Grand Canyon Education Employee Reviews

Grand Canyon Education
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 16, 2018
Grand Canyon Education is the service provider to Grand Canyon University. I really enjoy my job at GCE and have a great group of people that I work with. I feel like my opinion is heard and my contributions are valued by the management team and my peers.

If you enjoy change, want to work with others who see purpose in their work, then GCE is the place for you.
Pros
Tuition benefits, PTO plan is great!
University Counselor
University Counselor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 23, 2018
Grand Canyon Education has great people you work for, great benefits and is extremely organized. They are dedicated to coaching you and pay well. The culture is wonderful, coworkers are friendly, and always willing to help. However, you have to have the right personality for the job. If you have a background in Sales or Behavioral health counseling, this job will be a good fit. Most of the day is spent cold-calling people and has a business model of sales. The dialing can be monotonous to speak to maybe(if you're new) 1 person the entire day. You have to meet quotas and convince people to attend Grand Canyon University. Leads are from years ago, and most are not interested in pursuing their education, you also have to create your own leads. In reality, it is your own business. You are responsible for enrolling, creating referrals, and getting people to pass their courses. You have to be tough mentally, the job is extremely unpredictable. If you are new they are lenient on not reaching your numbers at first but eventually if you do not perform and reach your numbers you will be let go. Your job security will be dependent on whether you can learn quickly to convince people to enroll at GCU. If you are not the type of person who likes to be on the phone, enjoys sales, or is pressured to hit quotas this will not be the job for you. However, if you have the right personality, are competitive, and like sales, this is definitely a good job to have. I, unfortunately, found out I don't have the personality for this job, I do not like being on phones, also job security is important to  more... me, therefore, the unpredictability is extremely uncomfortable for me. However, I truly do love the people I work with, and the experience I have gained from it so far.  less
Pros
Will pay for your education, the people you work with, work life balance and how organized the company is
Cons
Cutthroat on meeting quotas, must have the right personality for the job
Management has major issues
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 28, 2018
I worked within the Marketing Department as their Marketing Photographer. My advice to anyone viewing the job listing for this position is to think twice. If I had it to do over again I would never have taken the position. To give you an idea of what you can expect... I would be SCHEDULED for 15+ hour days on a regular basis. You might have to come in and shoot a later night event that runs until 9:30 or 10pm, but you would also be scheduled to shoot something at 7 or 8am. All that time in between those bookended shoots you are expected to be there "in case any last minute things pop up". So a good solid 15+ hour day. I once was scheduled to shoot an event that went until 1:30am and my first shoot that day was at 8am with multiple other shoots between the two. That was a 17 hour day. This past June I was SCHEDULED for 82 hours one week. Yes, 82 hours over 7 days straight. You would think they'd then give you some time off the next week... nope. "Flex time does not apply to the photographers" < direct quote from Supervisor. When you stand up for yourself as a human being you will be told things like "you're expected to work longer hours because you don't have kids". The long days are pretty awful and are only made worse by the shape of the office they will have you in... it is an absolute pit that would probably be shut down by the building code enforcement people in the city. Nasty worn out and stained carpet that is musky, burned out electric outlets, bare wires coming out of walls, wall trim that has long since fallen off and revealed the brown glue behind, buzzing off colored  more... fluorescent lighting, random wiffs of sewage smell, and you will have to deal with invasions of ants and the more than occasional roach. Your direct Supervisor who must approve every single thing that involves you will ignore your time sensitive emails pretty much all the time, will torpedo many projects you are given instead of trusting your years of expertise, and will throw you under the bus to her bosses without thinking twice (this part was told to me by several coworkers after they heard I left).

If you're a talented photographer and value yourself skip this place. There are better opportunities in the Phoenix Valley.
Pros
Benefits were satisfactory, nice coworkers.
Cons
poor management, work/life balance is not good
University Counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 26, 2018
Great place to work and competitive wages and incentives. GCU and GCE are great partners and provide a great starting job for people, and also a place to grow.
Student Worker
Jr. Event Planner (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 16, 2018
Working for GCU/GCE is a great way for students to gain experience in their career field and attend events to begin networking. I would suggest looking for a job in one's degree field to aid in getting ahead of the game upon graduation.

Want to know more about Grand Canyon Education?

Ask a question

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grand Canyon Education. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about