Gordmans Employee Reviews

Overall a good job
Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIDecember 26, 2018
Working at gordmans, i was a "part-time" employee, but worked closer to full time, if not full time hours due to staffing. During the holidays, expect to work well over 40 hours. My paycheck was usually right around 70-90 hours. Overtime pay is received for anything over 40, so it was worth it. My managers were fun, we did group huddles. Team work there is good, but can also work alone if wanted. I wouldn't say it's a career, but a good starting job, or just a flexible one for that matter. Most managers will work with your hour needs, or lack of. Received breaks, and a lunch depending on length of shift worked. Usually trained to cashier, regardless of position.
Pros
Fun friendly enviroment.
Cons
Low pay.
fun work place
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 7, 2019
I loved working at Gordman's because you are always busy and you got to deal with clothing and cash registers and you get to deal with a lot more ting at Gordman's and their hours were nice I loved working the hours I worked and during the holidays you every body was so happy and cheerful there are never issues unless is a refund or just certain prices on things but just handling with retail is nic. I loved every moment
Met some of the best people working there, associates and costumers!
Key Holder/Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WINovember 1, 2018
I worked there for 8 years, I never would've left if the management was more respectful towards all of the associates equally. Through the 8 yrs of being there, I met a lot of great workers, there was a lot of turnover at my store. I stayed because I loved what I was bringing to the store, I was proud of my displays. It's a shame they had to close down.
Pros
Employee discount, first pick of merchandise.
Cons
Big turnover in employees, overworked because of lack of employees
Stressful
Key Holder/Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COOctober 19, 2018
The work environment is steady but extremely stressful. The schedule ether has so many people working in the morning or very few. There is never enough people to close the store which is why things are so stressful. Majority of staff does call off and there are no consequences. Managers show up to work when they want or just don’t come at all and too there are no consequences. The only time a pay is increased is when there is a promotion to management which isn’t often. Truck days are always behind because we’re so understaffed. By the time products are put on the sales floor they’re already on clearance. We do not have enough people to recover (clean) the store.
Pros
You can do what you wants
Cons
No benefits, understaffed, no real management
Company did not take care of its employees.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSOctober 8, 2018
Company kepts its stores understaffed to keep expenses down and right after Christmas 2017 they began cutting everything back, eventually rumors began by March and by April the company filed for bankruptcy. I stayed until we finally heard that the store was purchased by a new company. However i took a different job due to the rumor that it would most likely only keep the store open for 2-3 years.
Fun, set your own pace environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Blue Springs, MONovember 1, 2018
Again working as a sales associate has it's own benefit of setting a pace for yourself that you are comfortable with no matter how busy the place gets. The team was great at working together, and I worked there with my mom which was a personal plus for myself. And they were all very supportive of me working there while I was pregnant with my son.
Pros
Team Motivation
Fun retail job.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 14, 2019
It is a good job to work if you desire flexible part time hours, don't mind light lifting, and are okay with being on your feet for the whole shift. Just a standard retail job.
Pros
Flexible hours, short shifts, and ability to walk around.
Cons
General customer service stress, minimum wage pay, poor management, and little room for advancement.
It was in a Bad location
Junior's department specialist /Sales lead (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COSeptember 5, 2018
Was a nice fun place to work and the store had great clothing and great furniture . The store had expectation on pushing credit cards threw out the day. The work place cultural was very diverse with different age groups. The hardest part of the job was making sure truck day were merchandise was put away at a certain time frame.The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting good customers and staff.
Pros
was a great store
Cons
was in a bad location
Fun part-time job
Guest Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, INOctober 19, 2018
I enjoyed working at the guest services desk at Gordman's. They is a lot of regular guests that came into the store, and you got to know them and what they liked to purchase. The 20% off employee discount was amazing!! They sell quality products at low prices.
Pros
Great discount, and environment
Cons
Seasonal/part-time employment
Retail Associate/Accessories Specialist (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COOctober 28, 2018
I very much enjoyed my time there. I was hired only temporarily. I was hired as a seasonal worker for the holiday season. I enjoyed the work I did... interacting w/ customers. I was even hired back the following year w/ a raise as a seasonal employee again.
Pros
annual raises
Cons
a great corporate office in the best part of town
Vice President Operations (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 13, 2019
the culture was open and collaborative. Amenities were first class.
plenty of opportunities to learn and grow. Leadership communicated openly and the CEO was always available for conversations and quesitons
N/a
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WIJanuary 16, 2019
Gordmans employees do not always help others out within in there job and is extremely solo. While most projects that are being worked on aren't focused to none person and end up having conflicts between two people working on the same thing and leads to conflicts.
Great place to Start Your Career
Assistant Store Manager of Operations (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NEJuly 24, 2018
Gordmans has gone through a lot of changes, but the core values are still there. Hours flexible, fast-paced, big box discount retailer. Day to day activities are crucial to execute to be successful. Credit Card goals are non-negotiable. You must be willing to sell credit and grewards.
Pros
Discount, flexible hours
Cons
Amount of hours per week for Associate Store Manager, advancement opportunities
I did not feel I was treated fairly
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Southaven, MSSeptember 29, 2018
Interview was great. Work environment was not.I was made to do all the work while people sat around and socialized.They made me come I with a fever of 102 and said I would lose my job if I didn't . I was a hard worker.
Pros
loved the job
Cons
management and the other employees
Terrible and horrible
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COOctober 29, 2018
Let me just start by say NEVER WORK FOR THIS COMPANY!!!!!!
I have been at gordmans for 2 yrs now and it has just gone down hill evey month. Truck days are always behind because we don’t have a stockroom team anymore so the sales associates have to get the products out on the floor. Because of that, the floor looks bad. Next the customers treat you bad and some of them have made employees cry and you just have to put a smile on and say thanks for coming in have a nice day. Some of them are racist. Management does nothing literally. L.O.D’s play favorites with the part timers and gossip and start rumors that are mean, they also harass some of the part timers which is why people call off all the time because they feel like they aren’t appreciated. The hours suck! And they don’t do any training. I do not joke when I say people tend to quit after about a month or 2. There I LITERALLY NOTHING NICE TO SAY ABOUT GORDMANS PERIOD!!!!!! I wish I could give this zero stars
Pros
No cares what you do
Face Paced and Challenging
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIJanuary 4, 2019
There is a lot about Gordmans to enjoy, like the teamwork and the kind coworkers; but management does not treat their employees with respect and makes it very difficult to advance or acquire a raise.
Cons
Long Hours, Short Breaks
Mediocre
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sioux City, IANovember 26, 2018
With Gordman's you instantly know that it is a subpar shopping experience, and it is the same working there. The management wasn't terrible but they were not over achievers
Pros
Same city where my ex worked
Cons
Everything. Literally everything
Wished I wasn’t a seasonal employee
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJuly 5, 2018
This was by far my favorite job, I loved working for this company but unfortunately I was only hired as a seasonal employee and wasn’t offered a position after. Regardless I definitely would work for Gordmans again. Everyone works as a team and acts like a family. I worked at Gordmans during the holidays, and they actually had a Christmas party and did secret santa for all the employees. I loved the environment working there and is definitely something I hope to find in my next job.
I accepted this position not knowing this company had already filed Bankrupcty,
Account Payable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 2, 2018
Gordmans's worked their A/P department to the bone! We were always 3 to 4 people short and that is why we were over worked. None of the clerks were aware of the Bankruptcy filing until 3 months before closing. However, my department had the most fun and uplifting people I have ever worked with! We still get together on a monthly.
Pros
Good luch at Blue Cross & Blue Shield.
Cons
Bankrupcy!
Very Sloppy and Management was problematic.
Backstock & Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint Charles, MOAugust 28, 2018
A typical day was always full of surprises. The hardest part of the job was the store manager.The most enjoyable part was the customers, the work itself,or the other crew members.
Pros
Friendly fellow associates and discounts.
Cons
Short breaks, pay, management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gordmans. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight