Goodwill Industries Employee Reviews in Indianapolis, IN

Low paying job.
Doorman (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN 46228November 16, 2017
The pay at this place was very low. It's a good place to go shop and i believe it's good for the community. The pay and advancement is just horrible. It was also hard to get hours.
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 31, 2017
Great place to work, However it was a messy job , due to the fact that they would allow people to drop off clothing and household items and they didn't wash or clean the items, which caused the store to have a bad case of bedbugs.
Pros
They gave back to the community and people with disabilities.
Cons
Getting bedbugs
Assembler/Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 4, 2017
Working for Goodwill I have gained many skills not only to help me advance in the company but to get me ready to move up ND on. I have enjoyed my time working with the Goodwill family. They are very understanding and patient with their employees.
Pros
PTO Holiday Pay
Cons
Short breaks
Stressful
Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 27, 2017
Goodwill is a good job depending on who you know. Working with others from different backgrounds disabilities, criminal.
Can be both rewarding and heartbreaking.
Benefits
Cons
Stressful
Adaptive work environment
Photographer/QC Specialist (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 24, 2017
This is a fine place to work if you have medical or other issues that limits your ability to come in to work or stay at work as scheduled as long as you are upfront with management they will work with you.
Pros
lots of flexability
Cons
warehouse setting
Low
Site Leader (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 20, 2017
Working at Goodwill was very stressful with little support. District Manager was not supportive, and he took side with the sales associates. He never had my back.
productive
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 15, 2017
It was productive but yet so stressful. it paid the bills and food in the kitchen. The management was always on one accord and that made the work flow go great.
Pros
breaks
Cons
Hard work and decent benefits
Janitorial Worker (Former Employee) –  Gw commercial services Indianapolis IndianaSeptember 14, 2017
GW Commercial services was the first step I took to living and earning a independent lifestyle. I earned my first apt complex car. It helps people out
Pros
Health benefits, vacation time and holidays
Cons
Income remains the same on a yearly basis
Disorganized and stressful work environment at this Goodwill location
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 18, 2017
The lack of communication within management sets a weak foundation for the entire store location. Most store policies are lost between the ways the team leaders all run the store differently when they're present at work. The organization of the back room and sales floor suffers because of this. It's difficult to keep employees at this location, so the remaining employees are expected to take on more tasks than physically possible when they already have their own assigned job (this also, however, depends on the employees and the managers involved - there are instances of favoritism and accommodation that will leave some employees overworked while others are bored). It's an endless cycle of employees leaving because of the unpleasant work environment that is a result of being short-staffed.
Pros
Flexible schedule if management likes you
Cons
Tasks are poorly distributed, the store is always a mess
Achieved Greenbelt Certification
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 29, 2017
• Achieved Greenbelt Certification: Created a savings of $29,000 for the company at our location.
• Shipping Manager: Lead a 10-person crew with weekly shipping logistics and customer service responsibilities, shipping 400 packages daily, increasing production 150%, maintaining 99% quality rate, internally and externally.
Cashier
Cashier and Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 26, 2017
I enjoyed my job at the Goodwill store in Carmel, IN. I worked with a lot of great people and we always kept busy. Our mangement team was great to give us schedules that worked around school schedules
Awesome
Cashier/rack runn (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 23, 2017
On a typical day I clock and my manager would send me to a part of the store that needs to cleaned and everything gets put back in its correct space.We would also count me out a draw
very stressful
Textile Producer/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 17, 2017
the goodwill i worked at was a stressful and not enjoyable to work for at all, The environment was hostile and very negative. As far as the company in general i would not refer anyone to work there.
Pros
full time employment
Cons
Stressful environment
not much to really say
Wares Producer (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 11, 2017
I didnt enjoy working at goodwill. it was like going into highschool all over again when i was there. the management wasnt the best and they were never on the same page with one another.
Pros
breaks
Cons
terrible management, too much dram
Challenging work environment
Life Skills Coach (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 14, 2017
A great organization, need more leader and less managers. Many young, vivacious, intelligent staff that make the people they serve better. Can be political
Horrible place to work
Drive Thru Attendant / Pricing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 10, 2017
Worst job I ever worked. They made me do more work than a single person could ever handle. Managers were rude. The pay isn't even enough to justify the amount of work. I made 7.25 / hour and almost got hurt twice due to shoddy equipment even though I only worked there for a month. And they make you work with felons (community service volunteers).
Working atmosphere for Goodwill in Indiana
Shop Goodwill and Books Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 6, 2017
I enjoyed working for Goodwill. I was able to use my skill base that I have built up over the years. But with every job there were good days and bad days.

When my shift started I would have to clean up what was left over from the previous shift. Then I could start my work. My shifts consisted of making sure there was enough product on the shelves, straightening what was on the shelves, and making items easy to find. A customer could ask me if I had a specific book or film and I could say yes we have it and put it in their hand.

The other part of my job was to keep the glass display case filled with product and to find items for the Goodwill online auctions. I had a daily quota of pieces that I had to submit for the auctions. The quota was met most days. But with a charity shop what I found was all dependent upon donations.

Given the opportunity, I hope to work for another Goodwill Organization.
Pros
Benefits, Paid Time Off, Discounts.
Great company!
Retail Operations Auditor (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 8, 2017
I found Goodwill to be a very good employer. They continually practiced their mission in a positive and effective manner. Contributions were appreciated. Ideas were allowed to develop and employees were encouraged to grow.
Company That Supports Bettering One's Self
Clerical Support (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 7, 2017
This company supports employees to better themselves by assisting in finding work outside of the company or a promotion within the company. This company has also paid for their employees to take classes in order to make this happen.
Pros
Almost always get requested time off as requested
Cons
Short breaks
The worse ever
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 5, 2017
Favortism and judgemental the manager pick and chooses her favorite pill poppin buddies since im drug free i didnt fit in but feel free to have them high off of pills no way could i do that
Pros
Leaving to go home
Cons
No breake

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodwill Industries. Our community is ready to answer.