Goodwill of Greater Washington Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Bad Management not the company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAAugust 5, 2018
The store manager was very unprofessional and discriminated or had personal preferences. Don't have much more to say. one hundred 50 words is too many to say.
Pros
Close to my home
Cons
Employees had to pick up the slack of bad scheduling
If you value your mental health dont work for Goodwill!!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VAJune 19, 2018
Working for Goodwill was good at first. Until you have to interact with customers. A good 80% are just awful. I've worked retail for many years and never have experienced such awful people in my life. You are asked for a discount every 2 seconds (no lie) and when they don't get a discount on a .99 item they proceed to insult you. And you repeat this throughout the whole day. Then comes corporate. They have no respect for their employees and will turn on you in a second. Good luck if you do decide to work there.
Pros
Cons
Awful customers and horrible corporate
Great place
Donation Attendant (Former Employee) –  Centreville, VAJune 4, 2018
Great benefits, Great people, Great hours, they will advance your career if you show hard work and consistency. The hardest part of being a donation attendant is the heavy loads and the constant moving and lifting. I was always loading and unloading donation trucks, or customer's vehicles. Cleaning and maintaining a safe environment and I assisted with other duties in the work environment.
Wonderful
Program Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 6, 2018
Worked in the office as a program coordinator, and absolutely loved the management and the challenge of the job. Loved how much I was able to learn and participate in, and the potential for advancing from the position.
Good Company
Retail Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VAMay 2, 2018
Very good company and I support what they stand for. However the staff can be filled with a lot of drama but staying away from those individuals the job is easy. Donation Attendants do more work than management and deserve a pay increase. Company receives GREAT donations all fairly priced.
Pros
50% DISCOUNT OUTSIDE OF YOUR STORE! Decent pay, benefits
Cons
alot of drama amongst staff, lack of communication between management and outside help, very small pay increases after review (ex. .25 Cents)
Safety Director (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 30, 2018
I absolutely love working with GGW. They take care of their employees, they fight to do whats right for their employees and they push their employees to be great.
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
Pay but improving
Loved
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAApril 26, 2018
Goodwill was a great place to work with excellent benefits & great pay at $15.00 an hours the best job I ever had in my life & then I got laid off it sad
Happy
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 11, 2018
Not much to say about a wonderful job and the wonderful experience I endured with rhe goodwill family . This is a job for all regions and a wonderful experience
Pros
Alot
Cons
None oh cleaning
Producative and Competitive at GoodWill of Greater Washington
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Annandale, VAApril 4, 2018
It was a great place to work. They have great benefits. The workplace was very diversified. I learned how to communicate with all types of people. Management can be tough and hard on the employees to keep the moral up.
Good place
Transportation Operator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 6, 2018
Goodwill provides some opportunities. Alot of people get hired through their work training program. Little advancement depending upon experience. Nice place to start a job.
Terrible place to work
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDMarch 3, 2018
Management is very lazy, they expected too much and delivered nothing on their end. We were understaffed and over worked. One of the mangers were loud, unprofessional and extremely rude. The stores are filthy and dusty. Management doesn’t care about employees safety or concerns. Bathrooms were always broken and the break room was infested with rat droppings. Some employee were okay, others were rude and disrespectful. Most floor associates did their best to keep the store as clean and maintain as possible which was close to impossible especially on discount days. Most of the customers were extremely rude and always made a mess, letting their children run around the store making a mess. Not to mention one of my previous managers gave my phone number out to a random person. I would never recommend this job to anyone. Beware!
Cons
non profit that has lots of gray areas not enough structure
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDFebruary 8, 2018
Typical day at work as a General Manager Requires you to be wear all hats, for example:
Human Resources
Lost Preventions
Counselor or Social Services
Job Recruiter
Sales and Marketing
Custodial

Yet also team build, push sales, merchandise, coach and train employees as well as high-level managers, train managers for other store while running your own store, keep a high customer service standards, maintain relations ships with vendors and price and push product yourself to the floor in order to meet and exceed budgeted goals
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
required to hold many hats and be close to perfect
Production/Retail Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAFebruary 7, 2018
Its a great place to be employed. You must be willing to work. There is no time to stand around, productivity equals budget. Staff must always stay productive.
Pros
you can shop at any other goodwill for 50% off any day
Cons
can not shop at the store you work at
It is a difficult management to client relationship.
Associate contracts cleaning (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 8, 2018
They do not train in floor cleaning or have squishes. It means work does not get done. Some employees talk to the foot rats for wrestling fun and eat Ajax cleaner.
Pros
If you want to sleep around they adk you out on a day
Cons
It is not work oriented to getting a permit to the business district
Poor management, kept changing every year. Poor work environment. Great customers, but even they started complaining.
Donations Associate (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VADecember 27, 2017
I would not work at that store again.management kept changing every year. I worked there for six years. Each new manager wanted to make changes from the previous manager. That made it more confusing for us lowly workers. Once I got into a rhythm for a few months, something changed. Very physical job. Donations included very heavy furniture, like entertainment center, couches, China cabinets, desks, tables and such. Imagine told to put furniture in space dedicated for furniture and other large objects, then told to intake those items into warehouse space where there's not enough space and tripping over them. Huge safety issues there.

Coworkers fun to work with, mot of the time. Sometimes the frustration of the work created tensions.

Great news. They paid for to return to college for about three years. I appreciated that gesture.
Pros
Paid for education.
Cons
Bad management.
Not a bad place to work ( age 18 - 25 or retired )
E-Books Associate (Current Employee) –  Forestville, MDNovember 18, 2017
Now I've never worked at the stores so I'm speaking on the warehouse side of the company.

It's not a bad place to work if you just graduated from high school, retired, or just need a job till something better comes which leads me to my next point.

Management isn't bad but they could handle situations that occur on the job a lot better like floor space and other things that I won't speak on. Now you can work as much and as long as you want during the week with the incentive of overtime, leave, double time, and some paid holidays. However during orientation I recall them offering yearly raise on our anniversary and now the status of the leave change from receiving 80 hours for people who've worked 6 months - 5 year's ( I've worked for them almost 2 years ) to only receiving 8 hour.

So if you need a job Goodwill is not bad for a short stay..........
Pros
Easy work good hours
Cons
No long term goals can be achieved in this company.
Working at Goodwill
Wear Processor/ Donation Attendant (Current Employee) –  Annandale, VAOctober 31, 2017
I think it is a a good fit for a wide array of backgrounds, ages and experiences. it is a competitive place that allows you to grow and thrive. Management plays an essential role in coordinating the team work and building a healthy and strong relationships among the staff to insure adhering to the company`s policies. You can learn a lot from being a member of this company like, how to deal with various backgrounds. A typical day at work will be packed with different scheduled tasks(depends on your job description/management instructions) which will keep you busy, productive and on the run till the end of your work day.
cool work place to gain skills
Merchandise Processor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 25, 2017
Goodwill of Greater Washington was a good company to work for as I gained skills beyond my my expectations. I started as a processor and ended with the tools needed to work in computer recycling, shipping and receiving, stacking and staging merchandise using a forklift and other power equipment. I also learned the operations of
E-commence and online selling of used vintage goods.
Pros
excellent work hours. earned PTO, allotted a RISE coach and good work location
Cons
no room for advancement, no sick leave, company relocated
Great place
Merchandise Processor (Current Employee) –  Waldorf, MDSeptember 4, 2017
Great place for second chances! Laid back must be a quick learner and is a very diverse place to work. The CEO is awesome and always willing to here others input to better goodwill.
A wonderful place to work
Janitor (Current Employee) –  United StatesAugust 21, 2017
I Believe in this company because of the way they care about their employees ,they also gave you a change to grow in the company ,they will to help you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodwill of Greater Washington. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

4.3InHerSight Score

-Personal Development

4.3Career Opportunities

-Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight