Goodwill Industries Employee Reviews in Houston, TX

first job
Donation Attendant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 5, 2018
not a bad first job. staff was friendly. easy job. got to see a lot of interesting thing get donated. not bad for a first time job. i was a donation attendant
Pros
discount
Cons
managers
Not the best place to work at
Driver, Sorter, Loader, Unload (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 30, 2018
Had to do to much work for low low pay and the management team wasn't powerful or on one accord. We couldn't even talk in the back room it just wasn't a pleasant place or comforting place to work
order
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 11, 2018
Everyday check for materials needed like bags, receipt paper. Have store representable.When I was pricer I learned the roman numbers when I put a price on a item. Store manager was not understable. Assistant manager where better to work with.
Pros
discounts
Cons
Healthcare and paid
Good environment
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 9, 2018
Goodwill was a good 1 job I had learn a lot there like talking to people everday and and just being a over all good person and working real hard to do the best job I can everday.
rewarding and well-remunerated
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 6, 2018
The job was exciting and productive. There was always something to do. The employees were friendly and willing to help as needed. I learned how to tidy up changing rooms and put items in their proper place.
Pros
flexible hours and always busy
Organized chaos
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 19, 2017
Goodwill is a good job to work if you need the second chance or if you have some barrier to employment. Its minimum wage and the fastest way to make more money in the organization is to be promoted from position to position. A lot work for little pay but again if you really need a job and or a second chance due to background its a good place to get you by.
High Pace
Customer Service/ Cashier/ Pricer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX FM1960December 5, 2017
A typical day consisted of micro management and harassment to ensure employees weren't steeling company time or product. Researching and price comparing, and cleaning products and goods for the highest retail revenue value. The Management was horrible. The employee turn overate a good 90%. The work place culture showed favoritism, lacked in trust and integrity. Poor beliefs attitudes and behavior on the management part. You cant speak up without fear of retribution.The hardest part was making budget, which changed daily, monthly yearly. The most enjoyable part of the job was the new experiences shared with customers. Seeing some of the most fascinating items objects come through and leave a store.
Pros
Great loyal customers
Cons
Healthcare benefits, management, favoritism.
Most recent managers were cutthroat
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 2, 2017
I enjoyed working with my co-workers & the customers were very happy with me because I was always willing to help them but most of the managers were sneaky and cutthroat. They were always trying to find ways to take advantage of their workers. If you had to go to the restroom they would make that your 15min break and you would not even get your lunch break unless you demanded it but they would deduct the half hour so the top management did not know.
Pros
Friendly co-workers & customers
Cons
They were always trying to cut your hours and usually looked for excuses not to give you your breaks
Very relaxing job
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 29, 2017
This job is slow paced but your day would get go by really fast because of the job was interesting ... Everyday we would get donation bins and it like finding treasure
didnt like working there
Donation Attendant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 17, 2017
did not like working there no structer no leadership they dont respect there co workers at all and under paid no rises it was a nigthmare
the worse job i ever had in life
Pros
Cons
no leadership
overall an "OK" experience
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 9, 2017
At the start of my career at Goodwill, I would say it was overall Great for about 3 years , then after i was transferred and switched managers, it began to get ridiculous. The new manager was Rude and didn't have no regards for anyone feelings nor work ethic
Very relaxing enviroment
Donations Attendant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 29, 2017
This company provides discipline and stability for the hard-working employees.you will learn how to multi task and also be very polite. Respect is a must in any work environment but goodwill gives it first so it will be easier for you to do the same
Pros
Everyone is on task
Cons
Short breaks
the manager was problematic and confusing to staff
Donation Attendant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 17, 2017
I think it was a wonderful job, other than the manager who caused all kinds of difficult decisions which keep staff confused. She ran the staff as a slave driver. I would recommend others to work there but not under the staff manager I worked under. Loved the job.
My job is unique at Goodwill Houston E-commerce Division
Authenticator of Luxury Products (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 23, 2017
My job is very unique really one of a kind for Goodwill Houston. I enjoy my job but there is little room for advancement. I really need to make more money and use my education experience and skills in other areas.
horrible.
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 15, 2017
Horrible.I would never advise anyone to work for this company. The staff is unprofessional, and they drive the management team to sale sale sale. They don't care about there associates.
Fair work environment
Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 4, 2017
Goodwill Industries was a good place to work but there was no place for advancement. Unfortunately I was laid off due to poor management. High turn.
Pros
Great opportunity to help consumers with barriers
Cons
low salary
A typical day
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 29, 2017
A typical day would be once where I would conduct follow ups and thus schedule meetings with client's in order to obtain a status on their housing and employment. Next if needed I would travel to the client's home in order to conduct the home inspection and thus meet with the landlord of the proposed unit. Thus if there were meetings I would attend the scheduled in meeting in order to gain a broader perspective of the rules and or guidelines that may have changed throughout the week in order to meet the standards of the program.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Inconsistency
Fun
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 25, 2017
U meet a lot of people and help a lots of people
And assist with the elderly. Very family oriented
Job consist of customer service and moving merchandise to the floor . and retail merchandise
Pros
Goodwil Bucks
Cons
No pay raises
its ok
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 25, 2017
its okay for a high school student that's in school not many hours sometimes clothes can be nasty when they first come in rude guess coworkers try to be better than the next low low pay
Pros
lunch break an getting off and off days
Cons
not enough pay or hours
Lots of gossip and trouble
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 21, 2017
Unfair treatment gossip and tension The wages were low the male DMS were dating the young female workers, it was terrible.There were eight people fired from my location before I left. They were let go because of stupid reasons.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodwill Industries. Our community is ready to answer.

53.9K