Grand Lux Cafe Employee Reviews

If you like being taken advantage of, this place is just for you.
Hostess, Cashier, baker (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 18, 2018
You'll be forced to suck up your dignity and slave time and more time away. they favor servers over front of house. They favor people that have worked longer than any new hire. You'll be ridiculed behind closed doors should you show poor advancement. They are quick to terminate without any cause. Should you have any personal issues you have to fight your way with ANY manager to get compensation. General manager is quick to take advantage of you and your personal gifts. They will advertise multiple positions open in the restaurant and not give you a proper pay raise. The managers will befriend you on a personal level then shut you down when "legal" matters arise. Working here is like chasing a purple dragon. You'll never catch it. They will use you until they cannot use you anymore. And don't ever try to defend yourself because they will bully and belittle you to their hearts content.
Pros
As a new hire they will schedule you a fair amount of hours.
Cons
Favoritism, "Free" lunches come out of your paycheck regardless, Managers are unprofessional and do not care, working place is disgusting, you'll be selling old food if you're hired within the position, rude clientele out the a55, over worked and no recognition to show for it.
intense fast paced work with a good team of co workers
Restaurant Server, Line Cook, Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJNovember 6, 2018
At the Grand Lux Cafe a day can go either way depending on the flow of customers that come in and depending on the day as well. Meaning your day can be very stressful and face paced while on the other hand some shifts are very smooth and easy to work through.
Some of the things that I've learned at the Grand Lux Cafe would consist of many things such as , time management, how to interact with guest to fulfill their dinning experience,working under stressful conditions while being able to execute and perform to my best ability, and maintaining a clean work space along with following sanitation guidelines for cooking and preparing food.
Pros
flexible schedule, discounted food, good pay/good tips, good management team
Cons
little to no breaks at all, little oppurtunity to advance and move up
Nice place with great workers
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Paramus, NJNovember 2, 2018
A typical day at grand lux would be getting hit with a few orders throughout the day. Management is great, very fun and outgoing. Hardest part of the job is getting busy but not having the supplies. The most enjoyable is seeing the reviews and seeing people smiling and nodding while they eat.
My opinion
Paramus - DishWasher/ Prep Cook/ Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJOctober 28, 2018
This job had changed my life and I wish I can go back but my time at the place you will feel like home it is not just a regular work place once you are hired you are apart of the family everyone will have your back no matter what
Pros
Great managers, great restraurant team and more
Cons
Days you want off you won’t be able to unless you have a reason
Fun workplace
Server (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 23, 2018
Great food, fast paced, great clientele. Hardest part, speed of service from the bar. I learned to wait tables again. I enjoyed it very much. Knowing that I had a lot of return clientele.
Pros
free lunch, great management
Cons
no breaks
It was amazing to work here
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Aventura, FLOctober 18, 2018
I loved working here, the people, my coworkers, my managers. It was one big happy family, everyone had love for each other and made sure we were okay. I would tell everyone to work here, they give raises every 3 month or so (if you deserve it)
Pros
everything about this place is a pro, no complaints
Cons
it gets SUPER busy where the whole restaurant is packed
Highly organized work environment.
Manager (Former Employee) –  FloridaOctober 15, 2018
Very professional environment.
Work with the very best in your field.
High expectations.
Very specific goals. No gray areas. Only right or wrong.
Excellent Leadership.
Pros
great food
Cons
Very specific goal. No gray areas. Only right or wrong.
The first people I met were extremely unprofessional and the building was torn down
Host (Former Employee) –  Park Meadows, COOctober 14, 2018
I don't need to speak much about this, the employees were smoking in the back hallways and having us do the work while they did what they wanted to because they were in relationships at work
Pros
Cons
many
Friendly enviornment.
Food server (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 9, 2018
We tip out the runners, bussers and the bar. Management is friendly and they will work with your schedule, specially if you have a 2nd job. Friendly staff.
Pros
They work with your schedule
Cons
Nobody is full time but management
Good workplace overall
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYSeptember 26, 2018
Needs more organized management. People are fun to work with but lack teamwork. Food is delicious and service is great. Ultimate guest satisfaction is their highest
priority
Pros
Discounted food
Cons
Money
Good serving job
Server (Current Employee) –  Westbury, NYSeptember 26, 2018
Finer dining experience. Good quality food and servers are trained in a 2 week class then graded in order to pass. Tips are usually good because of the location.
very stressful
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Sunrise, FLSeptember 25, 2018
My first job was at a restaurant, but it was nothing compared to this. For me it is extremely stressful here on busy days. Extremely. People expect A LOT from you here, the guest, the managers, the servers, and being a hostess you have to deal with everyone. Sometimes it is very unfair. On slow days there's really not much to do so i end up working about 2 or 3 hours as a hostess, sometimes even 1 hour 1/2. I wouldn't recommend it. The management is horrible. Example: I've been trying to do something other than being a hostess, I wanna be more productive, so I've been wanting to become a food runner and after that i would like to become a server in the future. I've mentioned this to the same manager three times and he has said the same thing "there has to be a server class". the first time i asked; out of no where there was a server class and we got new servers. I was never informed. The second time I asked; I was told I would be spoken to and again "there has to be a server class, and you just missed it". Nothing happened. The third time I asked; same thing. Also a server class did happen, I wasn't informed AGAIN and they had new food runners. I have informed other managers about my desire to move up, still nothing has happened. I had started studying the new items that were gonna be added to the menu but I started to realize what was going on. Why am I gonna put the effort into something when I am not given the opportunity? When I am oblivious to them? Managers say they wanna see us move up, they wanna see you do more, and I have the desire to do that so why not give me the  more... chance to do it? Also I had quite the encounter with one of the managers. I was basically told I was at fault for him getting yelled at by a guest, it was the most unprofessional moment I have ever experienced. I didn't get the chance to explain the situation and I was already told before I could finish I was doing my job wrong. When I am in the wrong I own up to my mistakes but at no moment was this my fault, an argument started to develop in the front desk and we took it to the office. It was so upsetting, It was the most stressful moment in my life and I should've walked out that day because I didn't deserve to be disrespected i such a way. I've been there for almost a year now. I am currently looking for another job. There have been some things I have learned, this job has made me confident enough to believe that if I can work here, I can work anywhere. This job has made me stronger and tougher, for this reason I am glad I have experienced this.  less
Productive and fun fast paced workplace
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJSeptember 20, 2018
I liked working here I just wish I had more hours, all the staff were fairly fun and nice to get along with, I had a lot of fun working here and would definitely work here again
Tape your ears to your head.
Steward (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 5, 2018
if you think you can get by with an easy day, you are wrong. turn over rate is so high, after a year and a half being open, there were only 30 out of 200 people that were originally hired. you will bust your butt doing someone else's job.
Extremely Hectic
Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 23, 2018
This location honestly began to put customer satisfaction over employee satisfaction and that did not sit well with me. The way they talked to their staff definitely needed to be changed.
Worst management
Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJAugust 14, 2018
Overall the Grand Lux seems to be a perfect fit however things take a turn for the worst. Due to lack of management the flow of things never go as intended. Alot of issues with pay rates changes and hours. I left the grand lux and will never work for them again.
good money
Server (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 6, 2018
Working at the GLC was nice for a little while because the money was good and steady but the management could have been better. There was alot of people that would get away with not doing sidework.
very fun upbeat place to work
Food Server (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 31, 2018
if given a chance I would defiantly go back to work for them...
One of the best places I worked. Loved the management . Very helpful, friendly and all about team work. this place was more than a job to me it was family.
Horrible management
Server (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 24, 2018
Poor unprofessional management, a lot of favoritism. Kitchen staff and floors are very unsanitary and disgusting. Majority of the dishes there are horrifyingly gross. Don't eat here or work here .
Good money bad management
Server (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAJuly 23, 2018
By working at grand lux, I have been able to make lifelong friends and have created timeless relationships with guest. The tips are one reason I have not left yet. Management seems perfect on the outside but has many flaws.