GoTranscript

Working at GoTranscript: 21 Reviews

United States21 reviews

payworkjobtimetranscriptiongoodhourtranscribe

its good

its ok. easy to get the job. only listen to the audio, write it following the rules they have and answer an easy test. its easy for pocket money. good

Could have been a great fit, but...

I started off well enough at this job. Was averaging less than one dollar per hour, but figured I would get better with more practice. Very happy with the flexibility, and the fact that I could work on my own. First two jobs seemed like good ratings: both over 90%. Then, on my third job, some editor decided to label my work as AI. No further explanation on why they thought that. I was locked out from transcribing any more jobs and not even paid for the first two jobs that were reasonably well done. What a joke of a company.

GoTranscript insights

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Practically a Scam

The pay is absolutely horrible. The standards are completely unreasonable. With 86% accuracy on my VERY FIRST evaluation, I was given a rating of 1 out of 5, immediately rendering me ineligible for future transcriptions. I got was paid less than $4 to transcribe 10 minutes of audio with absolutely horrible audio, spending hours of my time. Don’t waste your time.

Beginner friendly for those who are starting out.

I've started my transcription journey in this company and I can say that I have to owe it to them. They are beginner-friendly for those who have little to no experience in the field. The editors who leave reviews for my work have been extremely helpful for knowing where I should improve myself next.You don't have a minimum amount of work you have to do in a day or a week, hence, they are extremely flexible with work hours. My cons for this company is with the pay. The rates are extremely low for the amount of work you put in. Though I did not find this as a problem, more of a paid training to see what the feel of transcribing is and if it was for me.Overall, I have learned a lot from this company. Recommended to those who are starting out.

Pros

Beginner friendly, remote work, no minimum work needed to be done, easy to get the hang of.

Cons

Pay, audio quality (of most on a bad day).

Fun tasks

I´ve been working as a freelancer for GoTranscrip for a month and I find it to be an easy and entertaining job overall. However, if you live in the United States the pay rate is surprisingly low.

Pros

Interesting audios, flexibility, work at home at any time

Cons

low pay rate

Stay away from Gotranscript

Just a few years ago Gotranscript was a good company to work for (prompt payments and good support). But not anymore... it started to look like a scam. Don't waste your time (2$ per 10 min of a transcription that might take appr. 3 hours of your time).And by the way, you'll not get paid if a few of the tasks you've done, will be evaluated below 3.2. Stay away from this company. There are better opportunities online.

Don't work here!

I'm a full-time Dutch writer, so you could imagine how good I write. I have complied to their rules and transcribed a terrible audio. And guess what, they have rated me 2 stars and they won't pay me for my work. They don't even tell you what you have done wrong.If they do this to everyone, they make a good amount of money. Please guys don't waste your time with this company.

Pros

Cons

They don't pay you!

This is a scam.

In order to keep working for them, you need an average of 3.6 (from 1 to 5). I got rated with a 3 (terrible audio quality), a 4, and a 4. That's 3.66 last time I checked. They removed me and never paid what I earned... Audio quality is terrible, and you'll probably hurt your ears. Pay is terrible. Audios last for 10 minutes (this translates into a couple of hours of work in order to comply with all the transcription guidelines), so you're stuck with terrible audio quality for a long time and you can't pause it. People complain about their transcript quality and transcribers complain about the pay.

Pros

None.

Cons

Unfear management.

Plenty of work available.

Lots of audio to transcribe, editors mark your work fairly. Audio qualities do vary, but you can select the recording that's easiest for you to transcribe.

Pros

Work in your free time.

Cons

working on files with different dialects, accents, and audio quality

Side money, flexible scheduling

Easy job to make some side money. You can work at any time, so it is flexible. It is a job for improvement. You do not need a degree but good English skills.

Pros

Work on your own time

Cons

Wish they paid a little more on these jobs

Occupation therapy, not a real job

The audio quality of most of the tapes sent out to freelancers is simply appalling and management shows no interest in either educating its clients or responding intelligently to transcribers' preferences. The jobs offered are simply not worth doing. Perhaps GoTranscript believes that US $1 or US $2 an hour is worthwhile but frankly it is an insult.The payment system is anything but straightforward and it took several reminders before a bill was settled (despite all jobs being awarded the maximum 5-Star quality). Something tells me that GoTranscript's business model is bound to sink. Turning the whole thing into a kind of arbitrage operation between clueless customers and slum-dwelling transcribers in The Third World is an unedifying approach and it deserves to fail.

Pros

Location flexibility

Cons

Everything else

Work at your own pace, no stress

It is a great company to work for. It's freelance work so you go at your own pace and don't have to worry about transcribing a certain amount of audio/video files per week to keep your position. They value hard work and accuracy so if you push for those two qualities in your work, you'll get a raise.

I love it as my start up

There is enough time given to complete your work. You can choose any file you want to work on. It's good for begginers. But pay is low, most audios are not clear.

This job is a waste of time

I did three jobs for this company and never got paid. For the first two I received high scores, however the third was so tedious that I received a below average score (their standard is high, above 88% accuracy). These painstaking jobs took me over 2 hours each for less than 10 minute audios. My typing speed is almost 60wpm and I have always had excellent grammar and spelling skills, which is why I thought this would be a good work-from-home job. So I would have earned $8.33, but I had $1 deducted for too many mistakes. However, that was unnecessary because since my average score was too low, I lost my transcription rights, and well, apparently, I also lost my rights to get paid!! Does that make any sense? What an unworthy experience.

Pros

work from home

Cons

expect almost no pay

Good for beginners

If you are a beginner and want to start working on internet, you can try goTranscript. Pay is decent for third world countries. But if you want to be paid more for your hard work, try something else.

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Small payments

Transcriptionist/Editor

I worked for GoTranscript for 3 years. I started off as a transcriber who eventually advanced into becoming an editor once I'd taken the test and passed. Unfortunately, I was demoted and became a transcriber only again. I haven't worked for them since then due to personal issues.

Pros

If you're looking for something just to get your feet wet, this is it.

Cons

The pay isn't the best as a transcriber.

Very flexible

GoTranscript is a great workplace for freelance transcriptionists like me. I work whenever I want. It is very flexible and I have learned a great deal working there. On a typical day, I get working at 8:00 AM, work on around five to six 10-minute audio files and end the day at around 6:00 PM. The hardest part of the job is that sometimes the quality of audio files is really poor, difficult to understand and transcribe.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Poor quality of audio files

Offers many tasks and editors give positive feedback.

GoTranscript offers many tasks for freelance duties, audio quality isn't assured but most of it is audible. There are editors who will check the work after and they give high reviews and positive comments. It's a good company to start in a transcription job.

Easy for stay at home parent.

I chose to work for Gotranscript due to it being a very easy, very convenient position for a stay at home parent, such as myself. The pay rate is on par with most other transcription services and the material was very interesting.

Pros

convenient, quick payment, interesting material

Cons

Very low pay

Horrible Management

The jobs and tasks were very simple and even educating at times. Really interesting thing to transcribe and it is easy to move up. There is always work to do and you can do it anytime! But management is horrible, its like it is run by one person and his attitude is terrible. I would recommend the job for those who need extra coins but personally, I would not work for this man again.

Pros

Flexibility, Education, Promotions

Cons

Management, Pay

Good place to gain experience

While transcription doesn't pay a lot unless you're very skilled and fast, it is still a good way to gain some experience and make some extra money. You will gain a huge appreciation for people that do this full-time transcriptionist and editors. The only downside is loading the audio to preview it and finding out someone else already claimed the job and then having to move quickly to claim a job.

Pros

Flexibility to make money and gain experience and TAT

Cons

Having to fight for audio

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GoTranscript. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits