Gordon Food Service
Happiness rating is 60 out of 100

Working at Gordon Food Service: 614 Gordon Food Service Reviews about Pay & Benefits

United States1,485 reviews

Clear
3.5Pay & Benefits

Found 614 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,757 reviews

Gordon Food Service insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Fun environment with a great team, little advancement opportunities, poor pay.

I have been here for multiple years and have only really been able to advance laterally. There are very few management positions and the pay is poor compared to other places of similar work. The fellow employees feel more like family and friends than coworkers. The company has decided to get rid of some of the benefits that made the lesser pay worth it in the last few years.

Pros

Flexible schedule, friendly and fun team, acceptable insurance and 401K.

Cons

Very small advancement opportunities, poor pay, tight inner circle of trust that is hard for newcomers to get into.

If you desire a workout and get paid really well then this is for you

Usual start time are between 3am-5am. This job is not for the faint of heart, its very physically demanding. The pay and benefits are absolutely amazing and the customer interactions are really fun, you get to know customers and have relationships in the food industry. You start out at the bottom and everything is based on seniority and you work your way up from there. The culture is awesome and they try there best to take care of your needs and help you in any way they can. Time off is nice and once you put your time in- you get a lot of it. Its a great place to work and get a workout in the meantime.

Pros

Great pay Feel like family Great place to retire

Cons

Very hard work Weird hours from time to time Collect money

Horrible place to work.

This company cares nothing about employees. They don't listen to concerns. Profits before people. They rip off small businesses when they see they can turn a huge profit. No moral standards.

Pros

Cons

Just flat a horrible company. They let the quality people go because their salary gets to high, and promote folks just not ready for the job.

Good place to work hard and be active regardless of the time.

Good place to work if you're very active and want to get paid for itCompetitive pay and great bonuses if you work hard you can make a lot here night shift will make you nocturnal people are great make the job seem like a sport.

Pros

Pay, Bonuses, Co workers

Cons

Barely Time Off, Work Most Holidays, Nocturnal Lifestyle

Great first job!

I was a juicer and enjoyed my job. My schedule was flexible. The management in my store was good, but the district manager was not my favorite and he caused issues at my store. Other than that I loved juicing because you’re always doing something. Juicing is great if you are not strong enough to stock.

Pros

Flexible schedule, guaranteed a break, good work environment

Would you recommend working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Gordon's management team such as human resources are great. The owners care about their employees

I liked the opportunity to earn over 1000 plus us dollars weekly and I liked the schedule because d I kept my Friday and Saturday. very fast pace job.

Pros

Great benefits Company match 100% Company discounts

Cons

Physical demand is too high Long hour days 12 plus Turn over rate

Great job. Good pay.

Good company, good pay. Benefits are good. Retirement is through vanguard, the best option. Compared to job market it’s amongst the top jobs there are, especially for delivery drivers. Home every day. Start in am off in afternoon. Best part of the job. Longevity for delivery drivers very low. Easy job but you will work HARD.

I learned a lot about restaurants and this job actually helped me to overcome social anxiety.

I worked for Gordon Food Service for almost 8 years. I loved it. I was respected because of my work ethic, this job gave me a ton of experience dealing with difficult people.

Pros

Ten percent discount

Cons

Short breaks, favoritism, managers fraternizing with staff

Fantastic Benefits - Great Company

Easy but physical work. It is tough to get customers to understand how the pandemic has effected products in stock. The customers are what make the job fun, but they are also what make it challenging. I have my favorites, The ones I chose to go above and beyond for. The benefits with this company almost make up for the lower wages, other companies can’t compete with the benefits.

Pros

Insurance, Management, Atmosphere

Cons

Have to work weekends, tough to get promoted (they hire more external candidates)

Selector position

In summary, this job is hard. Its physically demanding and this is as much of a factory job as it gets. Long hours and good pay, incentives are decent and other employees and management are great. Highly recommend if you’re young, in shape and are willing to work hard and long hours for a good salary.

Pros

Good pay, benefits

Cons

Long hours, physically demanding

Stable company

Nice people, decent 401k match, pay may not be good compared to other companies but there is job security. Freedom to learn new tech, supporting colleagues

Pros

Job security

Cons

Pay

Just dont

Just don't management treats you like dirt. Constant micromanagement only criticism never praise. Everyday I dredged going in for almost two years. If you want to hate your life go ahead but if u don't then stay away

Pros

Cons

Constant micromanagement

READ BEFORE APPLYING. Full breakdown of working for GFS.

I will break down everything you must know about this job here:Overall: This job is hard on the body, and you will have more overtime than off time. Management does not care to solve or hear any issues. Favoritsm galore. Difficult standards to meet. Faulty equipment on a daily basis. Lets break it down further:Work culture: Toxic. The atmosphere is very negative and draining. Overworked employees are not heard by upper management at all. Instead of correcting issues they will throw pizza parties. Problems are rarely solved in a timely manner. Clear favoritism and hierarchy are established early on.Work/Life Balance: Overtime is insane! They claim a 5 day work week with 8 hour days, but what you get is a 6 day work week with between 7 and 10 hour days. Good luck getting time off, PTO and "flex-time" build up slowly. Switching shifts, times, and positions within the company is near impossible!Benefits: Pay would be fine IF bonuses were available to everyone instead of only being included for the people that reach a certain pallet count. As well if they didn't cut days short when something broke (which is very often) without paying for the whole day. Job security: Grunts like lumpers fired left and right for not meeting high unrealistic standards, or for calling off sick too often (even with a pandemic they will not enforce mask policy in the building or clean anything) yet people higher up like cordinators and supervisors who are repeatedly problematic can stay.Management: Supervisors are decent, any higher management is only worried about cash. Management is so out -

Pros

Okay pay, Long lunch

Cons

Literally everything else, managment, work/life balance, overtime, poor work culture

Stressful work environment

Constantly drained from long hours to have a work life balance. Management is poor. There's lack of communication. And the pay does not equate to the amount of work you do.

Benefits

Cons

Pay and work life balance

If you like minimum supervision and long hours with OK pay. This place is for you

There are a lot of cogs in this machine. You have the delivery drivers, the salesman, and upper management to deal with on a daily basis. They are not always on the same page! You are paid by the Case, and by the mile, Never by the hour. There is no real overtime if you go over 40 hours, it’s Chinese overtime or half-pay for every hour over 40.Management does not like to give consecutive days off, but if you are firm with your request, they will reluctantly agreed to approve two consecutive days off; Even if you have more than enough hours to cover. There is minimal training, but there will be a butt load of videos for you to watch, and take tests on that are hours an hours long, that they expect you to do on your off time. Technically you should be getting paid for it, but I figured out a way. Health insurance coverage is available after 30 days of employment.401(k) is 100% match, up to 4% of the income. And average paycheck for me is anywhere from $14-$1700 a week gross

Pros

The pay

Cons

The hours and physical labor

Productive and Fun place to work long as you have a good crew.

Great place to work I work there nearly 2 years before I left for the Navy. Highly recommended warehouse work with great weekly pay. Dress warm if you’re in the freezer 🥶

Pros

Weekly Pay

Cons

Long Hours

Could be alot better

Hours are unpredictable you always know when you come in but never when you get off. You can come in one day and be off by 2 then the next day having the same exact case count and not get off until 7. Some of the Management are really good but most are just terrible. But insurance is good and it's constant work people always need food so you have the job security as long as you do your job.

Pros

Profit sharing, incentive pay

Cons

Bad management, long hours

Hard work good pay long hours

It is a good job but physically demanding you have to hustle to get incentive it will keep you in shape though overall it's a good job and pays to work hard management is very helpful and appreciate employees

Pros

Good pay

Cons

No home life

Fast paced, long hours, good pay

Work life balance is very lopsided Employees are helpful when you are newHave a long time to reach quota Hours are definitely there if you want them

Pros

Great benefits good pay

Cons

Long hours no set end time

Good pay, awful work/life balance

Working at the distribution center, hourly rate was above fair at the time and bonuses were common. 401k was very generous. However, the work is back breaking, 12 hour days were not uncommon and all opportunities to move up in the company were based on seniority and not merit - wait time to get on the receiving department was 15~ years. Leadership left a lot to be desired as well. Many employees only cared about their own work and cooperation was slim.

Pros

401k, Base Pay, Bonuses, Free Food

Cons

Intensive Labor, Work/Life Balance, Time for Advancement

Physical

If you're are looking for a fast pace job and physical this is the job for you . Requires patience and ability to work under stress . Overall not a bad company to work for

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Sometimes way to physical for one person

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gordon Food Service. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

2.7
InHerSight Score
2.3Personal Development
3.0Career Opportunities
2.9Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight