Grand Valley State University Employee Reviews

4.4
Ratings breakdown
Okay as a starting job
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Allendale, MIJune 10, 2018
You won't make lots of money, and management can be iffy, but its something to do with an income on campus. I worked as a tutor here and it was wonderful, but working in campus dining isn't as pleasant (as I have heard).
Great place for student workers
IT Support (Former Employee) –  Allendale, MIMay 27, 2018
This job was among the highest paying GVSU student jobs and the people there were just amazing and the atmosphere allowed for you to do your homework on slow days and it provided so much experience when working with people that I use it every single day.
Student Assistant in Calder Art Center
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Allendale, MIMay 27, 2018
I had this job the entire time I was at Grand Valley, I loved working with the professors and helping them with what they needed. I mostly input grades and organized the office, and did some grading myself. It was a great part-time job set up through Grand Valley that allowed me to get some extra money while I was earning my Bachelor's degree. I'd highly recommend looking into being a student assistant in any department at Grand Valley.
A great place to work
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 23, 2018
GVSU is a great place to work.

Transcribed interviews, assisted professors with their undergraduate courses when needed, and co-presented original research at the 2016 American Society of Criminology Annual Meeting.
TOUR GUIDE AND ADMISSIONS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Allendale, MIMay 16, 2018
A great environment for outgoing, ambitious students to collaborate and work together. The hours were extremely flexible, which made it much easier to maintain a rigorous academic schedule than I would have expected
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
boring office work
This was not a job
Faculty/Student Collaborative Research Project (Former Employee) –  Allendale, MIMay 10, 2018
This was not a job, I literally just went to school at Grand Valley State University. Indeeds is stupid and needs to get their stuff together. tad daaaa
Great place to work as a student
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Allendale, MIMay 3, 2018
Tutoring is an easy gig if you know the subject material. You commit to one-hour weekly sessions and can take on as many or as few as you want. Overall, I enjoyed it.
Classic office job
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Allendale, MIApril 29, 2018
All of the student workers are extremely nice. The office workers are also very nice and always ready to ask questions. Nice breaks and easy work. Fun employee events.
Relaxed, easy job
Library Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 14, 2018
A typical day included attending to patrons that entered the library area, and managing the service desk. Occasional printer jams occurred that I was required to solve, but those were infrequent. Straightened and tidied the library. Managed books from other libraries - lots of sending and receiving of books. Scanned books to documents to be sent to students.
Supervisors were amazing. My job always felt safe and my supervisors were more than willing to work with me for scheduling conflicts. My schedule was always a priority.
Most enjoyable part of the job is I got to work on homework throughout my shift and sometimes my supervisor bought me lunch.
Pros
Free lunches, flexible schedule, can work on homework
Great place to work.
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Allendale, MIApril 9, 2018
I would say I work at a great place. My supervisors are fantastic, very flexible with hours, and really create a great work place environment. Very convenient job for all GVSU students.
Pros
Great atmosphere.
Cons
Overall good place to be
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Allendale, MIApril 3, 2018
You are around people who want you to succeed in your field of choice and who will push you towards it. Grand Valley have treated me well. I can see myself returning back here one day.
Pros
Amazing People, amazing students
Summary
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Allendale, MIMarch 29, 2018
I love GV with all of my heart. It's an extremely positive and collaborative space to be in. Everyone is looking out for you and wants you to truly be your best self.
Great place to work!
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 28, 2018
This job was a great way to learn more about the professors in my department and expand my network. Everyone within the various departments had to send me their pertinent documentation all the time.

Dean Grant was very friendly, willing to make meaningful conversation, and looking to engage with student workers. This great attitude carried throughout all of the departments by Professors and Staff that were housed in the College of Community and Public Service.

Amazing organizational culture and people willing to help their students and clients.
Great People!
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 28, 2018
It was awesome working in the Career Center. My immediate was extremely friendly and still challenged to bring the best out of you. This position worked greatly in honing my abilities and broadening my skill set. The work environment is very friendly and they understand the academic load of student workers. I had an amazing experience overall.
Fast pace environment - meet a lot of people
Senior Student Manager (Current Employee) –  Allendale, MIMarch 22, 2018
A typical day at work involves scheduling, hiring/firing, preparing meetings, fulfilling audits, managing the floor, preparing food, cashier.

FFC is very diverse with about 70% of its staff being minorities.

The hardest part of the job is balancing everyone's personalities and positions.

The most enjoyable part of the job has been the level of responsibility and getting to know my supervisors.
Pros
Meal compensation, friendly people
Cons
work place politics
I have no opinion as I am a clinical preceptor
Manager (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 15, 2018
I am a clinical preceptor for Grand Valley State College and Sparrow Hospital is a teaching hospital so there is no payment for performance. The team teaches the student and I supervise the student and the team.
Pros
teaching
Cons
no pay
Intern
Athletic Communications Intern-Assistant (Current Employee) –  Allendale, MIMarch 11, 2018
- Normal Office hours
- Have learned graphic design skills
- Work with other departments
- Aside from office hours, work is done on the weekend and at nights
- Very good position to gain experience
grand valley
Distribution assistant (Former Employee) –  Allendale, MIMarch 9, 2018
Grand Valley State University is a great school to work for and attend. They have so many opportunities for students for either work study or on campus jobs.
I love working for the library
UX student assistant (Current Employee) –  Allendale, MIMarch 9, 2018
The library is full of amazing people who are all working to make it a space that is for the students. Everything we/they do it strived towards their needs and benefits. the place is well managed and a brilliant place to work and obtain skills.
Pros
the people, the job
Cons
exam cram is stressful
Worked for Climate Reality Project
Climate Reality Project Campus Organizer (Former Employee) –  Allendale, MIMarch 7, 2018
It was an easy internship. It mainly involving raising awareness on campus about sustainable solutions that the campus could have for 100% renewable electricity.