Goodwin House Incorporated Employee Reviews

3.8Pay & Benefits
4.5Job Security & Advancement
Job Advancement
Human Resources Generalist (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAOctober 27, 2017
You will always have opportunities to grow within the company. A typical day at work is calm, pleasant and always has you thinking fast. You will enjoy the residents and the staff.
Very pleasant working environment - "Mission driven"
Executive Assistant Temp (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJune 19, 2017
Everyone there seemed happy and welcoming while I was there as a temp in the corporate office. Corporate was very approachable and willing to listen to any suggestions or concerns. Great team, leadership and direction.
Cons
I was there as a temp part-time for 8 weeks
Lovable working place, Enjoyed helping the staff and residents of Goodwin House.
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 22, 2015
Working at Goodwin House Alexandria I learned many new things, helped the staff and residents quickly and efficiently as possible. I also learned all about being a great dining room server as well as a fantastic receptionist. While operating the front desk I came across many unusual requests and questions to which I answered and handled appropriately. Transferred phone calls to the best of my ability. I learned great leadership and communication skills. I formed good relationships with my mangers and supervisors. I got along very well with my co-workers as well. Most enjoyable part was interacting with many different residents and creating a close relationship. One of the hardest parts about working at Goodwin House is dealing with the death of a Resident I grew to admire.
Pros
Good Working Environment
Great place of Employment
Dinning Server (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAOctober 31, 2014
A typical day at work usually starts for me @ 4:00 or 4:30 pm. depending on what time they have you scheduled to start your shift. I've learned everything there is to know about the whole dinning server position and how it differs from a working in a regular restaurant. Working @ Goodwin House Inc different because you are serving senior citizens and have certain guidelines you must follow, because a lot of residents have allergies to certain food or take medications or have illnesses and are not allowed to have alcohol beverages or have to drink Alcohol Free wine. My co-workers are great. I can honestly say I have a good relationship with everyone I work with here @ GHI, Its a mixture of college students and high school students so you can imagine how lively the dinning room must be. The hardest thing for me is being perky/happy/polite when I didn't want to come in. management is very good there is never a time when I need something or have concerns I can't talk to them and express my feelings about an issue. My supervisors as well as their bosses are very down to earth people who take your cares and concerns about the job seriously. The best part of this job is If I don’t want to go to work there is always someone to work for me. Waiting tables is notoriously flexible. The restaurant is full of people who fall somewhere between “I never want to work” to “I will work five doubles in a row.” (Guess where I fall…) Sometimes things come up that make it impossible for us to make it to our shift. It might be an audition, school or a hangover. When these situations arise, all it  more... takes is a quick note on the bulletin board and someone will almost always take your shift for you. You can’t do that at most jobs. It can be a dangerously easy habit to fall into though. I gave away four Thursday shifts in a row once and when they new schedule came out for the next month I was no longer working on Thursdays. I demanded I get my Thursday shifts back and as soon as I got them, I gave the first one away to some new girl so I could watch the finale of Project Runway.  less
Pros
Free food.
Cons
Uniforms.