Grand Traverse Pavilions Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Toxic management environment
Universal Worker / Dietary Assistance (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJuly 20, 2018
Management was increasingly critical and narrowly focused when I left. Crazy accusations and very unfriendly HR and "corporate compliance policies". The person who took over as head manager of policy was beyond difficult. If you can handle highly political/confrontational work environment, you WILL get decent benefits, but it simply isn't worth it in the long (10-20 year career) term.
Benefits
Cons
Terrible Upper Management
Ok
Launderer (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJuly 17, 2018
It is an okay place to work. Pay does not cover responsibilities, however. You are expected to do the job of 2 or 3 people. It is stressful in the sense of trying to complete the job in a timely manner.
Day at work
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJune 5, 2018
Loved working here but I felt it was a bit stressful when there was short staffing. My co-workers were to get along with and we worked well as a team.
Wonderful residents, poor managers in certain departments
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIApril 29, 2018
Certain management make it a hostile environment. I loved the residents but it was too stressful to stay. If you want to be a CENA I say go for it just don't go into environmental services.
Sexist
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIFebruary 22, 2018
Will refuse to hire and or treat males with respect, treats you like an idiot and has no care for you. If you wanna be treated poorly for .50 cents more an hour then go for it.
Pros
Non
Cons
Not enough space to write them
GT Pavillions
Kitchen Aid (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJanuary 23, 2018
Management to me was very biased and scheduling was very confusing. Time off (Vacation) were accepted and still got performance "points" taken off. The hardest part of this job was cleaning dishes or bussing because pureed foods got stuck under your nails, splattered on your uniform and face. The only enjoyable part would be the community you were put in. Cooks were very respectable and nice. The cleanliness of the kitchen although Kitchen Aids were to clean, was very poor. I felt dirty even being in the Kitchen.
Pros
Friendship
Cons
Healthcare, Uncleanliness
January 25, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. Grand Traverse Pavilions contracts food service through an outside company, Sodexo, and we will be sure to pass along your comment to them.

Stressful place to work
Maintenance/Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIAugust 4, 2017
Management show no respect to the workers. No room for advancement unless you know someone in upper management. Moral is very low and most employees express an overall bad attitude toward management.
Pros
pay is good
Cons
No advancement
Very rewarding
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJune 23, 2017
I loved my job at the Pavilions. I loved the people I helped and the people I worked with. If I ever move back to Michigan I would most definitely go back to work for them.
July 17, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful review! We appreciate hearing about your personal experience and are glad to know that you enjoyed working with our residents and team members.

Horrible place to work
Universal Worker (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJune 22, 2017
Working here had to be one of the most stressful yet mentally draining experience of my life. Working in a Universal Worker position was not only stressful enough when management expects you to know how to do every positon ranging from laundry to child care, but also a smack to the face when they tell you its a "not existent" position. Management does nothing to make sure you are fully trained they just expect you to know how to do a task. underpaid for as much as they do this is a horrible place and environment to work in. I truly feel sorry for the residents who have to endure such horrible staffing because of overworked and underpaid staff.
Cons
lucky if you even get a full break
One of the better nursing facilities to work at as a CNA
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIApril 9, 2017
Out of all the nursing homes in the immediate grand traverse area, the Grand Traverse Pavilions is one of the better facilities when it comes to benefits and wages. Nurse aide work is very stressful, and the turnover rate is high.
Pros
Wages, benefits
Cons
high stress work
Entry Level Food Service
Food Server (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJanuary 26, 2017
Great for learning the ropes in food service and hospitality industry. No real opportunities for job growth or career development. Expect to be working weekdays and holidays all year around.
February 6, 2017

Don't work here you'll regret it
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJanuary 11, 2017
A typical day would be to come into work and find out that the previous shift left your area a mess. You then had to spend hours trying to clean up their mess and then try to get your own shift done.
Pros
Pay high
Cons
Management doesn't care about you only the money they get from the residents
Residents are excellent but the management is awful
cna (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJanuary 13, 2016
The pavillions has a horrible managment especially the HR department. Favoritism is heavily shown in schedules and in job selection in reference to floors and shifts. The DoN is very nice and cares for the residets as well as the staff but all other upper managment only care about their paycheck. Residents are really nice and it hard not to want to give them your best effort in taking care of them. Pay is good for a CNA but this job will stress you out and the longer you work here the less secure your job feels.
Pros
Really good residents
Cons
Managment, terrible cost for family medical insurance
good work place bad communication
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MINovember 20, 2014
I enjoyed the residents work place was good had good staff plus the union was their food was good choices on meals workers good with the residents
Excellent Benefits.
CNA (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIApril 9, 2014
Excellent place to work, amazing nursing home. The CNA class is taught amazingly. I would feel comfortable with my family living here. As far as pay and benefits go--excellent for CNA work, and most positions in general. However, upper-management is very rude and condescending towards CNA's and they have a high turn-over rate. I would suggest working midnights, only, to avoid this.
Pros
Benefits, high-pay, union protection, CNA class free if you pass panel interview and background check/drug and TB test.
Cons
Must get flu shot, or wear mask 24/7, intimidating panel interview, unions can also be a bad detail at times, hard to work outside employment to get through CNA class, upper-management is not understanding and condescending
Wonderful Residents
Universal Worker (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJanuary 14, 2014
Being a Universal Worker is very rewarding and encompasses many things. My day includes cleaning residents rooms, helping out with meals such as serving and clean up, Med pass, help out with activities, give showers, laundry, help get residents ready for bed.

The hardest part of the job is seeing a resident go down-hill, as these residents have dementia.

It is rewarding to be of help in any way and the families are very appreciative.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
Long shifts
Scary management, great residents
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIDecember 2, 2013
The day starts with dining room and pantry setup/stock, retrieving meal orders, serving meals, cleanup of dining rooms as well as complete dish washing and sanitation after completion of meals, special event catering/setup and cleanup as needed, bulk production and prep work depending on position for the day, as well as production of items to be sold in cafe when on cafe shift.

Worst Place Ever. Do not work here
Cook Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MISeptember 28, 2013
This was the single worst kitchen job that I've ever had. Management was clueless. If you needed a day off and gave them notice (even a few weeks) they would mess it up every single time and make it your problem to fix it. Completely clueless ex union staff trained to do exactly what was written down and not a thing more. In my 11 months there I watched them pull a 100% staff turnover. Even watched one girl walk in and then walk out 5 minutes later. Plus the nursing staff is super mean to the kitchen staff because its a different company, so they don't feel like they have to be nice to you because as far as they see it your just a temp. I could go on and on but I assure you this is not the place for you. Totally clueless.
Pros
Cons
work environment

work
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIAugust 21, 2013
night and afternoon shifts are the best
day shifts very hectic with activity and Families
Pros
union
Cons
call ins
Good Experience
CNA (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIMay 29, 2013
This job was very demanding on the body and mentally. A CNA is always at a constant movement, caring for patients, cleaning and picking up, ect. I learned a lot there, there is a lot to patient care and ensuring that it is a job well done at the end of the day. The co-workers were friendly overall. The most enjoyable part of the job was the patients.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grand Traverse Pavilions. Our community is ready to answer.

Grand Traverse Pavilions Reviews by Location