Goodwill Industries Employee Reviews in Houston, TX

Found 157 reviews matching the search See all 13,683 reviews
Good Company
Donation Attendant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 8, 2018
Goodwill is a non profit that says above all else that it believes in the power of work. In practice it's a retail chain second hand store.

The pay is low and it's not enough to sustain yourself, however it is a good place to get into for an entry level position and pretty friendly to people with a record or a disability. It's not really a place to stay at for life but a very good place to put in some time and get some experience for your resume.

The Donation Attendant is essentially a stockroom/customer service job. You greet people at the door, help them unload their goods, and give them a receipt for their donations. When not doing that you are processing the donations for sale or shipment. It's a simple job.
Pros
Good company, great starting point, Friendly to people with a record or disability
Cons
Low pay, limited hours
Sometimes it's ok at best
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 2, 2018
This was my first job ever so I wasn't as mad about making 7.25 an hour, I thought "hey, maybe it's cuz of experience" but after a while I realized that for the kind of work environment they got going on as well as the kind of stress that the body goes through 8 hours of annoying/messy customers and managers with major favoritism issues, I realized that I didn't get paid enough to give it my all, the only reason I stayed a little longer is because I got promoted to cashier ($7.80/hr), not only that, everyone including myself got a raise, which meant I now got $8.50/hr. OK cool, but that didn't change the negative enviroment within the store, or the manager's attitude towards different people. What's more, there were cashiers working in other stores making $11-$12/hr. That's more than what some goodwill managers make.
Pay sucks, store items are overpriced, 8 hours of work there feel like an eternity.
Goodwill bucks are kinda cool though.
Pros
Goodwill bucks
Cons
Pay, overpriced items, stress on body/mind, negative environment
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 25, 2018
It was a great experience to become a manager at Goodwill. I enjoyed the employees they had great customer service skills. We always stride for success.
Employees love working with me
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 7, 2018
My dream job is working and a office. Since my old boss left the store has change for worst. I’m doing everything that my boss supposed to do and he the one that getting paid for it.
Productive and laidback
Donor Attentdent (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 3, 2018
Organize the center as best as you can, goodwill is an excellent place to shop because they get a variety of great donations..If you don't have anything to organize or package your duty is to wait for a donor to come.. Then you would assist them physically with their donation in exchange for a tax receipt which we provided, then you simply sort away their donations and wait for the next customer to come.
Fast paced difficult to train people
Lead Donation Attendant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 2, 2018
Pffggt.Supervisor wasnt what i expected, basically free for all employees do what they want to do, i even trained people to no avail total chaos and never listen goes agaiinst goodwill protocol.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
N/a
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 29, 2018
Nothing negative to say, This company is a great place to work. I learned new leadership skills and what not to do in a position of power, I also learned that employee morale is very important for production.
I wish they stood up for their employees but because they are just a temp agency it’s not much they said they can do
Customer Service Technician & Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 20, 2018
Goodwill is the temp. Service and they are extremely helpful to me.however because it is a temp. Agency they give me nothing and explained to me they are just a temp agency
Lack of knowledge of the Management role
Merchandise Associate (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 18, 2018
Poor management. Want you to work work work. Get 15 min break if you work 5 hours. 30 min if you work 6 or more. Head Manager has an unprofessional manner and attitude. The floor is a mess, we clean it up but the customers are not work with us but against us and speaking to mgt. leads to nothing. We have to clean bathrooms, mop floors, clean dressing rooms, floor staff is very limited, and still get our racks and carts out in a timely manner. But will grin at the end of shift and say thank you ....
Pros
When the shift is over
Cons
do not work here unless you enjoy being treated as a second class citizen
job security
Donation Attendant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 4, 2018
Goodwill is a good industry to work for as they do provide training in other areas if the opportunities are there to transfer to another facility in other areas.
Pros
Nice workplace
Cons
dealing with rude customers
stressful
Asst. Manger/ Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 4, 2018
Typical workday is very stressful working for this company. MIT, have absolutely no support from corporate or DM is like having no support at all, when the DM is sleeping with the Assistant Managers, who is spying on the Store Manager and causing issues within the store, and with the employees. The hardest part of the job was to stay sane and focused on meeting your daily budgets. There was no enjoyable part of this job. You had absolutely no quality of life while working for this company.
Pros
Cons
quality of life
Risky working for time limited grant programs
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 29, 2018
Good work environment however, most of the social services provided by Goodwill are granted programs and they have a time limit.

You can also make good contacts while doing outreach within the surrounding community.
what I have learned
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 23, 2018
I have learned how to interact with individual as well as utilize my public relations skills to provide customer service in my position responsibility as requested.
Pros
Relaxed environment
Cons
Na
Slow paced and relaxed. Boring
Floor Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 12, 2018
It’s an easy job in my opinion. Slow paced for the most part. Mostly organizing merch and cleaning the store. Hanging clothes, or organizing things on shelves, helping customers find things if they need too.
Pros
Laid back.
Cons
Slow and boring
Favoritism
Cashier/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 6, 2018
You had to be in a click. I was curse at by a employee and nothing was done about even when I reported to the hot line and Human Resources Dept. Supv. at I-10 E was very mean toward me and looked over me for weekends off for 3 mths.
Productive and fun workplace as long as work is being done
Donation Attendant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 31, 2018
Most days working at goodwill were enjoyable and everyday i would try and make work more easier and more enjoying even if the was a sad day or boring. And almost everyday i would show my co-workers some to make the job easier.
Pros
Lunch plus two 15min breaks
Cons
Not everyone wanted to work as much as i did
It’s a stressful environment
Donation Attendant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 24, 2018
It a good job for a student. Someone should doesn’t have much bills are responsibility . The company is good for people that need second chances because of their background
Pros
Open up all kind of people
Cons
Pay and benefits
Non enjoyable
Sorter/Loader (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 14, 2018
Lots of laziness productive wise. Things were left unfinished. No one really worked hard. Lots of messing around. No increase of pay or respect employees
Pros
There are none
Cons
Very wasreful with time
Sorter job boring
Sorter (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 8, 2018
Nice people to work with, job itself as a sorter was boring.
I had to leave without notice due to family emergency.
I started as putting clothes out on the floor and transferred to being a sorter
Pros
hours
Cons
boring
only as a last resort
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 5, 2018
This place should only be thought of if you have no other choices. They do take people with backgrounds. They are basically a second chance employer. They use that as a reason to pay very low. Advancement is not common and they refuse to give raises. There are employees who have been there for 10 plus years who make not even $9 an hour. They're pay is horrible.

Goodwill does some good in the community but as far as being a worker in the stores it is horrible. I could go on but all you have to do is go to Facebook and look up Greedwill. That's definitely who they are.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodwill Industries. Our community is ready to answer.

54.5K

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss