GoTranscript

GoTranscript Employee Reviews

United States14 reviews
Lots of audio to transcribe, editors mark your work fairly. Audio qualities do vary, but you can select the recording that's easiest for you to transcribe.
Pros
Work in your free time.
Cons
working on files with different dialects, accents, and audio quality
In order to keep working for them, you need an average of 3.6 (from 1 to 5). I got rated with a 3 (terrible audio quality), a 4, and a 4. That's 3.66 last time I checked. They removed me and never paid what I earned...

Audio quality is terrible, and you'll probably hurt your ears. Pay is terrible. Audios last for 10 minutes (this translates into a couple of hours of work in order to comply with all the transcription guidelines), so you're stuck with terrible audio quality for a long time and you can't pause it.

People complain about their transcript quality and transcribers complain about the pay.
Pros
None.
Cons
Unfear management.
Easy job to make some side money. You can work at any time, so it is flexible. It is a job for improvement. You do not need a degree but good English skills.
Pros
Work on your own time
Cons
Wish they paid a little more on these jobs
The audio quality of most of the tapes sent out to freelancers is simply appalling and management shows no interest in either educating its clients or responding intelligently to transcribers' preferences.

The jobs offered are simply not worth doing. Perhaps GoTranscript believes that US $1 or US $2 an hour is worthwhile but frankly it is an insult.The payment system is anything but straightforward and it took several reminders before a bill was settled (despite all jobs being awarded the maximum 5-Star quality).

Something tells me that GoTranscript's business model is bound to sink. Turning the whole thing into a kind of arbitrage operation between clueless customers and slum-dwelling transcribers in The Third World is an unedifying approach and it deserves to fail.
Pros
Location flexibility
Cons
Everything else
It is a great company to work for. It's freelance work so you go at your own pace and don't have to worry about transcribing a certain amount of audio/video files per week to keep your position. They value hard work and accuracy so if you push for those two qualities in your work, you'll get a raise.
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
There is enough time given to complete your work. You can choose any file you want to work on. It's good for begginers. But pay is low, most audios are not clear.
I did three jobs for this company and never got paid. For the first two I received high scores, however the third was so tedious that I received a below average score (their standard is high, above 88% accuracy). These painstaking jobs took me over 2 hours each for less than 10 minute audios.
My typing speed is almost 60wpm and I have always had excellent grammar and spelling skills, which is why I thought this would be a good work-from-home job.

So I would have earned $8.33, but I had $1 deducted for too many mistakes. However, that was unnecessary because since my average score was too low, I lost my transcription rights, and well, apparently, I also lost my rights to get paid!! Does that make any sense? What an unworthy experience.
Pros
work from home
Cons
expect almost no pay
If you are a beginner and want to start working on internet, you can try goTranscript. Pay is decent for third world countries. But if you want to be paid more for your hard work, try something else.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Small payments
I worked for GoTranscript for 3 years. I started off as a transcriber who eventually advanced into becoming an editor once I'd taken the test and passed. Unfortunately, I was demoted and became a transcriber only again. I haven't worked for them since then due to personal issues.
Pros
If you're looking for something just to get your feet wet, this is it.
Cons
The pay isn't the best as a transcriber.
GoTranscript is a great workplace for freelance transcriptionists like me. I work whenever I want. It is very flexible and I have learned a great deal working there.

On a typical day, I get working at 8:00 AM, work on around five to six 10-minute audio files and end the day at around 6:00 PM.

The hardest part of the job is that sometimes the quality of audio files is really poor, difficult to understand and transcribe.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Poor quality of audio files
GoTranscript offers many tasks for freelance duties, audio quality isn't assured but most of it is audible. There are editors who will check the work after and they give high reviews and positive comments. It's a good company to start in a transcription job.
I chose to work for Gotranscript due to it being a very easy, very convenient position for a stay at home parent, such as myself. The pay rate is on par with most other transcription services and the material was very interesting.
Pros
convenient, quick payment, interesting material
Cons
Very low pay
The jobs and tasks were very simple and even educating at times. Really interesting thing to transcribe and it is easy to move up. There is always work to do and you can do it anytime!

But management is horrible, its like it is run by one person and his attitude is terrible. I would recommend the job for those who need extra coins but personally, I would not work for this man again.
Pros
Flexibility, Education, Promotions
Cons
Management, Pay
While transcription doesn't pay a lot unless you're very skilled and fast, it is still a good way to gain some experience and make some extra money. You will gain a huge appreciation for people that do this full-time transcriptionist and editors. The only downside is loading the audio to preview it and finding out someone else already claimed the job and then having to move quickly to claim a job.
Pros
Flexibility to make money and gain experience and TAT
Cons
Having to fight for audio