Google Employee Reviews

Found 2,021 reviews matching the search See all 3,238 reviews
Nice people to work with.
Search Language Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 20, 2019
I am an contractor at google. It is a very good company to work for. The perks are amazing, and people are very nice to work with. Nothing really to complain about, just wanted some change, and the job i have now is not what I want to do ultimately.
Technical Support Specialist / CSR - Chrome Environment (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDOctober 20, 2019
I thought the management was great. Very helpful and kind. I was not happy with giving sick days you could never use. That was dumb. Why even offer sick days? If you use one you get a bad mark and after 3 your out. Just doesnt sound right.

Over all fun place to work. Not happy with Google for ending the contract. Alot of great people, dedicated people there. They were the best of the best and put alot of time making the company successful.
Fun, and ever-changing, but hard to maintain social ties.
Field Operations Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 19, 2019
A typical day at work would be out in the field, doing survey scans on businesses/companies. This involved going to the locations, and completing a quick data scan on a cell phone(s). Two of the other main projects involved bluetooth beacon installations and maintenance, and a GPS location accuracy test project among several model phones. I learned that technology is becoming more and more intertwined in our lives, in ways we don't even know yet- the future both excites me and terrifies me. The hardest part of the job would be maintaining the relationships in your life- on average, 2 weeks of every month were spent working out of state. The most enjoyable parts of the job were probably in how autonomous you were out in the field, and being on the forefront of technology developments worldwide.
Amazing exposure that accelerates growth
Project Manager Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAOctober 17, 2019
Being exposed to Google's Real Estate Workspace Services organization gave me empirical knowledge on how to be a person of value to a high caliber team.
Great company but not for growth
Partner Manager (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CAOctober 17, 2019
Great company to be at for about 4 years and then time to move on and move to the next thing. Not a good company for growth but good for other aspects.
Toxic Culture and Incompetent Managers
Google Marketer (Former Employee) –  ChinaOctober 17, 2019
The marketing culture (not the engineering culture, mind you) is toxic and getting worse. New managers are brought in and pretend to be kind and genuinely care about your personal growth as long as their probation lasts. When their probation ends, you quickly realize that yelling and humiliating in public are the only management tools that they intend to keep. And they will keep yelling and humiliating until your projects hit a dead end and have to give up and leave your job so that there's more room left for new hires, also known as "my people" new hires.

No wonder single parents, divorcees and people with obesity are all over the place. Toxic jobs always take a hefty toll on your health and relationship.
Pros
Money
Cons
Toxic culture
Was a great summer job
Street view driver (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaOctober 16, 2019
I loved working independently. I had a Ops lead that I could call, if need be. But for the most part all communication was done via Email with new towns to map and due dates.
Pros
Independent, loved driving
Cons
Didn't last long enough
Best Company
Software Development Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAOctober 16, 2019
Best company I have ever interned with.
Outstanding employee benefits;
Friendly and productive working environment;
A dynamic learning place;
Minimum exhausting of resources such as unnecessary meetings
These Were Classes
CPS 350 (AC 201) - Google Class, Student (Former Employee) –  Tiffin, OHOctober 16, 2019
The Google Classes really changed how most of the students and the professor, thought about and approached programming and data science. I believe that the approach that Google took with these classes was very good, however they way that they delivered this information was lacking.
Really good
AI Resident (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 15, 2019
I just joined Google for a little over a week. Therefore, I cannot talk about it in too much depth. However, it has been a really good experience for me.
Comfortable work environment
Senior Technical Consultant (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAOctober 15, 2019
Work and life balance depends on your team and is definitely different if you are a contractor.
There are a lot of resources you can take advantage of to grow personally and professionally.
Good
Sr. IT QA Analyst - Test Automation - Worksoft Certify (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 15, 2019
Good place to Work. The management is very cooperative resourceful. They encourage the new concepts and Technology. Flexible at work and timelines. I enjoyed working here
over worked and under paid
Fiber Optics Technician (Current Employee) –  Santa Fe Springs, CAOctober 14, 2019
There was hope but one had to be employed by the original sub contractor above NCS, Red Rock.
Red Rock starting pay was 20 plus. NCS started some off at 14 dollars an hour.
wonderful place
Program Manager and Strategy Lead (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CAOctober 13, 2019
It is a wonderful place to work. Amazing healthcare and work benefits. All of my colleagues are extremely talented, smart and hardworking. You can even bring you dog to work.
Pampers employees too much to the point of distraction; frontend developer skills will languish
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAOctober 12, 2019
* Perks are too much really, and I would feel guilty complaining about any of them. However, I'd much rather give up all my perks for the opportunity to work from home instead.
* Was very frustrating from the perspective of an employee of a startup that was acquired. After getting acquired, all the state-of-the-art competitive software had to be re-written to fit Google's standards: coding style, build tools, and software libraries and protocols. This felt the opposite of freedom. Also, it was super hard even getting our first code checked into the monolithic codebase, as no one in the company had "readability" in any programming languages. As such, we had to hire folks from other parts of Google, as well as get "buddies" within Google to help review our code. More handcuffs...
* Mostly young workforce, with many from privileged backgrounds, with highly materialistic wants. "Smart" gets thrown around a lot. There are many smart people, and also many weird characters. As someone who came in through an acquisition, I increasingly felt that I just didn't belong there, as I'd skipped the entire interview process.
* A very stable build system and well-written tech stack, at the cost of severe NIH, overall developmental slowness, and very outdated tech. No opportunity to code with React.js, a very dominant framework used outside of Google (competing with Angular 2)
* Frontend developers are not really taken seriously. JavaScript is barely tolerated as a "real language" and the tech stack and build tools were completely disparate from the real world.
good
Technical Analyst/ Program Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 12, 2019
Drove improvements across the business as a result of IT implementations. Equipped SPM’s across the organization with solutions that accelerated their OKR(action based metric) by 40%, providing additional visibility into partner relationship(improving the workflow), and reducing ticket to support by 60%.
Great company! Great senior leadership! Awful immediate supervisor!
Users & Product, Solutions Consultant Intern (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAOctober 11, 2019
My general experience at Google was positive.
However, the internship could have been more organized. I didn't work directly for the manger who appraised my performance. Therefore, there was a disconnect between the impression that my supervisor had and the one that my appraiser had. Also, the person who appraised my work was just a very critical person who always look to blame people that she over saw. I believe she would probably be an awesome individual contributor, but not a good people manager.
Great Company
Senior Manager, Real Estate and Workplace Services (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 10, 2019
Great company, great people, cares a lot for it's employees, fair compensation and great perks/benefits. Challenging and rewarding, mandate to innovate.
Bad Management
Technical Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAOctober 10, 2019
The management at Google, at least in the technical area, are ICs that reached their peak technically so they are 'promoted' to manager regardless of skills in leadership, people management, team growth, etc.
Company doesn't care about work ethic and hustle
Administrative Business Partner (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAOctober 10, 2019
Company doesn't care about work ethic and hustle but more about not making sure you don't "offend" anyone. Everyone there looks into what you mean to say in your communications then what you are actually saying.
Pros
free food
Cons
no work from home policy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Google. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3
51.8K

Ratings from women

3.7InHerSight Score

3.8Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

3.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight