Grand Canyon University Employee Reviews

Poor Leadership
Student Intake Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 28, 2018
Leadership is poor. Put as much work on you as possible without the tools to complete the tasks. Negative, stressful work environment. Team of 12 diminished to team of 2 due to horrible leadership.
Pros
Great PTO
Cons
Poor Leadership
Teaching was fun, management was not.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  United StatesSeptember 24, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my time teaching at GCU. The campus community was vibrant, it was exciting, and senior leadership went out of their way to make the faculty feel valued. The problem I had came from low level management. This is the only school I have taught at that had "managers" for their faculty. Good leaders gave their faculty members the benefit of the doubt and were more like mentors and partners. There was a lot of turnover as a result of the bad ones, though. Highly educated and self-sufficient people being micromanaged by someone with exactly the same qualifications was not a good recipe for morale and created a lot of unnecessary stress.
Pros
work life balance, opportunities to present and do research
Cons
micromanagement
Very busy, fast paced - if you can't keep up you'll drown
Marketing Operations Event Planner (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 23, 2018
The marketing department is very fast-paced and busy. It's not for those looking to cruise through the day. From what I've heard from other marketing employees is that the salary is not worth the workload. BUT I think the department is a great place to get experience for 1-2 years. The department has grown a lot over the last few years so there is a disconnect with management and people on the floor, but that is expected in any large company. Overall, none of the managers or directors are mean or unprofessional so that's a plus.
Pros
Free swag
Cons
Not many cons
Improving
Nursing instructor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 19, 2018
Overall, the university is a delightful place to work! The College of Nursing, however, leaves much to be desired. High turnover rates and poor management led to poor morale.
Pros
Students
Cons
Culture of demeaning behavior and disrespect within the College of Nursing
m;lm;l
SDC Teacher (Current Employee) –  Aztec, NMSeptember 17, 2018
Nice place to not work out at with no real persons to speak to. Very hard on the work place and moral. Overall a okay place to be at and earn some money.
Good Benefits
Public Safety Officer III (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 15, 2018
Good place to work with good benefits. Multiple areas of work and professions. Good medical benefits. Friendly people and great environment. Great opportunity for furthering your educations as well as your ;oved ones.
Great Nursing Program
Adjunct Faculty RN to BSN Program (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 13, 2018
Excellent supportive online environment. Faculty development team is knowledgeable and easy to approach. Selection of courses I teach are interesting.
Access to E books, a magnificent Library and data base are a plus. Fast paced 5 week courses.
Pay is low compared to my other adjunct positions 1200 for a 3 credit 5 week course with 16 to 25 students who are paying 45K+ per year tuition. Adjunct are limited to two courses per term.
Pros
Supportive, fast paced
Cons
low wages, no benefits, no chance to advance. linited to two classes per term
Great place to be an adjunct professor
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 12, 2018
I truly enjoy teaching at GCU. The campus is beautiful and the staff and other professors are very supportive. I can select the classes I want to teach and I make my own schedule. The flexibility is great. I can also teach using my own techniques as long as I follow the lesson plan and provide the students with the materials necessary to learn.
Na
Team Lead Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 11, 2018
I will be more than happy to answer these questions in person or on the phone. I do not think that indeed is the right place to answer the questions At this time.
GCU Public Safety is a toxic place to work
Public Safety Officer/Campus Safety Guard (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 28, 2018
At the period I worked for GCU Public Safety I witnessed more infractions on employee rights than any other place I have worked for. Managerial and Supervision staff treat their employees like garbage (yelling at them publicly or over the radio, getting in their face, making racist comments) while command staff turns a blind eye and continues to support them. Any complaint or comments made towards these actions are met with retaliatory action upon the complainant or commentator.

The command staff looks down on the Campus Safety Guards, who do all the work and are the true first responders, because they are not GCUPD or came from a PD department, especially if you are over a 34 waist size. They turn a blind eye to the treatment of the guard staff and fully support the managers and supervisors committing these infractions, even when reported to human resources.

The employees and students are the redeeming aspect to this department as they are some of the best people I have work with but unfortunately it is not enough to mitigate the anguish from the rest of the staff. The biggest pro's for GCU in general is the benefits, so if your looking for free schooling and decent health benefits I would try another department besides Public Safety and save yourself the pain and torment.
Pros
Free school, Good Health Benefits, Decent Pay
Cons
Toxic Environment caused by command, managerial and supervision, Pay does not reflect the work put in, Lots of stress due to enviroment
Work here!
Transportation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 23, 2018
I am a student worker at Grand Canyon, and I love it! The management is great and they are very responsive. They make the simplest of jobs seem like a big deal and makes you feel needed.
Interesting classes
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 20, 2018
The classes and the students at Grand Canyon are terrific! I am quick on the computer and understand the Program so I am faster than most at grading. Having an understanding of the campus and resources there is helpful as an instructor.

The pay is low, but if you are looking for an entry level job not bad.
Pros
Interesting classes
Cons
Low pay
Fun and exciting place to work.
Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 20, 2018
A lot of customer service, a fun job but in order to succeed you must really enjoy education and know your product to service your students.
Student/counselor relationship is a must.
Pros
Excellent benefits, holiday bonuses, great pay increases
Cons
Student outreach is not always that great
Horrible Management
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 19, 2018
Management manipulates QA so they can "legally" fire you when they want you out. Management plays favorites and will even secretly (or try) to train your own replacement behind your back.
Pros
PTO benefits
Cons
Everything else
Work experience
PRECEPTOR|MENTOR (Former Employee) –  OnlineAugust 18, 2018
As a preceptor, I worked directly with the student and the dissertation chair. I was treated with respect by the dissertation chair and the committee members. It was a fun place to experienced
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Great place to work!
Instructor assistant/grader (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 17, 2018
I love working at GCU, faculty and students are polite and friendly. Being an instructor assistant is really rewarding! Its a nice feeling having a struggling student come to you for tutoring and by the next test they are back on the right track. The school really cares about their students succeeding and proving them with resources and assistance to help.
Pros
Free shaded parking, 401k
Cons
No full time jobs
Fun working environment!
Event Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 11, 2018
I worked as an event security specialist and enjoyed it. The employees really made it fun to go to work. We would handle metal detectors and wands for certain events, and as any customer service job goes, there are occasional grumps who don't want to cooperate with you. Management was great, along with the supervisors. It's an easy job, you just have to pay attention to what you're letting in. The only cons I could think of are working out in the heat at some games, that this is just a part time job, and graduation seasons.
Pros
Great management, he'll work with you if you're upfront and work hard, fun work enviroment, Sometimes free food, Coworkers
Cons
Heat, lack of hours during summer, and graduations
Terrible
University Counselor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 9, 2018
I was happy the first several years working at GCU. The culture over the last 3 have been terrible. Very stressful, they take things away from you and you feell like a number not a person anymore.
Pros
Money
Cons
No work from home
Awesome faith-based university!
Marketing Teacher (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaAugust 6, 2018
As a graduate of and instructor for, Grand Canyon University is probably the best institution of higher learning that I have been a part of. Not only not the school educate in current strategies, philosophies, etc., both student and teacher are encouraged to share and discuss their Christian faith.
Fast-Paced and Fun
Academic Web Services Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85017August 4, 2018
The managers all work with you being a student, and I was able to grow not only as a worker, but as a young adult and as a nursing student. This workplace allowed me to grow.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grand Canyon University. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight