Governors State University Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
nice job
Part-time Police officer (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILJuly 20, 2018
Very Management - It was a great place but the communication was poor in the police department and the morale was very low. A lot of officers quit often.
Solid Employer
Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILJuly 4, 2018
Good benefits. Health insurance, FMLA. Four day work week in summer. Flexible hours in many departments. Ability to work around family obligations, Onsite Daycare.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Low moral due to poor administration and many inept supervisors
Great experience
Procurement Office Specialist (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILMay 29, 2018
I enjoyed working for GSU. Being there has helped me reach many of my goals. The work culture is good. I enjoyed the benefits that were packaged together for employees
Pros
great benegits
Cons
Poor supervisors
For the educator in you.
Adjunct Professor Health Administration (Current Employee) –  University Park, ILMay 21, 2018
The adjunct position is a per semester contract. I enjoy teaching and cultivating the healthcare leadership pipeline; this position allows me to achieve this objective while also getting paid. Also the courses are at night so they rarely interfere with a day job. If I take a tenured track position the pay would not be comparable to the corporate world, however, the faculty teaches 10 months out of the year in non administrative roles so this allows them to work on other interests such as research or consulting.
The one downside is that the program has limited on-line courses - my goal is to help them build this platform so to attract more students. The location is in Will county Illinois; so off the beaten path.
Pros
teaching hours
Cons
limited on-line courses and location
Di versed and educational
Project Management (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILMay 8, 2018
Professional diverse environment. time management, independent on going daily task. Di versed setting, fixable. Meeting different type of individuals assisting with major of choose.
Pros
Educational environment
Cons
highly political
Excellent collaborative environment, caring people, community feel
Director for Application Development (Current Employee) –  University Park, ILApril 18, 2018
Excellent place to work, people are friendly and caring. The institution has excellent benefits and cares for its employees.

Management is transparent and listens to its employees. There is a family feel and excellent work-life balance.
Pros
Excellent benefits, gym facilities, parking, tuition.
Cons
Underfunded by state government.
A kindly place to work with children
Substitute Assistant Teacher (Current Employee) –  University Park, ILApril 10, 2018
Teaching faculties and employees are nice at GSU Family Development Center.
Children are multiple levels and lovable. I enjoy the time when I am work with all of them.
Pros
free lunch for all
Cons
poor benefit for sub teachers
Easy job, not a lot of people come in
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Park Forest, IL 60484March 29, 2018
* work included teaching the subject area you were hired for
* I learned that every type of student walks through the door
* Management was good
* workplace culture was great
Pros
easy job, easy hours, easy people to be around
Cons
low pay, no benefits, no hours
Changes were detrimental
Rather not say (Current Employee) –  University Park, ILFebruary 21, 2018
There are many wonderful people at the university. Everyone works hard and is passionate about serving students. Used to be a great place to work, but the culture has changed and State financial issues has made it difficult to bounce back.
Great
Graduate Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILFebruary 17, 2018
I enjoy working at this institution. All of the Professors are extremely knowledgable in their fields of study; the supervisors and deans are always available for support.
Great
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  University Park, IL 60484February 5, 2018
It pretty nice and relaxed. Great people and environment. Truly feels like a second home. Would definitely recommend to everyone. Very diverse environment.
Administration is detroying the university
Professor (Current Employee) –  University Park, ILJanuary 28, 2018
Great faculty. Students are a mixed bunch. Terrible top management. Too much micromanagement. HR and Payroll keep on making mistakes that negatively affect the environment. Faculty have limited resources to keep their courses up-to-date or create new ones. Systems are underused due to bad management. State of Illinois benefits are deceiving. No Social Security. Salaries and benefits are deteriorating too fast.Those who can leave are leaving. Only those who cannot find a job elsewhere or are locked to the locations are staying. New hires are not the best options but few people are willing to come for the salaries offered and the problems they already see they will face.

Phrase: Last one to leave, please turn off the lights.
The college learning environment is great.
Academic Resource Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILJanuary 15, 2018
You will constantly learn something new on this location. You will meet new people daily from all walks of life. Great opportunity to diversify your social skills.
Pros
Learn something new everyday
Cons
Not enough income to make a living
improved technical and communication skills
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 10, 2018
nice
Child Development Associate (Current Employee) –  University Park, ILDecember 11, 2017
nice job no problems nice w9orkplace very happy positive place if you love kids and like to teach your day will go by fast and mostly everyone works as a team its really a great fun place and the kids really enjoy it
good
Nice place
Recruiter Human Resource (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILDecember 8, 2017
GSU is managed by the State of Illinois. I was let go due to the budgetary issues of state government. I planned to stay there as long as possible. I really like the university
Pros
close to home
Cons
Illinois State budget.
Productive Work Environment for Work Study Approved Students
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  University Park, ILNovember 3, 2017
A typical day at work consists of processing paperwork (filing - copying and creating electronic copies and organizing) and taking orders from authorized faculty and staff. The staff is very inviting and the hours are perfect for students whom wish to continue their education and earn money.
Great place to work!
Community Health Intern (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILOctober 31, 2017
I enjoyed my time as a student here and as an intern even more. My supervisor taught us so much on the job I felt like I had learned more there in 3 months then in my entire college career.
Great Work Opportunity
Administrative Assistant I (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILOctober 12, 2017
It was great for me at the time. It was a temporary job for me, but it was enjoyable and I had a great staff around me. I was in what was the Interdisciplinary Studies Office, and I learned a lot of things and handled a lot of files. I really enjoyed helping get students back on track who were returning back to fulfil lifelong dreams
Career Advisor
Career Advisor, Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILSeptember 25, 2017
I provided a service to students and community members who needed assistance with career aspirations. I worked one on one and with groups. I conducted workshops on skills needed for resume development, job search strategies, interviewing techniques and etc.
Pros
It was rewarding to help individuals meet their potential, and the position paid a stipend and all tuition and fees for graduate school.
Cons
This was a temporary position