Goodwill Industries Employee Reviews in Houston, TX

Found 166 reviews matching the search See all 14,344 reviews
duable ,fun,some time stressful.
SORTER (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 15, 2018
well okay ,as a sorter ,some days where fun

some days stressful ,due to management wanting more and more productivity with the same amount of hours
Pros
clean breakroom
Cons
separate
I worked with a great team
Client Services Data Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 28, 2018
I enjoyed working at Goodwill. Unfortunately I worked there at a difficult time in my life and had to seperate from the company. If there was one thing I would ask they improve upon it would be kthe rehire policy. I was a good worker for a good company it would be nice for that to be taken into consideration.
Can be pretty stressful
Tm-1 (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 17, 2018
The current management team is always demanding the best out of someone that works there. They even suspended me for a week or so due to seizures from current disabilities.
Pros
Discounted price on merchandise when shopping.
Cons
Short breaks
Productive fun workplace
Professional Organizer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 13, 2018
I enjoyed my time working for goodwill industries. I learned a lot of new organizational skills that was helpful in my new endevours. It was a positive learning experiance.
Good employess help one another
Door attendant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 10, 2018
Too work at a pace dat your able too work from dependung if your handycap or not its a very good place too work i enjoy d employess very much dey all including d upper staff were very helpfull
Mangers
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 29, 2018
The mangers are very friendly sometimes strict but forgiving. Even though I mess up the managers still trust me to get the job done on time. There will be days the mangers are in a disagreement with each other but it last for a few minutes.
Great Job
Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 27, 2018
Not all goodwill are the same , I saw that for myself when I went to visit other ones in the Houston location. Since I was in a pretty popular one, we had much higher standards so we had to do more things than usual. Overall it was actually pretty fun and some great experience too. I honestly would be stayed if the pay was better for my position ,because it's hard to live off that.
Pros
Not a very difficult job and long breaks.
Cons
Not many cons besides the pay and occasinal multi-tasking
Lack of Growth
Lead Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 21, 2018
When I worked for this employer I went through there Manager in Training program after graduation some strange way I was not able to move to the next level.
Good Company
Donation Attendant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 8, 2018
Goodwill is a non profit that says above all else that it believes in the power of work. In practice it's a retail chain second hand store.

The pay is low and it's not enough to sustain yourself, however it is a good place to get into for an entry level position and pretty friendly to people with a record or a disability. It's not really a place to stay at for life but a very good place to put in some time and get some experience for your resume.

The Donation Attendant is essentially a stockroom/customer service job. You greet people at the door, help them unload their goods, and give them a receipt for their donations. When not doing that you are processing the donations for sale or shipment. It's a simple job.
Pros
Good company, great starting point, Friendly to people with a record or disability
Cons
Low pay, limited hours
Sometimes it's ok at best
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 2, 2018
This was my first job ever so I wasn't as mad about making 7.25 an hour, I thought "hey, maybe it's cuz of experience" but after a while I realized that for the kind of work environment they got going on as well as the kind of stress that the body goes through 8 hours of annoying/messy customers and managers with major favoritism issues, I realized that I didn't get paid enough to give it my all, the only reason I stayed a little longer is because I got promoted to cashier ($7.80/hr), not only that, everyone including myself got a raise, which meant I now got $8.50/hr. OK cool, but that didn't change the negative enviroment within the store, or the manager's attitude towards different people. What's more, there were cashiers working in other stores making $11-$12/hr. That's more than what some goodwill managers make.
Pay sucks, store items are overpriced, 8 hours of work there feel like an eternity.
Goodwill bucks are kinda cool though.
Pros
Goodwill bucks
Cons
Pay, overpriced items, stress on body/mind, negative environment
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 25, 2018
It was a great experience to become a manager at Goodwill. I enjoyed the employees they had great customer service skills. We always stride for success.
Goodwill
Assists center manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 19, 2018
Hardest part of Goodwill was managing employees who no longer wanted to work there. Best part is seeing the excitement on customers eyes when they seen how low the prices were.
Employees love working with me
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 7, 2018
My dream job is working and a office. Since my old boss left the store has change for worst. I’m doing everything that my boss supposed to do and he the one that getting paid for it.
Productive and laidback
Donor Attentdent (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 3, 2018
Organize the center as best as you can, goodwill is an excellent place to shop because they get a variety of great donations..If you don't have anything to organize or package your duty is to wait for a donor to come.. Then you would assist them physically with their donation in exchange for a tax receipt which we provided, then you simply sort away their donations and wait for the next customer to come.
Fast paced difficult to train people
Lead Donation Attendant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 2, 2018
Pffggt.Supervisor wasnt what i expected, basically free for all employees do what they want to do, i even trained people to no avail total chaos and never listen goes agaiinst goodwill protocol.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
N/a
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 29, 2018
Nothing negative to say, This company is a great place to work. I learned new leadership skills and what not to do in a position of power, I also learned that employee morale is very important for production.
I wish they stood up for their employees but because they are just a temp agency it’s not much they said they can do
Customer Service Technician & Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 20, 2018
Goodwill is the temp. Service and they are extremely helpful to me.however because it is a temp. Agency they give me nothing and explained to me they are just a temp agency
Lack of knowledge of the Management role
Merchandise Associate (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 18, 2018
Poor management. Want you to work work work. Get 15 min break if you work 5 hours. 30 min if you work 6 or more. Head Manager has an unprofessional manner and attitude. The floor is a mess, we clean it up but the customers are not work with us but against us and speaking to mgt. leads to nothing. We have to clean bathrooms, mop floors, clean dressing rooms, floor staff is very limited, and still get our racks and carts out in a timely manner. But will grin at the end of shift and say thank you ....
Pros
When the shift is over
Cons
do not work here unless you enjoy being treated as a second class citizen
job security
Donation Attendant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 4, 2018
Goodwill is a good industry to work for as they do provide training in other areas if the opportunities are there to transfer to another facility in other areas.
Pros
Nice workplace
Cons
dealing with rude customers
stressful
Asst. Manger/ Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 4, 2018
Typical workday is very stressful working for this company. MIT, have absolutely no support from corporate or DM is like having no support at all, when the DM is sleeping with the Assistant Managers, who is spying on the Store Manager and causing issues within the store, and with the employees. The hardest part of the job was to stay sane and focused on meeting your daily budgets. There was no enjoyable part of this job. You had absolutely no quality of life while working for this company.
Pros
Cons
quality of life

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodwill Industries. Our community is ready to answer.

54.6K

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss