Grand Rapids Public Schools

Grand Rapids Public Schools Employee Reviews

Love working with the students.
GRPS is a great place to work if you enjoy being part of your community in a classroom setting.
Being a government job there are financial drawbacks with supply needs and salary advancement.
Okay
Poor structure. Very top heavy in admin, and then puts a lot of work on building principals. Lack of support and a lot of nepotism. Quality employees leave.
The job give me opportunities to gain new and different skills
Over my nineteen years of employment I was able to work and advance to many different areas of skills and expertise. One of the best parts of working at Grand Rapids Public Schools, was being able to work with my coworkers to beautify the surrounding of the schools and their facilities.
Pros
retirement and healthcare
A nice olace to work
I enjoyed working at GRPS. I learned a lot and enjoyed working with the children. The downside to working for GRPS was having our department privatized out without the employees being notified in advance.
It was okay
My review was okay this was my second head coaching job with grps then I was head coach at Lansing Sexton great experience grps was a good place to work good opportunity their a lot of support and good facility and equipment grps is very helpful at all times a sees are very helpful and since able at all time a head coach can make own schedule pick tournaments
Pros
Very helpful easy to talk to
Cons
Health care
Leave a review. Help people like you.
Supportive staff
Work days range from 9-14 hours. Weekends spent grading papers and preparing lessons. Excellent support staff. I worked in a Title 1 school, very little parent support.
Pros
Wonderful students and staff
Cons
Long hours, high stress
Teacher schedule, teacher headaches!!
Depending on the school you are in your colleagues and staff is why you will keep going back every day, as far as the students are concerned it is an urban inner-city environment where you’ll have a mixture of students; good, bad, challenging, pains in the butt, enthusiastic......
Pros
Summers and holidays mostly off, colleagues
Cons
Administration, too many Asst. Superintendents, too many people in positions where they are not qualified
Hardest Working Teachers In Michigan
Simply put, GRPS is home to some of the hardest working teachers in Michigan. It was a pleasure to serve along side them. On par for inner-city public schools in America, there are exceedingly high expectations for educators, but not the resources or support requisite to realize all of them. This was particularly true for new teachers. Very "sink or swim".
Good Place to Work
I like working here. It is a good place to start your professional career or even work here for many years. Not as bad as some people make it out to seam.
Pros
Benefits and the amount of days off
Cons
Payroll messes up a lot
Great
good schools to work for but the pay doesnt equal the work, we are always strugling with the union to get better pay and benefits

Good reviews and good food
Pros
free lunch
Cons
15 minute break
Nice place to work
Nice place to work. I really enjoyed working with the students. I was there for over 35 years, so I've worked in many spectrums of the educational field in different programs and with a variety of students.
Pros
Students, healthcare and dental benefits
Cons
Unruly students sometimes
GRPS is a underestimated
Good district to look into for public education. The educational staff love the children and families that they serve. I am proud to have had the opportunity to work there. Grand Rapids Public Schools tries very hard to train the staff through various in-services and staff development. I learned so much as a new teacher. This position was a blessing coming out of school.
Stressful stepping stone to get to where your going.
Work to maintain a safe school environment , while building relationships with staff, students, and parents. Keeping track of each event throughout the day and providing a running log.
Students personal growth and educational success
I maintain a calm and consistent classroom environment where my students and students in the building feel comfortable to ask questions and discuss life, be themselves and create those meaningful relationships.
Classroom management is the primary focus, along with being able to collaboratively work with others in the best interest of the students or goal we are trying to achieve.

We must be creative and understanding into what motivates a student, while also being able to understand their home and school life in a way that they can still make progress on a daily basis.
Pros
Watching kids become successful, co-workers
Cons
not clear changes/guidelines, paperwork on top of daily classroom responsibilities
Stressful but rewarding
This job is extremely complex and demanding. There are many factors involved in the overall workplace atmosphere. It is a stressful career that can become more stressful depending on the principal and colleagues you work with at an individual school.
High stress/High Personal Satisfaction
Teaching - the worst job you'll ever love! High stress, but high personal satisfaction. The work environment varies depending on which school or building you are in. Many highly collaborative, supportive schools.
Employees MUST possess cultural competencies, as well as a thorough understanding of the effect of poverty on learning and educational outcomes.
Grps
HR is a mess, they take forever to get back to you. There is a lack of communication between what seems like everyone. Supervisors are put there on same cases based off of who they know, not what they know.
Productive, fun, flexible when communicated effectively
The intervention Specialist position is one that will help build character in the aspect of helping others while building responsibility within ones self.
Pros
workplace, chemistry
Cons
nothing
It's an ok job
Most no work in between holidays are unpaid.
No pay during summer.

Insurance co pay is expensive. High deductions in pay check.

There is no team work in the school where I work.

The principal recently quit.
The elementary school had a staff that was supportive and collaborative and a positive school culture
I worked at Palmer Elementary in Grand Rapids Public Schools. The principal at the time was amazing. He developed a very positive school climate and the students really liked him. The positive behavior program that they used was extremely successful and it was a great place to work.
Great Boss
First of all I was a temp so I can only respond to what I've experienced. I went in to this position not knowing anything about being a school secretary but the principal was great! He took time, even in the business of his day, to train me on what I needed to know. So that is really all I have to say at this point.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grand Rapids Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
2.1Personal Development
2.0Career Opportunities
1.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Grand Rapids Public Schools Reviews by Location