Goodwill of Greater Washington Employee Reviews

unforgiving and stress
Donation Attendant (Former Employee) –  Centreville, VAMay 16, 2019
I did not get along with 2 of the mangers and that was a first for me. They expect you to not make a couple of mistakes and just make it a lot more stressful than it really needs to be. I personally tried to stick it out but was basically pushed to quit.
Pros
Paid 30 min lunch
Productive workplace, hardworking employees
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VAMay 14, 2019
typical day: Go in, recover the floor, get a register, engage with customers, keep the floor clean, work on fitting room, breaks when we can.

I learned that being friendly will get you a long way.
Management is not very consistent, but they're good.

The hardest part of the job is the lack of help, because the job is a lot different from other retail stores.

Most enjoyable is the people we work with and the regular customers who come in. They make the day fun!
Pros
50% discount when shopping at other goodwil stores
Cons
Goodwill does not allow for a lot of free time.
great place
Cashier/Donation Attendant (Former Employee) –  Yakima, WAMay 13, 2019
great place to work at the employees there and great always had a smile on their face and would never shy away from a customer and would always make sure everybody is happy
Pros
employees
Cons
short breaks
Boring, easy, annoying
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAApril 20, 2019
Its kind of boring, its not killer work and management can suck. The culture among the employees is work avoidance and the management is sometimes overbearing.
Pros
flex hours
Cons
short breaks, no advancement opportunities
not good to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDMarch 13, 2019
it not good place to work and dont treat you fair pay is not good they dont hire you for your experience they dont want pay you too good and they have friends people they know and relative to manager and worker they get jobs they are not equal opportunity employer
Goodwill is just like Payless they try to get more for less, overworked
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 1, 2019
Manangers not being managers always wanna point fingers or pass the buck, they try to give advice about being managers but ain’t one themselves, district managers are TERRIBLE they don’t care about you only the business and they give unreasonable and sometimes impossible tasks and expects it done and if you can’t then they suggest to just find someone who can.....your overworked the pay don’t match the amount of work you do, they down play the job at the interview but when you get here it’s a whole different ball game you have to learn quick cause they will throw you to the wolves whether you know or not, lazy team members no one wants to pull there weight, goodwill is a GOSSIP COMPANY everyone in your business once something happens in private the whole store gonna eventually know about it and then other stores will too, your gonna be doing different jobs and tasks some tasks you shouldn’t even be doing if your an associate trust you will be doing some manager things that they should do, customers will test your patience, goodwill is very shady they pretend to be on your side but will throw you under the bus real quick that’s with everybody HR ain’t no different they worse and petty, there is no room for growth at ALL they rather hire someone new then someone that’s been working for them for years.
Pros
50% discount (at other stores), decent pay
Cons
Managers terrible, no advancement, overworked
Terrible Management And Turnover rate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 11, 2019
You always start a job, wanting to give it the benefit of the doubt. But, months in, things seemingly worsen. Corporate doesn’t care about employees. It’s hard to have good employees when the management teams are constantly changing and the regional director is a very “high and mighty” type of guy who talks down on EVERYONE, finds reasons to fire good employees and/or pushes them out by making their work experience miserable. They drive good employees into the ground and make it so that you literally DREAD coming to work. The huge work loads fall onto employees because the management is lazy and doesn’t manage the day accordingly. Scheduling for the day is always horrible and makes work harder for everyone. Most likely, because we were always short staffed (high turnover rate) and now, I understand why the turnover rate is such.
Toxic Work Environment
Merchandise Processor / Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDJanuary 3, 2019
The Waldorf location is a terrible environment to work. The assistant managers do their best, but corporate has yet to assign a new GM. Expect lots of non work related drama. The work is hard and chances of a raise is non existent unless you get promoted. Coworkers are lazy and everyone has an opinion to share. Overall Goodwill is stressful and I do not recommend working here.
Pros
50% off Employee Discount
Cons
Toxic Work Environment
Drama filled Company
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VADecember 24, 2018
Drama everyday in everyway. When I started at Goodwill I truly thought I could help make a difference in the community. However after 4 months of working there I realized theft and dishonesty was very common here. Even amongst the higher upstaff theft was prominent. I would not work for the company again.
Fast paced
Merchandise Processor (Former Employee) –  Centreville, VADecember 20, 2018
Fast paced with very little time to get what you need done in the time frame they give. Quotas are unbelievable and they constantly check on you which would make anybody uncomfortable.
Pros
Half hour lunch break
Cons
Quotas
Fun workplace
Day Porter (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 29, 2018
Great place to work. The environment was awesome. The residents where I worked were fun loving, and educational. All around great people, and place to work.
Depends On What You Can Handle
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAOctober 10, 2018
Management was always terrible and the turn over rate is ridiculous. We've had 4 different General Managers and 5 different Assistant Managers since I started in 2016 (only 2 years!!!) and a lot of them were terrible. Nasty attitudes, careless schedule making, forgetting about employee needs, shifting blame onto other people, giving unfair reviews, etc. Managers expect you to give your entire life to the company and don't appreciate you in return. One slip up and they're down your throat for life. Most managers sit in the office all day or float around the store not really doing anything while everyone else busts their butts. There is LOTS of in store drama... Management sometimes stirs the pot and spreads rumors about employees. Only have had one raise in the two years I worked with the company. Literally go home every day stressed out and sore all over from how hard I've busted my butt that day and I feel depressed going into work every morning.
Pros
50% off discounts and decent benefits
Cons
Stressful working environment, poor leadership, underpaid
Goodwill was a chalange but it was fun.
Sales Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAOctober 3, 2018
A typical day at work was ether opening process or if I closed closing process. Making sure the associates had there daily task and follow up to make sure that is was done. The store needed to be shop able and made sure that customer service was top priority.
The most important thing that I learned was if you treat associated and customers with respect and fairness, they will repay you in kind.
The hardest part of the job was understanding the different personalities of associates and how to make them work efficiently as a team.
I enjoyed going to work every day and I enjoyed evey aspect of my day.
Typical work day in customer service
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDOctober 2, 2018
New manager was very unprofessional and rude. Made the vibe of the atmosphere not pleasant. Most enjoyable part of the job were the regular customers that like to interact with you.
benefits
Cons
poor management
Fun work place
IT Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 1, 2018
The culture is nice and some employees are nice and some aren't but that is life in general. The management could be dealt with differently and i'm just speaking on the CIO. Other management is great and should be acknowledge more. Job security is half and half, depending if they need help. the benefits is good when it comes to PTO and they could do better with the comp.
Pros
Pto
Cons
Not being an Exempt employee and having to worry if you go over 40 hours
Good
cashier (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAAugust 22, 2018
Working there was a good experience, made good friends with the people I'd worked with and worked for. Had great customers and even build relationships with some customer.
Pros
people
Cons
rude people
Great company that promotes fairness and work ethics among employees.
Donation Attendant (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDAugust 20, 2018
My typical work day at Goodwill was generally very busy and productive. I always strived to maintain a positive environment between myself, my co-workers and upper management. I learned the importance of implementing regular teamwork in order to accomplish the tasks that were given. The hardest part of the job was recognizing that you can't please everyone, no matter how professional you handle difficult situations. The most enjoyable part of the job was the friendships that I was able to build while being there.
Pros
Learning Core Values and Teamwork
Cons
The environment could sometimes get fast paced unexpectedly.
Bad Management not the company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAAugust 5, 2018
The store manager was very unprofessional and discriminated or had personal preferences. Don't have much more to say. one hundred 50 words is too many to say.
Pros
Close to my home
Cons
Employees had to pick up the slack of bad scheduling
If you value your mental health dont work for Goodwill!!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VAJune 19, 2018
Working for Goodwill was good at first. Until you have to interact with customers. A good 80% are just awful. I've worked retail for many years and never have experienced such awful people in my life. You are asked for a discount every 2 seconds (no lie) and when they don't get a discount on a .99 item they proceed to insult you. And you repeat this throughout the whole day. Then comes corporate. They have no respect for their employees and will turn on you in a second. Good luck if you do decide to work there.
Pros
Cons
Awful customers and horrible corporate
Great place
Donation Attendant (Former Employee) –  Centreville, VAJune 4, 2018
Great benefits, Great people, Great hours, they will advance your career if you show hard work and consistency. The hardest part of being a donation attendant is the heavy loads and the constant moving and lifting. I was always loading and unloading donation trucks, or customer's vehicles. Cleaning and maintaining a safe environment and I assisted with other duties in the work environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodwill of Greater Washington. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

4.3InHerSight Score

-Personal Development

4.3Career Opportunities

-Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight