GRAND RIVER DAM AUTHORITY Employee Reviews

Great benefits less than great management
O&M Technician 3 (Current Employee) –  Chouteau, OKJanuary 11, 2019
Upper management at the coal fire plant makes this job stressful. I’ve been in this line of work for most my life & actually like doing it. When your job is to help the plant run efficiently but supervisors don’t process work orders & then they complain about lack of efficiency.
Do yourself a favor & try for the Dam.
Pros
Benefits & pay
Cons
Upper management, some favoritism, & lack of consistency in schedule
Hole Watch/ Fire Watch
Hole Watch/Fire Watch (Former Employee) –  Chouteau, OKSeptember 11, 2018
Barricade all overhead work areas and made sure all my fire extinguisher's were placed where all overhead and fire permits were assigned. Monitor all work areas and made sure all my co workers were doing ok.
Pros
30 min luch break
Cons
n/a
Best Place in Oklahoma to Work.
Senior Systems Operator-Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vinita, OKJuly 8, 2018
The Grand River Dam Authority is the best place to work in Oklahoma. The pay is fantastic. The employees are like family. I miss working there. It was a big mistake retiring from there, even though it was a full retirement.
Pros
Home away from home.
Cons
I'm not there anymore.
Good job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Vinita, OKJuly 4, 2018
I enjoyed my time at GRDA. It has a family atmosphere and is generally flexible. Management is often loose without enough structure or guidance. Depending on the department opportunities to advance are limited. Benefits are excellent.
Pros
good benefits, good atmosphere
Cons
Unknown expectations
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Pryor, OKMay 18, 2018
GRDA was a wonderful internships during the summers in college. I learned so much in the substation and vehicle maintenance summer jobs. The men were so very helpful and easy to work for as long as you did your job well.
Pros
Learning and working with the guys
Cons
long hot and somewhat stressful hours
Good work hours
Journerman Lineman (Current Employee) –  Pryor, OKMarch 6, 2018
I enjoy working 4-10's at GRDA. They are willing to work with your schedule and give due time off for both sickness and vacation time. As with all places it has its ups and downs, but overall a good place to work close to home.
Work alone on the job but also with good team players
Generation System Operator (Current Employee) –  Locust Grove, OK 74352March 3, 2018
My job as power system operator has considerable responsibility because I work 12-hour shifts alone at a desk and surrounded by computer monitors. The most difficult part of the job is the need for fast-paced decisions at times which may be scrutinized later. The most enjoyable part of the job is the quiet times during night shifts and weekends when everybody else is gone and I am working alone.
The shifts are two or three days each, with two days off between, and this allows for staggering days off from work regardless of weekends.
My supervisor is only a phone call away if I have a real problem or question and he is a great support and help when needed. Otherwise, he leaves the operators alone to do their jobs according to their best judgment. Upper management is outwardly positive, but somewhat slow to award regular pay raises unless employees quit and leave the company for better pay and better benefits elsewhere.
Pros
Regular time off during week days and week ends
Cons
12-hour rotating shifts year around
Good benefits and work/life balance.
Foreman/ Crew Lead (Former Employee) –  Vinita, OKDecember 17, 2017
Great vacation and sick leave benefits. The management was unexperienced in the field they were over causing tension between them and the skilled workers under them.
Great place to learn and grow
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 28, 2017
Good learning opportunity for working in a power company that deals with coal, gas and hydroelectric power. Had the chance to interact with electrical and civil engineers.
Innovative and Rewarding place to work
Mechanical Maintenance Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Chouteau, OKJune 18, 2014
Start time: 0700 Finish Time 1530 or sometimes later. Requires unusual hours. Management is very consistent. Good team. Unusual hours is challenging at times but have fair method of sharing.
Pros
Challenging Assignments
Cons
Temperature Extremes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GRAND RIVER DAM AUTHORITY. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5