Grand Valley State University Employee Reviews

Productive environment for work
Graduate Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 9, 2019
One can independently work at GVSU. The management does not micromanage employees and it is a great learning environment. The pay was not sufficient for this position.
Good place
Game Operations Intern (Former Employee) –  Allendale, MIMarch 26, 2019
I only worked there for a little bit but during my time it was a fun place to work at. Each day was something different and the people you are around are generally pretty nice.
Great Place
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Allendale, MIMarch 18, 2019
The people here are great, and it is a very low stress environment. I enjoy what I do here, and there is never a lack of excitement in a work day, whether it be surprise tasks, or whatnot.
Easy job with flexible hours
Student webpage creator for a historical database (Current Employee) –  Allendale, MIMarch 13, 2019
My job involved the creation of a database for the Freedmen's bureau. It was based off of a grant contract where I would only work 400 hours. The goal was to finish the job in one semester, but it was not necessary that it be completed by the end of it since I was hired in later in the fall semester. I only ever worked with three other people: the professor and two IT instructors. The professor was a little baffled by technology, so sometimes it would be difficult explaining what I was doing, but so long as all the work was getting done he was satisfied. The most enjoyable part of the job was that I could work on it anytime, anywhere on my own schedule.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Communication errors
Be Careful
Strategic Lead for Org Planning and Assessment (Current Employee) –  Allendale, MIMarch 8, 2019
The librarians are very toxic, passive aggressive individuals who hold grudges. They have low EQ, lack empathy and lack professionalism. Librarians should not be tenured faculty, rather they should be AP staff.
Decent
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Allendale, MI 49401March 5, 2019
This place is pretty good to work at while in school. It is not far and the people there are really nice. I learned a lot from my experience and would recommend it to others.
All-inclusive, flexible work
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Allendale, MIFebruary 16, 2019
Grand Valley State University is an all-inclusive work environment. Resident assistants have a flexible schedule, and they have more than enough opportunity to further their studies and their careers. The employers of Housing and Residents life, along with all other departments, are very willing to work with students and their employees.
Pros
Free room and board
Working with the students was great. Most of the staff was good, a couple bad eggs.
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 10, 2019
The BSN program at GVSU offers an excellent learning environment. Most of the staff is dedicated to the success of the students, however there are a couple who are not. The simulations offered to the students is an excellent learning tool and the proctors did a great job of running them.
Pros
The students, the work environment, great facilites
Cons
parking
Best place I have ever worked
Student Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Allendale, MIJanuary 5, 2019
Honestly, this is the best job one could ever ask for on campus. Getting in to work here is very hard and competitive.Management is great and the co-workers are even better!
Productive fun environment coaching the collegiate athletes of the Grand Valley State Bowling Team
Grand Valley State University Head Bowling Coach (Former Employee) –  Allendale, MIDecember 27, 2018
the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to spread my vast knowledge of the sport of bowling, physically and mentally to the collegiate athletes at Grand Valley State University.
Pros
Heavy Discounts on all equipment related to Bowling
Cons
only a part time job
Great staff to assist new employees
Traffic Coordinator/ Money Handler (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 18, 2018
The work was simple, the only issue being customers. The management staff did their best to help the employees out when it was needed. Time seemed to stretch on but remaining focused was the key to succeeding. Staying warm in the cold climate was a struggle but it didn't amount to a large issue,
Pros
Meet new people, easy pay
Cons
Annoying fellow employees
Fantastic!
Fueling Hub Manager (Current Employee) –  Allendale, MIDecember 10, 2018
GVSU is a fantastic place to work! Being a college campus the work environment is always buzzing with innovation and positive energy! I would highly recommend working at GVSU.
Easy work
Chemistry Stockroom Assistant (Current Employee) –  Allendale, MINovember 25, 2018
Don't really need to know chemistry, just how to follow a "recipe." There's a lot of time to do homework. This is a very low stress job. People are easy to get along with
Undergraduate research position
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Allendale, MINovember 14, 2018
Studied the effects of various metals in their relation to growth of Staphylococcus lugdunensis as well as assisted in the compilation of a mutant library of the same species using transposon Tn917.
Wonderful University with many friendly people
Genetics and Physiology Tutor (Former Employee) –  Allendale, MINovember 14, 2018
Grand Valley provided me with several great jobs to help advance into my current career. It had many part time job options I benefited from while also going to school full time. The campus is beautiful.
Graduate Assistantship good experience
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 4, 2018
The graduate assistantship is a wonderful idea for a graduate student. It helped me to develop leadership skills, communication skills, and time management skills.
Internship
Research Internship (Former Employee) –  301 Michigan St NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503October 1, 2018
This internship involved working with a mentoring professor with which an experiment was prepared and eventually executed. the findings were then corroborated and presented to a panel of other professors.
excellent work environment
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 13, 2018
A lovely place to work. GVSU cares about the faculty, staff and the students they serve. They provide a strong emphasis on students' welfare and learning.
Pros
well organized
Cons
long work days
Fun Job but definitely temporary
Swim Lesson Coach (Former Employee) –  Allendale, MISeptember 4, 2018
I loved working for GVSU. I was a student at the time and loved being on campus. Management tended to take a while to respond to email requests, but other than that, it was a wonderful summer job. I met some cool people and learned quite a bit as well.
Great for On-Campus Work
Student IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Allendale, MIJuly 25, 2018
The workdays had their usual rushes, but it was all manageable, even by those who weren't tech savvy. I would recommend this to anyone who is interested. The experience definitely looks good on a resume if it is relevant to your field.
Pros
Flexible. Good work culture.
Cons
None.