Goodwill Industries Employee Reviews for Cashier

Fun place to work. Employees are mostly characters.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLAugust 16, 2018
I was a cashier. We were the third busiest Goodwill in America so we worked hard to get those customers rung up and out. The managers were the worst I've ever had. They do near nothing and especially when we were slammed and needed them to jump on a register they both were hesitant to or diliberately got lost somewhere.
Pros
Working with characters. Humorous recovered addicts and criminals.
Cons
Must work 40 hours a week unless you have some autistic like disability. No part time.
Fun place to work
Cashier,Hanger,and Tagger (Former Employee) –  Summerville, SCAugust 15, 2018
It was close to home
I worked with decent people
The pay was decent and it helped pay my bills and take care of three kids
I sometimes had to walk to work but I had to do what I had to do for my kids
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
No raises
Relaxed environment, rewarding work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Midwest City, OKAugust 14, 2018
I enjoyed my time working at Goodwill as a cashier. Talking with customers and getting to know the ones who visited us often was my favorite part of the day. I knew many of our customers by name and still talk to a few of them even after leaving the company. Ours was a smaller store, so we often only had one manager and one cashier to close the store at night. It could sometimes be stressful but not any worse than any other retail job.
Pros
Relaxed management
Un ambien bueno
Cashier (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXAugust 14, 2018
Es una empresa donde tienen sus bajas y sus altas. No todos los empleados se llevan bien pero se respetan. Se lleva a cabo las metas.
Pros
Que a prendes un poco mas al servicio al cliente
Cons
Que no suben el sueldo
Productive and Positive Environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXAugust 14, 2018
I like workimg st Goodwill because you get to know your daily customers, you get to know your teammates and you grow as a family. Also, the managers will understand if you cannot make it to work and also will work woth your sche
Pros
1 hours lunch.
Cons
No Overtime
cashier
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Kerrville, TXAugust 12, 2018
normal cashier duties and stocked shelves, clothing racks abd cleaned the store areas as required abs at store closing.

Management was small bur responsive to needs
Loved my customer base
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rockford, MIAugust 11, 2018
I loved my job at the Goodwill but after working there for 3 years, I had never received a raise and my benefits were slowly cut. I probably made more money beginning my career there till when I ended it. I had to quit for there was no progression.
Pros
Discount, Pto
Cons
no insurance, no raises
It was ok
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAAugust 10, 2018
There is team work, we clean and help with customers. Most management is friendly. They only post the schedule a week out which really sucks, my schedule changes all the time so I can't make any plans.
Drive Thru Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Lansing, ILAugust 8, 2018
Very busy well known environment. Very productive. Meet new people that you can interact with among different levels. Love the color workers that I work with.
No good
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Loudonville, OHAugust 7, 2018
Do not work here these are not good people the pay is awful you will get in trouble for things you did not even do wrong you do not get any benefits and no raises
Product and sometimes fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  RivergateAugust 7, 2018
Working at goodwill was fun and I like the people I work with but the pay sucks and goodwill have a point system . They only give you 12 points that suppose to last you the whole year.
Pros
Free lunch on first Saturday
Cons
Getting paid 7.91 hr
A fun job with great people but in no way a wise career choice.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Parker, COAugust 4, 2018
This job is perfect for young kids alot of fun and you make great friends, However it seriously lacks as most retail jobs do in wages. This is NOT a livable wage. However if your looking for some extra cash and a fun job this is your answer.
Pros
Fun job
Cons
Pay, Pay and Pay
It was nice
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARAugust 4, 2018
Greet customers, Help them find merchandise, Checking them out, Put new merchandise out on floor each day, Picked up clothes off floor, Fix shoe racks so it would look neat, Clean work area, Get donations from customer, Place the donations in certain areas, Clean bathrooms, Sweep store, Clean dressing rooms
Fun to communicate with others and help others.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 3, 2018
It was fun team work help our other co workers to get they lined down we use to have parties in the break room like pizza parties and a monthly meeting with good news.
it was fine
cashier (Former Employee) –  Laconia, NHAugust 2, 2018
I didn't mind working here, but they are very corporate despite how they try to portray themselves and there is really no way to get a good paycheck here or a raise. However, the day to day staff is always really good and it can be a fun place to work.
Pros
nice customers
Great people but overwelming
Drive Thru Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INAugust 2, 2018
-Not enough staff
-Will feel overworked
-Part time needs to be optional which might be the main reason for many people not liking this job.
-Great co-workers for the amount they have.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Stress on your body
I did not enoy it one bit
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oberlin, OHJuly 30, 2018
A typical day at work was very long, boring, mean customers
I have learned from this job to keep to myself
The management played favorites, were doing sketchy book work, talked down to the employees and gossiped about everyone.
The workplace is very dull and drowns your energy as soon as you walk in the door.
The hardest part of the job was working with grumpy irritable people.
The most enjoyable part of the job was clocking out and leaving.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
everything about the job
Great starter job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAJuly 29, 2018
Working here requires/ involves:
Multi tasking, customer service,physically demanding and being able to cope with a schedule involving having to work 2 or more different shifts per week and often days off that are not back to back, but are spaced days apart.
It is a great place to work if you have not had a job, or have been out of the workforce for some time, or are new to the country. They will provide training for you. But unless moving up in management here is your goal, I do not recommend staying here for longer than a year or so. It is really a great way to get your foot in the door if you have little or no experience working or working in retail.
Pros
paid sick/vacation time
Cons
shift scheduling
I'm pretty sure the CEO is crooked but it helped me out
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Blue Springs, MOJuly 28, 2018
I'm pretty sure the CEO is crooked but it helped me out of a pretty bad place at the time. I had no job, and no aspirations, and really nowhere else to be. Goodwill provided that when I was low and I have been thankful for that. I am quite bothered by how much money seems to flow into the pockets of the higher ups of the company. Or if it does not go to them than it is certainly not apparent where else it is going.
I Loved Working for Goodwill
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJuly 26, 2018
I Loved Working for Goodwill. I got to meet people of all back grounds, from all over the World. I got to see the good, ugly, & bad in people. But at the end of the day I seen More Kindness than Evil.
Pros
Nice People
Cons
When somebody show you their evil side Belive.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodwill Industries. Our community is ready to answer.

54.5K
43.6K
33.1K
21.2K
11.2K

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

60out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Goodwill Industries.