Goodwill of Western & Northern Connecticut Employee Reviews

It's a great place to work.
Senior Human Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTMarch 13, 2019
Its productive and a fun place to work. The management is very helpful and understanding. I have learned a lot by working here. There are always opportunities to grow within the company.
Worst place to work
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bloomfield CTNovember 6, 2018
The company itself is horrible, and the “shift supervisor” position is worse. They aren’t looking for a manager, but an enforcer. They want someone to blindly follow all their rules without question. They are looking for someone to crack the whip on all their minimum wage associates. The second you start to think on your own or deviate from their ‘rules,’ you are gone. If you are a person who likes to think on your own and apply logic to a situation, this is not the job for you. If you can take orders and then repeat them to people you will excel here. The worst part about this company is that they do not care about their employees one bit. They can replace a minimum wage employee easily. Which explains the huge rate of turnover.
Pros
Easy hours
Cons
Low pay, horrible upper management
Great Place, Good People
Program Manager of DDS Services (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTOctober 16, 2018
This was my favorite place to work. I left due to other career opportunities. There were no opportunities presented to remain with the agency, But great place
Pros
The people served
Cons
No lunches
It was a great job
KITCHEN MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTOctober 15, 2018
Most things were pretty much consistent.
I have learned to deal with people with different backgrounds and abilities. And patience.
With the proper support the possibilities are endless.
The hardest part was trying to get people to eat healthier.
The most enjoyable part of my day wound be getting through a very busy day with catering and and day to day foodservice and all customers were satisfied.
Pros
Open door policy
Cons
There was no longer an opportunity for growth due to financial cutbacks
Great Company for Finding a Direction
Human Services (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTAugust 6, 2018
The career opportunities at Goodwill truly help employees gain the skills they need to find and understand their career paths. It's an excellent place to build up your resume and experience a professional work environment. Additionally, management encourages career growth and works with you to determine your next steps. However, like most companies, growth takes time and requires an individual to be work hard and be patient. Overall, the experience you have is what you put into it. Highly recommend for an entry into the Human Services and Retail fields.
Pros
Resume Building, Growth Opportunities, Mission Focused
Cons
Lower Salary
Would be a fine job if it weren't for the management (Danbury)
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTJuly 24, 2018
The job itself is not the issue, it's your standard retail job. The management however leaves a great deal to be desired. Most of them are hypocrites who will constantly beat you down to follow every rule while they themselves blatantly break them. I have also worked there for five years, albeit for a portion of it as a seasonal employee, and have never received a raise.
Cons
Management, Poor Pay
It’s trash
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTJune 27, 2018
Management sucked. The manager is a rude, bitter person who will disrespect you in front of everybody. The work is way too much for minimum wage. Managers show favoritism and co workers barely work. If you need a job, this should be your last choice
Helping others
ILST-Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CT 06605June 21, 2018
You arrive at the home of the consumer your working with and read the log book to see how the previous shift went. You check the calendar for appointments, if none plan an activity such as going to the park. Then come home and prepare dinner and give out pm medications.
Pros
Rewarding to be helping others
Cons
Can be challenging emotionally at times
Very unprofessional work environment
Residential Specialist (Former Employee) –  315 New Park AveMay 27, 2018
I have worked at Goodwill for about 2 years and recently got let go. The upper management is HORRIBLE. They are so unethical and throw all the employees who keep the company running under the bus. Working in the ABI department was enjoyable because of the consumers. But I would always get stuck at work, and the managers would purposely ignore my calls because they knew they had no coverage. If u want a job then cool, but you will be stressed out to the max and stuck at work every week. Not only that but Goodwil does not give raises bonuses or anything, it’s as if they don’t care about their employees. We would usually get a Christmas bonus of ($50), but 2017 there’s was ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. No bonus no Christmas cards absolutely no appreciation of their employees and all the hard work we put in.
Pros
Insurance and dependent account
Cons
Unprofessional upper management, unethical
Official response from Goodwill of Western & Northern Connecticut
July 2, 2018

Goodwill is deeply troubled to hear of your experience. We encourage any employee who believes they have witnessed unethical, illegal, or irresponsible acts to make a report with our 24/7 anonymous hotline. That number is 1-877-888-0002. We at Goodwill care deeply for our employees and our clients, and we take these allegations very seriously.

We strive to maintain a positive work environment, and are truly sorry if we failed your expectations. If you would like to speak to us directly about your time at Goodwill, please contact Human Resources at (203) 368-6511 or email us at info@gwct.org. We always consider feedback from current and exiting employees, and make every effort to investigate and address any concerns.

Stressful unorganized unprofessional
Manager (Former Employee) –  Hartford County, CTMay 1, 2018
The worst company to ever work for, especially the ABI department . Poor upper management, unprofessional, unorganized, unethical, underpaid and under appreciated.
Official response from Goodwill of Western & Northern Connecticut
May 14, 2018

Goodwill cares deeply for individuals with Acquired Brain Injuries. We recently undertook a significant reorganization to better serve and support those with ABIs, and as a result, there were many changes to reporting structures, supervision, external and internal tracking systems, and technology. We deeply regret any missteps or misunderstandings, and we are working hard to maintain a positive work environment for all our employees. If you would like to speak to us directly, please contact Human Resources at (203)368-6511 or email us at info@gwct.org. We take the feedback from current and exiting employees very seriously, and always strive to address any concerns.

interesting place to work
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTDecember 14, 2017
It is interesting to see the different products that come into the donations each day. As a retail associate you get to become friendly with the customers.
Pros
discounts
Cons
annoying customers
productive and eductional
Residential Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTSeptember 5, 2017
This job teaches you patience and compassion for all individuals. You help consumers with their daily task. Take them out into the community etc outings, daily appointments, visits with families.
Pros
there is always extra shifts if needed
Cons
sometimes next shift is late or no show
Amazing workplace with supportive staff
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Oxford, CTJune 19, 2017
Every Goodwill location is different. However the location in which I have had the honor of working at is amazing. The management is good-hearted and kind and want to see their employees succeed. The staff is like a second family and we all work as a team and want to see the store do well. Although sometimes donations and sorting can be tough, having supportive coworkers makes going to work fun and exciting. I wouldn't trade my work experience at Goodwill for the world. Meeting all different types of people has helped me gain customer service skills and how to work with different types of customers. I'm grateful to have been able to work here.
Pros
Supportive coworkers, flexible hours
Goodwill is a fun company to work with, you meet new people every day
donation Attendant (Former Employee) –  Greenwich, CTJune 10, 2017
I worked for almost four years at Goodwill and i was the best attendant of the year. I am a hard worker, I work well with others.
I work in two busy work work places; walking, talking to donors, answer phone calls lift over fifty pounds (sometimes). I am always on time at work.
great place to learn and new things
Career Center Coach (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTApril 26, 2017
works with ex-convicts and help them with finding jobs i also create email addresses for them and tech them how to use the computer i also he them create a resume.
Highly professional and profitable workplace with genuine people.
Career Center Intern (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTDecember 3, 2016
Goodwill's Employees are well-known for providing efficiently the needs of Customers.Being around them,I learned a lot about office work,specifically how to assist and satisfy customers greatly.The Co-workers were friendly and professionally skilled.Honestly,there isn't anything too hard about the internship,I just had to follow directions,which were pretty accurate.
Pros
support and appreciation from the employees
If you need a job, it is a job.
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Glastonbury, CTNovember 30, 2016
Work was tedious and poorly managed.
Reaching into a tub of clothes over and over hurts your back.
No one likes working there and it shows.
Minimum wage (or less, Goodwill exploits labor laws).
Minimal opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Get to look at donated things, discount
Needs to pay more
Residential Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTNovember 9, 2016
I feel that the goodwill can offer a higher pay rate an hour to there employees since they are a very well known company in business.
Loved helping the consumers.
Job Coach (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTAugust 10, 2016
Management was horrible , they always put so much on you & when you needed help they got upset that u asked for help , sheila the manager had a bad attitude n always seemed to talk down on the employees there was also a lot of favoritism going on there glad I got out .
Employment with a purpose!
Purchasing Manager (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTDecember 17, 2015
Great company to work for~

Was wonderful to go to work everyday knowing that you could make a difference in the community.

Staff and consumers were a pleasure to work with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodwill of Western & Northern Connecticut. Our community is ready to answer.

Goodwill of Western & Northern Connecticut Reviews by Location