Grand Island Express Employee Reviews

low pay and miles
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NEFebruary 5, 2018
48 state operations they want you to use secondary roads they hauled a lot of meat loads, you were constantly sitting around for loads then had to drive like crazy to make delivery appointments
Pros
decent equipment
Cons
Na
Not an Ideal Employer
Title (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NEOctober 5, 2017
You need to be in the good crowd to work here. They pay is low for the amount of responsibility that is required of employees. Management doesn't deal with issues that arise. They are more concerned of making sure their own agendas are met.
Cons
Management, Compensation, Benefits Package, No Balance, Unrealistic Expectations
not a bad place
Otr Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NEJuly 16, 2017
slow trucks with e-logs. Most of the trucks were older and in need of care. Plenty of miles but many live loads and unloads. High degree of micro management
Good old boy network
OTR Driver (Current Employee) –  Grand Island, NEJune 12, 2017
Been with the company for over a year and have more than 15 years experiance in trucking. Pay base is low for experiance level. Newer equiptment miles can be good if you are in the good old boy network. Hometime very poor they give the longer miles to the good old boys leaving low miles for the rest and places that delay you for most of the day. Maybe 3 days off a month and still they call you on home time wanting you to cover yet another low load. Office staff of very freindly but driver managers and backhaul personnel are not very friendly only care about getting their loads moved.
Pros
Newer equiptment
Cons
Poor pay, Poor hometime
Enjoyable
OTR Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NEJune 10, 2017
Enjoyable place to work. Considers family life and home time. Lots of places to see and most of the employees are friendly and easy to get along with. Dispatcher was great at accommodating driver.
Pros
good equipment
Best Fleet to Drive For titles well deserved
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NEMay 19, 2017
I drove for them for 10 years. I would still be there but for a sudden illness that left me unable to pass DoT physical. It is a family owned company, and they treat you like family. If you need to get home, they get you home. Very flexible dispatch. Choice of outbound runs. Late model equipment. Who ever heard of being home twice / week and getting 3000 miles/wk at the same time? I probably could have made a few pennies / mile more at another company, but would not have had the flexibility, miles and hometime.
Pros
Hometime, Miles, Flexible dispatch
Cons
Safety department a bit too Big Brotherish for my taste
Great place to drive for very family oriented
Professional Driver (Former Employee) –  NebraskaMay 1, 2017
Amazing company to drive for very family oriented. Great dispatchers. The company is very responsive to the needs of drivers. Fantastic home time. Great miles.
Pros
Great equipment great dispatchers
Cons
I wouldn't recommend working for the shop.
Service Writer (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NEMarch 28, 2016
I believe the shop needs to be restructured from top to bottom.
They way the owners take care of their employees is very nice. They are very generous on food days and providing outside events.
Pros
Hour lunches
Cons
Work longer
All the office staff was good to work for.
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEFebruary 12, 2016
Good company to work for but they cut costs where I feel they were not gaining anything. You spent 5 hours of town driving to avoid toll roads.Milage was about the same but you lost a lot of time.
Pros
Shop made requested repairs without arguing
Cons
Away from home to much
Excellent Company - Well Ahead of The Curve
OTR driver and then night dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Grand Island, NEAugust 15, 2014
GIE required elogs long before the Feds did. Their Fleet managers were re-trained to dispatch legal and by the book. I know, FOR A FACT - the two negative reviews for this company were fabricated. I have the documentation concerning the guy who tore up the rear end of his truck and then quit when confronted about it. I drove for GIE for a year prior to being made their night dispatcher - I was NEVER ONCE hit with a 25.00 fine. Not once - so that claim is pure BS, too. GIE is the perfect balance between working and home-time. The fleet managers work VERY hard to make sure a driver pulls his 34 hour restarts AT HOME and not sitting somewhere out on the road. This effort to get a driver home sometimes results in lower than desired miles. But it's YOUR choice. Do you want to be home, or do you want a higher income? I have NEVER seen a company where the driver is more IN CONTROL of their career than here at GIE. Once you learn the ropes, you get to tell THEM what you want to do. It's the only company I have EVER driven for where the driver is encouraged to call in for a preplan days in advance!
Pros
Home time is spent at home.
Cons
Outbound meat loads are scheduled tight.
Escrow Fund, Cheated & Lied to
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NEJanuary 3, 2014
I gave my two week notice back in December for an opportunity to make more money in the oil fields. GI deducts $25 per paycheck and deposits it into an Escrow fund which is to be returned 30 days after an employee quits. That is if an employee does not have any preventable breakdowns. Which I made sure to prevent.

I called GI to find out why my escrow had been not deposited into my bank account. Each employee gave me the run around and stated that they did not know. I later received an email saying that I would not be refunded the $500 because the "truck rear end went out due to engaging the power divider while the rear axle was spinning". I know for a fact that this was not true! They straight out lied to me!

I called the shop for more information and they said that they were not aware of that issue. I later received a call from the shop manager who stated that it was "not the truck rear end" and spoke to me in jargon. He used technical terms to describe what occurred and did not give a straight answer. Which one is it? They had enough time to make up another lie.

I feel cheated and betrayed. Before today, I would have recommended them. This is what I get for giving a two week notice.

In the end, I told them that they can keep the $500! There was no way of getting around them. It was only their word against mine. They had no intention of returning my money.

GI Express lied to me in order to pocket my $500.

I would not recommend GI Express.
Cons
Was lied to, Cheated out of $500
Not a good place to work by former employee
Class-A OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NESeptember 17, 2013
Forced to drive, by dispatch manager, while on 10-hour break. $25 company fines for every little thing. Hated this place.
Pros
Cons
Poor equipment, poor dispatcher, poor mgmt.
A nice Company to work for.a
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NEDecember 4, 2012
A typical day was driving your hours you planned with no problems, when you've stop for rest you had enough time to do what you had to do. Management worked with you, to see you have everything you needed. The co-workers were easy to get along with. There wasn't a hard time driving for this Company.
Pros
everything about company was good.
Cons
nothing bad to say.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grand Island Express. Our community is ready to answer.

Grand Island Express Reviews by Location