Goodwill Industries
Happiness rating is 61 out of 100

Goodwill Industries Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
I loved working for GW but regionals are not to great they do not do thorough investigations on certain things. I learned great communication skills and patience working there. I love how they are different cultures there.
Pros
great teamwork
Cons
stressful at times
Lots of office politics. Management has not changed in several years, and some departments have high turnover as a result. Great mission-oriented organization, with some outdated ideals and room for improvement. Remote work, and emphasis on protecting employees from COVID by keeping the office closed
Pros
Pto, Benefits, Coworkers, Remote
Cons
I very much enjoyed my time at Goodwill. The pay is minimal but the job is easy. Great resources for job advancement and opportunities for education as well.
The bad thing is that there are the same coworkers, who do not want to see you improve, they put a trap for me, where it seemed that I was guilty of not following work rules, and they discharge me out of work without a warning letter, they were unfair to me
While engaging, and able to sell items at minimal expense to the local down on their luck community, it was not too much different than working for the J.C. Pennies at the Tyson's Corner Shopping Mall in Tyson's One, at the Learner property located there.
Pros
I was able to discuss the difference between the Koran and the Bible with a co-worker.
Cons
I had to work late at night, and then had to take one type of prescription medication.
Leave a review. Help people like you.
A typical day at work consists of lots of hanging clothes and putting away items everyday to reach the daily goal. Many regulars will come in and always leave satisfied as a famly member would leaving from visiting their family's home.
As a team excluding the managers Goodwill is a great company but the managers do not treat each other equally they let the part time people go home early keep the employees just been there since opening stay I don't recommend them but to each his own
They want too much for $11 an hour at Glebe site. When the general manager jumped ship the whole store went rogue. Managers got out of control with their power. Making rules up as they go along for. Illegal searches to dress code violations. Too many jobs out there for much better pay. Happy the Napoleon midget manager got me fired. I'm in a much better place for much more pay.
Pros
Diverse friendly coworkers
Cons
Low wages and the loud mouth midget
The job was very easy to understand after a week or so and very relaxed but sometimes high paced and working there was very tiring but very easy because there was always something to be doing
Management does not value their employees. Expectations are set to high and help is never given when needed. When pointing out problems management does not follow through.
Goodwill always has a high turn over rate... Management is unprofessional, unpredictable & unproductive... I worked at the busiest Goodwill in the DMV on Glebe Rd. I also worked double shifts outside in the heat as a donation attendant... But eventually I quit. I was never appreciated for my hard work & dedication to the company.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
I have worked for Goodwill for 6 years and it was great one of the best place to work If I ever get the chance to work I will work for Goodwill again because it is a great opportunity to meet new people and help other.
Pros
you get discount on anything you buy
Cons
so much you can learn
I liked workong there alot. Fast paste. Good energy. Needs patience and strong personality to offer great customer service. Was a clean environment despite it being a goodwill.
I used to love to work for Goodwill. The mission is amazing and I miss the culture we had 10 years ago. The environment has been stressful for years, but it's getting much worse under new leadership. Everyone is jumping ship because the stress is unmanageable and expectations are completely unrealistic. It's burn out or leave before you do.
The job is very unprofessional and stressful. Managers are rude to people. Coworkers treat disabled people like Badly. When you run out of gaylords we dump all of you stuff in the trash can.
Pros
Check
Cons
Rude managers
I enjoyed a few of my coworkers, yet being a Donation Attendant was hectic, unorganized, and stressful. This company does not care about its employees
Pros
Good benefits, nice coworkers, pto, flexible schedule
Cons
Stressful environment, management does not care about employees, lack of organization, failure to implement policies
Work is very demanding.............It is high pace. I would like to my pay to reflect the hard work and dedication I show everyday. Management could use a better method of coaching as well.
Goodwill Industries International prides itself of serving its member organizations and creating opportunities for them to have the funding, tools and resources to best serve the communities. If you are seeking an opportunity to stretch and grow your skills this is the place for you. No slackers here.
I learned enough retail that dealing with customers is ok. One has to learn how to approach the situation if escalated. Once you pass that, life isn't too hard.
Fast paced, work environment, great benefits, team environment with a good mix of independent work. Mission advancement positions are mainly grant funded so they are temporary jobs.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
lack of transparency
The culture at Goodwill Industries International was terrific when I worked at the office in Rockville MD. It included a diverse selection of people, a sense of humor and a sense of inclusion. I left the company with work related friends and support that I have not had from other employers.
Pros
Collaborative, diverse co-workers