GPM Investments, LLC Employee Reviews

2.5
Ratings breakdown
meh
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Marne, MIMay 23, 2018
I didnt reallly like the job at all and the management was terrible and no one listened when they were told black mold was in the store and i find that to be silly
Loved my time there for the most part
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Crewe, VAMay 7, 2018
Loved it 95% of the time. Could use more hours in the budget to efficiently run the store so one doesn't do the job of 3. They need to have 0 tolerance for no call, no shows and slow, lazy employees.
Pros
Customers, fellow employees
Cons
No breaks
long hours, low pay, no advancement
Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 4, 2018
only advance if you kiss butt, low pay, long hours, company doesn't take care of employees - probably the reason why they are always short handed not a nice place to work
Worst yet
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gate City, VAMay 3, 2018
the manager was great but the company not protecting a worker when he is threatened by another employee at work is grounds for a lawsuit. but I don't have the money for a lawyer since I was only making roughly 200$ a week. and they promoted a girl who was only working 2 weeks to team leader then to assistant manager
Pros
a job
Cons
no safety they don't work with you and they don't care if you die your replaceable
They change hands so much you never know who to answer to. You always loose vacation DM doesnt even know daily job descriptions
Manager on Duty (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILApril 30, 2018
Always loose vacation cause nobody approves the time you have. Its never a good time, Some managers work 24 hours a day with no break in between District managers says she'll pray for ya. You have to have other stores help you get time off, Some of us haven't had but 3 days off since January. Check stub says you only work 40 hours at a certain rate but we are salary and have to work 52 minimum. I know over half of us pull 60 to 70 a week with n days off.
Excellent
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Spotsylvania, VAApril 23, 2018
This was a good experience and I learned a lot about the expectations of the workplace. Hopefully they liked the work I did and will possibly rehire me in the future.
Run away
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 22, 2018
Terrible upper management.
They do not care about their people.
This company does not provide work/life balance no matter what level you are at.
Do not work for this company!
Stressful
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  NCApril 17, 2018
It's very stressful, the end. You work long hours back to back, they hardly give you any days off, and your lucky to even get some off. It's really stressful
Do not work here.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAApril 8, 2018
District manager is awful. If there was ever a problem you were told to suck it up or get out. My first store manager was amazing and efficient. The woman they brought in to replace her was TERRIBLE!!! I was an assistant manager but more like a glorified cashier.
Pros
Awesome customers.
Cons
Upper managers are terrible
Management is a stessful role at this compnany
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INMarch 26, 2018
Overall was a good place to work up until about seven years ago. Things changed drastically with this company after it was no longer owned by a local business man.
Pros
Fun to work with customers
Cons
Long shifts, some upper management do not look out for best interest of employees, hard to hire people, if nobody shows up for next shift you are on your own
Horrible place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIMarch 22, 2018
Do something better with your life. Don't waste your time in that ridiculous atmosphere. Management is immature and unprofessional. Small setting, you'll feel caged.
Horrible management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Cynthiana, KYMarch 13, 2018
Get treated very horrible. Higher ups are pathetic and don’t help. Get talked about behind your back bad managers bad GMs. I went to for help and got laughed in my face. Made a decision to quit because it’s not something I could put up with anymore.
Pros
Great customers, good pay
Cons
No breaks, bad management, bad higher up
Avoid
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Belvidere, ILMarch 7, 2018
Upper management is terrible, they hire the the most egotistical district managers Who are extremely demanding of they’re managers to the point where they walk out weekly, in turn they can’t keep employees. I’ve never seen a more unprofessional poorly run company.
Pros
Cons
The whole company
Life at the GPM
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAFebruary 27, 2018
If you like being in charge of yourself and determining when and what you will do at specific times throughout your shift, it's a great job. You barely see management if you're night shift unless you are relieving them on your shift and not a fellow cashier. The job is very simple. Clean where designated to clean, upsell whenever possible; treat customers with respect and friendliness and help them find anything they are looking for. I tend to joke with my customers and they take it very well...they have a good sense of humor and are very friendly themselves. The hardest part of job is to keep busy when you've done everything your'e supposed to and to not get bored or complacent. The easiest part is being friendly with the customers and the most enjoyable is definitely the time to relax without pressure from anyone else around you trying to manage you and establishing a nice professional relationship with customers.
Pros
free drinks, coffees and teas
Cons
no lunch breaks...have to eat when you can
Currently
Associate (Current Employee) –  MichiganFebruary 17, 2018
I current work for gpm. They don’t invest in their stores. They don’t care about nothing by money. It’s stressful. Time for me to go. Where I’ll get paid at what I do.
Pros
Free fountain pops
Cons
No safety. No benefits.
Good luck fending for yourself
customer service (Former Employee) –  5400 Revilo RdFebruary 8, 2018
Your training consists of staring at a computer screen for 8 hours and then getting put out on the floor to figure it out. Manager had the flu for 3 weeks, until every employee was sick, and then demanded we come in with a fever. You do not get a lunch break, no one gets a lunch break. I was left alone to run an entire truck stop by myself after day 2. Have been working 6 days a week without any notice before hand. Overall just stay away, its a trap!
Pros
Cons
no lunch, ever.
Tough job
Senior Category Manager (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJanuary 26, 2018
I really enjoyed the people I worked with at GPM. It was the best part of the job. The hours were extremely long at times because we were short handed alot of the time.
Pros
job security
Cons
Managers work 65-85 hours a week.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  SCJanuary 26, 2018
The main problem that this company has is turn over. The job simply requires too much work for the $8 an hour that they give the regular sales associates. They have to work on their own for an entire shift and keep the store scrubbed clean to perfection. As a manager, I realize that a single person cannot handle a customer every 30-45 seconds for the entire shift and still scrub the bathroom, stock the cooler, and front face the items on the shelf. It is impossible to be at two places at once. Upper management, blamed the sales associates and not the circumstances. Because of all of this, the barely-over minimum wage sales associates quickly realize that there are hundred of jobs out there that prove to be an easier way to get that $8.00 an hour.

The turn over rate was a constant problem us managers had to deal with. It did not matter which store in the district did the hiring. An employee would last on average of three months. I did not matter who was hired...they would quit. It did not matter what store that they worked for.

As a manager within an organization dealing with the turnover, I had to work 65 hours on a good week, 75 hours on an average week, 85 hours on a bad week. This is always true for any 4 - 5 managers within the district at any given time. On Fridays, we would all race to call other stores begging to borrow people to cover a shift to get a day off.

As a new manager, you will get $30,000 to $35,000 a year to work on average of 65-75 hours a week. This will be less than what your assistant manager, who gets time off, will make. Your
  more... loved ones will soon be asking you to quit because they never see you.

As a sales associate (cashier), you will get $8.00 to $8.50 an hour to work alone in a moderate to high volume store helping non-stop customers and then be expected to stock, clean, front face, and come in on your day off. You will not like your job.
Pros
Great customers.
Cons
Horrible work / life balance, Low pay compared to similiar jobs, Never seem to get time off to recharge.
Very stressful job. Guaranteed long hours and little help
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJanuary 25, 2018
My store chain was part of group acquisition that happened a couple years ago. I was nervous at first but was excited to start with this new company and spread my wings. I had yearned to advance my career from store manager to district manager and with the previous company I wasn't able to do that due to small business and no advancement opportunities. I have worked 7 days in row for months on end. This company does not seem to care about the people that are out there greeting and being hands on with their customers and stores on a daily basis. I feel like the company needs to quit focusing on buying more stores and focus on the ones they have and make them 100percent. Before we were acquired turnover wasn't low by any means as it is a convenience store but it wasn't this bad. There is no help when short staffed, managers and staff are left to cover all open shifts and this causes stress and poor work ethic and team moral. I wish this company had never acquired my store. I used to love my job now I absolutely hate it. It has become a major stress factor to my work and home life.
Pros
Steady paycheck. Regular customers
Cons
Everything.
Not a great place
Deli Assistant (Former Employee) –  Haysi, VAJanuary 24, 2018
I think the worst part was the district manager. She was hateful and never had anything nice to say about anyone. She shot down any new ideas and was never satisfied with anyone.
Cons
no lunch or breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GPM Investments, LLC. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

1.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight