Grand Canyon University Employee Reviews

Work Life Balance, Management
Junior Counselor Supervisor II (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 24, 2018
answer emails, listen to calls, weekly one on ones with my staff, complete call reports, create work schedules, create excel templates for my manager. (she did not know how to create a spreadsheet with formulas)

My manager steals credit, poor self-awareness, she never apologises, never admits that she makes a mistake, no transparency, takes a lot of time off, leaves early, never praises or encourages, creates a culture of distrust and fear, micromanages. Department head is deceptive, manipulative and lacks integrity.
Pros
Working with students, (customers)
Cons
There is a culture of distrust and fear, deceptiveness and manipulation.
Teaching was fun, management was not.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  United StatesSeptember 24, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my time teaching at GCU. The campus community was vibrant, it was exciting, and senior leadership went out of their way to make the faculty feel valued. The problem I had came from low level management. This is the only school I have taught at that had "managers" for their faculty. Good leaders gave their faculty members the benefit of the doubt and were more like mentors and partners. There was a lot of turnover as a result of the bad ones, though. Highly educated and self-sufficient people being micromanaged by someone with exactly the same qualifications was not a good recipe for morale and created a lot of unnecessary stress.
Pros
work life balance, opportunities to present and do research
Cons
micromanagement
Very busy, fast paced - if you can't keep up you'll drown
Marketing Operations Event Planner (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 23, 2018
The marketing department is very fast-paced and busy. It's not for those looking to cruise through the day. From what I've heard from other marketing employees is that the salary is not worth the workload. BUT I think the department is a great place to get experience for 1-2 years. The department has grown a lot over the last few years so there is a disconnect with management and people on the floor, but that is expected in any large company. Overall, none of the managers or directors are mean or unprofessional so that's a plus.
Pros
Free swag
Cons
Not many cons
Fun working environment!
Event Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 11, 2018
I worked as an event security specialist and enjoyed it. The employees really made it fun to go to work. We would handle metal detectors and wands for certain events, and as any customer service job goes, there are occasional grumps who don't want to cooperate with you. Management was great, along with the supervisors. It's an easy job, you just have to pay attention to what you're letting in. The only cons I could think of are working out in the heat at some games, that this is just a part time job, and graduation seasons.
Pros
Great management, he'll work with you if you're upfront and work hard, fun work enviroment, Sometimes free food, Coworkers
Cons
Heat, lack of hours during summer, and graduations
Employee of many Roles
Enrollment Counselor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 15, 2018
I have been at GCU for so long due to my amazing manager. If I did not have my manager I would have left a long time ago. The benefits at GCU do not reflect the Christian values and that is a HUGE reason for my feelings. Like every company there are positives and negatives. My management is amazing.
Pros
tuition benefit, My manager
Cons
healthcare benefits. Infertility benefits are nonexistant
Upper management was always nice
Full-Time Campus Safety Guard (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 8, 2018
It was a great place to work and the students were always very friendly. The public safety department lacked on giving the proper necessary training to all of its new employees. Management was mostly very nice and understanding as long as you were doing your job and not screwing around. Most enjoyable part of the job was every day was a new day and never the same and always kept you on your toes. Hardest part of the job was having to work 8 plus hours out in the sun directing traffic for all the events.
Pros
fast paced and always something new each day and helping others
Cons
long hours out in the sun, lack of training
Fast-Paced Work Environment
department (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 12, 2018
The University keeps growing and with it, so do employment and departmental opportunities. It is a fast paced work environment where you are able to learn a lot and gain experience especially for new graduates.
Pros
great benefits, good compensation, great work culture, good executive management
Cons
bad management in departments
GCU - Military Billing Liaison
MILITARY BILLING LIAISON (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 30, 2018
GCU is a great institution to work for. Great culture and great benefits and work/life balance - especially for those pursuing higher education. Some middle management issues, but overall great institution.
Depends on where you work
Student Service Counselor II (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 26, 2018
GCU has an amazing CEO who has some great views for the growth of the company, the employees and the neighborhood. Unfortunately those views are not always upheld by the managers. GCU can be a great place to work, but it does depend on the department you work in. I worked in online Nursing and as long as you kissed the VP of the divisions butt you stood the opportunity to grow. However if you had your own ideas, or stood up against a wrongful firing than you were quickly on the outside and offered no opportunities.
This all being said outside of online nursing the school is a great place to work for. The benefits are amazing and helping students graduate if a great feeling.
Benefits
Cons
Online Nursing Management
Improving
Nursing instructor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 19, 2018
Overall, the university is a delightful place to work! The College of Nursing, however, leaves much to be desired. High turnover rates and poor management led to poor morale.
Pros
Students
Cons
Culture of demeaning behavior and disrespect within the College of Nursing
Love this company
Student Service Counselor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 6, 2018
I really enjoy working for GCU.
I get to work from home 4/5 days a week. there are other flex schedule options like working 4/10's.
I also get to start early to finish early which allows me to spend more time with my family.
OT is optional.
There is a great work life balance here with generous PTO and PTO accruals. we also get many holidays off and occasionally surprised by half days quarterly.
As far as environment, the division i am in there is a lot of team spirit and it pretty lively.
Pros
Paid education and discounts for immediate family
University Counselor=Sales
University Counselor III (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 6, 2018
This is a sales position. Federal regulations prohibit incentives or raises based on enrollment, but you will be disciplined for not meeting enrollment expectations. Expectations will increase from year to year, whether you want a "promotion" or not.
Pros
Fun environment-literally playing games and dress up, casual dress, great benefits
Cons
management changes formulas for leads/prospects, but still holds employees to same standards. Move up or move out mentality.
Horrible Management
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 19, 2018
Management manipulates QA so they can "legally" fire you when they want you out. Management plays favorites and will even secretly (or try) to train your own replacement behind your back.
Pros
PTO benefits
Cons
Everything else
Great team environment and very flexible management
Event Safety Specialist (Current Employee) –  3300 W. Camelback Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85017July 29, 2018
As a part time Event Security Specialist, the hours vary depending on the time of year. The beginning of the school year through graduation season typically promises consistent hours between 30-40 a week. The summer hours are very slow so its a good idea to have a backup plan for the summer months. The team is very energetic and easy to work with. The managers are very flexible as many of the employees as well as myself have had an additional daytime job as a main source of income. You don't necessarily have to have an interest in public safety to excel in this job. Being consistent with the campus policies, an attention to detail, and an ability to be proactive are qualities that brings value in this position. The only downside to this job is the low hourly rate which may sometime not equate with the job duties.
Pros
flexibility, good team environment, energetic campus atmosphere
Cons
hourly rate, out of pocket benefits
Disneyland of Employers
University Counselor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 16, 2018
GCU is the happiest career I have had. The work life balance they promote, coupled with their desire to see individuals and teams grow is outstanding. Given my particular job, University Counselor, it can be stressful but that is in the nature of the job and not due to the employer.
Pros
Christian life, benefits, pay
Cons
stress
Great Nursing Program
Adjunct Faculty RN to BSN Program (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 13, 2018
Excellent supportive online environment. Faculty development team is knowledgeable and easy to approach. Selection of courses I teach are interesting.
Access to E books, a magnificent Library and data base are a plus. Fast paced 5 week courses.
Pay is low compared to my other adjunct positions 1200 for a 3 credit 5 week course with 16 to 25 students who are paying 45K+ per year tuition. Adjunct are limited to two courses per term.
Pros
Supportive, fast paced
Cons
low wages, no benefits, no chance to advance. linited to two classes per term
One of the Better Companies to Work for in Higher Ed.
University Admissions Counselor I (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 17, 2018
If you are looking for a position in Higher Education I would highly recommend GCU. They pride themselves on their honesty and integrity which plays out in virtually every aspect of the institution's goals and mission. The benefits and pay were more than ample for the position. They truly care about the individual. The only issue was that training was fast-paced and so rapidly changing that It was hard to cram it all into the three short weeks.
Pros
Great company, Honest, Great benefits
Cons
Short Training
This Company is a Joke
University Development Counselor (Former Employee) –  TexasMay 24, 2018
They are disguising a cutthroat sales environment as a University Development Counselor. In Texas, there is pride in state/local colleges ans this newcomer to the area is way more expensive than them. Makes it hard to sell if it's twice as much. They want you to sell the online environment as a convenience....but its all at a price.
Pros
Salary at first
Cons
Work life balance, not really helping students, money mill
Great University
Phoenix Arizona - Doctoral University Counselor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 14, 2018
The leadership was cut throat. It's a great university and the academics are riguous. The admissions department was cut throat sales all day everyday. If you couldn't meet the numbers on a month to month basis you would be fired. Great University and culture but the sales portion was poorly ran.
Great co-workers and students!
Instructional Assistant Grand Canyon University (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 15, 2018
The campus is beautiful and the facilities are fantastic! I wish opportunities to advance and raises were a part of my position. Some level of benefits would also be nice.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grand Canyon University. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight