Grand Home Furnishings Employee Reviews

Great Family Owned Company
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVAugust 12, 2019
As a third generation family owned company, Grand has a deep tradition of service that is unwavering. The commitment to employees, customers and the communities they serve is unmatched. In return for providing opportunity to be the best at what you do, they only ask that you work towards that goal.
Good Company
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Johnson City, TNAugust 2, 2019
It’s a stable company & good management for the most part.
Healthcare & benefits are good except they don’t match the 401k.
The sales pay hasn’t changed in 20 years & are under paid in current market.
Can't make a living wage.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJuly 14, 2019
Fun to work there when busy but business had gotten slower and slower with each passing year, so slow it made for really long days standing on your feet that you could hardly stand it.
If You want to make money that is not the place. It seems anytime there are new hires, they do not stay once they see the traffic coming in is so low.
On the days that you do get busy (which are few and far between) it is fun interacting with the customer and knowing you helped them choose something they will enjoy for a while.
A lot of the sales staff have some type of sideline to make extra money because you cannot rely on this job alone.
A step back in time.
Information Technology specialist is a Specialist (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJuly 3, 2019
Most of the equipment you will work on is outdated, ie thin clients still running windows xp. Training is unheard of, you are thrown in the deep end after a a week of orientation.
Pros
Some people outside of the IT department were really great.
Cons
Spineless management, old equipment, zero OJT, more travel than advertised, working at the owner's homes om their personal home equipment to install personal
Great work experience
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJuly 2, 2019
I loved my job I work with good people who help me if need be.
I worked hard communicated well
Exceed my own expectations I build hands on skill fixing couches dressers tables chester's any thing we had I'm store we learned to fix
Archaic business model and fear based “leadership”/ownership.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJune 10, 2019
Work here if you:
-Enjoy standing
-Hate your personal life
-Think it’s fair to sale $350k a year and only make $35k
-Enjoy pretentious ownership (“management” instills fear in staff when ownership comes to town; ownership acts as though it’s a privilege for you to be in their presence) I worked there during undergrad and had only experienced the kind of demeaning attitudes towards staff, I experienced during my tenure here, at one other place; when I was a 17-year-old “cart-boy” at an exclusive country club.
-Enjoy working every holiday, minus Christmas and Thanksgiving day
-A culture that inherently promotes dishonesty, unethical sales practices, and “backstabbing”.
Pros
In my opinion, it still beats working in a manual labor job or the food industry.
Cons
The trainers at the week-long training seminar in Roanoke, (pun intended)
Lots of great people. That’s about it.
Salesman (Current Employee) –  VirginiaMay 29, 2019
Every other sales person I work with is great, and they genuinely care about and watch out for one another. The management at the store level seems to be fairly incompetent. The corporate level folks are very pleasant and mean well but they don’t know what’s going on at the stores. The commission structure is great in theory but with a lack of foot traffic (which is the case at stores not in bigger cities) it’s wholly unrealistic. Sometimes you’ll luck out and hit a big commission a couple months, but then you’ll be in the hole for a couple months.
Pros
Great people, free drinks, flexible scheduling
Cons
Commission structure, lack of management support
Love this company
Design Consultant (Current Employee) –  Lewisburg, WVMay 18, 2019
I love working for this company. The only reason I have started to look for a new job is a drop in business. I love the flexibility and work schedule. If business is slow, it hurts our check since we are basically commission based.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Commission based, slow business occasionally
good place to work
Delivery helper (Current Employee) –  VirginiaOctober 21, 2018
I enjoy working at grand becaus they people are easy to get along with and the hours are pretty decent, I have made many new friends since I started working there.
Pros
Friends and decent benefits
Cons
Not paid overtime, can be stressful and hard on the body
Good place and environment to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VASeptember 12, 2018
If the pay was right, this would be a pretty good job. Some of other salespeople will try to get your customers and not give you credit. The company managers are usually quite helpful and friendly.
Why?
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Christiansburg, VAAugust 27, 2018
I like it, just trying to make extra money. Commission sales can be stressful so am just wanting to make some extra money for the slow times. You never know what can happen.
Great work place
Driver (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAAugust 20, 2018
Grand is a great place to work for just not enough pay for what is required for the job. Great management and great work environment. I recommend this job for anyone looking for decent manual labor and decent pay starting out.
business minded
Sales Associate, Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Valley View, VA, Tanglewood, VAAugust 20, 2018
A company that has been in business over 100 years. Full commission for sales associates. Some of the business processes are dated, as is the DOS co.puter system. Grand is tryi g to compete with online sales soon.
Pros
opportunity to advance
Cons
no matching for 401k. bonuses may be lowet than in the past.
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAAugust 5, 2018
The job is hard need to be in good safe be able to life over 100 pounds by yourself and pay attention to your stranding so you don't damage anything.
Nice people but management awful
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bristol, VAJuly 20, 2018
Very difficult atmosphere. Store Managers are mediocre with no concern for their employees. You are constantly having to watch your back It is in your best interest to trust NO ONE and to try and “lay low” . No chance at all for advancement. Hours are extremely long.
Pros
Free drinks. Christmas bonus. We are allowed to sit down unless we have a customer
Cons
Long hours. No foot traffic means no pay.
Great environment
Outside Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAJune 18, 2018
Working for Grand is great. The workload is fairly predictable, co-workers tend to be great, and management doesn't bother you so long as you complete your work. There are periodic perks provided by corporate and/or vendors which tends to brighten everyone's day. Although a cynic might say "it's just another furniture company," I would have to disagree; I believe management will go above and beyond for its customers and its employees. Don't expect to make a lot of money unless you're in management or great at sales.
Productive workplace and fun sometime
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMarch 10, 2018
In a regular day at work we stayed working all day besides on our break. I learned how to unload and load trucks. The hardest part of the job was we u had to move the furniture from the truck to unload it. The enjoyable part of the job was when we listen to music and unload truck.
Family Based Facility
Front Desk Clerk/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAFebruary 21, 2018
Its a great place to work, its a very family oriented place but it is very understaffed, its a very hands on place and customer service oriented. The hardest part is handling customers who can get very hostile when it comes to furniture
Pros
christmas bonus, holiday days off
Cons
short breaks, low pay grade
horrible work place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Wise, VADecember 4, 2017
I hated this place, management was awlful...horrible training. a kid was the trainer herself. a lot of harassment goes on. its not a good place to work.
Pros
Cons
everything sucked
Great company!
Store Decorator (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VANovember 11, 2017
Grand Home Furnishings is a family owned company that cares about their employees. The stores are beautiful and the people are kind. I was treated well.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grand Home Furnishings. Our community is ready to answer.