. Our community is ready to answer.