Grand Canyon University Employee Reviews

I went to school here.
Canyon Kids Founder and Director (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 19, 2019
Indeed.com it making me write this review without a choice. I'm not happy about this so I am filling the space until I have the 150 characters. Almost! Done.
Sales
University Counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 19, 2019
Typical day of an online University Counselor: Clock in, maybe grab some coffee, put on your head set, take a look to see if there are any new leads, then start dialing away.

This was not my preferred work environment, but some employees are really great at this role.

There is a monthly goal you need to meet for getting students enrolled within your department; was formerly in nursing. If you do not meet your goal, it is a three strikes and you're out sort of thing, so job security is a little fickle.
Grand Canyon has its Pro's and Con's
Low Enrolled Section Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 18, 2019
My time at GCU allowed me to gain a wealth of knowledge in the post secondary education field. I was lucky enough to be a part of a time that was instrumental in the growth of the online side, through system implementation, process streamlining, and policy centralization. My team and my direct supervisors were the main reason I stayed with the company for so long.
Pros
Tuition benefit, above average paid time off, direct supervisors
Cons
Academic Leadership Team, very clicky
Job on campus
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85017March 17, 2019
Job was very slow pace. There was no room for improvement in addition since you are a student you were not allowed to work more than 20 hours a week. Also there was no discount for being a student worker.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Its a wonderful place to work
Lock shop helper (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 13, 2019
Fast pace, no room or time for mistakes , Main mission is to keep everybody happy . Management goal is to keep everyone happy. Treat everyone with respect.
Pros
80 percent free education package for yourself and family
Cons
On Call 7 days a week, lack of personal to complete the daily tasks that need done.
Decent pay and benefits/stressful work environment
Student Services Counselor Advisor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 12, 2019
Working in admissions is definitely a challenge. The employees that work in admissions are very friendly, however, this is essentially a sales job. You will have a quota to meet and the management can tend to put a lot of pressure on their counselors. This position is definitely for a self-motivated and optimistic person.
Pros
Benefits, PTO time, free tuition, decent pay
Cons
Poor management, high stress due to quotas needed
CSET Assistant Review
Calculus & Physics Tutor (Current Employee) –  PhoenixMarch 7, 2019
I greatly appreciated my time at GCU as a CSET assistant, although my time in the position was brief it was a fantastic venture and if given the opportunity to return to the position, I would return to the position.
Pros
Flexible hours, calm work environment, wonderful coworkers
Cons
my time at the job was simply too brief.
Focused Organizational Culture
University Counselor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 5, 2019
As a private Christian university, the school tries to operate within the confines of a non-profit organization which is a value in so many ways. The students are afforded the opportunity to advance in the company beyond the academic path to employment/career path.
Pros
part of university
Cons
distance to pay and expereince to pay ratio
Adjunct Instructor Online
Online Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  OnlineMarch 2, 2019
They give you way too many students in one class then criticize everything you do after they tell you that you are doing a great job. If you have any issues then good luck in getting it resolved. I will never work there again!
Pros
Online
Cons
Lack of Collaboration, Poor Feedback, Lack of Communication
Don’t go, you’ll regret it!
Tech Support (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 1, 2019
This place appears to operate like a cult. Outsiders aren’t welcomed and nothing said is off-limits and shared with everyone. Bad place to work. Only worked there a week!
Cons

Want to know more about Grand Canyon University?

Ask a question
Excellent company to work for! No Regrets!
University Counselor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 27, 2019
Excellent company to work for. they value their employees and the employees make a difference. Servant leadership work style at its best! This is a life-long career. The grass is greenest here!!!
Pros
great team environment and motivated to succeed
Cons
have to be prepared for changes any time
Good place to work for students
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 27, 2019
I was only a library assistant and lived on campus so it was easy to walk to work every day and they were flexible with my class schedule. The people I work with are all very nice and accommodating.
Pros
Good community, professional environment, close to home.
Cons
horrible parking, limited dining options.
Stressful workplace with poor management
Student Services Counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 26, 2019
While Grand Canyon University is a PHENOMENAL company, they excel at overworking their employees and not paying to compensate the other work. I had many issues with my boss that I ended up bringing to his boss's attention. After promising change, nothing happened and no follow up occurred. I was constantly asked to take on other people's work, and after 4 months, I was juggling the workload of someone 2 levels above me. The managers refused to pay me the appropriate compensation and did not lower my workload when I complained of feeling burned out.

Even with great communication and willingness to work toward change, the management will brush you off and give a lot of "sweet talk" to smooth things over. Also, if you choose to work as an online SSC (student services counselor), do not be fooled with the title. You will actually be a collections agent, mostly calling students to get money. If you don't like to sit at a desk while getting screamed at by students all day, DO NOT work here.
Pros
Great training and nice co-workers
Cons
Management, pay, stressful job
Wonderful company
University Enrollment Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 25, 2019
Wonderful place to work. They value their employees. They offer a quality education at an affordable price setting up students for success. I felt valued being apart of helping students find their purpose.
Great place to work!
University Admissions Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 25, 2019
I was a manager within this company/university and I loved every minute of it. I had a fun director to work for and some great employees. I truly do miss working there and the campus was amazing!
Pros
schedule, time off, benefits, culture
Cons
n/a
good working environment
Ground Enrollment Assistant (Former Employee) –  Maricopa County, AZFebruary 25, 2019
growing business within the university. good opportunity to start your career with
A Typical Day at Work
Microbiology & Biology Professor (Science) (Current Employee) –  3300 W Camelback Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85017February 23, 2019
My ideal day at work is a busy day when everyone focuses on accomplishing the job without creating new issues, gets along, has respect, and is helpful and kind to each other.
Pros
Helpfulness and kindness
Cons
Not have enough hours
my job
Event Security Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 20, 2019
Working in security at GCU was an experience. I worked with a great team, and some of the supervisors was great. We covered all of the events on the school campus. The most enjoyable about the job was that we worked in a great atmosphere, and the kids was awesome. The hardest part of the job was dealing with upper management, they was not very supportive toward us.
Pros
The admosphere was great
Cons
I felt that upper managment looked down on us.
ADJUNCT FACULTY (Current Employee) –  OnlineFebruary 18, 2019
As adjunct, the contracts are simple and easy to adhere to. The faculty support is great and they are quick to answer questions and solve problems. I appreciate my employment here
Great college
Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 14, 2019
This was a job I held while attending GCU and they were very thorough and quick in the hiring process. Then when working the job they were always friendly and supportive in whatever you wanted do. They would help you achieve any goal you wanted to achieve.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grand Canyon University. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.2Fairygodboss Score

80%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

60%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss