Grainger Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 1,480 reviews matching the search See all 1,783 reviews
Sourcing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lincolnshire, ILJune 14, 2018
Good place to work.
Friendly people, fear management.
Excellent benefits.
Flexible working schedule available for many positions.
Some departments have been moved abroad.
Pros
Cons
Some departments are moved out of the country
Grainger
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIJune 13, 2018
When you're a standard phone agent you sit on the phone and take call after call with two 10 minute breaks and one 30 minute lunch for the day. It gets very monotonous and they don't give you much leeway once you're clocked in and supposed to be on the phones. It's hard to keep up with the metrics they set for you. The benefits are great and the employees are friendly, but being on the phone and not getting much time off the phone is the hardest part to keep up with.
Temporary Call Center
Customer Service Operator (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAJune 13, 2018
Didn't get to enjoy the job culture as much as I want. Had a short Temporary contract with Grainger. Seems like a great place to work however pay isn't a factor to stay long.
Sales Rep
Inside Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 8, 2018
Grainger is a great company with many opportunities. I was fortunate to learn an in depth sales process with lots of experienced sales professionals. They give you the tools to succeed. An area for improvement would be not to micromanage the matrix and allow more advancement from within.
Genuine Customer Service
Sr. Sales & Customer Relations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIJune 7, 2018
Incoming calls from team members.Take escalated calls from customers.The hardest part is making sure everyone understands change.The most enjoyable part being able to help everyone.
Pros
Pto, Healthcare
Cons
Short breaks, advancement more difficult
Good people i worked with
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Spokane Valley, WAJune 6, 2018
They don't care about customers anymore. It's all about goals and numbers. They would rather get rid of tenured employees and hire inexperienced people for less money while big Whigs get all the perks. Not a goid company to work for.
Interesting place to work
Distribution Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fountain Inn, SCJune 6, 2018
People are nice, but not trustworthy
Training is rushed and unorganized
Heavy focus on production rates
Upper management micromanages
There is no work life balance
Pros
Some of the people are nice
Cons
Work lots of hours and no set end times
Onsite Services
On Site Sevice Consultant (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJune 6, 2018
Towards the end of my 12 years I was traveling between 3k and 4k miles per month. The culture shifted from Local Branch importance to On Site/Online importance. Grainger did afford me a rental car when I would travel overnight to other states which was a bonus. Overall I believe the cultural shift in the way people buy products has made a tough transition for a lot of businesses however, However Grainger worked well within that shift. I loved the people I got to work with, the culture was great, the hardest part was time management when you are driving that much, and you have sometimes 20 stops in a day. I know it is not like that now, but at the time that was the worst.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Remote management.
Excellent company
Sr. Product Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 6, 2018
There was no typical day at Grainger. Every day was a new and exciting experience. They gave me opportunities to travel across the USA and Canada (occasionally on the company airplane) and also to Japan and Germany.
They gave me flexibility to solve problems and do my work.
I learned how to manage inventories and translate Japanese-English to American-English for Product Manuals and brochures.
Hardest part of the job was the long hours (During Hurricane Hugo, I spent three 24-hour days in the office.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the successful introduction of new products.
great opportunity
On Site Services Consultant Inventory Solutions (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 6, 2018
I loved working here and had I not been injured an an auto accident I never would have left. Always opportunities for growth, free online classes for on the job training.
Pros
benefits and pay
My time at Grainger
Technical Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 6, 2018
My time at Grainger was a very positive experience. I do wish the reorganization that is currently ongoing was handled better from a communication and support perspective.
Fun place and good environment
Business System Analyst (Current Employee) –  Lake Forest, ILJune 5, 2018
The typical day involves attending meetings with clients and stakeholders. Moreover, working with the internal technical team explaining them all the requirements and working towards QA testing.
Competitive and focused on numbers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIJune 5, 2018
clock in as you are required to stay within adherence. Stressful, not good in training, fast paced and must like a constant change! Be good on comput
Pros
discounts, great vacation
Cons
competitive, focus on numbers rather than customers, room for advancement but hard to get there
Busy and challenging work.
Senior Sales and Customer Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 5, 2018
Fast paced environment, great team to work with: give and take helping each other. Policies and procedures changing frequently. Flexibility is a must.
Pros
Community minded, vounteer opportunities
Cons
Not enough time given for training and updates.
Great place to work! Management is supportive and the company cares about every element from the inside out.
Virtual Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL/Houston, TXJune 5, 2018
A typical day in the life of a manager at Grainger had a great start! Each and every day all leaders in the organization started their day with having team huddles. What was great about team huddles is you had the ability to start your day with your team and get them motivated to take on the task and probably solve together as a team!

There countless things that I’ve learned at Grainger but one of the biggest learning's has been to be a stronger leader each and every day. I also learned and loved working in the trenches with not only my direct team but with all the teams that needed support. I definitely appreciated learning about the MRO industry through the eyes of the biggest MRO company.

The management team and the CEO down to team leads have been very supportive and collaborative and really care about what’s going on and stick in the trenches with everyone until we all move together.

The hardest part of the job was being downsized. Although, from a business standpoint it was absolutely the right thing to do, from a personal standpoint it’s a bittersweet notion.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the people as well as all the tools and resources available to develop as a leader and develop each team member in a unique way that was tailored for each team member.
Pros
Very collaborative enviroment
Decent place to work
Facilities Procurement Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lake Forest, ILJune 5, 2018
Pretty good work culture. They do their best to make it a good work environment. Pretty relaxed. Casual all week, work from home one day a week. It's a good company
It's becoming less and less customer focused.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  FloridaJune 4, 2018
Unfortunately Grainger is more interested in streamlining their operations than taking care of their customers' needs. Grainger's customers do not have cookie cutter requests but the culture has turned to reading from scripts. It used to be that an employee had to learn about the products being sold but now most complicated calls are transferred to technical support then transferred BACK to an order taker. Too much time on the phone for the customer and too little accountability for the Grainger employee.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Managed towards hitting the numbers not customer satisfaction.
Productive and a fun place to work at
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 3, 2018
Is very challenging sometimes, but that's all most every warehouse job. 8 hours of hard work, with a lunch break, and a few other breaks. Will definitely put you in shape if you are not already in shape. The people I work with are great, it is very diversity in the workplace. Benefits and vacation time is great, the pay is alright. working there for 8 years taught me a lot about team work, leadership, training, driving equipment, and more.
Hard worker
Outbound Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Bordentown, NJJune 3, 2018
I work hard and get along with others and the job was very easy it’s just I wanna grow and better myself I’m married with a family and I’m always opened for advancement
Productive qucik pace
Customer Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Lincolnshire, ILJune 1, 2018
This position was Sales and Customer service, It was an industrial industry and appealed to other companys to advance their sales. The company was well organized
Pros
great benefits
Cons
not much for advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grainger. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

33%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

44%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss