Grand Rapids Public Schools Employee Reviews

Working with K-12 was a great experience
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 9, 2015
It was most enjoyable working with K-12 students.It gives you experience and I had the most fun working as a physical education teacher.The system had co-workers that provided helpful instruction.
Loved the summers off, salary rates for teachers, free parking,evaluation from adminstrative was positive
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 17, 2015
I enjoyed working for Grand Rapids Public Schools until the year before I retired.
At that time with a new superintendent and a new principal at the high school where I worked the direction of how they viewed veteran teachers were negative and undocumented.
I had 30 years in and was going to stay longer but the drive to push teachers out that was on top of pay scale was there.
I had my first negative evaluation in all my years of teaching. So I just retired.
Pros
Great Health insurance, Paid sick leaves, A spring break and Christmas break with pay
Cons
Politics
A professional atmosphere with a variety of experiences
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 13, 2015
GRPS is a very large district that has a very diverse population. Students from many different socio-economical backgrounds. That staffing is very large and can be difficult to work with a times.
Pros
Lots of opportunities
Cons
Lack of leadership and organization at times.
Sub. Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Grand RapidsMarch 6, 2015
I love working at Russ' on Alpine. I loved the employees and the customers. I worked mostly morning shifts and lunch shifts.
Great People, Great place to work
Classroom Instructional Aide (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 22, 2014
I worked for an awesome school with great kids, and excellent teachers.
Best Job ever
Secretary to the Director of Transportation (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 2, 2014
I wore many hats during my employment but loved every minute of it.
May-field Public School
Cook (Former Employee) –  Race St Grand Rapids Public Schools, MichiganAugust 28, 2014
It was very tough working at that school due to the fact the children at that school had behavioral problems. But the job itself was good I had to cook and serve the food to those kids. I had to be cautious and smart about to protect myself as well as the rest of the staff. I had to leave that school for better paying job.
Pros
I enjoyed serving the kids
Cons
Better paying job
Family Oriented
Family Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 1, 2014
Great District to work for! The Pay is great and everyone is wonderful to work with. There are always numerous trainings to attend and many opportunities to give back.
A diverse and dynamic school system to work for
sUBSTITUTE TEACHER, GRADES 7-12 (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 21, 2014
Substitute teaching was a challenging and rewarding experience, daily. I enjoyed working with learners in grades 7-12, in many courses of study.
Pros
Diversity
Cons
Parking was a problem occasionally, otherwise none
GRPS was great place to work. Team work was the mission.
Office Manager/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 21, 2014
I had the opportunity to become a better person being part of Grand Rapids Public Schools. I gave me opportunity to continue my education and learn to be a life learner.
Pros
Multiple job level opportunities, educational opportunities, home with my children when they were home.
Cons
Cut backs in the education made us take on more responsibility with frozen pay rates.
Productive and fun workplace, liked the field trips.
Public Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 9, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job was watching the children grow in their academics. I dont like that there was not room for advancements.
Pros
feild trips
Cons
no advancements
I love working with Students,parents and the community...
Secretary/Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids,MichiganDecember 11, 2013
I have enjoyed working for grps. I love working with the students,parents and the community. You never know how your day will go and that is the great thing about my job. I have learned many thinga from many people including my Principals, students,staff. I have grown so very much and I believe it is time for me to make a change in my life. The hardest thing is I will miss all the students and the staff.

I love that I have touched so many lives and watcch those students grow and come back and tell me that I touched their lives. That is so rewarding.
Pros
Working with sudents, parents and the community.
Cons
I am as far as I can go on the pay and would love to work 40hrs insstead of 32hrs.
Teaching from the heart
Biology Teacher (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 1, 2013
I have always enjoyed working with the GRPS district. I love the diversity in student population throughout the district. I enjoyed working with colleagues who have drive and desire to accomplish district goal when time calls for it. The hardest part of the job is seeing the student I have a for a semester leave to go somewhere else. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing I ignite something new in each child mind, the "aha" moment. That is the most rewarding moment.
Pros
Big class size
Cons
Diverse student population
Productive and Exciting
Cook (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MI 49503September 25, 2013
Good Co-workers and easy to work with I learned a lot about working on a time schedule to make sure everything was ready in a short time period.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Fast Pace
Mentoring students
Intervention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 3, 2013
Mentoring students in the innter school about academic achievement, making good choices
and improving their behavior.
Teacher
Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 12, 2013
To manage and prepare to teach young people valuable material to advance their education.
Pros
Teaching young people, working with colleagues on projects
Cons
Not very much job security
Management/Administration is unresponsive and unsupportive
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 28, 2013
Over-all, administration/management is not interested in the concerns of the staff working directly with the children. Bullying of staff is not addressed, even when it is brought to those at the administrative level. At the teacher level and support staff level, salaries are inadequate, while administrators are well paid. The work environment was intense on a daily basis, allowed for hostile relationships, required an unrealistic workload and lacked in resources to support expectations of staff.
Pros
great kids
Cons
see review above
GRPS can do better
Tutor and Mentor (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 4, 2013
Working for GRPS was a challenge due to more discipline issues, high lay off, and low parental involvement.
Pros
Some building have good principals
Cons
Lay off too much, more behavior issues than surrounding school districts.
fun and challenging
Varsity Football Coach (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 24, 2013
Working for GRPS was fun because I was a football coach. The job offered a lot of different challenges because I was working with high school children but overall I liked the job a lot
Extremely good staff with flexibility for employees with families
DEAN TRANSPORTATION/Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 17, 2013
I loved the staff and everybody there. There was no problem that the supervisors wouldn't understand and didn't try to help with. I just didn't like the fact that anybody could lose there job so quickly from an unintentional act. I learned a lot about having patience with children and dealing with discipline problems. The hardest part of the job was being able to handle so many kids at one time and being able to concentrate on driving and the roads all at the same time. But the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting and interacting with all of the different kids.
Pros
financial assistance, days off when kids were off school, gifts from mr. dean
Cons
too many unpaid breaks, job security, healthcare