Goodwill Industries Employee Reviews

Found 14,230 reviews matching the search See all 14,540 reviews
Relaxed but underpaid with nom benefits
Boutique Merchandiser/ Retail Store Clerk (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 5, 2018
I like working for them it is fun and kick back. However they should be more generous to all there employees because no matter what at the end of the day for every company the employees are what makes the company go round and round. I feel when an employer shows they care and are generous to there employees they will receive very loyal, long term employees that are dependable and trustworthy. And jobs are done proper because of there long term experience and knowledge with the company. Which in return creates happy life long and loyal customers that will bring the company more and more customers everyday.
Pros
Its a paycheck, experience
Cons
work for peanuts, have to work 2 to 4 jobs to survive
Tedious, slow-paced work
Sales Associate and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Wadsworth, OHOctober 23, 2018
I stayed at Goodwill for so long because it was a good part-time job while I was still in high school. I had a great relationship with all of my co-workers and managers. They always gave me hours when I came home for college breaks. It was a very positive environment, and that was probably my favorite aspect of the job. However, I found the work itself to be very monotonous and slow, and I often spent every shift wishing my time away. While I did learn valuable customer service and people skills, I left because I saw no upward mobility in the company.
People move around a lot and turnover is high
Career Advancement Trainer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 22, 2018
First off, the health insurance and PTO policy are awful. Know that going in or you will be disappointed. People tend to change jobs or leave every couple of months, so new opportunities are always opening up. Overall people here are nice, but very few are around long enough to know their jobs well so there is a lot of confusion about who is supposed to be doing what. A lot of young management, which is good in some ways and lacking in others.
review of the workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OHNovember 28, 2018
typical work day depended on the customers some days it was very relaxed other days it was super busy .
i learned honestly nothing that i didn't already know when i started
management was one of the nicest people i ever met
culture of the work place was always just a fun relaxed place
hardest part of my job was being on register at night because it got super slow int he store
Pros
wonderful people to work with
Cons
pay
The staff did their jobs. The workers were wonderful in their way.
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Palestine, TXOctober 24, 2018
On a typical day at work, there was lots of yelling and screaming, but when needed I closed my office door to compensate. Working at Goodwill Industries, I was exposed to a group of people I never dreamed I would be dealing with - the severely mentally disabled. I learned a lot about loving one another and what that meant to folks who have so very little of it. Except for my immediate supervisor, management was desultory, mostly thinking of themselves. The hardest part of the job was the realization that few give much to enhance the lives of others who have virtually nothing. The most enjoyable part of the job were the hugs and expressions of love I received from the disabled group.
Super stressful environment
Production Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAOctober 21, 2018
Everything they get was given free. They don't care if there is no room for more stuff they want u to price between 2 people 2400 items per day for some sections of the store. Also constantly being told to price things higher even if it was free to begin with like sometimes just a dollar or 2 less than if you bought it new. They don't provide not near the help they claim. I would not recommend trying to work for this company
Do not recommend
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INOctober 23, 2018
Goodwill's in general are good... And I believe in what they stand for.
Goodwill of NEI, is the worst company to work for. They do not appreciate the employees, and the favoritism runs high.... Store managers are just high paid cashier's, and if upper management does not care for you, just get another job, they will find a way to get rid of you.
If you are liked, you can break policy at will.... If you are not....
Pros
Discount, hours
Cons
Favoritism, no consistency in policy
Worst maintenance supervisor ever in Denver
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Denver ColoradoOctober 24, 2018
Working for Goodwill in Denver for 5 years enjoyed my job. Making stores safe and enjoyable for Shoppers and employees. Unfortunately I work for the worst maintenance supervisor in my entire career.don't get me wrong but Goodwill has a lot of good programs that does a lot of good for people out there in need.
Pros
Received store discount, they have some great programs
Cons
Worst maintenance supervisor
Just an all around decent experience!
Prep Cook/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 18, 2018
As a cook it allowed me to show my experiences from cooking classes as well as my own skills from just me being me. Overall it was a great opportunity and something I was glad to have taken part in. Good people(staff&managers), and a good work environment! i hope to have some of those same opportunities in the near future especially with the skill set that I have.
Pros
Free lunches, Nice break period, accessibility
Cons
Taking on multiple task at a time, sometimes getting frustrated
Never a dull moment. Busiest on saturdays in the donation area
Clerical work/ donation areas (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVNovember 18, 2018
I really liked working there, but at the time my personal life and dealing with my disability was getting in the way and I quit because of it. The people were nice and the management treated me fairly. I liked the hands on part of the job and the discounts I got. Overall it’s a great place to work and I was blessed to work there.
Pros
Usually you get a job fairly quick
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Alamo, TXOctober 24, 2018
Managers, crew leaders, and coworkers eventually become like family. We all cared for each other and had a positive experience everyday for the most part. Everyone genuinely cares about each other and equally help each other out. It might be a lot of work for the pay but the work experience makes up for it. Hands down, best job ever.
Pros
friendly environment, encouraging coworkers, fun workplace, good breaks
Cons
lots of work
productive and
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 17, 2018
This place offers career advancement and equal oportunities for all individuals, offers discounts for employees and flexible schedules, breaks and luch time. Management is considerate and professional. The reason I left his job was the payment, salary is minimum for the sales associate position but I appreciate I had worked for Goodwill Industries.
Pros
opportunities to growth, flexible hours
Cons
as a part-time I had very little benefits
Unprofessional& unorganized work place
Clothes Sorter (Former Employee) –  Gary, INNovember 19, 2018
Not a good work environment at all very unprofessional , poor management, no sick pay , break room area to small, lack of communication from management, some racism, work area to small, very unorganized, lack of help in some areas, staff is very low, rules change when they get ready with no notice.not a recommended job for anyone that have other options
Pros
Paid evey week
Cons
Short breaks poor mangement
Very relaxed atmosphere with good customer service and a great place to shop for deals .
Dock Worker/manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 29, 2018
Goodwill for me was a very good learning experience and place for me to develop great work ethic. I’ve been working for this company for over 2 years and I’ve been promoted to manager position my first year of working here. I love the goodwill to be honest 😊
Pros
Good opportunity to earn raises or bump up to manger position. Flexible hours
Cons
Short breaks
the job was fun exciting well experienced the training classes were unbelievably exciting helpful I met great people that helped me with anything I ne
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 12, 2018
Goodwill Industries is the best place to work great training great people everything is unbelievably from training to on the spot the managers help with anything you need to get breaks paid time off vacations assemblies it's just a really great place to work you look forward to going to work everyday seems Smiles on your faces the people coming to work are great helpful understanding outgoing.
Pros
you can move up fast and have a grate Christmas party.
Cons
they don't give you maternity leave I know from experience and then they don't retire you afterward.
Overly stressful
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZNovember 12, 2018
Never have enough employees on hand had to do 2-3 sections by yourself within 30 mins as in organize taking all the "hidden sale " where people stuff clothes or things they want into hidden areas between racks, bathroom cleaning, cashiers are rushed through training, cut hours to 3 or 4 a day so they don't have to pay your lunch time or get another break, management wouldn't help at all they would gather into groups and gossip, make jokes or hide in the office just on their phones while watching us work our butts off. just working those few hours made me want to pull out my hair and quit.. I hated this job but it was a job just be prepared to be stressed and over worked for little pay
Pros
Cons
Bad management, short hours, understaffed, overworked.
management was horrible
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Gaston County, NCOctober 11, 2018
i was there for a year and there was an insane amount of drama sexual harassing and other issues. after my year mark the manager gave ma a raise he was a new manager who had just started and only gave me a 20 cent raise because he said he didn't know me very well to know if i was a good worker. you didn't get Christmas eve off if the weather was bad and it was dangerous to come to work they didnt care, if you had a family emergency they didnt care.
Pros
christmas off
Cons
short breaks, bad management, horrible, raises
It was a great place to work if you have a disability. They understood that.
Retail Asscoiate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 9, 2018
I would hang clothes out on the racks to be sold, when customers needed in the changing room I would unlock the door for them, sweep the floors, clean bathrooms, and stocked merchandise out on shelves. The hardest part for me was staying up to par with the demands of someone needing in the dressing rooms, to me unlocking the show case to everything else that needed to get done. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting different people and making friendships with a couple of them.
Pros
Like I said, if you have a disability, great place for you to work.
Cons
Doing everything at one time. You are only one person.
Typical and stressful retail job, but the employees made it worthwhile
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Batavia, ILOctober 15, 2018
* The store would be a mess within 30 min of opening it, but it would be out of our control since we can only clean up the store so much during our shift when we have a gazillion other things going through our mind while we work.

* Good management for the most part, and the employees were cool and laid back people.

* The best part about the job was honestly the employees, who helped make the job worthwhile most days and bearable during the bad days.

* Since there were a good amount of employees, you can take the time off for a vacation let's say for a week, and most of the time get the time off since the store had enough people to cover.
Pros
Great and caring staff, pretty understanding about wanting time off
Cons
Wage
And A place that actually trumps Wal-Mart, huuum goodwill!
Processor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 7, 2018
Retail can be bad, but this place is just a step below the landfills and recycling centers. People literally come there to dump the trash they no longer want from there storage. Con 1.
On the management level most of them are weirdos, who want to feel as if they are more powerful than they are. Basically I have nothing positive to say about this place other than they provide persons with disabilities jobs.
Pros
A paycheck
Cons
The whole place

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodwill Industries. Our community is ready to answer.

54.7K

3.0InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight