GORMAN & COMPANY Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
Fast paced environment without direct supervision
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  USAAugust 9, 2013
There is no such thing as a typical day as a manager of an apartment complex. Each day is fast-paced to frenetic at times, juggling deadlines, applicants, residents and their needs, maintenance issues and staff issues.

I have enjoyed having each day, each hour or minute being different and challenging. I have enjoyed utilizing my abilities as a self-starter to manage the day-to-day operations without direct supervision. I have put together a great team that serves the residents, the historic building in which they reside and the Company with excellence; earning A+ ratings with the City and State each year for the past 5 years.

The hardest parts of the job are being on call 24/7 with no back up and being with residents each day, getting to know them and often times knowing the reason why rent is behind. Many times I have to evict someone knowing that some are good people in difficult situations. Wishing I could be compassionate, yet knowing my job requires that an eviction take place. Trying to sleep at night wondering where that mother is bedding down her child after a day in court, etc.

Many times people are very hurt, angry or fearful when I have to press for court action. Many times people have become verbally abusive or threatening. Continuing to remain calm and working to calm someone is mentally, emotionally and physically demanding work. It is hard not to take this job home with me.

The most enjoyable part is that no 2 days are alike. I have learned a myriad of skills in this position. Skills I draw upon daily in my personal life and know I will
  more... use in a new employment position.  less