Gordon Food Service Employee Reviews

Amazing Company
Customer Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILAugust 16, 2018
Gordon Food Service was an amazing place to work. The Gordon Family certainly knows how to treat their employees! Work hard, play hard, and make a difference. If you get the opportunity, in any capacity to work for GFS, DO IT!!!
Terrible job good pay
Lift Truck Operator (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, MDAugust 9, 2018
Management is trash here everything is moving backwards and nothing is changing nobody knows how to run the place! terrible life balance working here also due to work schedule
Fast paced environment
Receiver (Former Employee) –  Taunton, MAAugust 9, 2018
Great benefit package and competitive pay. Always work to be done and never work less than 40 hours(unless you wanted to). Lots of staff working together to get things done
Pros
Benefits and pay
Cons
advancement based on seniority not on performance
Safety issues and seeing my family was difficult working 12 to 16 hour days.
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids and BrightonAugust 8, 2018
Little time to see family.

Too many safety issues.

Company very inflexible when it came to scheduling and unwilling to bend for family issues.

Saw too many safety issues where workers were hurried to meet deadlines. Forklifts going too fast and too high in the air. I saw several accidents and a nearly tragic racking collapse.

Just not worth the risks for me.
Pros
Good co-worker s
Cons
Unsafe, long hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 7, 2018
I enjoyed working at GFS. The staff and managers were very nice and helpful. I learned how to organize shelves and displays. I also assisted customers with questions.
Typical grocery retail experience
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Burbank, ILAugust 6, 2018
The typical day consists of basic stocking, cashiering, and customer service. Stores are generally understaffed so take that into consideration also. Pretty middle of the road experience.
Pros
Never really overwhelming
Cons
No benefits and low intro wages
A Typical Day
Assistant Manager Retail (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 6, 2018
A day at Gfs was very regimented. The company is very focused on checklists.

Upper management turned over quite a bit during my tenor. This made priorites and checklists do a 180 within a few months.

My basic focus was to do make sure every item possible was in-stock. Our goal was 99%+. We carried 5000+ items. There were several tools we used to control this.

We began every morning with a spot inventory assigned from the home office. We then would walk all the aisles spot checking items that seemed to have either very high or low inventory levels. I would then adjust accordingly.
290-Shipping Packer (Current Employee) –  Kenosha, WIAugust 4, 2018
This is a great place to work. I have truly loved working here. The company truly cares and looks out for all of its employees. Their idea is if their employees are happy then so will their customers. Proves to be true every day.
Overall Great workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIAugust 1, 2018
Intense, fast pace working days, amazing, yet very professional management, learned various skills, from customer service to placing orders for businesses and precisely counting and maintaining money.
Good workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNAugust 1, 2018
Gordon Food service was a great company but unfortunately there was not a way for me to move up in the company. I am a college student who moves city’s seasonally so it was difficult for them to find a position for me.
Good place to work.
Order Selector (Current Employee) –  Shepherdsville, KYJuly 31, 2018
Get paid to workout.
Hard on the body.
Great benefits and incentives.

Hard to advance.

The harder you work the more money you make. It can be rewarding if you try hard enough.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Bad Management
Transportation Driver (Current Employee) –  Taunton, MAJuly 31, 2018
The company is great to work for the dispatchers are good some better than the others somedays you can work 12/15 hours a day no matter how long it takes you everything needs to be off the truck before the end of your shift. The 2 guys that run the transportation department suck they are 2 good friends that forgot that they were drivers at one point and act like they don't know what goes on out on the road no matter if you break down everything still needs to be delivered they don't want to help the driver if anything happens. I still don't know how Gordon's still has these guys running there company. There losing drivers that has been there for years and the guys that are leaving has been with the company from the beginning to me that is bad for the company. The two friends that are running the company in management are going to close the company's doors and that is sad for a current employee. Like I said it's a good company money is ok. The two MANAGERS SUCK big time.
Pros
Good money Monday thru Friday
Cons
Management Sucks
Pretty Good
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Heath, OHJuly 30, 2018
Worked there for two years and loved it. Learned a lot about customer service and how to handle money transactions. I only left because I kept asking for a set schedule and I never received it. My schedule was all over the place due to the new automatic scheduling. I also had younger people starting out making more than I did
Terminated and no vacation time paid.
Sales and Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Elkhart, INJuly 30, 2018
New upper management and front line manager made the job much more difficult than was it was before. Favoritism was show by manager. After termination I was told that the vacation time and sick time was not going to be paid out. That was over 140 hours earned. After giving the company three years of service this is how they end the employment. The true colors are now shining which is really sad because the company and core values of the company are great.
managers are X drivers
sale service (Former Employee) –  MichiganJuly 27, 2018
They think that they know everything about the routes. Most of them haven't pulled routes in years. All u will hear is how they could get it done faster. They preach safety but really want u to work at you limit and just keep pushing you to run harder. If u decide to work here make sure to work safe and don't let them force u to break DOT rules.
Pros
good pay, nice equipment
Cons
health care is like not having any. they give you time off but it is almost impossible to take it.
Associates are nice
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, OHJuly 26, 2018
Never a set amount of hours. Hardly pay any attention to associates availability. Associates and most of the regular customers are nice to be around. Management doesn't seem to know what they are doing most of the time.
Not enough hours
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 19, 2018
I was only given around 16-19 hours a week. I only got one raise throughout the 3 1/2 years I was there. I wouldn't work there again. One of the managers I worked with was bipolar and it was annoying to deal with.
Pros
Not sure
Cons
Hours
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Lithia Springs, GAJuly 19, 2018
Management was okay. Overall good company to work for. Good people. Good work environment. Excellent benefits. Excellent pay. Vacation time. Paid days off.
Hard work that's easy to be good at
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Pleasant Hills, PAJuly 19, 2018
Fast-paced work environment. You get back exactly what you put into this job: Hard work, self-starting, and reliability are rewarded. I would recommend this company to friends and family.
Inconsistent
Assistant Grocery Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 18, 2018
Corporate partakes in micromanagement which makes it difficult to meet daily business needs, increase sales, and commit to customer engagement. Depending on position the schedule is flexible however there is a high turnover rate due to not being able to advance in positions. Advancement into management is very not accessible, promised but not attainable.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gordon Food Service. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.4Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight