Gourmet Foods International Employee Reviews

Not something I’d consider doing long term.
Order Selector (Current Employee) –  Conroe, TXJune 2, 2019
This Company confuses me everyday. Currently in the process of looking for another/better job. I’ve been here for about 5 months & honestly it’s not working out. The night supervisors are extremely lazy & the only time they help out is if their boss shows up. The coworkers are okay but sometimes we have so many call-ins or people coming late we get behind on easy nights. Sometimes the hours are crazy almost 16 hours & can take a huge toll on your body especially if you drive over 25 mins to & from work everyday. You never know what time you’ll get out it honestly depends on who you work with because some guys want their hours & others just want to hurry & get the job so they can go home. I’m cool with OT but not when it’s over 14 everyday! This place needs better management seriously & it seems like the employees can practically do whatever they want. You work in a cooler all day & the freezer suits they provide are all ripped up. The electric pallet jacks all have problems & it’s not enough for everyone. They’ll tell you in the beginning that you’ll be working 8 hours & can stay for OT if you want but it’s not like that at all, you’ll end up working an additional 8 hours if the people you’re working with are moving slow & it gets very frustrating. You work 5 on 2 off but your off days are spaced apart & it’s not enough time to recover. Thought this place would be better but I don’t think that’s going to happen anytime soon. Can’t wait till I find something better if I didn’t have bills to pay I would’ve quit along time ago!
Pros
Laid back
Great Place To work
Driver (Current Employee) –  Kenosha WisconsinMay 4, 2019
As a driver it’s a great place to work. The money you make is above industry standards. I realize the benefits are lacking. In this industry it changes by the quarter hour. You have to adapt.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Health benefits
This place is a joke!
Worker (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 25, 2019
Management is horrible, no communication, there’s favoritism, so much work for such a small group, you’ll be moved from the position you applied for and moved to doing something else, guys are getting hurt and aren’t certified on the machines, management will provoke you to get angry so you quit, it’s always your fault, There’s guys here who haven’t even gotten a promotion and they’ve been doing the same stuff for over 5 years! Insurance is really garbage
Pros
Cons
Management, work/life balance
2 thumbs up!
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 24, 2019
This company has experienced year after year growth. It has grown in many ways and will forever change its industry. Located in the heart of downtown, what was once a cheese shop, now has blossomed into a full scale distribution center
Unorganized and unsafe
Selector (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WIApril 6, 2019
Starting pay here is good if your have some experience, but their cost of insurance is outrages for what you get. This was definitely the most unorganized place I have ever worked at. There is no hiring process or orientation or even training. Work safety is a huge concern because they have people driving power equipment with no training. I even watched as they would have guys stand on each others forks on a reach truck and go up to the top rack to get product with no harness or anything. WHERE IS OSHA???!!!!!

The process in which they ship is weird. You pick your product in somewhat organized slots then bring it up to a line then pick it again. You have to memorize the box or box labels otherwise it takes forever. I understand it is expensive cheese, but you are doubling down on labor costs and frustration. They turn picking 7,000 cases with 10 guys, to my standard no more than a 5 hour job, into a 11 hour struggle. Of course it would help if everything was ready to pick when you first come in. Instead they have you mess around with making boxes for a hour and half and then they let you start your actual job.

There is defiantly some favoritism going on manager wise. The same people get away with the same stuff everyday and everyday get the easy jobs. The one guy would sit on his phone for an hour after the initially group meeting everyday then disappear going to the "bathroom" 10 times in a 5 hour shift. Give me a break.
I cannot believe they have been around for 50 years because the way this place is run it Is more like 50 days.
Pros
Starting pay
Cons
Feeling I was going to get run over/ see someone plummet from 4 stories at any second, not knowing anything because there is no communication
Very Productive work place!
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXApril 1, 2019
Atmosphere is hectic, work is constant, communication is a must.
Comprehensive knowledge in culinary products and well determined on task mindset has to be represented here.
Pros
Workers monthly reunion
Management is great and try the best to promote within
LOGISTICS MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WIMarch 14, 2019
I was only with the company for a few months and was up for promotion. Plenty of work to be done. Overtime was normally offered. All the managers are there for you
Loved working there
cheese labeler (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 12, 2019
It was hard moving fast but i got used to it, it was fun and easy. It was cold but moving fast helped a lot. People there are nice and helpful, working there was fun.
productive wasn't a plus
Bulk Order puller (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 4, 2019
not a fun place to work,supervisor are very unprofessional and rude.the pay wasn't great for the work you put week after week.work place to crowded.we also was working 6 days aweek
Pros
they gave free lunch for a safe work place
Cons
1 hour break
Good starter position
Customer Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLFebruary 25, 2019
Good place to start. Not a lot of room for advancement. Great place to learn and grow but you will not be able to go further as it is a smaller company.
Pros
Small company
Cons
Small company
GFI is different now from my time there
Warehouse Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 9, 2019
GFI is a great company and I still have friends there. I recently even referred a friend there that got hired. I left for personal reasons then and management that has been relocated. This is a good company, but it is the food trucking business. Hours can be demanding and at all hours. Holidays may not always be available. This company will only continue to grow. If you join, you need to be dedicated, flexible, and willing to work with all departments and levels of the industry.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Dedication to hours and at companys needs is a most regardless of family
Was a very monotone place to work. Not much excitement. Loud tiresome work.
Factory Worker (Former Employee) –  Pasco, WADecember 19, 2018
Didn't like working there. Management was never on hand. Machinery often failed. Lunch breaks we inconsistent. Some pieces of equipment were not available so improvised tools had to be arranged on the fly.
Pros
1 hour lunch
Cons
Parking was far from main building.
Used to be great but now it sucks
Driver (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLDecember 10, 2018
Worked there for 7 years in two different divisions. used to be great. I loved the job, loved the people I worked with but they got new managers who are all shady sneaky and will push you in front of a bus if they have to to get ahead.
Pros
Excellent pay
Cons
Horrible managers and HR department
Great job
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  AtlNovember 20, 2018
Great company. You work hard they will appreciate your effort. Holiday bonus and other perks when you become a salaried supervisor. Great team to work for.
Pros
Free lunch, job security
Cons
Great company
poor environment
Shipping Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXOctober 30, 2018
Poor place to work for everyone dose as they please with no guidance or leadership management to follow. This place is a hostile environment and there is no communication what so ever. A lot of favoritism as well.
Pros
PTO up to 4 weeks
Cons
Poor environment
good place
Pricing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 29, 2018
I liked it but Atlanta was not for me. To long of a drive. It was a great company I loved working there. The people were very kind and nice. Not much room for growth in my position I was in.
Friendly and fun place to work.
Retail (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 27, 2018
Gourmet foods puts in effort to make their employees feel valued and enjoy their work day.
There are many events put on by the company throughout the year.
Great people, but archaic business procedures causes widespread stress, frustration, lost sales, poor work/life balance
Sales (Current Employee) –  Kenosha, WIJuly 17, 2018
Pros: Great people to work with overall. If you like working under very stressful conditions with humor and enthusiasm in a fast-paced, challenging environment, and want to learn about food distribution, this is a great place to get experience. Sales reps are given plenty of autonomy to do their job.

Cons: Mileage reimbursement for all sales positions is shamefully inadequate, in line with IRS year 1973, not 2018. Many sales reps have to pay their entire mileage costs. Management has no time to manage or mentor employees. "Distribution dysfunction" related to warehouse stock and customer deliveries is unnecessarily high for a company that's been in business for 50 years. Repeated pleas from employees asking management to address desperately needed changes to improve distribution issues is largely ignored, often frowned upon. Long working hours are part of the food business, but could be more productive and lucrative here if management was willing to address the same chronic problems that occur daily and lead to customer dissatisfaction, by investing in changing a VERY outdated, archaic business model of procedures, instead of chasing tails and applying bandages to the same daily hemorrhages. Making these changes would increase customer satisfaction, generate higher sales, and commissioned employees would earn the money they worked hard for (when lost due to mistakes) and have a better work-life balance.
Productive and Mission Driven
E-Commerce Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 16, 2018
Serving the customer is always the first priority. GFI goes above and beyond to deliver the best service and highest quality products to its customers. GFI prefers to promote and hire from within where talent is available. I have personally been promoted many times over the years.
A fast pace environment
Factory Worker (Former Employee) –  Greenville, KYJuly 11, 2018
While working at Gourmet Foods I was treated very fairly. I dont agree with the pay, but the overall environment was good. I enjoyed working there a lot.
Pros
benifits
Cons
pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gourmet Foods International. Our community is ready to answer.