Goodwill Industries Employee Reviews in Austin, TX

33.1K
21.2K
11.2K
Found 195 reviews matching the search See all 13,683 reviews
Being new to Texas meeting new people
Head cashier/Employee Trainer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 13, 2018
I enjoyed meeting new people and doing the Auction every week and training the new cashiers. seeing all the regulars an seeing how happy the customer smile..
Productive and fun
Assistant manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TX 78753August 12, 2018
Love the training that is provided to move up to management. They help build a person into getting the right training. They also offer so many resources
Goodwill
Commercial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  1015 Norwood Park Blvd, Austin, TX 78753July 30, 2018
I loved working for goodwill because i had a great manger and everyone was so nice and they made sure i got all of my hours. My manger was a great person because she always made sure i had all of my work hours.
Freindly people/manager sucked
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 21, 2018
Daily duties were to check all customers out and help out as much as possible. Cleaning out the dressing rooms hourly and putting all items on a rack to put back on the floor. Cleaning the aisles and restroom were needed very often. It was a learning experience to try to get along with a manager that was very rude and made rude comments about other people. I mostly enjoyed interacting with new people everyday.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Short breaks
It was more stressfull than anything.
Team member, help customers (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 16, 2018
It was really short staffed the manager at that location did not want to hire more people so overall that was the reason i left the stress became overwhelmed.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Short lunch and darama
No advancement oprotunities
Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 14, 2018
No loyalty from manager very low pay compared to price of living here. I will never return to work at any goodwill location again in my life. Degrading treatment of employees.
Pros
Got a discount
Cons
Low pay not paid for work done
Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 10, 2018
none this is a great company they give a second chance to many deserving people they offer flexible schedules and maintain a possitive attide to all there valued emplyees
Understaffed
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 10, 2018
Being always understaffed and made to do more than one persons job. There were times that I had to do the job of three people and no extra pay, you were lucky to get a thank you.
Pros
paid time off
Cons
horrible working conditions
It was a very easy place to work for and I got promoted quickly
E-Commerce Associate (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 6, 2018
I was very happy there I would recommend it as a job for somebody looking to start again helps you get on your feet good starter job it's very laid-back easy to get along with the people
Difficult Culture
Production Lead (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 1, 2018
There was nepotism throughout the company despite this being in their policy manual that it was not allowed. HR at first was a professional department, but then turned to one where employees had no say. 800 number is suppose to be confidential to report any issues. If you use it you are black balled and your road out the door is imminent. Managers are told who reported what when it is suppose to be a confidential hot line. They often begin investigating items about you that have no relationship to your call. Supervisors do not respect vacation requests, and are unable to give work schedules out until Saturday previous to the work week starting Sunday. This makes it impossible to plan anything. They require you to request time off 2 weeks previous to the date your asking off for, or more. Requests are often lost, ignored, and sometimes denied for no cause. I would only recommend this job to someone who it is entry level to get some type of experience.
Pros
Good customers
Cons
poor management, poor policies, ..i.e. cannot prevent anyone from shop lifting, . Customers can get larger discounts than the employee discount offered, insurance was unusable with a $2000 deductible.
Only Care about $$$
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 27, 2018
Manager tricks you to stay to get her numbers, then sends you home early on last day of the week, so no overtime, long hours same pay, slave drivers, self serving.

Then supervisor scribbles numbers in like work was done.

Great opportunity for advancement ha

Scofield Location.
Gainful experience
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 24, 2018
I started off as a Case Manager and have had the opportunity to advance with the assistance of good supervision. The organization is dedicated to their mission in assisting people with barriers to employment find gainful employment and provide other services to assist them in getting back on their feet.
Pros
Great co-workers and room for advancement
Cons
healthcare plan
Goodwill is a great organization to work for/ Goodwill puts people to work
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 22, 2018
I really enjoyed working at Goodwill Central Texas in Austin Texas and everyone that I worked for were really good and friendly to me. I really miss my relationship from working there in my 10.5 years of employment.
Pros
Great health benefits
Cons
Being away from Goodwill
A great place for the right people
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 20, 2018
It's a job the can be very rewarding, be given the ability to help others and for many employees it is an ability to rebuild a life. It is though a very grueling job, the work can be quite demanding and I have seen many good people show themselves to be incapable of dealing with it.
Over all though, I'd recommend it, but with the caveat that you should know going it that you may not enjoy it. There is no shame in leaving if that's the case.
overall
room attendant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 19, 2018
I really enjoy working for goodwill temp service, they have a good reputation of helping all people. They help with gas cards and bus cards to make sure you arrive to work.
Pros
I really like Goodwill they all people
Cons
so many peolpe are always applying
Fun work environment, horrible benefits
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 3, 2018
The culture is great, but the benefits are ridiculous. There is a great management team but they need to take care of their employees. The whole benefit package including medical and paid time off is horrible.
I enjoyed my internship overall
Whattaserver Intern (Former Employee) –  4125 Felter Ln, Austin, TX 7874May 30, 2018
I learned a lot about a profession that i was interested in during the internship. While i was there i was tough many meaningful skills and enjoyed what i was doing. Its a vary free and open work space vary inviting and nice people
Okay workplace good personalities
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 23, 2018
There’s a very low rate of pay but a lot of hours I wouldn’t recommend it to someone who is independent or who has dependents. I do feel they have great coworkers but the turnover rate in staff is high due to the rate of pay.
Pros
Supervisor sometimes provide food during breaks
Cons
Short breaks, work doesn’t match pay
Good Place to work if starting from scratch
worker (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 22, 2018
Goodwill is a good place to work if your life is picking back up and you need income. Goodwill offers a variety of different programs help to better your future.
working
Donations Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 8, 2018
a typical day at work consisted of getting there. clocking in and heading straight to work. i unracked clothes and racked clthes. i also put away books.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodwill Industries. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight