Goodwill Industries Employee Reviews

11.2K
Found 13,396 reviews matching the search See all 13,683 reviews
It was ok
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAAugust 10, 2018
There is team work, we clean and help with customers. Most management is friendly. They only post the schedule a week out which really sucks, my schedule changes all the time so I can't make any plans.
Hard place to work
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Delavan, WIAugust 10, 2018
When I first started working at Goodwill I enjoyed it because I was supported by everyone there. But after around a year, I lost almost all of my hours and I was left to fend for myself while working. The other associates were immature and did not care about the job, There was such a lack of effort, I can even see it in management. For such a small store, 7 managers makes it extremely difficult to get anything done due to difference of opinions.
Pros
fixed schedule
Cons
Poor management, immature associates, low hours, lack of effort by associates
A typical day of work
Goodwill Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bentonville, ARAugust 10, 2018
Take clothes from warehouse and put in the racks.
Keeping clothes straightening ordered, take dressing clothes removed and put them away.
Sweep floors.
overall knowing you are helping others
3rd Key Holder (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 10, 2018
bad management, corporate office doesn't follow through with promises, long hours ( double shifts- open to close) hardly time for lunch, some employees have bad attitudes, some managers don't leave the office at all to help on sales floor or stay on personal phone all day, warehouse doesn't send supplies in timely manner, have to keep emailing corporate for months so repairs to be done in stores
Pros
helping the less fortunate
Cons
bad management, long hours, corporate breaking promises
Overall nice place to work if looking for something that not as stressful as other jobs.
Baler / Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCAugust 10, 2018
Goodwill Industries is a fair place to work at. Employees are pleasant and well trained. I get treated like family by everyone regardless of job title. I have recommended 2 friends to work here and they both were given jobs based on my work ethic and referral.
Work Environment
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAAugust 10, 2018
The environment for helping people with barriers to employment gives you the opportunity to assist those individuals to get back into the workforce and live independently.
Pros
Promote from within
Cons
No stability
Customer service
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAAugust 10, 2018
I learned enough retail that dealing with customers is ok. One has to learn how to approach the situation if escalated. Once you pass that, life isn't too hard.
Temporary job with minimal tasks, nice work environment.
Sorter/Packer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 9, 2018
This job taught me to maintain a clean work environment and work together with others to perfect and instill a productive business. Very friendly work environment.
Excellent
Processor (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAAugust 9, 2018
Goodwill is a excellent place to work. I would recommend anyone to work here. They offer good benefits. The employees are amazing as well.they offer discounts for all employees the benefits are amazing.
Terrible Upper Management
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYAugust 9, 2018
They switch RMs every other yr.Each RM will transfer PPL from their previous stores,which = no job security. An Asst Mgr of 17yrs fired for NO reason!
Pros
The people you meet; workers and customers.
Cons
RMs will lie straight to your face, you can lose your job at any moment w/o ANY documentation/s and/or warning/s, you will be over-worked & underpaid, the uppers don't like the Store Team to be close, especially the Management Team.
Productive and enjoyable
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Pearl, MSAugust 9, 2018
I totally enjoyed working there. I would love to work again if possible. Also I hope to find other friends there, too. And also get paid, too. And I’m a hard worker and am on time.
Pros
Get good stuff from there.
Cons
30 minute breaks
Fast pace job
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Tallmadge, OHAugust 9, 2018
Goodwill mission is helping people prepare, find and retain employment. I have advanced a lot in the company over the past 3 years. I am currently in a manager position.
Benefits
Nothing to say
Laundry Associate (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WI 53225August 9, 2018
reports directly to the store manager and indirectly to the assistant store managers and shift leaders. This position is responsible for duties such as, but not limited to, cashiering, stocking, cleaning and monitoring perishables.
Ethics are nonexistant amoung upper management.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 9, 2018
Upper management do not care about staff or their needs. Staff paid minimally and are required to be totally flexible with their schedule, yet without any consideration for the employees needs.
Drive Thru Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Lansing, ILAugust 8, 2018
Very busy well known environment. Very productive. Meet new people that you can interact with among different levels. Love the color workers that I work with.
Decent hours and good management
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VAAugust 8, 2018
Fair conditions, open door management, sufficient breaks and lunch time, teamwork, management help as well when very busy, fast paced and busy, cross training, could work in several areas, rotated responsibilities
Pros
good shifts, able to trade hours with co-workers
Cons
not clean, roof leaked onto clothing, bad ventilation system
Friendly place to work.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Parker, COAugust 8, 2018
I got a first hand look at how the Goodwill really tries to help those in need of quality items, but at a lower price. They do a very good job by working hard and helping customers out.
Fun place
Assembly Worker (Former Employee) –  Wooster, OHAugust 8, 2018
It’s greaT place to work but hard hot work. Can’t be afraid to get dirty or sweaty. As long as you show up and do your job you gat nothing to worry about!
Good Company
Donation Attendant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 8, 2018
Goodwill is a non profit that says above all else that it believes in the power of work. In practice it's a retail chain second hand store.

The pay is low and it's not enough to sustain yourself, however it is a good place to get into for an entry level position and pretty friendly to people with a record or a disability. It's not really a place to stay at for life but a very good place to put in some time and get some experience for your resume.

The Donation Attendant is essentially a stockroom/customer service job. You greet people at the door, help them unload their goods, and give them a receipt for their donations. When not doing that you are processing the donations for sale or shipment. It's a simple job.
Pros
Good company, great starting point, Friendly to people with a record or disability
Cons
Low pay, limited hours
Good company but I feel more training is needed for managers dealing with so many personalities, employees ans customers.
Processor (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNAugust 8, 2018
This company has outreach programs which help Chattanooga and surrounding areas. They target need and are very beneficial. I believe hourly pay should be more to more afford the various insurances offered as well as trying to live off the money bi-weekky. There are good people and those who make it difficult to get along with them. Overall, the company is good.
Pros
Great outreach programs
Cons
More compensation for employees needed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodwill Industries. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight