Grand Canyon University Employee Reviews

Work experience
PRECEPTOR|MENTOR (Former Employee) –  OnlineAugust 18, 2018
As a preceptor, I worked directly with the student and the dissertation chair. I was treated with respect by the dissertation chair and the committee members. It was a fun place to experienced
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Great place to work!
Instructor assistant/grader (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 17, 2018
I love working at GCU, faculty and students are polite and friendly. Being an instructor assistant is really rewarding! Its a nice feeling having a struggling student come to you for tutoring and by the next test they are back on the right track. The school really cares about their students succeeding and proving them with resources and assistance to help.
Pros
Free shaded parking, 401k
Cons
No full time jobs
Fun working environment!
Event Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 11, 2018
I worked as an event security specialist and enjoyed it. The employees really made it fun to go to work. We would handle metal detectors and wands for certain events, and as any customer service job goes, there are occasional grumps who don't want to cooperate with you. Management was great, along with the supervisors. It's an easy job, you just have to pay attention to what you're letting in. The only cons I could think of are working out in the heat at some games, that this is just a part time job, and graduation seasons.
Pros
Great management, he'll work with you if you're upfront and work hard, fun work enviroment, Sometimes free food, Coworkers
Cons
Heat, lack of hours during summer, and graduations
Awesome faith-based university!
Marketing Teacher (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaAugust 6, 2018
As a graduate of and instructor for, Grand Canyon University is probably the best institution of higher learning that I have been a part of. Not only not the school educate in current strategies, philosophies, etc., both student and teacher are encouraged to share and discuss their Christian faith.
Fast-Paced and Fun
Academic Web Services Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85017August 4, 2018
The managers all work with you being a student, and I was able to grow not only as a worker, but as a young adult and as a nursing student. This workplace allowed me to grow.
Adjunct Experience
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 3, 2018
My work has been on-line Adjunct work, Each course was five weeks long with about 25 students per course. Expectations included almost daily participation in the discussion forum and on time delivery of grading. I enjoyed the students and working in the RN/BSN degree program was great.
Unforgiving culture (online)
Online University Counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 2, 2018
It's strictly sales but without the commission. Only thing great is that they pay for your master's and pay is decent other than that you have to meet metrics and goals everyday and monthly. Everyone is under constant stress. New directors run organization like a pyramid scheme. Keep in mind all leadership is from UoP and are only focused on making money.
job with good benefits
Student Advisor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 30, 2018
Was a decent place to work. Good pay and benefits, but the job requirements became somewhat tough to live up to. My manager was very supportive. I would have liked to take my job with me, when i moved, however, i was not able to.
Great team environment and very flexible management
Event Safety Specialist (Current Employee) –  3300 W. Camelback Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85017July 29, 2018
As a part time Event Security Specialist, the hours vary depending on the time of year. The beginning of the school year through graduation season typically promises consistent hours between 30-40 a week. The summer hours are very slow so its a good idea to have a backup plan for the summer months. The team is very energetic and easy to work with. The managers are very flexible as many of the employees as well as myself have had an additional daytime job as a main source of income. You don't necessarily have to have an interest in public safety to excel in this job. Being consistent with the campus policies, an attention to detail, and an ability to be proactive are qualities that brings value in this position. The only downside to this job is the low hourly rate which may sometime not equate with the job duties.
Pros
flexibility, good team environment, energetic campus atmosphere
Cons
hourly rate, out of pocket benefits
Overview
University Development Counselor (Current Employee) –  Camden, NJJuly 25, 2018
work 8-10 hours/day
sales skills needed
time management is a huge part of the job
building relationships with students
developing partnerships
cold calls
enjoyed the flexibility
Good
Military Enrollment Counselor - College of Nursing (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 25, 2018
My overall experience was good. I enjoyed working with students and helping them find the right program that met their needs. I was able to use this experience to find a better position.
Stressful
Military Advisor / Enrollment Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 20, 2018
My day consisted of getting my team ready for their daily round of calling and meeting with student. It was very face paced environment. Not much room for advancement.
One of the Better Companies to Work for in Higher Ed.
University Admissions Counselor I (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 17, 2018
If you are looking for a position in Higher Education I would highly recommend GCU. They pride themselves on their honesty and integrity which plays out in virtually every aspect of the institution's goals and mission. The benefits and pay were more than ample for the position. They truly care about the individual. The only issue was that training was fast-paced and so rapidly changing that It was hard to cram it all into the three short weeks.
Pros
Great company, Honest, Great benefits
Cons
Short Training
Always growing, always busy
Janitorial-Porter/Lead/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 16, 2018
GCU is a great atmosphere to work in and they do the nest they can to take care of their employees. Free education for FTE, focus on mind, body, spirit, and family. Executive team is unique and creative.
Pros
Free education
Cons
Rapid growth
Great co-workers and students!
Instructional Assistant Grand Canyon University (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 15, 2018
The campus is beautiful and the facilities are fantastic! I wish opportunities to advance and raises were a part of my position. Some level of benefits would also be nice.
Good People, Demanding Job
Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJuly 12, 2018
I love GCU for what it stands for. The role of advisor is not for the faint of heart. At the end of the day, it's education sales. That's not personally for me.
Great school to work
Financial Relations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix AzJuly 10, 2018
Grand Canyon University is a great school and company to work for. They have flexible work schedule and tons of amenities and benefits. All the departments are wonderful and would be a great experience.
Pros
Social benefits
Cons
Micro managed
Excellent University
Qualifying Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJuly 9, 2018
I would recommend anyone in the educational field to consider GCU. They are truly heading in the right direction. They offer the appropriate training/coaching to help you be successful.
Upper management was always nice
Full-Time Campus Safety Guard (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 8, 2018
It was a great place to work and the students were always very friendly. The public safety department lacked on giving the proper necessary training to all of its new employees. Management was mostly very nice and understanding as long as you were doing your job and not screwing around. Most enjoyable part of the job was every day was a new day and never the same and always kept you on your toes. Hardest part of the job was having to work 8 plus hours out in the sun directing traffic for all the events.
Pros
fast paced and always something new each day and helping others
Cons
long hours out in the sun, lack of training
Unfortunately a bit unorganized and difficulty to communicate with.
Nurse Practitioner - Adjunct On-Line Faculty (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 5, 2018
The supervisor is difficult to get in touch with, no only for faculty but also for students. While the program is well balanced, it is difficult to communicate with the faculty.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grand Canyon University. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

75%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss