Grainger Employee Reviews

Found 1,728 reviews matching the search See all 2,083 reviews
Great Place To Work
Distribution Center Associate (Former Employee) –  Patterson, CAMarch 22, 2019
Company driven to employ great people. Great benefits, and Leadership. Make you feel like part of the family. Hardest part of the job was heavy lifting.
Great company years ago
Marketing Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Lake Forest, ILMarch 22, 2019
When I started at Grainger 15-20 years ago there were many talented driven passionate people. I learned many things from them and am very grateful.
With the latest CEO change a great deal of those people either left or were "encouraged" to leave.
It is not the same company it used to be, not sure if that is a good thing or not. My advice is take a Grainger job, learn as much as you can but DO NOT stick around. These days they regularly clean house and you'll end up on the street, no matter how talented or how valuable your contributions. Keep in mind that in Grainger's eyes you and your salary are a number on a spreadsheet. Always keep your resume up to date and be building your network. Have a good backup plan for when the winds at Grainger change, which has been fairly often in the past 2-3 years.
Pros
Fairly decent benefits and PST (Retirement plan). Nice work environment in Lake Forest
Cons
Struggling business with an uncertain future, losing business to a large competitor that rhymes with Shamazon Business
Good company with lastest business practices.
Senior Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAMarch 22, 2019
Solid organization. Work Monday thru Friday 8-5. Fast paced work environment, goal driven. Many employees stay with company over 15 years. They offer continuous training on all new procedures. Good pay and benefit package.
Pros
monday thru friday work week
Cons
Goals can be unrealistic
Great company
Onsite Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLMarch 21, 2019
The best company I ever worked for , great people , team work environment, got to meet lots of people from different companies , the pay was great unfortunately I had to leave for personal reasons , but grainger is a great company to work for
Pros
People, compensation, Pto
Cons
Cant think of any cons only great experience
Bad Management
Inside Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mount Read Blvd, Rochester, NYMarch 19, 2019
The store manager is very directive and wanted to dictate everything that went on. She is very inflexible in balancing work life and personal issues. The store manager had favorites and denied opportunities to anyone who was not a favorite. Employee turnover was huge.
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
Bad Manager
It wasn't the greatest
COF/Warehouse associate (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 18, 2019
They shift managers around so much that you never get the same one longer than 6 months. The turnover rate is ridiculous. They beat their best employees to the ground until they have had enough and quit. If you do good work, you get punished by having to do other peoples work.
Pros
Good profit sharing, wages aren't bad for the industry
Cons
one break, even on 10 hour days. Clueless management.
Very stressful!!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIMarch 18, 2019
You have great benefits, for insurance but can never get off for a "Dr or Dentist appointment, Difficult computer processes and metrics for the job are a joke.
Great Company to work for
SLS & Customer Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Alsip, ILMarch 17, 2019
A typical day at Grainger is busy, I learned great customer service skill thru bi-weekly coaching. Management is great, very diverse workplace. There is no hard part of the job. The most enjoyable part is when I feel I went above to help solve and customer needs. Wow customer.
Fast Paced
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 17, 2019
Grainger has become a very fast paced and competitive work place. They offer competitive salary and benefits. I would recommend Grainger as a good place to work.
Pros
benefits, people
Cons
stressful, competitive
Service Design & Delivery Manager (Current Employee) –  Lake Forest, ILMarch 15, 2019
Flexible hours
Great benefits
Training opportunities
Great people
Average employee time at Grainger is 19 years
Great managers to guide and coach you
Great diversified employees
Productive and fun place to work
Services Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 13, 2019
Excellent company with exceptional benefits.
A typical days consists of showroom sales with some light warehouse work. Management is very laid back with just a few CORE goals to meet.
The hardest part of the job is the lack of advancement opportunities unless you are able to relocate.
The best part of the job is the close relationships built with your coworkers.
Unstable environment
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 12, 2019
Things started off great but gradually the environment began to collapse and it became toxic. The new changes that were implemented ruined the trust that we built with out clients ultimately causing us to lose business.
Sell to the Metrics!
Account Manager - Manufacturing (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHMarch 11, 2019
It doesn't matter if you are consistently making your monthly goal, if you don't have 20 meetings per week you are chastised like a child. If your opps are not closing in a certain amount of time, you are chastised, didn't follow the script, you are chastised.
Management only cares about what your metrics in Salesforce are showing. And don't forget your scripts! You have to sound like all the other people that work at Grainger, drink the koolaid or be gone.
Meanwhile most customers can't stand the company and only do business with them if they have to per contract or no where else to go. Pretty hard to make those 20 appointments if no one wants to do business with you! The competition is fierce and not just from other MRO suppliers but from Amazon and HD Supply where all that matters is the price.
Pros
Lots of training and career development
Cons
no work/life balance at all
Best MRO Company to work for.
Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAMarch 9, 2019
Fast paced work environment with the best Customer Service of any company can offer. Always changing to keep up with technology but need better training programs to match up with real time experiences. Was exposed to many different computer programs in 28 years from Bopics, to Sales Force. In Customer service we had support from all agents across the United States if our on site Manager was not available at that time. We had a very high standard for work place culture and staying current on all training classes. At the end of the day it was satisfying to know you did your best for the customer while supporting the company you worked for.
Pros
ability to interact with all department
Cons
informational meetings canceled or to short
No advancement if you’re black
Associate (Former Employee) –  Minooka, ILMarch 4, 2019
Racist company in Minooka Illinois. If you’re black forget about trying to advance. Management and Human Resources is a joke. Very high turnover rate.
Benefits
Great place to work that will provide invaluable development opportunities
Commercial Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Durango, COMarch 4, 2019
I gained invaluable high volume sales experience in both inside and client facing sales roles at Grainger. At Grainger I learned how to develop and execute strategic plans and create reliable forecasts. I started in a territory as large as 900 small to medium size business's in inside sales and worked my way up to role managing 40 large accounts that were client facing.I have a proven history of overachieving quota and results in a high-growth with in the company in all four years I was in role.

The most important lesson I had attained from Grainger was the importance of the relationships built with your customers, team, and leadership. The leadership and team camaraderie at Grainger are what made me grow and enjoy the job the most. The connections with my customers and the feeling of making their lives easier is what taught me that sales is my passion.
Pros
Development, leadership, and benefits
Cons
Managing a territory in four different states.
Good work environment
WAREHOUSE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMarch 1, 2019
Great workers but management changed their wants and needs depending on the day. Great work environment but to be told something different everyday got old.
Amazing company to work for
Member Services Rep (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZMarch 1, 2019
Absolutely Amazing Company to work for and the Culture is the same all the way across. Grainger looks at not only their customers but also their employees like family and will ever be one of the Greatest companies I have worked for
Pros
Literally Everything
Cons
None can come to mind
Package picker uper
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Simpsonville, SCMarch 1, 2019
Rode around to certain areas of the building to pick up my packages. Also had to put them on a belt to get them shipped off and made sure everything met requirements.
hostile work enviroment
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIMarch 1, 2019
very competitive work place, lots of people released for not meeting goals.
if you are not cutting the boss's grass or plowing their snow your time is limited at Grainger
Pros
confortable work station
Cons
pet worship

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grainger. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight