Goodwill Industries Employee Reviews

A fair workplace with a challenging work envrironment.
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Gilbert, AZFebruary 22, 2018
A typical day at work for me is customer service and floor care. I learned how to better manage money and the cost of things. Hardest part is balancing duties given by managers. The best part of the job is having fun coworkers.
Friendly work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 22, 2018
Very friendly environment to work in.Everyone is well mannered and nice. If you don’t like people this would not be the best job for you. Customer service skills is a must
Good work
GENERAL WORKER (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXFebruary 22, 2018
Good job to work and go to school. Very competitive work environment. A good first job place. Have to be okay with being on your feet for long periods of time.
It was all about the money
Senior Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORFebruary 22, 2018
They talk about helping people, but at the end of the day its all about the money. There is a lack of commitment for helping the local community beyond what is required to maintain their non-profit status and support their perceived status. There are dedicated employees there, but the corporate culture is difficult to work with in general. There are exceptions, but even they have challenges with the big brother mentality. The job assistance programs are a "smoke and mirrors" environment to generate numbers. Very frustrating system.
Pros
The ability to help some people, some committed workers, some good management
Cons
management, focus on money, limited opportunity, mean spirited culture at times
I loved the students I job coached!
Job Coach/Job Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHFebruary 22, 2018
Overall it was okay but I needed more hours and a better wage.I did want to continue working there but the company didn't have the budget to keep on my position as a job coach.
Pros
Great rapport with my students!
Cons
Not enough hours/wages.
Good community involvement
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 22, 2018
A very busy day consist of customer service, leadership skills and scheduling projects and making sure all donations are processed within a 24 hr time frame.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
No set schedule, work morning shift, mid shift, and closing shift
Hard to obtain processing quotas. Hard to do everything in time space. Nobody follows rules.
Donation Attendent (Former Employee) –  Fishers, INFebruary 22, 2018
They have an ungodly quota for the wares and textile producers. Donation attendants have ungodly list of things to do in a very short time period. Lazy people never seemed to step up and do important duties. Everybody seems to end up stressed out. Nothing changes even after you talk to management. Lazy people continue to be lazy..
Pros
Cons
Look below
it okay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Seaside, CAFebruary 22, 2018
it not hard work just doing the same job everyday sometime it changes a little but it can be fun at some points if you get the right crew and the right hours.
Pros
working with good people
Cons
too many Boss even if they are workers just like you
Wouldn't recommend
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Hemet, CAFebruary 21, 2018
Not a good job. No competitive pay, hours are terrible unless your management, then they don't pay what you're worth. Unless desperate don't apply here
Pros
Cons
A lot
I am a hard working ,sincere kind of person
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAFebruary 21, 2018
i always love to learn new things in my life,as iam always sincere ang loyal towards my job.my best positive attitude is that i always stays for long period in my job
Pros
Cons
short breaks
Productive place to work
ACCEMBLY LINE (Current Employee) –  Sturtevant, WIFebruary 21, 2018
Goodwill is a hard working and teambuilding job. It's a great paying job with good benefits and is a chance to build a career with warehouse work, as such as line lead and forklifts.
Not too bad of a place for work
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, WAFebruary 21, 2018
In mu opinion management needs to be doing their jobs better and be on top of getting their employees to do their jobs, instead of walking on the hard workers and letting those who waste time get away with it
Pros
Benifits, discount
Cons
Poor management
I enjoyed working there.
Sorter- Temporary (Former Employee) –  Maize, KSFebruary 21, 2018
Excellent place to work. Thats sums it all up this ia a great place to work.Willing to learn
Reliable
Adaptable
Motivated
Focused
Customer-oriented
Placed men and children’s clothing on hangers and racks
Pros
Environment is good
Cons
Productive and Interesting to research items from donations.
Wares (Former Employee) –  Portage, MIFebruary 21, 2018
Goodwill offers more then just their thrift store. They offer help to people in need like job skills or getting your GED. I enjoyed all thing things I learned about when I researched donations the price and purpose.
Pros
Blue Money which is in store credit when we made our goals for the month, also 20% off items
Cons
Poor management and trying to hit daily goals which are high.
Great people
Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Middletown, MDFebruary 21, 2018
When I worked at goodwill I loved every minute of it. The co workers are great friendly and nice. The costumers are very nice. The job was kinda hard to keep up with the quote
An average retail job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Webster, TXFebruary 21, 2018
The management when I had worked at Goodwill Houston was very poor and unorganized. Most of the managers did not communicate with each other and they were always having disagreements. Actually working as a cashier was not all that bad. Any 'bad' customers we had were pretty easy to settle down and correct their problem. At the beginning of the shift I would recount my drawer with a manager either in the office or at the register depending on the shift, and then I would proceed to check customers out and clean the front while also tidying up the clothes that I could walk to. At the end of the shift, I would log out of the computer and collect my drawer and take it to the office to be counted with a manager. I would have to count and collect data about the new goods which included sunglasses and earrings. I would also be in charge of the jewelry and just about everything at the front of the store. I got two paid 15 minute breaks and one 30 minute lunch break, only one of the 15 minute breaks was mandatory and sometimes you did not get that second break. I was trying to move up in the company and become a Pricer, which is pricing all the items that are not clothing that come in, which is a price increase and no matter how many times I requested to be moved up, they never moved me up and I was well qualified for the job.
Excellent Purpose - Need Training
Employee (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, MOFebruary 21, 2018
Great purpose, great cause, great people to work with. Company could use a refresher on training their Case Managers/Employment Specialists. Caseload is fair and clients are generally grateful for your help.
It was a good experience
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Teays Valley, WVFebruary 21, 2018
I met a lot of great people at Goodwill. They really worked around my school schedule. I took donations in and sorted through them and it then got put out on the store.
Fairly slow but never boring place to work.
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILFebruary 21, 2018
With all the down time, I was able to catch up on some light reading but it never distracted me from the tasks at hand. Helping people always makes me happy.
good experience
donation sorter (Former Employee) –  Menasha, WIFebruary 21, 2018
I worked here to have my skill sets evaluated after having a stroke 2 years previously. I really enjoyed the friendly, supportive atmosphere, management and employees.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodwill Industries. Our community is ready to answer.

53.9K