Goodwill Industries Pay & Benefits reviews

Found 3,223 reviews matching the search See all 14,812 reviews
Not a very fun place to work
Donations Attendant (Former Employee) –  Cherry CreekJanuary 19, 2019
Coworkers are lazy. Management sucks. The company makes over $10 million a year but won't give raises to employees working in dangerous conditions. Bad
It’s good for temporary job not a career
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 18, 2019
I was excited first working at thrift store. Then the more I started working there the stressful environment it is. Training was not good just threw up on the register thinking I need know everything in two hours. Didn’t know prices on most things. Doing the same thing everyday. Not enough hours. My coworker we’re stuck up and not fun to be around. Management is horrible the manager were never there. Never there to help me. Always got blamed for little things. It’s not safe environment. So it’s up to you if you want to work here.
Pros
Long breaks flexible schedule
Cons
No benefits for part time. Can’t buy anything from the store. Poor management
Quiet place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Springfield, TNJanuary 16, 2019
Great place to work at if you're in high school or school period trying to make extra money. They offer 20% off for employees every time they buy something.
Good college job
Customer Service Representative FT (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 16, 2019
A good job to maintain during college, flexible hours, good benefits. bad pay but the job was not intended to be very long term. good PTO and 20 percent discount.
Goodwill doesn't care about it's employees
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  TexasJanuary 16, 2019
The job does NOT pay a livable wage or care about employees. There's no point in working for this company unless you literally can't find a job anywhere else.
Pros
My manager is a decent human being, flexible hours
Cons
Bad pay/benefits, unhealthy environment, business doesnt care about employees, wasteful, can't shop at the store you work at
Goodwill
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 16, 2019
Good job not enough money i work there for montys never got a pay raise i just want to work for a place i enjoy and get paid nice im great worker and my job is everything
Hard at times
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJanuary 15, 2019
Had to work what ever Hours I could get. The managers where good to me but I could not keep the Job due to not having a lot of hours. I had to compete at times with some of my coworkers in Oder to keep my hours.
Non profit but all about $$
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Griffith, IndianaJanuary 15, 2019
The job itself is mind numbingly easy. It's the top management who you only see maybe 1or 2xs a week thats the issue. When you do see them its all if only negative feedback. Very high turnover because of lack of respect and training from management and very low wages. You wouldn't even be able to afford a complete outfit from Goodwill at the hourly rate they pay you. Also forcing your employees to "round up" for their "mission" and disciplining them because they can't get to a certain percentage a shift is upsetting ESPECIALLY coming from a facility who sells very used items at a high price that they get for free. Customers see it and the employee personally has to indure the vocal upset about your non profit greed. This may be a job best for high schooler or retirees.
Pros
Decent discount cant use on sale days
Cons
POOR MANAGEMENT!! Double standard rules for some employees, Makes you take your short breaks/lunches very early into your shift, cant buy items while working, very poor scheduling, No room for growth or raises or bonuses
Ok place to work for
Material handler/Computer Technician (Current Employee) –  E-Recycle department at Richmond, VAJanuary 13, 2019
I like my job but I wish they can get me promotions. It seems like I'm not moving up at all, and I been in the same position since 7 years and they don't pay the right salary for the skills I have.
Not bad, but not great...
Books Processor (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZJanuary 13, 2019
I worked for two stores before moving onto a job with higher compensation. My work week was regular. I'll be honest, this is a non-profit company with a for-profit attitude. You have daily quotas that you have to make, and if you don't make them, you get the axe. I saw too many managers move through, which doesn't help with a feeling of having job security. Yes, there was room for advancement, but I was kind of glad that I was not in management because they constantly are moved around and turned over from being fired for not meeting store quotas. Overall it wasn't the worst job I had, but I got too stressed out from the quota demands, and moved to cashier. I explained to my boss that it felt like corporate was holding a hostage, and if I didn't make my quota demands they would take out my hostage. When I got into a routine of my price-points and item count, corporate changed our formula, and I was then producing less than half of what I originally was (Originally 800-1000 items/day). Things were better for me stress-wise when I went to cashier, but there's a quota that you have to meet on accepting donations. Speaking of, if you take a tip, it has to be donated to corporate, or it's considered theft. A couple wanted to tip me $50 at Christmas, and I had to turn it down, even though I really needed the money. People would complain about our prices, but we had a certain price quota in addition to the item quota needs. Unfortunately we don't get to go into people's homes and hand-pick items, so this can hurt you when you keep getting items that are "maybe" worth a  more... dollar, as opposed to items worth $50. I eventually went to use the career center (which was a joke), and had a member of upper management call me because I noted I was looking for employment. When he asked what I currently did I straight up told him I worked as a cashier for their company and was looking for other work because I couldn't make enough to support myself and my child. I didn't get another call-back, but didn't lose my job either. It's a job that I wouldn't recommend staying in long-term, but the hours were solid, and the pay was solid. You don't make enough to support yourself, and you have to rely on government assistance to supplement healthcare and nutrition. You don't get two days off, but I got every Wednesday and alternating Sunday/Mondays off, so it was consistent.  less
Pros
consistency in hours
Cons
quota quota quota
Poor Pay/Management
2nd Key (Former Employee) –  Troy, ALJanuary 12, 2019
Very poor compensation for work, structure in the company, and management. Store manager was not held accountable whatsoever for the well-being of the store or the morale of the employees.
Good job
Processor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 12, 2019
Goodwill is good company to work there because give the people job for all the people of San Diego. They job for development people to show the can work and be independent the people they can do it them selfs in the house and outside too.
Pros
Good luch to them other
Cons
They pay the parties the manager
good overall work place
Pricing Trainer/ Team Lead/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mundelein, IL 60060January 11, 2019
I have enjoyed my years with goodwill and the many jobs i have held within this store/ warehouse. The general work space is pleasant and fast paced. My co-workers are easy to get along with and most of the management staff are willing to help in any way they can to help you succeed.
Pros
good people, rewarded "pizza parties", Pto
Cons
work loads don't match pay compensation
Fun, good pace, frendly colleges
Donation Attendant (Former Employee) –  Fenton, MIJanuary 11, 2019
Easy pace to work at. Good managers that always present whenever you need anything. Hours were very flexible. I also went to school with no problems while employed at Goodwill.
Pros
Great Colleges
Cons
More hours
Quick-paced and nice part-time job
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 10, 2019
Goodwill is a great part-time job for people of any age. The hours are flexible and based upon your availability. Starting pay is above minimum wage but raises are annual and low.
Pros
Paid breaks, flexible
Cons
Lack of raises and advancement
Fast paced
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 10, 2019
I had an interesting time here. I received several awards while being a manager here for various reasons. It was a great feeling to be a part of helping out community. I really enjoyed my first two managers however once they moved on the new manage was awful. Overall this is a great company to work for.
Pros
close to home, benefits
Cons
pay, managemnt
Helping people though employment.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Denham Springs, LAJanuary 10, 2019
I love working at Goodwill. We have a wonderful management team, the hours are good and steady. The benefits are great. The only problem I have is the pay and it has become a dead end job for me because I have not opportunity to move up.
Pros
The joy of helping people, the management at my store, the benefits
Cons
The pay and advancement opportunities
Stressful and Below Market Wage
Driver/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  KentuckyJanuary 10, 2019
Worked for this company in the same position (zero advancement opportunity as its the only position in its tier) for many years. Supervisor(s) continually increased the hours and days required and demanded overtime at short notice whenever it was asked regardless of availability. Supervisor routinely planned routes and deliveries with time frames the could not be met (e.g. demanding a delivery be made 2 hours away in the next 1.5 hours), or adding half a day of work in the last hour of the work day. Had little regard for safety of drivers: drove on icy roads, deep snow, through two tornado warnings, high wind, etc. Very run down, and often unsafe vehicles and equipment that broke down frequently leaving you stranded for 3-8 hours at a time while waiting for the contracted towing company to be available. Store Management was always under high stress from Upper Management and was usually hateful and rude to deal with, especially when they were promised deliveries and times that couldn't be realistically met making it YOUR problem to deal with them. Wage is well below what other employers pay in the area for the same job. Discussion of wages or raises with other employees is strictly prohibited and grounds for firing. Attendance portion of the new pay raise system based on how closely you clock in and out to your scheduled shift time - overtime results in having your pay raise docked to 1% maximum yearly due to not matching your clock out time. Accidental OT when not pre-approved is grounds for firing - especially stressful when under unrealistic delivery times near end of the  more... week. Pay raise system for retail management also unfair as its based on numbers like "number of donations received" or "number of customers" that are out of the control of the employee. Workplace is very cliquey - you'll know if you aren't part of the 'in-crowd' because you won't be there very long. Company tends to treat its employees like they are desperate for work and will work under any conditions asked. The company puts its main emphasis on company growth/expansion and sales and profit increases with lofty sales goals with harsh repercussions for failing to meet goals on the retail side which makes a very stressful environment for all involved.

The actual work itself was enjoyable if you are in great physical shape. Be aware that the minimum lift requirement is much higher than the 50 lbs stated, you will regularly lift 75+ lbs unassisted and pull and push far beyond that to load heavy stacks up ramps and inclined truck docks. You will also be exposed to whatever chemical, biological, natural (spiders, snakes, other wildlife) etc hazard that can come in with raw donations. You will likely have to supply your own safety equipment - work gloves (last about 2-3 months a pair), hard hat recommended for metal yards, boots, safety glasses, etc. The warehouses are not usually air conditioned or heated so dress ready for whatever temperature it is outside. I actually enjoyed the type of work - just not the way management treated everyone (including the treatment of management by upper management) and the resulting work environment.
Pros
Steady work, gain experience with various equipment
Cons
Poor Management, Stressful, Low Pay, Toxic Workplace
tiareing
Costumer Service (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 9, 2019
I like goodwill because I get payed a good amount of money and it is a good experience so when I go to a new job I can take that job experience with me
Ideal for the working class joe.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Newark, OHJanuary 9, 2019
Pay is outstanding. Benefits package and all that are included. Work is easy, routine based and supervision is minimal. You pretty much work on your own after you figure out your own system from training, which by the way is only but a few days. So unless you have some ample cleaning experience already or a fast learner I wouldn't suggest it. On average I was pulling in net pay of $440.00 a week, which is great. They do however pay bi-weekly. Hours and shifts are consistent. You also interact with students that are just as messy and lazy with leaving their trash everywhere as a 5 year old. But I made a few friends during my time there. Now on to the bad parts and the main reason I left. Management. The chose their favorites and treat you in kind relative to that regardless how much of a hard worker you are. Co'workers are likewise just as rude and disrespectful, mostly the older self entitled woman who treat you like you're a complete idiot, even after you know what you're doing. Me personally I couldn't deal with it, regardless the pay and stability of the job itself. Management didn't do squat about it. Otherwise if you're the type that can then more power to you.
Pros
Pay. Benefits. Discounts. Consistency.
Cons
Short breaks. Drama. Management. Hostile work environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodwill Industries. Our community is ready to answer.

54.7K
43.9K
33.4K
21.3K
11.4K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Goodwill Industries.

Powered by Comparably