Google Employee Reviews

Found 1,639 reviews matching the search See all 2,661 reviews
Fun place to work
Contract Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 12, 2018
Fun place to work. People were good and helpful. There was a lot to learn and the people were helpful regarding being available as resources to guide you where you look for information.
Nice place to work, but can feel lost
Technical Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CANovember 12, 2018
There are a lot of things to like about working at Google, but there is the potential to get the feeling that you're just another cog in the machine there. If you put 100% of yourself into the job, work nights and weekends you will do well, if you try to maintain a strong work/life balance it will be difficult to excel.
Pros
Free food and snacks, loose schedule
Cons
Poor work/life balance
Google is for those who are self-motivated and want to express their creative skills.
Publisher (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLNovember 10, 2018
I learned how to create videos and upload to YouTube, and distributed videos on Google+, FaceBook and Twitter. I worked the hours I wanted to work, and connect with others on social media.
Pros
You manage your time and direct your work
worked for a contract company
Dispatch / Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 10, 2018
Our company was hired to provide a service for google. it was for their google express delivery service. we interacted with many of the employees and other companies that google hire to do this project.
Stressful but well fed - great co-workers
Technical Support Agent (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 7, 2018
Lack of training and a 'Trainer' who only showed up a few times. Unfair 'scoring process' on calls; if both survey questions weren't answered at the end of the call, you didn't receive credit for positive feedback on first question. If a customer was upset because they hadn't had their Google Fiber installed yet, and they said they weren't happy with the company on the Survey, it counted as a 'FAIL' for me.
The company had made unrealistic promises on install & built dates which in turn made several people very upset.
Most enjoyable were my co-workers, who were very helpful, and free food in the mini-kitchen.
Pros
Well stocked mini-kitchen
Cons
short breaks on a 12 hr shift; one 10 min, one 15 min, and 30 min lunch
Fun, fast-paced, highly creative, challenging work place.
Content Producer (Former Employee) –  New South WalesNovember 7, 2018
A great culture, fast-paced, great management and collaborative group of people that challenged me and my idea's, and in-turn made me better at my job.
Very Nice place to work at!
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CANovember 4, 2018
Our typical day is full of life. I didn't dread going to work and i was up lifting when co-workers were encouraging and friendly. It is a good environment to work and very exciting.
Pros
Free lunches, Flexible Work Periods, Time to travel
Cons
Short Breaks
Ran like a ship without a sail
Consultant - Contract (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, WANovember 2, 2018
The department I was brought in to work for was dysfunctional at best, I was there as an expert in my field, but the resource did not utilize nor leverage my skills. The resource had insecurity issues and stress attacks about their job. Not a good experience with my direct reporting manager; however the other departments in our area seem to run better. I had excellent feedback from the departments I worked with when I was able to work without a micro-manager so constricted by their own stress brought on totally by themselves or corporate goal that was too aggressive for them - totally bad experience.
Pros
laid back chill work environment with mobility and flexibly with experienced management
Cons
corporate goals and performance initiatives seemingly stressful to achieve
Interesting project with lots of changes
QA Engineer (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CANovember 2, 2018
I worked at Google short term as a QA Engineer testing Google Assistant mobile app on Android devices, both phones and tablets. There weren't enough meetings and discussions about testing strategy, and following the test suite strictly was a requirement. I think more creativity in terms of testing and more open lines of communication about changes to the product would help uncover more bugs.
Pros
Free lunches, great product to test, lots to learn
Cons
Lack of direct communication on the project
Very supportive place to work
Online Advertising Support (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 1, 2018
They offer a lot of room to learn and grow. They truly care about their employees and offer amazing perks and benefits. It's quite a large company now, but within each team is the ability to feel you're more part of the team.

Want to know more about Google?

Ask a question
Better at hiring top talent than utilizing it
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Venice beach, CAOctober 31, 2018
Google refuses to accept that it is now a very large, and corporate, company. As a result of this, their response to corporate politics and gaming of their peer review process is to (a) ignore it, and (b) punish those who report it.

If you are on a good team at Google, it is undoubtedly one of the best companies in the industry to work for. Unfortunately, if a bad team lead decides to bid on you, for whatever reason, you're stuck, and the company does not handle this well.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Corporate Kool-aide, some really rotten managers
User Support
User Support Specialist/Contract (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAOctober 31, 2018
Worked for a contract agency Randstad. Very poor management. Unfair treatment to employees by entire management team. Workplace culture was diverse and friendly with the exception of the leaders. Typical day consisted of providing email support to customers. Meetings to create workflow standards. The most enjoyable part was being part of team that would create a standard flow to be used for future teams. Also enjoying all the wonderful perks at the google campus until one day we all got demoted to yellow badges by management. When asked Management informed us that it was brought to their attention that some of the employees were being greedy and taking advantage of the food. Meanwhile management kept their perks. The most shadiest job I ever had, I know Google was not all fault but rather the greedy upper folks at Randstad.
Poor Management with limited room for growth
Encoding Operator (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAOctober 31, 2018
I was a contractor with Vaco at Google for 2 years. I was promised a long term contract, but never received that opportunity due to poor management. Our team lead was the worst person I ever had to deal with professionally.
Pros
Free breakfast and lunch
Cons
poor management
Hardware Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAOctober 30, 2018
Typical day at work consisted of checking emails and correspondence from managers/coworkers and responding to tickets.

Learned a great deal about team work as well as technical skills. The hardest part of the job was learning the proprietary work flows but it was also very enjoyable.
Supported recruiters in daily tasks
Technical Sourcer (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAOctober 29, 2018
High volume sourcing or reviewing of applicants. We would filter out the most qualified candidates based on their education and skill sets. Setup interviews for hiring managers
Independent Active Fun Work
Dispatcher/ Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Venice, CAOctober 27, 2018
Driving around beautiful Los Angeles, staying connected with management/dispatcher. Following the routes that adapt best to our schedule and vehicles. I delivered goodies to awesome people.
Pros
Lots of free time.
Cons
Lonely job.
Fun environment, hard to get people together
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAOctober 26, 2018
Teaching classes were only tough for me regarding the fact that everyone was always so busy, or preoccupied with meetings, or, even having to "make the bus" to get home... that it made attendance very random.
Pros
Great food, great people
Cons
Not much potential nor help for growth, despite HUGE efforts and skills on my part
na
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 25, 2018
great place to work. great creative outlets. minimal interference about menu planning. overall would do it again. engineers were kind of obnoxious so yea.
I love working at Google
Content Reviewer for Spanish (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAOctober 22, 2018
Every day I find an amazing work environment plus the latest technology to help in my tasks. There's constant team contribution and a very well organized management.
Fun environment, however nothing is guaranteed
Staffing Services Specialist -- Temporary Contract (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CAOctober 22, 2018
Google is what everyone thinks it is. Very relaxed, very friendly. However, something no one thinks about is the contracting. Contractors are treated very poorly. They are released whenever they feel like it even if you are exceeding metrics. That is the only concerning area

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Google. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3
51.5K

See reviews about

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Google.

Powered by Comparably