Gordon Food Service Employee Reviews

Found 912 reviews matching the search See all 1,078 reviews
Excellent Customer Service
SALES ASSOCIATE/HEAD CASHIER (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 15, 2019
A typical day at work involved greeting patrons and clients
immediately upon entering the store. I learned to be even more efficient and to make sure the customer experience was number one. The management I worked with at the time of employment was honestly one of the best management teams I've ever worked for and with. As a Head Cashier I was able to meet so many restaurant owners, chefs, food service employees and food truck operators/owners. I mostly enjoyed winning quarterly store contest and our particular store won 5 in a row which was never done. I can honestly say, my contribution of motivating my co workers to achieve the highest level of scores to earn quarterly recognition.
Pros
Small store environment
Cons
Sometimes not enough traffic
Customer Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 15, 2019
Typical day was to start on the road around 7 am, Monday through Friday. Gordon's supplied car and full expenses. Training was structured and supervised. I was taught marketing skills to aid customers to grow their business and improve penetration. My manager treated me fairly and honestly. Gordon's was a great company to work for with a very interesting work environment. The hardest part was learning to work independently while staying within the company structure .
Pros
Great team culture
Cons
driving a sales route
High-Mast Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Kannapolis, NCFebruary 14, 2019
There was great opportunity for advancement. Within one year, pay increased $5 due to promotion and annual raise. Provided paid training and gave me the opportunity to learn.
It was a job.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIFebruary 10, 2019
I loved the management and my co-workers. However, it was just a job to help get me by. During Thanksgiving and Christmas was the only time I actually got hours.
Overall company good, Plant City location very poor
Receiving Lead (Former Employee) –  Plant City, FLJanuary 25, 2019
Upper management in this location likes to have their "buddies" aligned with them. If you speak your mind or try to have an opinion on things, you are dealt with as an outcast and a threat to them. They want to promote their own "puppets" who are nothing more than basic "yes men" with zero authority or power in their role. Upper management will ALWAYS manipulate facts or situations to only benefit them and hold against you.
Pros
good pay and benefits, job field is secure, no lay-offs
Cons
upper management in this location POOR, work/home life is way unbalanced. Cannot speak your mind without consequences.
Productive and fun job with a lot of great people to work alongside
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Holland, OHJanuary 25, 2019
I loved how this company was run and the people that I worked with were amazing. They truly made this job great and gave me memories that I will never forget. The culture here was great because it was a very diverse workplace and there were many different levels of experience.
Pros
Always busy which made time go by very quickly
Cons
Always busy so if you had a long shift you felt like you were running all over the store.
Flexible fun work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Petoskey, MIJanuary 10, 2019
easy obtainable goals for employees with a very flexible schedule fun and face paced work requires lifting and must be able to work independently to succeed
Potential was not as advertised
CDS (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 10, 2019
Much change in the culture and environment as they were trying to establish themselves in Texas. Lots of downsizing continues to occur creating an "am I next" mentality,
Great Place To Working At.
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNJanuary 8, 2019
It was a great first job experience, although there was some thing I didnt like about it I still kind of enjoyed workin there and starting out there as a first job opportunity.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Unorganized Schedule
Lack of accountability
Stocker/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  South Euclid, OHJanuary 7, 2019
Workers and managers were placing blame on others when a task is not done. Pointing fingers leading to people being fired. The work environment was bland.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Accountability
Not terrible.
General Service Floor Rep (Former Employee) –  Cascade, MIJanuary 6, 2019
Was let go after almost two years of employment for dubious and unfair reasons. The management has a tendency to be harsh and rarely understands or empathizes with the issues of the floor staff. That being said, the workplace culture among my coworkers was fantastic and I made many phenomenal friends among both my fellow staff and customers.
Warehouse Selector (Current Employee) –  Brighton, MIJanuary 5, 2019
Working here has far more pros than cons. As a selector, your typical day is going to be about 10 hours of running around and picking cases. Although it sounds terrible, it’s really not that bad. Management does a really good job at taking care of their employees as long as we have a good attitude and communicate our issues.
Pros
Pay, coworkers, management, and occasional free lunches.
Cons
Long hours, not a lot of time at home.
Great for teens and students, not for adults. No Hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 5, 2019
All smiles and friendly company, but they're going to work you. They'll promote activities and parties for competition among stores, but won't give your hours. Some weeks you will receive 20 hours, majority of the weeks you will receive 10 hours or LESS. This company will hurt your pockets. If you have bills or a family, this job isn't for you. You will have to learn all sections of the store, Cooler, Dry, Register and Freezer. You will have to complete trucks on your OWN, in the little time they give you. Yes, you will have to lift #10 cans, Bag in a box of soda's, and large flour bags. You will question yourself on why your working here. Great profit sharing. My profit sharing nearly exceeded the pay check amount I made in a year; that's sad. They have awards at the end of the year and will show appreciation, but the hours will still be a problem. Whether your one of the top performers or not, this position will hurt you financially. They have no problem scheduling you for a 3 or 4 hour shift. They will be your friends and will make you feel like you belong. You will sweat, you will get comfortable, build relationships, learn new things, but you will find yourself looking for another job. Turnover rate is really high. Students should definitely apply. They will work with your schedule.
Pros
Employee Discount, Friendly Staff, Profit Sharing
Cons
No hours, back breaking working, Slow, No business except for holidays
Great place to work.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Warren, MIJanuary 3, 2019
GFS is an efficiency and friendly company focused on improving their stores as well as giving opportunities to move up in the company. My time at GFS has been good as well as improved my skills with multi tasking, customer service and working with others. Great place for people to work and learn.
face paced, physically straining
Packer shipping department (Current Employee) –  Imperial, PAJanuary 1, 2019
You will need to be in the best shape to advance and keep up. the benefits are amazing. the company as a whole was great. leads and managers should be better for what they do.
It pays the bill
Shipping Packer (Current Employee) –  Springfield, OHDecember 30, 2018
I have been working at GFS warehouse in Springfield for almost 6 years. I do like working here. People are cool and you can have fun. You get along with 90% of the people.

We have bonuses, profit sharing, HSA contribution ($500 to $1000) on behalf of GFS. An average worker gets paid $50k-$55k per year. Bonuses are up to you. The harder you work, the more you get paid. It also depends on the type of job you do. It changes for every job. It pays out the second Thursday of every month. It can go between $200 to $600 dollars after taxes, plus your regular check.

Vacation time is GOOD.
1st year - 1 week off
2nd year - 2 weeks off
5th year - 3 weeks off
8 year - Almost 4 weeks off.

You can add 56 hours of flex time regardless of seniority. Everyone gets them. It will take you till November to accumulate 56 hours of flex time. You can use it as vacation or sick time as you earn them.

Healthcare is GOOD.
As 2019, we can choose from 3 different types of health insurance.
If you are single - It can be extremely affordable and almost for free. A family of 3 - It can go from $40 to $80 per week.

What is wrong with this place?
1) Favoritism to the highest level.
2) Management is not accountable.
3) You can't be realistic and honest around here (bad attitude)
4) Lies, lies, and more lies from supervisors.

Something good?
1) This place is NOT union. You can't seek or form a union!
2) Seniority matters. Everything is based on seniority.

Advancement opportunities?
NO! You need to move to another state to move on.
Remember, there are always people in front
  more... of you due to favoritism.

Everyone works Sunday to Thursday except few departments and shifts. It will be really hard to get a job Monday to Friday from 6 am to 2 pm if you don't have +7 years with the company. Good luck!
At you risk
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 27, 2018
If it fits what you are looking for GO FOR IT!!!! You have to know what it is you want. You have to reach for everything you know you need. You wont know until you GO FOR IT!!!
A place to see if you like retail
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIDecember 27, 2018
Gordon Foods is a small store that I got to unload trucks, sort and stock product to the floor. I would help customers find products and slice meat for my customers.
Pros
I got to know my customers
Cons
There was not a lot of room for advancment.
Fast paced!! Great work environment! And very good pay!
Selector/Picker (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, MDDecember 21, 2018
I used to work for a small business for 4+ years before working at Gordon. I’ve onyl been at Gordon for 4 months and I love what I do. Evryone there gives 110% percent. As a selector it’s definitely a very grueling, and hard working job. You’re ok your feet almost the whole time bending to pick boxes that range in weight for 10+ hours almost everyday. But the work environment is great, benefits are great, and plenty of room to move up in our DC. We make 18 and hour plus incentive pay which basically we have control of how much money we want by how hard we want to work.
Pros
Pay, fun environment
Don’t work here
Selector (Former Employee) –  Springfield, OHDecember 18, 2018
Worst place to work I called out twice and was told that it was ok cause I had family issues and that I was covered obviously wasn’t then I came in and got sick Vomiting a total of four times and was sent home by a supervisor. I told them supervisor that I didn’t wanna leave cause I didn’t wanna lose my job but he said it’s ok it wouldn’t count against me so I went home just to come in the next day to be fired. That is unprofessional and just wrong it’s been nothing but confusion and bull since I started if you thinking bout working here DONT FIND ANOTHER JOB
Pros
Cons
No hours, management sucks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gordon Food Service. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.4Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight