Goodwill Industries Employee Reviews

Found 14,194 reviews matching the search See all 14,506 reviews
Decent Place to Work
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYDecember 10, 2018
Not a bad place to work, especially if you have a less than perfect background, as Goodwill is an employer that hires those who are disabled and have other disadvantages such as a poor background.
Fast pace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Matthews, NCDecember 10, 2018
You have to be fast and think quickly because you are hanging clothes all day and have to get them done in a timely manner all while ringing customers up
Pros
If you meet sales, you usually get a treat
Cons
Other employees are rude
Decent entry level job
Sales Associate/Cashier/Donation (Former Employee) –  Hartville, OHDecember 10, 2018
I enjoyed the people I worked with, the management at my level were great. The upper management didn't seem to care if you succeeded or failed. I felt like a number to them which may be the reason there is such a high turn over rate at the entry level, the raises are very minimal. It would be hard to live on your own or raise a family on this kinda of pay. but overall it was a good experience.
I am proud of myself
Goodwill (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CADecember 10, 2018
There aren't enough words in my brain to explain how grateful I am to be part of Goodwill. I met a lot of amazing people through Goodwill. People with all kinds of backgrounds and difficulties. I learned from them and they have inspired me. I am also proud of myself for being a direct influence too them. I believe that I have shaped many as they have done the same to me.
Just no
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hermitage, PADecember 10, 2018
I was very quickly promoted to csm only to find out I only made 5 cents an hour more to be a manager. Because they are a non profit they dont ever have to give you raises, and trust me they don't. They are the most schiesty company i have ever worked for, they get all this stuff for free and want you to charge out the wazoo. I priced housewares. I had to dig though broken glass and mouse carp to price stuff. They locked the dumpster so no one could get anything they were throwing out. I really needed money at the time so when a donation attendant quit I offered to fill in to get some more hours, most of which would be overtime. I'm a woman and everyone in the donation center were guys because you had to run a forklift and it was dirty and very physically challenging. So I passed my lift certification and was allowed to work back there but the store manager made me use one time card for the front of the store and a separate one for the doantion center and did my payroll in 2 separate checks so I wouldnt get paid any over time.some weeks i worked 70 hours!
Pros
Cool stuff comes through
Cons
Shady company. Terrible pay.
Nepotism, Mismanagement, Negative Culture San Diego Goodwill
employee (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 9, 2018
Currently an employee of San Diego Goodwill Industries. I cannot say what location or what my position is for fear of retribution against me.

But let's be clear, look elsewhere to work.

Management lacks any real knowledge or experience. They don't follow policy but expect the employees to follow policy to the letter.

A manager at one location, who has some serious clout with the upper ranks was allowed to hire one of his friends to be a supervisor. Hence you get an idea of the culture.

If you have any serious breakdown, mentally or physically from the constant bombardment of stress, you will need to provide proof from your doctor to have restrictions.

The business model they follow is medieval and outdated, but they believe in it as it allows them to exert power over the underlings.

If the managers say they are doing their jobs for the "mission" or believe in the "mission", consider holding back your faith in them.

The "mission" of giving people jobs is but a ploy to bulk up their ranks with minimum wage earners to crank out that profit margin.

They encourage all employees to report anything on anyone, posters on the walls encourage this culture, you may surprisingly become a target for whatever reason they deem.
Pros
hard to come by
Cons
too many to list
The hardest you'll ever work for the least amount of money
Donor Agent University Park Good Will Manasota (Current Employee) –  University Park, FLDecember 9, 2018
Good transitional job for the person that is job shopping yet requires a steady income to budget life's essentials. It is a very hands on laborious job, that is dominated by inexperienced supervision.
Pros
Fills the weekly calendar
Cons
Hands on labor with very little to no recognition
Work
Lead Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 9, 2018
I was happy with Goodwill. Just needed set hours for my family. The management team was very nice and helpful. Goodwill does a great job with promoting from within.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
no set schedule
Simple but competative
Production Processor (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZDecember 8, 2018
You have a quota to reach everyday, week and month. An eye for detail, ability to work quickly and accurately. Management were pretty well put together with the right amount of friendliness evened out with the strictness. The most difficult part of this job would probably making quota when there weren't many donations. I overall enjoyed the environment of this job and the consistency
Pros
incentives for goals made, points system, and celebratory lunches
Cons
not everybody shows back up for work
Good learning experience and test of my skills
Donation Attendant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ILDecember 7, 2018
Working at goodwill has been a fairly decent job, the only place lacking for me would be their pay. The management was a little lacking in some areas, but overall it was a positive experience.
Pros
Paid lunches
Cons
Low pay
My experience
Organizational worker (Current Employee) –  Soledad, CADecember 7, 2018
I really liked the other employees& manners at Goodwill. Also, the evoke focus of placing jobs in the community. Everyone works together to help each other throughout the work day. Àlso very customer orientated.
Pros
Internships
Cons
Not with job openings
Excellent Place to Work
Assistant Manager I (Current Employee) –  Council Street, Cedar Rapids ,IA 52402December 7, 2018
I think the mission of Goodwill is like no other company. The company believes in helping anyone that has a barrier and goes at length to do just that. I have observed them strive to complete this mission through community, individual store, and personal efforts to assist those in need of help.
In a typical day you will meet clients and customers integrated together. Unfortunately you might not see the integrity of those that shop the stores, but you will always see the mission in those that work there. The management is kind and work long hours. They quickly move throughout the store to keep the workplace culture upbeat, and the store neat and organized. At the end of the day you will be exhausted, but it will be nothing compared to the smile that will light your face when you see someone employed who has a barrier and is earning a good wage after receiving support from Goodwill services.
Pros
See Your Work In Motion
Cons
Take the Good with a Little Bad
N/a
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LADecember 7, 2018
I really don't have much to say but management is very poor at the location I was at an other than that I loved working there and making my customers happy
Favorite
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CODecember 7, 2018
This was definitely on my top two for returning to work here. I had set hours. The employees and management were always kind. There was never a bad day here.
Days would be difficult
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Centennial, CODecember 7, 2018
On a typical day at work we would have an influx of customers that we could interact with. I learned to be efficient in the work place as we had to constantly sort through wares and move on to the next.
Management was not up to par, big lack of direction from management. The workplace was fair, some days employees would horse around, some days they would get work done. The hardest part of the job was the amount of weight that we had to carry, very tedious and straining position. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know the employees, they were very nice to me when on the job.
Pros
Long lunch
Cons
Poor management
The management is terrible.
Rancho Cordova - Clerk Processor (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CADecember 7, 2018
This is a fun job, and I enjoyed my Co-workers, but the management team and the expectations will kill your spirit and make it a very unpleasant place to work. The management is very hypocritical and their methods of getting things done are highly unethical. The quotas they have in order are unreasonable. You over-work yourself on a daily basis and it is never acknowledged nor is it appreciated. There is no team work when it comes to Goodwill, and I don’t want to be a part of that.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Management, benefits, low pay
work place
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 7, 2018
it a good place to work but need to get people more hours my exprience It was ok but I didn't get more hour and I didn't get move up I wanted to get move up but I didn't
No perks but relaxed atmosphere
Assembly Worker (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIDecember 7, 2018
Minimum wage forever , no paid holidays but still have holidays off, i wasn't able to afford life but nice people working there and the environment is relaxed
Pros
Chairs
Cons
They take on more work than they have employees
A great place to work.
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 7, 2018
Like every company, there can be some hard days. However, the great days far outweighed any bad experiences I had at Goodwill. The management was very supportive and wanted everyone to have a chance to advance in the company.
Pros
Opportunities to advance
Cons
Slow turnaround on requests.
People not held accountable
Can not disclose (Current Employee) –  Newark, OHDecember 7, 2018
Unfortunately the highest rank of management from the very top down are not held accountable for policy violations, attendance, and conduct. Many things are "swept under the carpet".
The main focus is not the mission. It's about making money. Go check, it's all public record. How much the top person makes, company earnings etc.
Pros
compensation
Cons
work culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodwill Industries. Our community is ready to answer.

54.7K

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss