goTenna Employee Reviews

4.3
Ratings breakdown
Stay away
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 29, 2018
Very chaotic / dramatic work environment with no work / life balance. Most people leave in less than a year due to burn out. This is all entirely unnecessary and is caused by poor management.
Pros
You get paid money (as you would at any job)
Cons
Everything else
Good coworkers & strong product-market fit now ready to scale
Various Roles (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 5, 2018
First place I've worked at where I legit love my coworkers. Everyone is super nice, and I've gotten to know people throughout the company through team lunches and events which gives me a chance to connect with people I don't work with every day (like, say, the engineering team).

The team is still really small (1 to 2-person "departments"), which definitely can mean you go through phases of a too-heavy workload, but the CEO and COO seem to be dedicated to getting out of the hiring backlog (including by hiring a full-time recruiter recently).

Everyone gets equity and I think raises are done fairly. My job description has evolved over the years based on company needs and my own interests/skills which has been a really great growing opportunity for me. I can't imagine leaving any time soon especially given the company is at a really exciting inflection point in terms of revenue and product offerings (including the exciting enterprise/government Pro line that's just starting to ship). I really do believe my equity will be worth some good money some day.
Pros
Team lunches (2x week); unlimited snacks & drinks; ad hoc/flexible WFH policy
Cons
No 401k yet (been told that is coming soon - other benefits are very good though!)
Exciting and inspired – a great workplace!
Vice President, Consumer Marketing (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 28, 2017
goTenna is growing quickly and is a great place to excel if you are a self-motivator and proactive about learning new things and solving problems. As with any startup environment, each day comrpises a range of different to-dos, and there's never a dull moment!
The team at goTenna is engaged and warm, welcoming and fun. Everyone at the company is invested in making workflow and process better, and is also excited about growing a company around technology that can actually make a real difference in the communications ecosystem.
Pros
Light-hearted environment, twice-weekly catered lunches, great team outings, smart, thoughtful co-workers, dedicated management.
Cons
None really!
The Greatest Internship Ever
QA Intern (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 7, 2017
Open and inclusive work environment. The open office environment allows you to be able to know what’s going on. If you ever have any questions or need help, everyone is willing to help. All the workers are very kind and brilliant at what they do.

Working as a QA intern was interesting because I not only tested products in the field, but also did cool things such as soldering. I also learned how to do iOS automation for testing goTenna units.

The management was very easygoing. The new engineering management is very good at planning what needs to get done in a timely and orderly fashion. The QA manager was very insightful, helpful, and challenged me with new topics.

The CEO is very kind and is committed to the success of everyone in the company. She not only works hard but works to build the company as a connected team by planning company evernts. My favorite part of the job was the company event where we went go karting, bowling, and had a full course buffet on a ship on NYC.

Another great part of the job was how committed the workers were willing to share how the product works with a mini presentation by the guy who invented the product. This presentation is another’s part of how welcoming everyone is to having you on the team and helping your to understand the product.
Pros
Free lunch on Wednesdays and Fridays. Also all the free snacks you could ever want.
Cons
Nothing worth mentioning.
Small, committed team working on real technology with a mission
Engineering (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 23, 2017
Small committed team working to decentralize communications through mesh-networking.

I like working here because the team here really cares about what they're building. If you like the idea of really "owning" what you do and can thrive in a sink-or-swim environment of other high achievers, then you'll like it here. If you'd rather take it easy or hide, or don't care about the mission, you will fail/hate it.

My average day is really self-directed with standup meetings in the mornings other ad hoc meetings. The CEO has a really clear vision/mission for the company and has done a good job recently of attracting excellent people to replace weak links. The team doubled in last year and now includes people from Qualcomm, BBN Raytheon, Alcatel, August, Makerbot, Intel etc.

In what affected me most, we had weak engineering leadership until late last year, which led to unnecessary emergencies due to bad planning. New engineering/product managers are excellent and probably best I've ever worked with

First employee has been here for 4+ years; a few left at 3-year mark for personal reasons to California, and there's a handful reaching 2 years - otherwise most people joined within last year like me. I feel like everyone on the team today is the best at what they do.

Oh - great benefits! 100 % of premiums are paid by the company for plans with low/no deductibles which I've never had before.
Pros
Catered lunch 2x week, excellent benefits, great mission, challenging work, really smart coworkers
Cons
Small team means everyone wears many hats (can be a pro!)
Brother - sister co-founders
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 22, 2017
I've never worked in a company where the founders shout at each other in meetings. It's not a healthy environment. They seem to be carrying a lot of baggage from their childhood together.

The CEO should not be allowed to manage people as she has no empathy. She does not want to fail and is driven by that fear; she will blatantly lie to blame everyone else for her own shortcomings.
Pros
Free lunch on Fridays
Cons
Did I mention the CEO?
Creative and Collaborative Work Environment
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 12, 2015
Great coworkers and location. Small and intimate office setting. Relaxed and casual work environment makes you feel at home right away. Interesting to work with a start up. Would recommend to anyone looking for a personable, interesting work experience with a great community.

Minutes from Manhattan on the L-line and right by Bedford street which has cute shops and restaurants.