Gordon Food Service
Happiness rating is 60 out of 100

Working at Gordon Food Service: 717 Gordon Food Service Reviews about Pay & Benefits

Clear
3.5Pay & Benefits

Found 717 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,755 reviews

Gordon Food Service insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Fun environment with a great team, little advancement opportunities, poor pay.

I have been here for multiple years and have only really been able to advance laterally. There are very few management positions and the pay is poor compared to other places of similar work. The fellow employees feel more like family and friends than coworkers. The company has decided to get rid of some of the benefits that made the lesser pay worth it in the last few years.

Pros

Flexible schedule, friendly and fun team, acceptable insurance and 401K.

Cons

Very small advancement opportunities, poor pay, tight inner circle of trust that is hard for newcomers to get into.

Hard work good pay for your time

This is a great job if you don’t mind working.One you unload your truck you get to go home.Good equipment and good management.The trucks are loaded good compared to other companies I have worked for.

Pros

Great benefits

Cons

Working in rain

Overall not a bad job

I worked here for only 4 months most of my co workers were nice they gave me two breaks and the pay was decent. The schedule was really flexible which I loved. The reason I quit was because of a manager that was “micro managing” me constantly I Felt very annoyed because it was mostly me he was doing it to.

Pros

Flexible schedule, advancement opportunities, scholarship opportunities

Cons

Short breaks

Pretty decent except for pay

The blackout dates for time off kind are not ideal but are understandable. The management gives you the tools to succeed and have clear expectations of you. Overall not bad, but the pay is on the low end.

Pros

Employee discounts, paid time off for full time and management

Cons

Low pay for entry level

Good starter job

It’s a good work place for someone who’s new to the job world, they have a good discount for the employee and the schedule is flexible enough to work around your schedule

Pros

Discount, Flexible schedule

Cons

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.

High school and college entry level job

This is a good first job for high school/college entry level personnel. They work with you so your hours coincide with your personal life. Sometimes there is way too much work to be done on your shift but there's also days you're finished early. There are slow days and there are super busy days it all depends on the month or season. Management could use a little upgrading. The pay should be determined on skill set level and not a predetermined amount. Full timers get 38 to 40 hours a week with 1/2 hour lunches, full benefits and pretty much a set schedule. In my opinion both full and part timers get a lot of work out on their shoulders when the store has minimal employees which is most of the time.

Pros

Discount on in store merchandise, full time benefits

Cons

Short staffed, seasonal heavy work load, on feet for full shift, common percentages of rude customers

It was ok.

The pay was the best part. Management don't care what you have going om in ya outside life. the benefits was coo to. And if you get injured they still pay.

Good place to work, once you get used to the early mornings and 10-12 hours day it becomes a good routine. Gordon is a good paying food service job and does a way better job at loading the trailers than competitors.

Pros

Good equipment and management

Cons

Early morning routes

good place 2 work

Hard job but the pay and incentives make it worth it. The management team is awesome they are very focused on making you the best worker possible to try and advance you.

Pros

Money/Good Team

Cons

Hard work

Great place

Hard work but great pay and home time. I have been here over a year and they do their best to accommodate any needs. Comes with great benefits and the company really seems to care.

Pros

Great pay

Cons

Hard work

Good money

Good money long hours management sucks training needs to be better I made good money here though I seen lots of management come and go . Gordon cool though

Horrible place to work.

I’ve been here over 10 years and it has gotten worse every single year. New hires get paid .20 cent less then you and management does nothing about it. They say they will have a netting about it and nothing ever gets done. Every department is over worked and understaffed is sad. It used to be a good place to work but it is a absolute nightmare there.

Pros

Insurance.

Cons

Everything.

Awful upper management with decent coworkers

By the end of my time at GFS I was ready to quit on the spot. The upper management (ex. Store Manager and anyone above them are a regular pain to deal with and in general, are horrible people to work for. The pay is not sufficient and you receive no raises until they feel you have earned one. The only real plus side was that you could request a lot of days off and they had very little problems with it. If your someone who needs a job I wouldn't work there. Most managers with a few expectations make you feel that you could be fired at any noment. I've had a district manager say in my presence that if he could he would fire 80% of the people under him

Pros

None. Don't work here unless there's no other option and get out as fast as you can

Cons

Pretty much everything.

Productive and cool place to work ay

Management is cool , the pay is very good and the overall job isn’t bad at all. The hours are pretty good and they treat their employees like family.

Overall great place to start

This job is the first job I’ve had where they actually make you feel like part of the family and appreciate your hard work. They see all the good you do and write everything out, at the end of the year people get awards based on their actions. This is only one of the several great things about this company. The training program at this place is the best out of all other companies, they have a trainer with you for a whole month to ensure you are learning things right. As a selector you are paid extra for hitting production rates. So the harder you work the more you can make. Top selectors can make $400-$700 extra a week on incentive, on top of that you’re already getting a lot of hours and you can volunteer for fridays also. There’s a few downsides to being a selector though. You have to work night shifts and sometimes you feel like all you are doing is sleeping and going to work. This job is physically demanding, you are lifting cases up to 100 pounds constantly all day. You will have less time for social life and family. But other than that if you like to hustle this is the right place.

Pros

Free lunches, management, pay, benefits, business ethics

Cons

Work-life balance, hard labor

Great company

I love working for GFS. Great company, great benefits, great food! Plenty of opportunities for advancement and a huge support team to get you in the role you want to pursue.

Good pay, terrible leadership

Went into job very optimistic. If you don’t become a teachers pet quickly you will go nowhere. The pay is great, but you will work crazy hours doing nothing because of system failures or company not staffing correctly.

Pros

Good pay, good rewards incentive

Cons

Culture, and opportunities for advancement

Great pay

The pay was good, the hours were great. Some routes were better than others but it was a good job with a great work life balance. Better than most places

Pros

Hours

Cons

Management expectations

Started off Strong, over time went downhill

I’ve started off as a selector. Moved up to a loader position and finally got into leadership to help drive performance. My positions as a selector and loader were met with competent and people focused managers. When I was promoted into the lead spot in Coppell, the leadership style was completely different and resembled very little of what I came to know of the Gordon Way.

Pros

Great benefits and competitive pay

Cons

No work/life balance. Senior leadership is selfish and doesn’t take accountability.

Good company to move up the ladder and advancement opportunities. Don’t get caught up in gossip and stay on top of the favoritism. Trucks are fairly new and the trailers are loaded fairly well.

Pros

Benefits, Pay, Weekends off only on local side

Cons

Have to be buddy buddy alot

Gordon Food Service Takes Care Of Their People

Gordon Food Service is a family oriented company and it shows in the way they take care of their people. I have small children and when one of them has been sick or if I have needed off, there is not hesitation and only support when I do need so. They also support taking time off with your family, providing a number of benefits to do so.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gordon Food Service. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 50%
In the Top 50% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Gordon Food Service.
Powered byComparably